To get to the meaningful core of what Armageddon is about, which is the battle of truth against lies, we look at Israel’s sins of the past. Today’s spiritual “Israel” comprised of the anointed ones, is also steeped in sin, resulting from a testing delusion put upon them by Satan; a delusion that is passionately called “the truth”. Luke 22:31; 2 Thess 2:9-12; Rev 13:1,2,11
God does expect us to seek Truth. Ps 25:5; Matt 7:7,8; John 4:23,24; 8:31,32; 14:6
Yet, today’s “Israel” is feeding on the lies of their leaders/prophets. Matt 7:15; Acts 20:29; Rev 16:13,14
When reading Ezekiel chapter 13, notice that the term “whitewash” helps reveal what is behind the organization’s ‘new light’ label. Many translations use the phrase, “untempered mortar”, a few say “loose mud”, or “chalk”; all are descriptive of the organization’s attempt to cover over unstable teachings that do not last. John 15:16,5
“untempered mortar” is defined as “whitewash" used to patch a wall, creating the facade of beauty.
As an example:
Matt 23:37 – “Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You are like whitewashed tombs, which look beautiful on the outside but on the inside are full of the bones of the dead and everything unclean.”
Why were these teachers described by Jesus as whitewashed tombs?
“You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father’s desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies. Yet because I tell the truth, you do not believe me! 46 Can any of you prove me guilty of sin? If I am telling the truth, why don’t you believe me? 47 Whoever belongs to God hears what God says. The reason you do not hear is that you do not belong to God.” John 8:44-47
By choosing to deny Christ’s words of truth which offer eternal life, they remained in spiritual darkness, alienated from God and life.
“The Spirit gives life; the flesh counts for nothing. The words I have spoken to you—they are full of the Spirit and life.” John 6:63
“If we claim to have fellowship with him and yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not live out the truth.” 1 John 1:6
The battle of truth against lies was evident then, and is now, as it reaches the end point in these last days. The “two witnesses” (“two “meaning truth – John 8:17) proclaim the revealing message from Christ, while false prophets battle against it, with their lies. Dan 12:9; Rev 1:11; 11:3; 1 John 4:6
Ezekiel chapter 13:
The word of the Lord came to me: 2 “Son of man, prophesy against the prophets of Israel who are now prophesying. Say to those who prophesy out of their own imagination: ‘Hear the word of the Lord!3 This is what the Sovereign Lord says: Woe to the foolish (“wicked”) prophets who follow their own spirit and have seen nothing!
4 Your prophets, Israel, are like jackals among ruins. (Lam 5:17,18; Ps 44:19)
5 You have not gone up to the breaches in the wall to repair it for the people of Israel so that it will stand firm in the battle on the day of the Lord. ( Ezek 22:30)
6 Their visions are false and their divinations a lie. Even though the Lord has not sent them, they say, “The Lord declares,” and expect Him to fulfill their words. (Ps 50:21; Isa 57:11)
7 Have you not seen false visions and uttered lying divinations when you say, “The Lord declares,” though I have not spoken? (Ezek 22:28; Rev 16:13,14)
8 “‘Therefore this is what the Sovereign Lord says: Because of your false words and lying visions, I am against you, declares the Sovereign Lord.9 My hand will be against the prophets who see false visions and utter lying divinations. They will not belong to the council of my people or be listed in the records of Israel, nor will they enter the land of Israel. Then you will know that I am the Sovereign Lord. (Rev 13:8)
10 “‘Because they lead my people astray, saying, “Peace,” when there is no peace, and because, when a flimsy wall is built, they cover it with whitewash, (Jer 23:13,17; 1 Thess 5:3)
11 therefore tell those who cover it with whitewash that it is going to fall. Rain will come in torrents, and I will send hailstones hurtling down, and violent winds will burst forth.
12 When the wall collapses, will people not ask you, “Where is the whitewash you covered it with?”
13 “‘Therefore this is what the Sovereign Lord says: In my wrath I will unleash a violent wind, and in my anger hailstones and torrents of rain will fall with destructive fury. (Ps 18:12,13; Isa 30:30 [Heb 12:1] Ps 147:17,18; Matt 24:30; Rev 11:3,5; Rev 8:7; Matt 7:24,25}
14 I will tear down the wall you have covered with whitewash and will level it to the ground so that its foundation will be laid bare. (Matt 7:26,27; 1 Cor 3:10,13) When it falls, you will be destroyed in it; and you will know that I am the Lord.
15 So I will pour out my wrath against the wall and against those who covered it with whitewash. I will say to you, “The wall is gone and so are those who whitewashed it,16 those prophets of Israel who prophesied to Jerusalem and saw visions of peace for her when there was no peace, declares the Sovereign Lord.”’
I have come to appreciate, that "walls" stand for doctrines/teachings. Just as the city wall protects the city from their enemies, so do doctrines defend against threats to faith, but they also offer boundaries to keep a "flock" in an enclosure. My point, is that Ezekiel "dug" a hole in the wall. (Ezek 12:4-7) We know the meaning of "digging" (Prov 2:2-5; Matt 13:44), and when we combine these symbols (digging, wall) I take it as scrutiny of teachings (1 John 4:1; 1 Thess 5:21) which weakens a wall of false doctrine, just as digging holes in a literal wall would. We are told (according to this symbolism) that the "wall" of apostate Jerusalem will fall (see Ezekiel 13:10,11,12,14,15), no matter how much they "whitewash" their teachings.
