The Librarian

PRAY - EVEN IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT TO SAY!

Topic Summary

Created

Last Reply

Replies

Views

The Librarian -
Melinda Mills -

Top Posters

A little shepherd boy was watching his sheep one Sunday morning. As he heard the bells ringing the faithful to church, he watched the people walking along the lane next to the pasture. He began to think that he, too, would like to communicate with God. "But what can I say?" he thought. He had never learned a prayer. 

So on bended knee, he began to recite the alphabet - A, B, C, D, and so on to Z, repeating his "prayer" several times.

A man passing by heard the boy's voice, and stopping to look through the bushes, saw the child kneeling with folded hands and closed eyes, saying, "J, K, L, M, ..."

He interrupted the boy, asking, "What are you doing, my little friend?" The boy replied, "I was praying, sir."

Surprised, the man said, "But why are you reciting the alphabet?"

The child explained, "I don't know any prayers, sir. But I want God to take care of me and help me to care for the sheep. So, I thought if I said all I knew, He could put the letters together and spell all that I want to say and should say."

The man smiled and said, "Bless your heart. You're right - God will!"

Remember that Jesus told us to have faith like a child. When you go to God in prayer, don't worry if you don't know what to say. He can put your thoughts and feelings together and send you the answer you need, even when you don't know what you need.

contributed

God hears prayers of all those righteously disposed.

(Acts 10:30-33) Then Cornelius said: “Four days ago counting from this hour, I was praying in my house at the ninth hour; just then a man in bright clothing stood in front of me 31 and said: ‘Cornelius, your prayer has been favorably heard, and your gifts of mercy have been remembered before God. 32 Therefore, send to Jopʹpa and call for Simon who is called Peter. This man is a guest in the house of Simon, a tanner, by the sea.’ 33 I then sent for you at once, and you were kind enough to come here. So now we are all present before God to hear all the things you have been commanded by Jehovah to say.”

(1 John 3:19-22) By this we will know that we originate with the truth, and we will assure our hearts before him 20 regarding whatever our hearts may condemn us in, because God is greater than our hearts and knows all things. 21 Beloved ones, if our hearts do not condemn us, we have freeness of speech toward God; 22 and whatever we ask we receive from him, because we are observing his commandments and doing what is pleasing in his eyes.

(Psalm 65:2) 2 O Hearer of prayer, to you people of all sorts will come.

• Similar Content

• By Jack Ryan
      What about all the kids praying to stop being sexually abused? All the faithful servants praying that their cancer goes into remission?

I think its clear God has no sense of priorities.
    • By The Librarian
      The Scripture in Hebrews 5:14 is quite familiar to us; that mature people have their perceptive powers trained through "use". This implies constant attention to staying active with the spiritual tools and talents available to each of us. But what happens when we slow down in the application of spiritual principles and guidelines in our lives, or become lazy and unproductive?
      A Spanish philosopher tells about the Roman aqueduct at Segovia, in his native Spain. It was built in 109 A.D. For eighteen hundred years, it carried cool water from the mountains to the hot and thirsty city. Nearly sixty generations of men drank from its flow.
      Then came the present generation. One man said, "This aqueduct is so great a marvel that it ought to be preserved for our children as a museum piece. We shall relieve it of its centuries-long labour."
      They did. They laid modern iron pipes. They gave the ancient bricks and mortar a reverent rest. And the aqueduct began to fall apart. The sun beating on the dry mortar caused it to crumble. The bricks and stone sagged and threatened to fall. What ages of service could not destroy, idleness disintegrated.

