Â Dr.Â Gabriele Hammermann, director of the Dachau Concentration Camp Memorial Site, presents a photograph of the plaque commemorating Max Eckert during her speech.
Â Â JULY 9, 2018
Anonymous No More: Max Eckert Commemorated at Dachau Concentration Camp Memorial Site
During a ceremony held on MayÂ 7, 2018, the Dachau Concentration Camp Memorial Site revealed to an audience of some 200 people a plaque memorializing Brother Max Eckert who was imprisoned at the former Dachau camp for over two years before being sent to the notorious Mauthausen concentration camp in Austria. He never returned home. Though Brother Eckert died in relative obscurity, he is now recognized publicly as a man of unshakable faith.
Â Recent photograph of the former Dachau concentration camp, where Max Eckert was imprisoned before he was sent to Mauthausen.
Â Mauthausen concentration camp, where Max Eckert died.
Records disclose Brother EckertÂ’s legacy of integrity. He and his wife were fined as early as 1935 for speaking to others about their faith. He later lost his job because he refused to carry a flag with a swastika. In 1937, he became one of the approximately 600 dauntless JehovahÂ’s Witnesses interned in Dachau. Over two years later, he was transferred to Mauthausen where at least 90,000 prisoners died from the brutal conditions. On FebruaryÂ 21, 1940, Brother EckertÂ’s wife received a telegram that unceremoniously announced: Â“Husband died today in the camp. For further details contact the police.Â” He was 43 years old.
During her presentation at the ceremony, Dr.Â Gabriele Hammermann, director of the Dachau Concentration Camp Memorial Site, explained: Â“The Bible Students [as JehovahÂ’s Witnesses were then known] were persecuted because their beliefs did not allow them to become members of any Nazi organizations, give the Hitler salute, or participate in military service.Â” She further stated: Â“Former fellow prisoners [described] the attitude of the Bible Students with great respect and especially [emphasized] their steadfastness and willingness to help.Â”
Brother Wolfram Slupina, a spokesman for JehovahÂ’s Witnesses in Germany, acknowledged that Brother Eckert was an obscure figure to many attendees of the ceremony, stating: Â“We do not even have a picture of Max Eckert.Â” But he added, the plaque succeeds in Â“acknowledging the steadfastness [Brother Eckert] showed and his religious conviction without compromiseÂ—even to death.Â”
Without question, Jehovah remembers the faith and integrity of Max Eckert, as well as all other JehovahÂ’s Witnesses who have died for their faith.Â—Hebrews 6:10.
By Queen Esther
Am 22. März 1943 wurde der Bau des Krematoriums IV in Auschwitz II-Birkenau abgeschlossen
Der Entkleidungsraum und die Gaskammer wurden im Erdgeschoss gebaut. Die Gaskammer (auf der RÃ¼ckseite des Archivfotos sichtbar) war in drei RÃ¤ume unterteilt und hatte insgesamt 236,78 Quadratmeter. Die AuÃŸenwÃ¤nde hatten LÃ¶cher mit gasdichten FalltÃ¼ren zum Einsetzen von Zyklon B. In der Mitte des GebÃ¤udes befand sich der Entkleidungsraum. Im Hintergrund - ein Krematoriumsofen mit acht Ã–fen. Nach Berechnungen deutscher Hersteller konnten in diesem Krematorium alle 24 Stunden 768 Leichen verbrannt werden. Das Krematorium wurde am 7. Oktober 1944 von den Gefangenen des Sonderkommandos bei ihrem Aufstand niedergebrannt und anschlieÃŸend demontiert.
Sehen Sie die Seite des Krematoriums und der Gaskammer IV bei unserem virtuellen Besuch:Â Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. Â
Auschwitz Memorial / Museum Auschwitz hat 4 neue Fotos hinzugefÃ¼gt.
22. MÃ¤rz um 21:23 Â·
22 March 1933 | 85 years ago the first official concentration camp was opened in Nazi Germany at the site of an unused gunpowder and munitions factory near the town of Dachau 16 km from Munich. It was indented to hold political opponents of NDSAP.
The first commandant of Auschwitz Rudolf HÃ¶ss began his career in SS-TotenkopfverbÃ¤nde in KL Dachau. He was assigned there in December 1934 & held the post of BlockfÃ¼hrer. Another link between the two camps is the use of "Arbeit macht frei" slogan at their gates.
On March 22, 1943 the construction of crematorium IV was completed at Auschwitz II-Birkenau
The undressing room and the gas chamber was built on the ground level. The gas chamber (visible at the back of the archive photograph) was divided into three rooms and had a total of 236.78 square meters. The exterior walls had holes with gas proof trapdoors for inserting Zyklon B. In the middle of the building there was the undressing room. In the back - one eight-oven crematorium furnace. According to the calculations by German manufacturer, 768 corpses could be burned in this crematorium every 24 hours. Crematorium was burned by the Sonderkommando prisoners in their revolt on October 7, 1944 and subsequently dismantled.
See the site of crematorium and gas chamber IV at our Virtual Visit: Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content.
Most OnlineNewest Member