I am certain of this connection and meaning of "wall", because the fall of Jericho’s wall is inextricably linked with the "end", and to Revelation (Heb 11:30; Luke 21:20; Josh 6:15,20,8; Rev 8:2,6).
The "wall" of false teachings will "fall", leaving all those within that city defenseless and conquered. The wall they trusted in will fail them.
(From “Wall/Christ’s Side” 4womaninthewilderness)
As a child, I was occasionally assigned to clean the chalk boards after school, using water and a large cloth. Most children rode the bus home to the far reaches of the farming community I lived in. I was one of the few who walked home from school, which gave me the opportunity to stay longer. I remember the satisfaction of washing away the day’s writings to reveal a clean board, ready for the new day’s teachings.
JWs, from the outset, the organization has added layers and layers of decaying interpretations to its doctrines, like smudged chalk accumulating on a dirty chalkboard. This is the reality behind the organization’s new light philosophy. In its history, it has never returned to the clean pure truth of Christ’s Word.
To understand why God allows his people to submit to this powerful delusion, please see:
“Who is to Blame?”
“Spreading Tribulation – Tainted or Tested?”
By Srecko Sostar
GB claims how they are not "inspired". They also claim that the Organization is "spirit-guided". There is also an idea that God has always had his organization on Earth, the first being the Old Nation of Israel, and then First Assembly at the time of the Apostles, and after long centuries of darkness organization appeared again in 1879 as WT Society. So, we have three organizations in three time periods.
Who has guided, led these organizations? We see that organizations were guided by people. The first was Moses, then the Judges and Prophets, the Kings, and then the Apostles and today is The GB. According to the present claims of this modern organization of God, it is logical to conclude that both of the previous two organizations had been guided by God by the same principles too, meaning, that no inspirational/uninspired people were at the forefront of a spirit-guided organization.
Which tools are used to run today's organization? Thousands and thousands of pages of written text and public and private talks. All of these published texts and speeches were/are not "inspired", in fact, they presented many erroneous teachings and instructions, in the face of claims, that the organization is/was spiritually driven at the same time. So we have a God's spirit-guided organization that teaches the wrong things.
What does this have to do with past God's organizations? In the past, members of those two perished Organizations also wrote texts and held public and private speeches. Did those texts and the words been "inspired". If we judge according to today's GB teachings and the way how God, supposedly, leads a modern organization, we could rightly say that, how past leaders were not "inspired" when writing and gave speech. Because God has no need to "inspire" imperfect servants when He already has "spirit guided organization" :))
What is "inspired" in that, if someone had wrote what he has seen or heard during her life? Or if they write down their memories after a few years after the event? Most of the biblical text is precisely this - writing what someone saw and heard personally or that writing came through the oral tradition, something that other people have seen, heard, and spoken in some period of time. Only in exceptional cases, the authors of certain parts of the script, claimed that the instructions/revelations/prophecy were received through dreams, visions or God or angel directly addressed them. So, for a very small part of the text in the Bible, we can say that it is "inspired" by divine supernatural power. The vast majority of the text in the Bible is actually a retelling of the events that have been experienced - either from oneself or from other people. And for such, there is no need for extra "inspiration", but a good memory of those who recount the event and a good memory of the one who later writes it.
To bring claim that God, with his spirit, has led each of these three organizations, but that only the Israeli representatives (and writers) and representatives of the 1st Assembly (and the writers) had "inspired" directly with His spirit to make the written and spoken content, but how God changed his mind in the 19th century and gave up from doing the same way of managing his organization, it seems strange. Why would God be inconsistent with his principle of how to lead his earthly organizations? Why would God "inspire" Moses and the John (and all the rest between) to speak and write, but today he does not want to "inspire" his Anointed Representatives who sitting in GB? Was theirs time more difficult than today? Do not we live in the end time when all is much worst than before? :)))
If JW members considers that it is quite right and normal for God to lead his organization through "not inspired" texts of today's "servants of God" whose "research and knowledge was multiplied" and become far greater, clearer and safer because of more and more "Brighter Lights" that is far more advanced than before, of all what previous generations of God's servants knew and understand, then it is strange that today's texts and public speeches are so inaccurate and unsafe and need to be continually changed and corrected.
From this WTJWORG idea of how God has kept his earthly organization in continuity since Moses' time, it is not difficult to doubt the accuracy of the texts that people have collected and incorporated into a single book, the Bible. In fact, if today's WT Society (WT is equal to God's Organization) texts contain both, accurate and incorrect things, then we could assume that the old records, "publications" and "public and private talk" of Old Time Organizations, in their content were subject to the influence of the human factor too. The idea may seem strange and impossible (because "God with the spirit" leads his organizations) but that not give guaranties that such Organizations will not End Up in Some Form of Slavery (to inside and/or to outside Masters). Recall yourself how had ended previous 2 God's Organizations.
But what do you think that after 1 or 2 thousands of years from now, when we all become old dust and ashes, someone came up with the idea of choosing certain WT Society texts and create a modern "Bible" for JW?
By JOHN BUTLER
I do spend a lot of time thinking about what is right and what is wrong, and I do think that God wants each of us to use our own conscience to make our own decisions.
Yes of course our conscience should be based on God's word, using Bible principles and examples given by Jesus Christ. But it should be our conscience that we rely on, not the dictatorship of MEN.
The JW Org's leaders have made so many rules that a baptised JW person cannot use their own conscience. JW's are programmed to accept all the rules dictated by the GB. Programmed in such a way that every JW knows that if they deliberately use their own conscience and it takes them on a different course to GB 'laws' then that JW is liable to be disfellowshipped.