Here's another story:
      The great violinist, Nicolo Paganini, willed his marvellous violin to Genoa, the city of his birth, but only on condition that the instrument never be played. It was an unfortunate condition, for it is a peculiarity of wood that as long as it is used and handled, it shows little wear. As soon as it is discarded, it begins to decay.
      The exquisite, mellow-toned violin has become worm-eaten in its beautiful case, valueless except as a relic. The mouldering instrument is a reminder that a life withdrawn from all service to others loses its meaning.
      Good reasons then, to carefully consider the necessary actions listed in 2 Peter 1:5-8 that when applied, will "prevent (us) from being either inactive or unfruitful regarding he accurate knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ."
    • By The Librarian
      It is half past ten on Saturday night. I just came back from a walk in the clouds of snow! The first flakes landed yesterday and kept the scenery white for a few hours, and then started to melt. We thought this would be as usual our one-day scenario. Yet it started to snow again late last night.
      Apart from a few hours break around noon, it did not stop snowing, laying a beautiful white carpet on the whole country. A great opportunity for a walk in the park nearby our house! The lake was almost completely frozen and a few ducks were gathered on the small sheltered area where cold would not bite. Just a handful of people had decided to walk around the lake. The trail was nearly immaculate as the footprints were quickly covered. Each step made the characteristically crispy sound of compacted snow. Night's darkness seemed to be kept at a distance as the white decor reflected every bit of light. The branches of the trees were as if dressed with delicate lace. As the intensity of the snow fall increased, my sight got blurred. The details of the landscape faded as millions of  cottonlike crystals floated their way down to earth. I couldn't help but stop, sit down on a bench and admire the spectacle.
      Had it been one degree warmer, it would have rained; one degree cooler, it would only have been cold and humid. The temperature was just right for this phenomenon called snow to occur.
      Jehovah is creating the circumstances that are just right for his purpose to be accomplished. Millions of people are now covering the earth with their Bible-based message reflecting divine glory and shining in this spiritually bedarkened world. Every single of these proclaimers is unique and beautiful, just like a snowflake. If they were by themselves, snowflakes would immediately melt, yet because of their united action, they hold firm together. The effect of this united work of doing God's will accomplished by this cloud of witnesses beautifies formerly spiritually dead-looking people and clothes them with a white attire, an approved standing in Jehovah's eyes. How refreshing their sounding out the Good News is! How beautiful the view of these faithful servants of the only true God! Let us make sure never to be blind to the beauty of Jehovah's purpose and the way it unfolds.
      Let us have a share in beautifying those in need of the Good News in our territory.
    • By The Librarian
      I was watching some little kids play soccer. These kids were only five or six years old, but they were playing a real game - a serious game - two teams, complete with coaches, uniforms, and parents. I didn't know any of them, so I was able to enjoy the game without the distraction of being anxious about winning or losing - I only wished the parents and coaches could have done the same. The teams were pretty evenly matched. I will just call them Team One and Team Two.
      Nobody scored in the first period. The kids were hilarious. They were clumsy and terribly inefficient, as only children can be. 🙂 They fell over their own feet, they stumbled over the ball, they kicked at the ball and missed it, but they didn't seem to care they were having fun!
      In the second period, the Team One coach, pulled out what must have been his first team players and put in the scrubs; with the exception of his best player, who he left at goalie. The game took a dramatic turn. I guess winning is important even when you are five years old, because the Team Two coach left his best players in; the Team One scrubs were just no match for them.
      Team Two swarmed around the little guy at goalie. He was an outstanding athlete for five, but he was no match for three or four who were equally as good. Team Two began to score. The lone goalie gave it his all. Recklessly throwing his body in front of incoming balls, trying valiantly to stop them.
      Team Two scored two quick points in succession. It infuriated the young boy. He became a raging maniac - shouting, running, and diving. With all the stamina he could muster, he finally was able to cover one of the boys as he approached the goal. But, that boy kicked the ball to another boy twenty feet away, and by the time the young goalie repositioned himself, it was too late.
