The World News Media

How the New European Data Law Will Affect Jehovah’s Witnesses - My Take

TrueTomHarley

31 minutes ago, Outta Here said:

Some may feel this to be the case. Of course there is no mandate to invest in Stocks as there is also no prohibition. It is just one of those matters for a personal decision, such a problem for those who prefer rules. Investopedia has a summary on this "myth".

Investing in Stocks Equates to Gambling

This reasoning causes many people to shy away from the stock market. To understand why investing in stocks is inherently different from gambling, we need to review what it means to buy stocks. A share of common stock represents ownership in a company. It entitles the holder to a claim on assets as well as a fraction of the profits that the company generates. Too often, investors think of shares as simply a trading vehicle, and they forget that stock represents ownership.

In the stock market, investors are constantly trying to assess the profit that will be left over for shareholders. This is why stock prices fluctuate. The outlook for business conditions is always changing, and so are the future earnings of a company.

Assessing the value of a company is complex. There are so many variables involved that short-term price movements appear to be random (academics call this the random walk theory); however, over the long term, a company is supposed to be worth the present value of the profits it will make. In the short term, a company can survive without profits because of the expectations of future earnings, but no company can fool investors forever—eventually, a company's stock price will show the true value of the firm.

Gambling, in contrast, is a zero-sum game. Gambling merely takes money from a loser and gives it to a winner. No value is ever created whereas the overall wealth of an economy increases through investing. As companies compete, they increase productivity and often develop products that improve lives. Investing and creating wealth should not be confused with gambling's zero-sum game.

Of course, some approach investment with a gambler's mentality and often end up with a gambler's reward.....nothing.

As far as gambling is concerned, elders have better things to do than be concerned about those who wish to throw their money into the air. However, there are other connected issues that have more serious repercussions, These may invite attention.

I couldn't resist exploding the Stock Exchange myth as it has surfaced here and may mislead others, but I'm bowing out of this thread now as it is off topic and discused thoroughly elsewhere :)

Like I've said before people can make excuses for almost any action. The GB and it's Org are very good at it. 

Um, I thought the JW Org was 'no part of the world', so why would it interest itself in the economy of the world. 

I had a nephew that was really good at poker and won quite a fortune, so to him it wasn't gambling. :) 

• Views 3.3k
  • Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We have got a great way to minimise our Not-At-Homes. We've been doing it for years: Not Homes.mp4

Re making interest by way of bank or stock market: (Matthew 25:24-27) 24 “Finally the slave who had received the one talent came forward and said: ‘Master, I knew you to be a demanding man, reapi

Yikes! No “data-gathering” according to the new privacy law. What to do? As far as I am concerned, this is a blessing in disguise. Jehovah’s people will adapt. They always do.  I even think

Posted Images

16 hours ago, Melinda Mills said:

Jesus acknowledged the bankers' work (and the methods they use to get interest). If the bankers gamble with your money (in the stock market  - every single bank [international development bank and commercial bank] has a department that invests in stocks) and make interest you don't usually complain and ask how the interest was made and wherein they invested your money.  You put out your hand and take the interest.

Yes Melinda, you say well. But me or you as private person, individuals put our own money we earned with our hard labor. WTJWORG put other people money without their consent and will and with any, no chance to give them back interest/gain/profit of such investing.  :))

4 minutes ago, Srecko Sostar said:

WTJWORG put other people money without their consent

Last I checked, they had not hacked into my bank account to take anything.

It is others who try to do that, and that is why a simple command on my computer may takes seconds, even minutes to execute, due to security measures in place to thwart the theives.

4 hours ago, TrueTomHarley said:

Since all these parables are explained in the context of working for kingdom interests

.... we agree, these are parables ......and NOT ticket for WTJWORG to enter in various financial schemes (with members money).  .... only if members gave them their written consent for such activity, job that is no more religious/charity activity but money making activity.   

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.