A JW is not always disfellowshipped for breaking God's 'laws', but on occasions a JW is disfellowshipped for breaking the 'laws' of the GB. Hence a JW could have a good conscience and use Bible principles, but still get disfellowshipped.
So, are the GB going beyond the things written by taking away a person's conscience and replacing it by too many rules or laws ?
By James Thomas Rook Jr.
I realize there are many reasons to go to an Assembly, or Convention, and when my children were living at home they would go to others' conventions for a variety of reasons, as well as their own.
I would always ask them when they returned home "What did you learn that was new?" . This was important to me as I had to work long hours to afford to finance their explorations and socialization, which I thought was important ... but I still expected them to learn something new ... and since I was paying for their travels, to tell me what was going on.
Generally, attendance to an out of town Convention nearby would cost about $200 a day, times three days, so that would be $600.
Now that I am retired, and my income has been cut by about 80%, it's even MORE important to me to want to get good value for the time and money I would be spending for my wife and I to spend three days, traveling out of town, to learn something of lasting value .... something worth at least three days of our time, which is painfully obviously shorter, and the what is now considerable effort and considerable expense.
In Engineering it's important that the "Law of diminishing returns" be observed so that you do not go physically, mentally or emotionally bankrupt.
Perhaps I am just asking for some encouragement that the effort is worth the cost and effort, and that the benefit is worth it, so if I may ask ......
WHAT DID YOU LEARN THAT WAS NEW AT THE 2019 "LOVE NEVER FAILS" REGIONAL CONVENTION ?
By Srecko Sostar
Inspired ....spirit-driven.... spirit-guided.....motivated.....to have spirit of....lead up by spirit....to feel that spirit leads us ..... spirit impelled him .... he came in the spirit....sent out by the spirit....spirit did not permit them.....bound by the spirit...he was in the spirit....carried him away in the spirit... and many more other phrases in the Bible.
Why JW's mostly, generally think that "inspiration" is action reserved only to JHVH and Jesus or devil and demons?
"Inspiration" is state/condition of some person soul, mind and emotions. The biblical / religious state of inspiration comes mainly out of the will of the people. But do you think how this is something that can be achieved/put on/force upon only by the actions of superhuman powers?
JW's are very occupied with their religion in own life and have specific relationship to this word and have specific (organizational) understanding of the concept about this special word - inspired. They think, I think that they do think :)), about this word only in religious sense and consider how it is about or only about some sort of divinity or divine holiness (or devil evil) in background.
Because they attach great importance to this word in only one direction, they forget that there is also a very powerful influence of another force. It's the spirit of man. JW's must recall themselves more often that people are created on the image of God. And that all people in themselves have a strong spirit (of divine source by birth and genetically inherited). This human spirit is powerful and can inspire other people (earthly spirits) around them. You, as individual can be inspired by people around you or by people about whom you hear about, you are watching, you read about.
Also it is interesting how some other things can inspire people. For example; nature, music, poetry, stories, events, animals, imagination.
Please, join to this topic and give, express your thoughts. Let your spirit free and let's inspire others :)))
By JOHN BUTLER
I find it interesting when so much is compared between the Jews and the JW's.
But in my opinion, one big difference between being a Jew before and in the time of Jesus, and being a JW, is choice.
If a person was born into the Nation of Israel, they were born under Law and ruled over by the Religious leaders (and the Romans) at that time. There was no choice of being a Jew or not being a Jew. They were born into it. So of course many of them, probably all of them, committed 'sin' and had to make sin offerings. God had chosen that Nation, those people had responsibility but not of their choice.
Now, people that enter the JW religion do so voluntarily. ( Unfortunately for those born into it, they have to go through the motions of serving the JW Org until they are of an age whereby they can leave home. Then, when of age they too can volunteer to be a JW or chose to leave the Org.).
There is a big difference from being born into a Nation which you may not like, than voluntarily joining a religion which you do like.
So the big question is, if 'millions' of people voluntarily join this JW Org, why do so many commit child abuse, adultery and many other sins ?
If this is supposed to be 'THE true religion', why are the people not guided by God through Jesus Christ ? Just reading comments on here from so called JW's makes me laugh. There is no love, no mercy, no understanding, no respect even.
Being an ex JW and seeing things from both sides i have found more genuine love, kindness, friendship, respect, warmth, understanding etc outside of the Org than inside. Inside the Org people have to be told to 'love one another', outside the Org people do it anyway.
It has amazed me how JW's can really believe that God is with them when they are so cold and selfish.
With the Jews that were born into that Nation, they had no choice about their way of life. It was basically a dictatorship by God. The Laws were from 'above'. Obviously for the right reason, to bring forth Jesus Christ who in turn would 'rescue' the human race from complete destruction. But it was a totally different situation to the JW Org today.
So now all you 'JWs', think on it. Do you truly believe you are in this' special environment' within the Org ? Do you really think that your Org has God's approval ?
Think deeply about all the problems within JW Org. All the disgusting things being done voluntarily by all the volunteer JW's.
Now ask yourself, are you really a volunteer JW or are you trapped in the Org for fear of losing all those 'so called friends' ?
You know that you can only have your family and 'friends' as long as you are a JW. Do you feel like the Jews must have felt, trapped in that Nation ?
As we know many of the Jews left the Jewish religion and way of life to follow Christ, but it was difficult for them. However, they did have God's approval and God, through Christ made this known clearly. And it seems that many are leaving the JW Org to seek God's approval too.