      They scored a third goal. I soon learned who the goalie's parents were. They were nice, decentlooking people. I could tell that his dad had just come from the office, tie and all. They yelled encouragement to their son. I became totally absorbed, watching the boy on the field, and his parents on the sideline. After the third goal, the little kid changed.
      He could see it was no use; he couldn't stop them. He didn't quit, but he became quietly desperate - futility was written all over his face. His father changed too. He had been urging his son to try harder - yelling advice and encouragement. But then he changed; he became anxious. He tried to say that it was okay to hang in there. He grieved for the pain his son was feeling.
      After the fourth goal, I knew what was going to happen. I've seen it before. The little boy needed help so badly, and there was no help to be had. He retrieved the ball from the net and handed it to the referee - and then he cried. He just stood there while huge tears rolled down both cheeks. He went to his knees, I saw his father start onto the field.
      His wife clutched his wrist and said, "Jim, don't. You'll embarrass him." But, he tore loose from her and ran onto the field. He wasn't supposed to for the game was still in progress. Suit, tie, dress shoes, and all - he charged onto the field and he picked up his son so everybody would know that this was his boy. And he hugged him and kissed him and cried with him. I have never been so proud of any man in my life. He carried him off the field, and when they got close to the sidelines I heard him say, "Scotty, I'm so proud of you. You were great out there. I want everybody to know that you are my son."
      "Daddy," the boy sobbed, "I couldn't stop them. I tried, Daddy, I tried and tried and they scored on me." "Scotty, it doesn't matter how many times they score on you. You're my son, and I'm proud of you. I want you to go back out there and finish the game. I know you want to quit, but you can't. And son, you're going to get scored on again, but it doesn't matter. Go on, now."It made a difference - I could tell it did. When you're all alone, and you're getting scored on - and you can't stop them - it means a lot to know that it doesn't matter to those who love you. The little guy ran back on to the field, and they scored two more times; but it was okay.
      I get scored on every day. I try so hard. I recklessly throw my body in every direction. I fume and rage. I struggle with temptation and sin with every ounce of my being - and Satan laughs. And he scores again, and the tears come, and I go to my knees; sinful, convicted, helpless.
      Then my Father rushes right out on the field - right in front of the whole crowd - the whole jeering laughing world, and he picks me up. And he hugs me, and he says, "I am so proud of you. You were great out there. I want everybody to know that you are my child.
      Isaiah 41:10, 13
    • By The Librarian
      If you put a buzzard in a pen six or eight feet square and entirely open at the top, the bird, in spite of his ability to fly, will be an absolute prisoner. The reason is that a buzzard always begins a flight from the ground with a run of ten or twelve feet. Without space to run, as is his habit, he will not even attempt to fly, but will remain a prisoner for life in a small jail with no top.
      The ordinary bat that flies around at night, a remarkably nimble creature in the air, cannot take off from a level place. If it is placed on the floor or flat ground, all it can do is shuffle about helplessly and, no doubt, painfully, until it reaches some slight elevation from which it can throw itself into the air. Then, at once, it takes off like a flash. A bumblebee, if dropped into an open tumbler will be there until it dies, unless it is taken out. It never sees the means of escape at the top, but persists in trying to find some way out through the sides near the bottom. It will seek a way where none exists, until it completely destroys itself. In many ways, there are lots of people like the buzzard, the bat, and the bee. They are struggling about with all their problems and frustrations, not realizing that the answer is right there above them.
      The Psalmist said, "I shall raise my eyes to the mountains. From where will my help come? My help is from Jehovah (Ps 121:1, 2) Our best source of help is just above us, but we need to look up and ask.
    • By The Librarian
      This is a true story about a little girl. There was a fire in her building in Harlem. She was up on the fourth floor at a window and the firemen couldn't get to her, so they spread out nets, and they were yelling for her to jump, but she would not listen to them. It turns out she was blind and couldn't see the net and was afraid to jump. When her father got there he called out to her to jump. Hearing her Dad's voice, she jumped and was totally relaxed. So relaxed that she not only didn't break a bone but also didn't even strain a muscle. We can compare this illustration to our relationship with our heavenly Father. We should have complete and total trust in Jehovah's instructions and just do them.
    • By The Librarian
      Ephesians 4:22, 23: "That you should put away the old personality which conforms to your former course of conduct and which is being corrupted according to his deceptive desires; but that you should be made new in the force actuating your mind."

