Topic Summary

Created

Last Reply

Replies

Views

TheWorldNewsOrg -
TrueTomHarley -

Top Posters

Amazing. The only one that looks perfectly familiar is the A&W Root Beer can design. I'm assuming it's one of the most recent. The Sprite and Dr Pepper seem vaguely familiar. Also, old gas stations in the midwest still used that exact 7up design on tin signs that I remember well into the 70's, but I don't think I ever saw a can quite like that.

"Pearl Harbor" guava drink sounds like a can designed before the name became infamous.

42 minutes ago, JW Insider said:

Also, old gas stations in the midwest still used that exact 7up design on tin signs that I remember well into the 70's, but I don't think I ever saw a can quite like that.

They never take the signs down out in the backwoods. From last year:

59931245-BC0F-481E-87C8-80D532A334DA.jpeg

I used to really LIKE the old tin plated, steel drink cans of yesteryear ... that you needed a "church key" that would make a triangular hole in the top of the can, and the other end would open a glass soda bottle metal pressed on top. You could always tell who tried to open the soda bottles with their teeth, as they had some missing, and others that they had left, could use to eat corn on the cob through a picket fence.

I was young, and had a blue 454 corvette convertible with  an automatic transmission, and when it was almost dark, I could drive with my right hand on the steering wheel, and with my left hand drag a steel can on the pavement, making a shower of sparks .... and the little kids would look at me ... and marvel!

On 4/26/2019 at 9:58 PM, James Thomas Rook Jr. said:

I was young, and had a blue 454 corvette convertible with  an automatic transmission, and when it was almost dark, I could drive with my right hand on the steering wheel, and with my left hand drag a steel can on the pavement, making a shower of sparks 

Is this the one you bought as the final hurrah before the system was to end but then didn’t?

On 4/26/2019 at 9:58 PM, James Thomas Rook Jr. said:

I used to really LIKE the old tin plated, steel drink cans of yesteryear ...

We would find some of those cans—the kids and me—when we hiked the Allegheny trails and got points for each pop or beer can that we found. Extra points awarded for one of these old-timers. Is the front molar I found in the Miller Lite can yours?

1 hour ago, TrueTomHarley said:

Is this the one you bought as the final hurrah before the system was to end but then didn’t?

This was in 1976, and it was a 1971 Corvette 454 convertible, but I had been driving a Ford 250 pickup truck with a slide in large Camper in the bed, and as I told the Brothers at the Kingdom Hall, I really needed a good Service Vehicle .... so I traded the pickup truck and camper (which had a small sailboat upside down on the roof) in on the Corvette.

I would pull up to the KIngdom Hall ( .. Roanoke, Virginia) and the Sisters would swoon and wave both arms at me, and hollar "I LOVE YOU!", which was interesting, but it was not a 1975 consolation prize.

1 hour ago, TrueTomHarley said:

We would find some of those cans—the kids and me—when we hiked the Allegheny trails and got points for each pop or beer can that we found. Extra points awarded for one of these old-timers. Is the front molar I found in the Miller Lite can yours?

No ... at that time I used to drink Miller High Life, the Champagne of bottled beers, and when I could get it Hamm's Beer, in 2-1/2 gallon mini-kegs.  I would find out about a Witness Party ... er... gathering in another city, and show up uninvited and knock on the door with one hand, and with the other hand, holding the keg on the other  shoulder.

They would look at me ... and look at the keg ... and look at me ... and look at the keg ... and I was always enthusiastically welcomed. in.

4 minutes ago, James Thomas Rook Jr. said:

No ... at that time I used to drink Miller High Life, the Champagne of bottled beers

“We made Miller the number 2 most popular brand in the country and everybody said ‘Nobody will drink that stuff.’” - Mickey Spillane

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Guest Nicole
      By Guest Nicole
      Coca Cola’s logo by Fabio Pantoja
    • By Queen Esther
      I  changed  my  opinion  about  Coca - Cola....  We've  1000  better  Drinks  for  our  body !  Lets  be  careful  what  we  put  in....   
      Too  expensive  and  too  bad  for  us  !! 
    • Guest Nicole
      By Guest Nicole
      Both sugary, diet drinks correlated with accelerated brain aging
      Date:
      April 20, 2017
      Source:
      Boston University
      Summary:
      Excess sugar -- especially the fructose in sugary drinks -- might damage your brain, new research suggests. Researchers found that people who drink sugary beverages frequently are more likely to have poorer memory, smaller overall brain volume, and a significantly smaller hippocampus. A follow-up study found that people who drank diet soda daily were almost three times as likely to develop stroke and dementia when compared to those who did not.

Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content.
    • Guest Nicole
      By Guest Nicole
      Study examines how food and medications affect makeup of bacteria in people's tummies
      THURSDAY, April 28, 2016 (HealthDay News) -- The food you eat and the medicines you take can alter your gut bacteria in ways that either help or harm your health, two new studies suggest.
      Foods like fruits, vegetables, coffee, tea, wine, yogurt and buttermilk can increase the diversity of bacteria in a person's intestines. And that diversity can help ward off illness, said Dr. Jingyuan Fu, senior author of one of the studies.
      "It is believed that higher diversity and richness [in gut bacteria] is beneficial," explained Fu. She is an associate professor of genetics at the University of Groningen in the Netherlands.
      On the other hand, foods containing loads of simple carbohydrates appear to reduce bacterial diversity in the gut, Fu and colleagues found. These include high-fat whole milk and sugar-sweetened soda.
      In addition, medications can also play a part in the makeup of your gut bacteria. Antibiotics, the diabetes drug metformin and antacids can cut down on gut bacterial diversity, the researchers found. Smoking and heart attacks also can have a negative effect, the team said.
      Each person's intestines contain trillions of microorganisms, which doctors refer to as the "gut microbiome," said Dr. David Johnson. He is chief of gastroenterology at Eastern Virginia Medical School in Norfolk, Va., and a past president of the American College of Gastroenterology.
      The gut microbiome plays an essential but little-understood role in human health, said Johnson, who was not involved with the new studies.
      "It's the largest immune system in the body," Johnson explained. "These bacteria have a very dramatic and prominent role in determining health and disease."
      To study the effect of lifestyle on the gut microbiome, Fu and her colleagues collected stool samples from more than 1,100 people living in the northern Netherlands.
      The samples were used to analyze the DNA of the bacteria and other organisms that live in the gut. In addition to stools, the study collected information on the participants' diets, medicine use and health.
      In the second study, researchers with the Flemish Gut Flora Project performed a similar analysis on stool samples taken from 5,000 volunteers in Belgium.
      Both studies concluded that diet has a profound effect on the diversity of gut bacteria, although, Fu said, the "underlying theories of these dietary factors remain largely unknown."
      Johnson added that medicines can have the same effect, and antibiotics actually can kill off some important strains of gut bacteria. "One dose of an antibiotic may disrupt your gut bacteria for a year," he said.
      Both sets of researchers emphasized that their studies only help explain a fraction of gut bacteria variation -- roughly 18 percent for the Netherlands study, and about 7 percent for the Flemish study.
      However, the findings from the two groups overlapped about 80 percent of the time, indicating that they are on the right track, the researchers said.
      The Belgian researchers estimated that over 40,000 human samples will be needed to capture a complete picture of gut bacteria diversity.
      Johnson noted that other research has shown that poor sleep, obesity, diabetes and the use of artificial sweeteners also can interfere with gut bacteria.
      "The general rule is a balanced diet with high fiber and low carbs tends to drive a better gut health overall," he said.
      According to Fu, once researchers have a clearer understanding of the gut microbiome and its effects on health, doctors could be able to help prevent or heal illness by reading or influencing the bacteria within people's bodies.
      "The personalized microbiome may assist in personalized nutrition, personalized medicine, disease risk stratification and treatment decision-making," she said.
      Both studies were published in the April 29 issue of the journal Science.
      More information
      Visit the European Society for Neurogastroenterology and Motility for more on diet and gut bacteria.
      SOURCES: Jingyuan Fu, Ph.D., associate professor, genetics, University of Groningen, the Netherlands; David Johnson, M.D., chief, gastroenterology, Eastern Virginia Medical School, Norfolk, Va., and past president, American College of Gastroenterology; April 29, 2016,Science
      Last Updated: Apr 28, 2016
      Source: 
      Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content.
  • Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Humberto Signorelli
    Newest Member
    Humberto Signorelli

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.