But remember that all JW's are volunteers, or should be, so why oh why is there so much trouble in that Org ?
Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content.
By JOHN BUTLER
I have no real idea of how to find out information about these things but some of you seem to have inside information.
This topic is aimed at the time lapse between new 'worldly information', 'worldly discoveries', 'worldly laws in different countries' and every type of worldly activity that affects the JW's in the Org.
Such as how long does it take the GB to take action between something important happening in the 'world' then the GB having a reaction to it.
For instance Blood Fractions. How long had those Blood Fractions, of different types, been available, before the GB authorised the use of them ?
How long had the sex abuse reporting laws been in use or in force in different countries, different states, before the GB recognised them ?
How long did the GB know that the Superior Authorities scripture actually meant 'worldly authorities' before they changed it ?
The March Watchtower is proof perfect that the GB will act when pushed, not by God, but by problems within the JW Org. But it would be good to have proof that the GB has deliberately delayed decisions on many things, even when a vast amount of information had been readily available. I don't have such proof but some of you might have.
Why would the GB deliberately delay decisions ? To maintain power over it's earthwide congregation. The GB recognise the power they have when people are anxiously awaiting a decision on an important matter.
By The Librarian
(If someone wants to start making a copy of this list in another language topic on here please do...or if I missed something please leave a comment below )
Part of series on:
Doctrines unchanged since 1879
Biblical infallibility. Early copies of Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. made reference to the Bible as God's "infallible Word". ( Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. ) God's name is Jehovah. Watch Tower Society founder Charles Taze Russell used the name "Jehovah" occasionally, but not consistently, when referring to God. Jesus Christ gave his human life as a ransom sacrifice; belief in Jesus necessary for salvation. Russell believed that God's design for mankind was a restitution or restoration to the perfection and glory lost in Eden. This depended on God providing a ransom for all mankind to release them from the inevitability of death. Christ became that ransom sacrifice. The timing of Christ's Second Coming, or "presence", can be calculated through Bible chronology. Russell believed the timing of Christ's advent could be calculated by determining the length and termination point of the "Gentile Times" and also by calculating the close of six "thousand-year days" (6000 years) of human history, at which point Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. would be established. Christ's return to earth was invisible. Russell claimed the Greek word parousia (Matthew 24:37) referred to a period of time, rendered more accurately as "presence" than "coming" Paradise earth to be restored, humans to live forever. Evolution is a teaching contrary to the Bible and denies the need of redemption by Christ.[need quotation to verify] Humans created as living souls. The dead are unconscious, awaiting resurrection. Anointed individuals are resurrected to heaven with spirit bodies. Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. is an organized heavenly government over earth, ruled by Jesus and the anointed. 1880–1889
1880: Clergy-laity distinction viewed as unscriptural. 1881: Rejection of the Trinity doctrine. Russell claimed the Trinity doctrine had "not a word of Scripture" to support it. He explained: "We understand the Scriptures to teach that the Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. is not a separate and distinct person, but that it is the divine mind or influence—the motive power of Divinity exercised everywhere and for any purpose, at His pleasure." In 1877 Russell and co-author N. H. Barbour had criticized the anti-Trinitarian view of the Christadelphians; an 1880 book by Zion's Watch Tower writer J. H. Paton emphasised that the Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. was a person and early Watch Tower issues referred to the Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. as "he" and part of the "Divine Three". 1881: Faith alone is not enough for someone's becoming a joint-heir with Christ in heaven, but also a life of "self-sacrifice in the service of the truth" is required. 1882: No hellfire. According to Russell, most references to "hell" in the New Testament were more accurately translated as "grave". 1887: The New Covenant, which Russell had claimed since 1880 would be inaugurated only after the last of the 144,000 anointed Christians had been taken to heaven, was said to be "now in force". 1890–1899 1890: The "Time of the End" of Daniel 12:4 is identified as beginning in October 1799—when Napoleon invaded Egypt and ended the power of the papacy—and closing in Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. , at which point violent worldwide revolution would mark the end of the old world order and the beginning of a new one. 1891: Biblical rapture is not a sudden event. The anointed are changed into spirit form, throughout the whole period of Christ's presence, at the time of each one's physical death. 1897: "This generation" of Matthew 23:36 defined as "people living contemporaneously." 1900–1909
1904: Worldwide descent into anarchy and disintegration of human rule, previously predicted to occur in October Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. , changed to "after October Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. ". 1904: 144,000 "elect" to go to heaven. Russell believed God had chosen a "fixed and limited ... number who should constitute the New Creation of God". God had not foreordained individuals, but those who met his "moral qualities and heart measurements" would be chosen to go to heaven. 1904: "Great Company" of Revelation 7:9, 14 identified as a secondary spiritual class who have "insufficient zeal for the Lord, the Truth and the brethren" who are granted heavenly life, but on a lower spiritual plane. In heaven they serve as servants rather than kings and priests.