The verb, "put away"-- in the original Greek language is called the aorist tense. It indicates an action that is taken just once or once and for all. So it must be decisively (conclusively settled) stripped off.

To help you get the sense of this lets illustrate:

When one gives you advise on how to renovate your house, an antique, or a piece of old furniture, the worst words you can hear to solve the problem is: "The only thing you can do to make it right is to strip off the paint."

Why are these hated words? Well, have you ever used paint stripper? Do you know anyone who has ever told you that they like to strip ANYTHING? No one likes it. You get it on you. It burns. Splashes on your face or gets under the glove that you are using.. gooey, slippery, sludge. So why do we do it? Why do we subject ourselves to such torture? Because it is a necessity; there is no other alternative. It is the best solution. Why?

If it is not stripped completely you risk the new coating delaminating or peeling.

We have to do the same with our old personality. If we don't get it off completely, it will eventually cause our spirituality to delaminate. It is because, the old personality "is being corrupted" as the 'b' section of Eph. 4:22 indicates. Yes, the old personality is in a continuous course of moral degradation going from bad to worse, leading to defilement and death. So you have to get it off, like clothing that has the smell of a skunk!!!!! Get it off!!! Would you keep your socks on? No, we take everything off the first chance we get.
    • By The Librarian
      Think of a vintage vehicle that sits gleaming in a showroom or museum. Imagine the attention to detail, the thousands of hours spent in restoring it to its present condition, perhaps because someone saw it rusting away under a tree and could see its potential.

Or perhaps it is a beautiful piece of antique furniture, or a building such as the Stanley Theatre. In the latter case, Jehovah's people saw its potential, and spent many hours on its restoration.

Now, if people can do that for material things, are we prepared to put that amount of time and effort into our own spirit, to create a refined, self-sacrificing attitude in ourselves?
    • By The Librarian
      Once there was a man who worked for a construction company. He always tried to do exactly what his employer wanted. He arrived for work on time, and never took 'extended' morning tea or lunch breaks. One day after his morning break he got up and started work, picking up a large piece of timber to take to the worksite.

Some of the workers completely ignored him.

Some of the others started to give him a hard time.

Some said, "Take it easy, come back here and sit with us. You don't need to do that now."

Others shouted, "That's no way to carry a piece of timber by yourself, you need to balance it better!"

Others thought he was just trying to impress the boss, and trying to make them look bad.

Our Pioneers, Ministerial Servants and Elders and others are trying to do what our employer, Jehovah God wants.We can ignore, discourage, criticise, or impute wrong motives. Or we can get up, reach out and help them carry the load.
    • By The Librarian
      Female Cowbird

Hello, We recently dedicated our remodeled Kingdom Hall here in Los Angeles , and our guest speaker was Bro. Javier Hernandez from Brooklyn Bethel. Bro. Hernandez did a program in English and Spanish, which was outstanding. Then on Sunday he gave our Public Talk and then a service talk entitled "Imitate Their Faith." It highlighted the hard work of the governing body, and why we should imitate their example. Bro. Hernandez is very knowledgeable of the Governing Body, because he serves as Bro. Herd's personal secretary. 

I have to relate the wonderful illustration he gave of the lazy cowbird. It is so good. Bro. Hernandez grew up in West Texas , and often saw cowbirds. These birds spend most of their time on the backs of cows eating parasites. When they spot a bird building a nest they will wait for the bird to leave and then go and lay their eggs in someone else's nest. The cowbird is lazy, so it goes back to the cow. The unsuspecting bird doesn't notice the extra eggs, and when they hatch, she begins flying off to feed them. This tires her out so that when her own eggs hatch she is too weak to feed them, and her babies end up dying. 

speckled cowbird egg

Today Satan is like the cowbird. He watches us and then tries to drop eggs into our nest. They may be work, school, entertainment, recreation, or whatever, and we begin to take more care of Satan's eggs than our own spiritual needs. If we are not careful, our spirituality will die because we are too busy feeding Satan's eggs. So watch out for those deadly eggs and get them out of your nest! 

What a simple practical real life illustration! Maybe you have heard it before but it was so good I had to share. Bro.Hernandez also repeatedly said we are living in the last seconds of the last days. No doubt working closely with the Governing Body, that phrase is common. It's a good reminder of our need to get and be ready. 

You give but little when you give of your possessions. It is when you give of yourself that you truly give. 

Ps.I added the pictures for you.....
    • By The Librarian
      What is your opinion?. Is it rats? 
      If a mousetrap is introduced into a mouse's environment, it will go right over to it, take the bait, and its family will jump on it too in an effort to get it loose and perhaps all will get stuck.

A rat, however, will ignore everything new in its environment until it gets used to it, and only then it will go investigate it. So to catch a rat, a trapper leaves the trap, then when the rat is used to it he baits it. By introducing the bait (something new) into its environment causes the rat to ignore it all over again, until he gets used to it.  

Then the trapper sets the trap and, after waiting for the rat to "acclimatize" he catches the rat.  

The point is that Satan is catching people with this method today, by getting us used to an environment that is very bad, little by little--acclimatizing us to it so we get to thinking that what's in our environment (bad entertainment, immorality, etc.) is normal, and then! He has us.  

Think ? Then reflect on what we considered bad entertainment 20 or more years ago...  