1907: The inauguration of the New Covenant described as belonging "exclusively to the coming age." Russell began to teach that the "church" (144,000 anointed Christians) had no mediator, but itself joined Christ as a joint messiah and mediator during the millennium. 1910–1919
Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. : Length of each creative 'day' of Genesis defined as precisely 7000 years. Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. : Russell "by no means confident" Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. would bring the upheaval he had predicted. 1916: Timing of Armageddon, previously claimed to have begun in Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. and to culminate in Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. , changed to have begun in Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. . 1919: Preaching work displaces "character development" as the "chief concern" of Bible Students. Russell had taught that Christians should embark on the gradual process of "sanctification" and personality improvement to fight sinful inclinations In 1919 The Watch Tower declared that the primary concern for Bible Students was to labor with God to find members of the elect class. 1919: The seven angels, or "messengers", of Revelation chapters 1 and 2 are identified "for the first time in the history of the church" as St Paul, St John, Arius, Peter Waldo, John Wycliffe, Martin Luther and Charles Taze Russell. 1920–1929
1920: Jesus Christ's crowning as king of Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. , previously 1878, changed to Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. . 1920: The preaching of the gospel of the Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. "in all the world for a witness unto all nations", (Matthew 24:14), previously claimed to have already been completed, identified as a work for modern-day anointed Christians. 1922: Establishment of Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. over earth, previously expected to result in the destruction of human governments and a "new rule of righteousness" by the end of Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content.  changed to an invisible event in heaven in Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. . 1923: "Sheep class", mentioned at Matthew 25:31-46 defined as those who do good to "elect" class and are rewarded by surviving Armageddon and gaining life under Christ's thousand-year reign. Russell had previously applied the parable to the work of dividing the people in the Millennial Age. 1923: Limitations placed on extent of Christ's ransom and resurrection hope. Russell had taught that Christ had provided a ransom for all; a 1923 Watch Tower article asserted that clergymen would not be resurrected and benefit from the ransom; later articles claimed that benefits of the ransom would also be denied to Adam and Eve; those who died in the Noachian flood; those who died at Sodom and Gomorrah; both the falls of Jerusalem and those who will die at Armageddon. 1925: Armageddon identified as a battle between God and Satan, resulting in the overthrow of human governments and false religion. Armageddon had previously been understood to mean a "melee between contending forces of mankind", resulting in social revolution and political anarchy. 1925: Michael, the dragon and the man-child in Revelation chapter 12, previously defined as the Pope, the Roman Empire and the papacy, redefined as Jesus, Satan and the New Nation (or Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. ), respectively. 1926: Use of name Jehovah, previously used sparingly at assemblies and in public preaching, given new emphasis. Announced in January 1, 1926 issue of The Watchtower. 1926: "Satan's organization" defined as the rulers of politics, commerce and religion and all their followers. 1927: "First resurrection" of "sleeping saints", previously 1878, changed to 1918. 1927: Identification of "time of the end" as a 115-year period from 1799 to Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. discontinued. Final reference appeared in J. F. Rutherford's Creation (1927). 1927: "Faithful and wise servant" of Matthew 24:45-47, previously defined as Russell since 1897, changed to a "class" comprising all remaining "anointed" Christians. 1927: "This generation" of Matthew 23:36, previously defined as "people living contemporaneously" changed to a remnant of the "anointed" on earth during Armageddon. 1928: Great Pyramid of Giza in Egypt, previously regarded as a testimony to the Bible and its chronology, declared to have no prophetic significance and built under the direction of Satan. 1928: Celebration of Christmas, previously embraced as a "tribute of respect" to Christ, discontinued because of its "pagan origin". 1929: Honoring of God's name described as "the outstanding issue facing all intelligent creation". 1929: "Superior authorities" of Romans 13:1 to whom Christians had to show subjection and obedience, previously defined as governmental authorities, redefined as God and Christ only. Secular state then regarded as demonic and almost without redeeming features. 1929: Beginning of "Time of the End" of Daniel 12:4 changed from 1799 to Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. . 1930–1939
1931: Adoption of the name "Jehovah's witnesses". 1932: Assertion that God's Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. ceased operating on his people when "[Jesus] the Lord came to his tem ple, in 1918", at which point Jesus 'took charge of feeding the flock'. 1932: The "Jews" who will be restored to their homeland, previously defined as literal Jews, redefined as the Christian congregation. 1932: Identification of "Jonadabs", a "sheep" class of people who take a stand for righteousness and who are to be preserved by God through Armageddon to gain everlasting life on earth. The term was drawn from the account at 2 Kings 10. In 1920 Rutherford had written that it was "unreasonable" to think God was developing any class other than the little flock (the 144,000 to attain heavenly kingship) and the "great company" (second spiritual class also with a heavenly hope). In 1934 the Watchtower explained that the "Jonadabs" survive Armageddon by living in the figurative "City of refuge", represented by remaining affiliated with the Watch Tower Society. 1932: Watch Tower Society adherents with an earthly hope should join the worldwide preaching work. In 1927 The Watchtower had directed that only anointed Christians were "entitled" to take part in the ministry. 1933: Christ's parousia – his second coming or invisible "presence" – previously established as Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. and reaffirmed as late as 1929, changed to Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. . 