Reminds me of the illustration in Sunday's Watchtower (4/15/12), Maintain a Complete Heart Towards Jehovah:  

Imagine that you are reading a book by the light of a 100-watt bulb, but then the bulb fails. Since you are left in the dark, you immediately notice what happened and replace the burned-out bulb with a new one. Light fills the room again. The next evening, you are reading with the help of the same lamp. However, unbeknownst to you, someone replaced the new 100-watt bulb with a 95-watt bulb. Would you notice the difference? Probably not. Andwhat if the next day someone put a 90-watt bulb in your lamp? Likely, you would still not notice it. Why not? The lamp's light is diminishing so gradually that you are not aware of it. Similarly, the influences of Satan's world may cause our zeal to diminish little by little. If that happens, it is as if Satan succeeded in reducing 100-watt heartfelt zeal for Jehovah's service to something less. If not alert, a Christian may not even notice the gradual change. —Matt. 24:42; 1 Pet. 5:8. 
      Anakalia
    • By The Librarian
      "Can the Ethiopian change his skin or the leopard its spots ? 
      Neither can you do good who are accustomed to doing evil " Jeremiah 13:23

You've no doubt read the old fable about the scorpion and the frog.

It illustrates how man's nature is much more devious and controlling than is his logic.

The fable says how,...

" One day a scorpion arrived at the bank of a river he wanted to cross, but there was no bridge.

He asked a frog that was sitting nearby if he would take him across the river on his back.
      The frog refused and said,... " I will not, because you will sting me "

The scorpion replied,..." It would be foolish for me to sting you because then we would both drown "

The frog saw the logic in the scorpion's words, and agreed to carry the scorpion across.

But when they were halfway across the river the scorpion stung the frog.

The stunned frog asked,..." Why did you sting me, now we will both die ! "

The scorpion replied,... " Because I'm a scorpion … and that's what scorpions do "

Sad to say some people today are more concerned about being " politically correct " than they are about being " Biblically correct ",...

They change the name of sins to justify people's sinful behavior.

They do this because they are more concerned about the approval of man than they are about the approval of Jehovah God.

To Jehovah God, sin—all sin—is sin by whatever name we call it, and all sin is ultimately self-destructive regardless of how we seek to justify it.

Furthermore, God's Word reminds us that no matter how good, how noble, how educated, how refined, or how sophisticated we may be, we are all sinners.
      Romans 3:23

Like the leopard that cannot change its spots neither can we change our nature.

We are not sinners because we sin, but rather, we sin because we are sinners.

That's our nature and that's why we need Jehovah God's salvation to save us from the eternal consequences of our sin—which is eternal separation from Jehovah God for all eternity.
    • By The Librarian
      Run, Idiot, Run
      Br. Jackson of the governing body concluding a talk @ LA District Convention had this neat illustration at the very end of the convention. 
      He said "What if you were watching a football game on TV & it was the Trojans against the Fighting Irish...& it's been a good game...and it's coming down to the last seconds and the Trojans get the ball (then he stands like a football player) and then he starts running (and he picks up his foot like he's going to take off) and you're glued to the TV-just waiting to see what will happen...and he makes it to the 30 then the 20 then the 10 yard line and he's at the one inch line...and he ..stops!

THE GUY WITH THE BALL STOPS!!! ..and he starts looking around for the game clock..and he yells, "how much time do I have left?"

And you are staring at the TV in disbelief!!! What do you do? 
      You yell at the TV -Run, Idiot!!!, Run!!! 
        ...(Bro Jackson is yelling this from the stage) it was so hysterical- then he stops and says ...

That's where you are...This system is dying. 

We're the event that the universe is watching. 

We are at the one inch line ..and some are stopping and looking around and wondering where we are in the stream of time.

RUN!!! IDIOT!!! RUN!!! Don't look at the time...just run...run...we're almost there.
      It was a very dramatic ending.
    • By The Librarian
      Dear Friends,

Our little ones have a way.

thought this was cute.
      -
      A circuit  overseer went out in service with a 7 year old boy, they went door to  door. The brother asked the boy "are you ready with your door message?"  The boy answered "of course I am always ready". 
      The boy  went to the first door, knocked, and the person answered it was a man. The  boy asked, "Sir do you know Superman's secret Identity...what his name  is?" The man answered "of course it's Clark kent". 
      The CO did  not know where to look, he was about to stop the 7 year old, when the boy  asked "Well do you Know Gods name?" 
      "Of  course" answered the man "Jesus". 
      "TSK Tsk  Tsk" the boy said as he shook his head!!! 
      "Mister  you mean to tell me you know a fictional persons name and even his secret  Identity and you don't know Gods name who is real". 
      "But I do"  answered the man "I said Jesus". 
      TSK TSK  TSK said the boy .Good thing I came to teach you today the boy  said.
      The boy  proceeded to turn to scripture after scripture proving Jehovah's name to  the man.The man said "come in show me more".
      When they  finished the CO said nothing.
      They went  to the next door it was the CO turn he said to the home owner "Hi, do you  know the name of Superman's secret Identity?
    • By The Librarian
      A house of "Confidence" that is...                   
                          What is the first thing on a house that gets destroyed in a storm?   The roof.   Now let's build our house, a house of Confidence, the foundation is the Christ. What are the four walls?   1st wall is Prayer.   2nd wall is Personal Study.   3rd wall is Daily Bible Reading.     4th wall is Field Service.     Now let's put on the roof. The roof is our Meeting Attendance.   Now that we've built our house of Confidence, here comes the storms, storms of persecution as varied as can be. Unfortunately, the first thing to go during these storms is our meeting attendance, then once that roof is gone, then one by one our "walls" start collapsing around us, and eventually our foundation, Christ is no longer a solid basis for our house of "Confidence." How did this all happen, by not protecting our roof, our Meeting Attendance. Guard it! Cherish it! Do not neglect it!
    • By The Librarian
      When I was a little girl, my mom liked to make breakfast food for dinner every now and then.  And I remember one night in particular when she had made breakfast after a long, hard day at work.  On that evening so long ago, my mom placed a plate of eggs, sausage and extremely burned toast in front of my dad.  I remember waiting to see if anyone noticed!  Yet all my dad did was reach for his toast, smile at my mom and ask me how my day was at school.  I don't remember what I told him that night, but I do remember watching him smear butter and jelly on that toast and eat every bite!
      When I got up from the table that evening, I remember hearing my mom apologize to my dad for burning the toast. 
      And I'll never forget what he said:  "Baby, I love burned toast."
      Later that night, I went to kiss Daddy good night and I asked him if he really liked his toast burned.  He wrapped me in his arms and said, "Your Momma put in a hard day at work today and she's real tired.  And besides - a little burnt toast never hurt anyone!"
      You know, life is full of imperfect things.....and imperfect people.  I'm not the best housekeeper or cook.  What I've learned over the years is that learning to accept each other's faults - and choosing to celebrate each other's differences - is one of the most important keys to creating a healthy, growing, and lasting relationship.
       Learn to take the good, the bad, and the ugly parts of your life and lay them at the feet of God.  Because in the end, He's the only One who will be able to give you a relationship where burnt toast isn't a deal-breaker!  We could extend this to any relationship in fact - as understanding is the base of any relationship, be it a husband-wife or parent-child or friendship!
      "Don't put the key to your happiness in someone else's pocket - keep it in your own." 
    • Guest Nicole
      By Guest Nicole
      Often in the bible the God's word is compared to life giving water. How important it is that we keep taking in the water Jehovah provides and keep it in our hearts. 
    • Guest Nicole
      By Guest Nicole
      Isaiah 5:20 applies greatly to today's world. Should Halloween be considered to be good or bad? 
      Consider just a small part of Halloween's origin: "The American Halloween tradition of “trick-or-treating” probably dates back to the early All Souls’ Day parades in England. During the festivities, poor citizens would beg for food and families would give them pastries called “soul cakes” in return for their promise to pray for the family’s dead relatives. The distribution of soul cakes was encouraged by the church as a way to replace the ancient practice of leaving food and wine for roaming spirits. The practice, which was referred to as “going a-souling” was eventually taken up by children who would visit the houses in their neighborhood and be given ale, food, and money... "The tradition of dressing in costume for Halloween has both European and Celtic roots. Hundreds of years ago...on Halloween, when it was believed that ghosts came back to the earthly world, people thought that they would encounter ghosts if they left their homes. To avoid being recognized by these ghosts, people would wear masks when they left their homes after dark so that the ghosts would mistake them for fellow spirits. On Halloween, to keep ghosts away from their houses, people would place bowls of food outside their homes to appease the ghosts and prevent them from attempting to enter." (http://www.history.com/topics/halloween/history-of-halloween)
    • By Jack Ryan
      in honor of @TrueTomHarley 😄