1934: Vindication of God's name becomes central doctrine. Rutherford noted that God had provided Jesus Christ's sacrifice as the redemption price for sinful humankind, but wrote that this was "secondary to the vindication of Jehovah's name". 1934: The 1917 teaching that Russell was exercising strong influence from heaven on the "harvesting" of anointed Christians described as "foolish". 1935: Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. of Revelation 7 defined as the "sheep" of Matthew 25, resulting in a redirection of proselytizing efforts from gathering the "elect" (remnant of the 144,000 with a heavenly destiny) to gathering an indeterminate number of people who could survive Armageddon and receive everlasting life on earth. Previously, the "great crowd" was believed to have a heavenly hope. 1935: Tobacco use "unclean" and prohibited for Bethel (branch office) staff and traveling overseers. 1935: Vaccines, described since 1921 as "devilish" and "an outrage", condemned as a violation of God's law. 1936: Device on which Jesus was killed, previously defined as a wooden cross, redefined as a "tree". An image of the cross appeared on the front page of The Watch Tower until October 1931. 1937: Jehovah's Witnesses with an earthly hope could be described as "Christian". In 1930 the Watchtower had asserted that the term "Christian" could be applied only to anointed followers of Christ. 1938: God's mandate to "be fruitful and multiply" said to apply only after the start of the millennium. The Watchtower said the mandate had never been carried out under righteous conditions, and so had failed to be fulfilled according to God's will. Rutherford urged Witnesses to delay marriage and the bearing of children until after Armageddon. 1939: Witnesses required to demonstrate complete neutrality in worldly affairs. 1940–1949
1942: Tobacco prohibition applied to all appointed positions, such as congregation overseers and servants. 1943: Destruction of Jerusalem moved from 606 BCE to 607 BCE, when the Watch Tower Society realised there was no year zero between 1 BCE and 1 CE, in order to maintain calculations regarding Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. ; return of the Jews from Babylon to Jerusalem moved from 536 BCE to 537 BCE to maintain 70 years after 607 BCE. 1943: Adam's creation, previously 4129 BCE or 4128 BCE, moved forward 100 years to 4028 BCE. The shift in dates also moved the termination point of 6,000 years of human history from October 1872 to 1972. 1944: Responsibility for administering discipline, including disfellowshipping, of dissident members passed from entire congregation to congregational judicial committees. Russell had recommended in a 1904 publication that a congregation "committee" investigate a congregant's serious "error or sin", but the entire congregation voted whether "to withdraw from him its fellowship". 1944: Adam's creation, previously 4028 BCE, changed to 4026 BCE. 1945: Blood transfusions forbidden. Russell had viewed the prohibition on eating blood in Acts 15:19-29 as a "suggestion" to gentile Christians in order to "guard against stumbling themselves or becoming stumbling blocks to others" and ensure peace within the early church. 1950–1959
1951: "This generation" of Matthew 23:36, previously defined as a remnant of the "anointed" on earth during Armageddon changed to "a 'generation' in the ordinary sense" who were alive in Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. . 1951: Celebration of birthdays considered "objectionable" because celebrations are "steeped in false worship" and exalt humans. 1952: Vaccines, previously condemned, considered acceptable. 1953: Adam's creation, previously 4026 BCE, changed to 4025 BCE. End of God's 6,000-year "rest day" ending in northern hemisphere autumn 1976. 1954: Worship of Jesus, previously considered appropriate and necessary, deemed inappropriate, with the New World Translation translating proskyne′ō as "do obeisance to" rather than "worship" (King James Version). 1955: Operation of Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. , asserted in 1932 to have ceased in 1918, stated as having been still operative after 1918.
1961: Acceptance of blood transfusion deemed a disfellowshipping offence. Acceptance of human organ transplant stipulated a personal matter to be decided without criticism. 1962: "Superior authorities" of Romans 13:1 redefined as earthly governments, reverting the 1929 change to
ussell's 1886 teaching. A year earlier, Russell's view was considered to have made the Watch Tower Bible Students unclean in God's eyes. 1963: Adam's creation changed back to 4026 BCE. End of 6,000 years of human history due in northern hemisphere autumn 1975. 1967: Human organ transplants equated with cannibalism, "a practice abhorrent to all civilized people", and said to be a procedure not permitted by God. The Watchtower article announcing the view is interpreted by commentators as a prohibition. In a 1972 article, Jehovah's Witnesses are described as having taken a "stand" against organ transplants, saving them from the consequences of such operations, on the basis of the description of the procedure as "a form of cannibalism". 1968: Interval between Adam's creation and the close of the sixth creative "day", previously "quite some time", changed to "a comparatively short period of time" that "may involve only a difference of weeks or months, not years." The change led to expectations that Christ's 1,000 year reign could begin in 1975. 1970–1979
1973: Tobacco use banned. Tobacco users not to be accepted for baptism and baptized Witnesses to be disfellowshipped if they continue to smoke after "a reasonable period of time, such as six months". 1980–1989
1980: Acceptance of human organ transplants stipulated as a matter of personal choice not warranting congregational discipline. View of transplants as cannibalism now said to be held only by "some Christians". The Watchtower article is regarded by commentators as a reversal of Society's 1967 position that the procedure is not permitted by God. 1981: Members who formally resign membership of the religion (disassociate) are to be shunned in the same manner as disfellowshipped Witnesses. 1983: Martial arts and carrying "firearms for protection against humans" disqualify a Witness from "special privileges in the congregation", such as appointment as Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. . 1988: Length of creative 'days' in Genesis, previously defined as exactly 7,000 years each, changed to "at least thousands of years in length" [emphasis added] 1990-1999
1990: Interval between Adam's creation and the close of the sixth creative "day" changed to "some time", employing a 1963 reference rather than the 1968 change. 1992: The "modern-day Nethinim", previously defined as synonymous with the "other sheep", redefined as a subset of the "other sheep" who serve in positions of authority within the organization as "helpers" to the Governing Body. 1995: "This generation" at Matthew 23:36, previously defined as a typical human lifespan since Jesus' parousia in Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. , redefined as a class of people displaying certain characteristics for an indefinite period of time. 1995: Fulfillment of Jesus' parable of the separating of sheep and goats, previously considered to have been ongoing since Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. , changed to after the start of the 'great tribulation'. 1995: The expression "vindication of Jehovah’s name" declared unnecessary, with emphasis on "vindicating his sovereignty" and "sanctifying his name" as being more accurate. The former expression had not appeared in any publication since 1991. 1999: Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. . It is also not encouraged. 2000–2009
2007: Selection of the 144,000 "anointed", previously considered to have ended in 1935, changed to an indefinite period. 2008: "This generation" redefined as "anointed" believers, who will "not pass away" before the great tribulation begins. This was a return to the belief held in 1927. 2010–2019
2010: "This generation" redefined to refer to a new generation of "anointed" whose lives "overlap" with "the anointed who were on hand when the sign began to become evident in Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. ". 2012: "Faithful and discreet slave", previously defined as synonymous with the "anointed" and represented by the Governing Body, redefined to refer to the Governing Body only. The "domestics", previously defined as each member of the "anointed" individually, redefined as including all members of the "anointed" and the "great crowd". The "evil slave" of Matthew 24:48, previously defined as former "anointed" members who reject Jesus, redefined as a hypothetical warning to the "faithful slave". 2014: Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. meaning at Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. clarified to mean the Messianic Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. (first announced at the Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. ) 2014 Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. limited to 80 years of age. Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. 2014: "Gog of Magog" redefined at the Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. 2014: Formerly avoided, TV style evangelism is now embraced with the new JW Broadcasting at the Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. differentiated by a lack of request for donations as other Televangelists. 2014: Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. 2015: Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. is started 2015: Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. 2016 Ezekiel chapter 9 - Identity of the man with the secretary's inkhorn changed from the anointed to Jesus Christ 2017 JW men sporting beards in field service appear more regularly - example 2018: "Russia and its Allies" are again "The King of the North" - 2018 Annual Meeting 2019: Two witness rule suspended in cases of Child Sexual Abuse after global outcry - Discussion here
71. Zion's Watch Tower and Herald of Christ's Presence, January 1, 1908, page 2.
72. Franz 2007, p. 492
73. Russell 1886, pp. 149–172
74. Charles Taze Russell, "Harvest Gatherings and Siftings", Zion's Watch Tower, July 15, 1906, p. 3821 (reprint).
75. 1975 Yearbook of Jehovah's Witnesses, page 36.
76. "Who Can Read the Sign Aright?", Watchtower, February 1, 1985, page 10.
77. Rogerson, Alan (1969), Millions Now Living Will Never Die: A Study of Jehovah's Witnesses, Constable & Co, London, pp. 17–23, ISBN 978-0-09-455940-0
78. Barbour 1877, pp. 67–77
79. Penton 1997, p. 20
80. Russell 1889, pp. 38, 39
81. Zion's Watch Tower and Herald of Christ's Presence, August 1879, Reprints 20, page 3.
82. C. T. Russell, The Object and Manner of Our Lord's Return, 1877.
83. The Watch Tower, July 1, 1879, p. 7 (reprint).
84. "Speak the Pure Language and Live Forever!", The Watchtower, May 1, 1991, page 17, "In 1879...a small Bible-study group led by Charles Taze Russell was meeting in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, U.S.A. They had become certain that Jesus’ second coming...would restore Paradise on earth, with eternal life for obedient humans."
85. Charles Taze Russell, "Haverst Gatherings and Siftings", Zion's Watch Tower, July 15, 1906, p. 3824 (reprint).
86. C. T. Russell, The Divine Plan of the Ages, 1886, study IX, page 172, "These things are clearly taught in the Scriptures, from beginning to end, and are in direct opposition to the Evolution theory; or, rather, such "babblings of science, falsely so called," are in violent and irreconcilable conflict with the Word of God."
87. Barbour 1877, pp. 6, 42
88. Barbour 1877, p. 42
89. Barbour 1877, p. 165
90. Barbour 1877, p. 48,49
91. Watch Tower, January 1880, Watch Tower Reprints page 64 As Retrieved 2009-09-23, page 2
92. Watch Tower, April 1881, Watch Tower Reprints page 207 As Retrieved 2009-09-23, page 7, "And why did they thus keep the people in ignorance? Because they feared that if people knew this, the only text which gives even a shadow of support to the doctrine of the TRINITY, to be an interpolation to support a papal error, they might renounce the error".
93. Zion's Watch Tower, September 1881, Watch Tower Reprints page 278 As Retrieved 2009-09-23, page 132, "As to the motives and errors which may have led to these unwarranted interpolations of the [Bible] text, we may be able to offer a suggestion, viz., the last mentioned (1 John 5:7,8) was probably intended to give authority and sanction to the doctrine of the "Trinity."
94. Watch Tower, October 1881, Watch Tower Reprints page 290 As Retrieved 2009-09-23, page 4, ""He gave his only begotten Son." This phraseology brings us into conflict with an old Babylonian theory, viz.: Trinitarianism. If that doctrine is true, how could there be any Son to give? A begotten Son, too? Impossible. If these three are one, did God send himself? And how could Jesus say: "My Father is greater than I." John 14:28. [emphasis retained from original]"
95. Zion's Watch Tower and Herald of Christ's Presence, July 1882, Reprints 370, page 3.
96. Penton, M. J. (1997), Apocalypse Delayed (2nd ed.), University of Toronto Press, p. 343, note 64, "Barbour and Paton were trinitarians ... although Henry Grew and George Stetson, two others who had influenced him, were non–trinitarians, Russell did not take a stand on the matter, at least publicly, until after his split with Paton."