    • By The Librarian
      A brother, who regularly attended meetings, stopped attending for no apparent reason. After a few weeks an elder visited him. It was a very cold night, and his brother found him at home alone, sitting in front of the fireplace, where a bright, warm fire burned.
      Imagining the reason for his visit, the brother invited him in, led him to a seat near the fireplace, and stood there, quiet, silent, and talked with the old man, and the old man did not even talk to him.
      There was a great silence, and they watched the dance of the burning flames, which burned around the logs.
      After a few minutes, the old man examined the coals that had formed and carefully separated the most incandescent of all, away from the others, and sat down again, remaining silent and still.
      While the host paid attention to everything, fascinated but still. After a little while, the flame of the solitary ember disappeared, until there was a faint glow, and it went out.
      In a short time, what was once a flame of heat and light, became a piece of charcoal, cold, inert and covered with ashes.
      No word had been said, between the two, since the initial greeting.
      Before leaving, the old man used his pen to carry the cold and useless piece of charcoal back to the fireplace.
      Almost immediately he rekindled an ardent flame fueled by the heat of the other ardent embers around him. The brother who was discouraged watched, without understanding.
      However, when the elder withdrew, the host told him: Thank you for your visit and beautiful lesson. Until the next meeting.
      Conclusion: God's congregation is like a "fire" in a blazing flame, and the burning coals are us, while we are active in the preaching service, reading the scriptures, and attending the meetings. Since experiences, comments, and presence at meetings, embraces, concern for our well-being, make our love and desire to serve God grow even more. Matthew 24:14 and Hebrews 10: 24, 25.
      However, when we stop gathering, that fire-like heat is gradually disappearing, even to the point of avoiding our brothers. And in time, we became cold, lifeless, lifeless, like a piece of coal.
      Because we are not letting Jehovah speak to us through Bible reading, we do not prepare and attend meetings, just as we do not speak to Jehovah through prayer. And so, that warmth and joy that we enjoy among our brethren fades, until we become like pieces of charcoal.
      In this system, we all experience difficulties, and we often feel discouraged, especially in these last days, that our enemy "Satan" walks around us, like a roaring lion, looking for someone to devour. 1 Peter 5: 8.
      Therefore, Jehovah appointed the elders to care for "His flock." For in times of difficulty "grazing visits," to encourage us not to fall into temptation, are magisterial to heal us from "discouragement," and not to miss meetings. For Jehovah looks upon his humble servants, as "a people for his pasture," and "the sheep of his hand." Hebrews 13:17, Psalms 95: 7
    • By James Thomas Rook Jr.
      A 32 year old Bethelite at Warwick, NY  was walking along a sidewalk at Bethel, going to the cafeteria for the evening meal,  and as he walked along, was in deep prayer to Jehovah God.
       He said, "Jehovah, you have promised to give me the desires of my heart. That's what I am asking you for right now. Please give me a confirmation that you will reward my faith and service to you.”
       Suddenly the sky clouded up over his head and God in a booming voice spoke to him. "I have searched your heart and determined it to be pure. The last time I granted someone the desires of his heart request .... it was to my servant Solomon.”
       “ He didn't disappoint me with his request for wisdom.”
       “ I think I can trust that you won't disappoint me either. Because you have been faithful to me in all ways, I will grant you the desires of your heart."
       The Brother sat and thought about it for a while and said, "I've always wanted to have a deep understanding of the Bible, and I have really tried, but I have forsaken a good education, and taken a vow of poverty and cannot afford a car or the classes I need to become an Engineer when my service here at  Bethel is up …. could you help me afford a car, and a stipend so I can go to school, and learn to provide for myself and my future family as I get old?"
       The Lord laughed and said, "That's impossible! Think of the logistics of that! I would have to start creating again to make you a car, and money to use, and get you into a college without any background that would make sense for what you would be learning!”
       “ … Your request is very materialistic, a little disappointing. I could do it, but it's hard for me to justify your craving for worldly things. Take a little more time and think of another request ….  a  request you think would honor and glorify Me as well."
       The Brother  thought about it for a long while and tried to think of a really good request.
       Finally, he said, “Oh God, please hear my request.  I was Baptized when I was eight years old, and paid attention all my life, taking notes, reading the Bible, and meditation … but I just cannot understand the “Overlapping Generations” thing.  I can’t see how Jesus or the Apostles or any disciples in the Early Church ever understood that, when Jesus was speaking. Can you help me to understand the “Overlapping Generations” Doctrine?”
       “I want to know what all the other Brothers and Sisters know, what  they feel inside and what they're thinking ...I want to know how to be as truly happy as they are, knowing these deep things about You ....That's the wish that I want, Jehovah … my hearts desire."
        … after a few minutes, God said, "How about a Corvette and a full scholarship to Stanford University?"

• Guest Nicole
      By Guest Nicole
      Thought this would be a fun way to explain how pride can become fatal. Jehovah's spirit can help us to get though or endure any challenge we face. It can also help us to accomplish amazing things for him in this race to the finish. However, if we allow fear or pride to cause us to rely on our own strength, we may not make it to the final leap to the end. We would even lose out on all the "points" we got along the way. Humbly relying on Jehovah's spirit to the end is the only way to win this awful game Satan has created. Proverbs 16:18 "Pride is before a crash." 1 Corinthians 10:12-"So let the one who thinks he is standing beware that he does not fall." 

• Guest Nicole
      By Guest Nicole

This applies more to young ones, but can really apply to any one of us. In the world we live in today there are many people looking to take advantage of us by means of social media. There have been many sad stories about people who were robbed or worse because they gave away too much personal information on social media. Some may give out their information that it becomes like posting your private info on the screens in Times Square. Young ones with free and unmonitored access to smart phones and computers have at times found themselves speaking with strangers who seek to do them harm. It's so important that on our personal private accounts we are careful about who we allow to follow us and who we choose to follow. Parents should regularly monitor their children's Internet use and set rules to protect their children as well. Even those claiming to be Witnesses may not be what they seem. Proverbs 22:33-"The shrewd one sees the danger and conceals himself,But the inexperienced keep right on going and suffer the consequences."

• By TheWorldNewsOrg
      via Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. World News
    • By The Librarian
      Back when I first started using blogger I  started collecting illustrations. That collection is still there.

Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content.
    • Guest Nicole
    • By The Librarian
      CO, Steve Elumbaugh (Georgia Circuit 15) mentioned this in one of his talks.

Jehovah and the Spider
      During World War II, the persecution had been intense. Alone in the jungle, a brother could hear the soldierscoming in his direction.  Scrambling for cover, he found his way up a high ridge to several small caves in the rock.Quickly he crawled inside one of the caves. Although safefor the moment, he realized that once the soldiers lookingfor him swept up the ridge, they would quickly search allthe caves and he would be killed. As he waited, he prayed, asking Jehovah, if it be your will, please protect me.Whatever your will though, I love you and trust you. Afterpraying, he lay quietly listening to the enemy begin to draw close. He saw a spider begin to build a web over the front ofhis cave.  As he watched, listening to the enemy searching for him all the while, the spider layered strand after strand of web across the opening of the cave.‘Hah,’ he thought. 'What I need is a brick wall and what Jehovah has sent me is a spider web.’  As the enemy drew closer he watched from the darkness of his hideout and could see them searching one cave after another. As they came to his, he prepared himself for death.  To his amazement, however, after glancing in the direction of his cave, they moved on.  Suddenly, he realized that with the spider web over the entrance, his cave looked as if no one had entered for quite a while.  'Jehovah, forgive me,’ prayed the young man. 'I had forgotten that in you a spider’s web is stronger than a brick wall.’  We all face times of great trouble.  When we do, it is so easy to forget what Jehovah can work in our lives, sometimes in the most surprising ways.  And remember with Jehovah, a mere spider’s web can become a brick wall of protection.Via
    • By Bible Speaks
      "Pray constantly. Give thanks for everything. This is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.—1 Thess. 5:17,18.
      #JehovahGod #JesusChrist #LoyalLove #LoveOneAnother? #LiveForever #memorial2017 #GodsKingdom

"Oren incesantemente. Con relación a todo, den gracias. Porque esta es la voluntad de Dios en unión con Cristo Jesús en cuanto a ustedes." (1 Tes. 5:17, 18).
      #JehovahGod #JesusChrist #LoveOneAnother? #LiveForever #memorial2017 #GodsKingdom #LoyalLove #Prayforoneanother?

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Rodsco
    Newest Member
    Rodsco

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.