97. Jehovah's Witnesses, Proclaimers of God's Kingdom, Watch Tower Bible & Tract Society, 1993, page 120.
98. N. H. Barbour, C. T. Russell, Three Worlds, 1877, page 57, "I am beginning to think Age-to-come people, and many others among pre-millennialists, do not believe in anything of a spiritual nature, or have the most remote comprehension of things of that order; either that the saint is raised 'a spiritual body,' or in the existence of spiritual beings, or even of the
Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. itself. I know one class of age-to-come believers, the Christadelphians, do not. The Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. , say they, is but a principle, or element of power, and not an intelligence. It is nothing more nor less than 'electricity;' is taught in one of their books, now before me. What wonder they discern only a fleshly future."
99. J. H. Paton, Day Dawn, A.D. Jones, 1880, page 225, 229, "The work of the Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. is one of the most important elements in the plan of revelation and salvation. He is always spoken of by the Saviour as a Person, and is called the " Spirit of truth." We will follow the Saviour's example in this, though we do not propose to deal with the philosophy of that fact. He being the Spirit of truth, it is His mission to make known the truth."
100. Zion's Watch Tower, July 1880, page 8, "But the Spirit cannot resign his work until it is complete."
101. Zion's Watch Tower, August 1880, page 4, "Then let the Spirit use his sword upon others as he may see fit to humble them, strip them of pride, and bring them to the rock that is higher than they."
102. Zion's Watch Tower, November 1880, page 8, "The Spirit is still our leader and instructor. He is now telling us of Him who comes by way of unseen presence that He is here present."
103. Zion's Watch Tower, March 1881, page 5, "The number three is surprisingly prominent, as the subject opens before us ... We would first call attention to the Divine Three – Father, Son and Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. – often mentioned in the Bible."
104. Charles Taze Russell, "Harvest Gatherings and Siftings", Zion's Watch Tower, July 15, 1906, p. 3825 (reprint).
105. Zion's Watch Tower and Herald of Christ's Presence, May 1882, Reprints 356, page 8.
106. Zion's Watch Tower and Herald of Christ's Presence, September 1882, Reprints 392, page 4.
107. "The Three Great Covenants", Zion's Watch Tower, March 1880.
108. "The New Covenant vs the Law Covenant", Zion's Watch Tower, September 1887.
109. Wills 2006, pp. 63–68
110. Russell 1891, pp. 38,47–59
111. Russell 1891, pp. 239–242
112. Charles Taze Russell, "Harvest Gatherings and Siftings", Zion's Watch Tower, July 15, 1906, p. 3823 (reprint).
113. Studies in the Scriptures 4. pp. 602–603.
114. Russell 1889, p. 78
115. "The Outlook - War & Prosperity", Zion's Watch Tower & Herald of Christ's Presence, September 15, 1901 (R2876 page 292)
116. "Universal Anarchy", Zion's Watch Tower & Herald of Christ's Presence, July 1, 1904 (R3389 page 197)
117. The New Creation, (Volume VI of Studies in the Scriptures), 1904, page 179: “We have every reason to believe that the definite, fixed number of the elect [chosen anointed ones] is that several times stated in Revelation (7:4; 14:1); namely, 144,000 ‘redeemed from amongst men."
118. "The Great Company", Zion's Watch Tower, October 15, 1904.
119. The New Creation, (Volume VI of Studies in the Scriptures), 1904, page 168-170.
120. Wills 2006, pp. 57, 58
121. "The Rank of the Ancient Worthies", "The Great Company", Zion's Watch Tower, October 15, 1904.
122. "Our Advocate, the World's Mediator," Zion's Watch Tower, January 1, 1907.
123. "The Word Mediator Used Differently,", Watch Tower, January 1909.
124. Scenario of the Photo-Drama of Creation, © Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. International Bible Students Association, page 3
125. "Views from the Watch Tower", Zion's Watch Tower & Herald of Christ's Presence, January 1, Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. (R5373: page 3)
126. Russell 1889, p. 101
127. "Overcome With Wine", Zion's Watch Tower & Herald of Christ's Presence, January 15, 1892 (R1357: page 27)
128. "What Smiting of the Waters May Mean", Zion's Watch Tower & Herald of Christ's Presence, February 1, 1916 (R5845: page 38)
129. "The Burning of the Tares", Zion's Watch Tower & Herald of Christ's Presence, September 1, 1916 (R5951: page 265)
130. The Watch Tower, October 1, 1913, pgs 291-295.
131. Zion's Watch Tower, April 1, 1916, pages 98-99.
132. The Watch Tower, December 15, 1919, pg 375.
133. "The Table of the Great King,", The Watchtower, April 1, 1919, as cited by James Penton, Apocalypse Delayed, pg 181.
134. Russell 1889, p. 233
135. Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content.
136. C. T. Russell, The Battle of Armageddon, Watch Tower Bible & Tract Society, 1897, page 568.
137. "Gospel of the Kingdom", Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. .
138. "View from the Tower", Zion's Watch Tower & Herald of Christ's Presence, January 15, 1892 (R1354: page 19)
139. New Heavens and a New Earth, Watch Tower Bible & Tract Society, 1953, page 225.
140. Watch Tower, November 1, 1922, pages 332-337.
141. Penton 1997, p. 72
142."The Keys of the Kingdom and the Great Crowd", Watchtower, October 1, 1971, page 14.
143. "The Parable of the sheep and goats", The Watchtower, October 15, 1923, pages 307-314.
144. Wills 2006, p. 113
145. Watch Tower, October 15, 1923.
146. Wills 2006, pp. 141, 142
147. Watch Tower, January 1, 1925.
148. Rutherford 1930, p. 134
149. Rutherford 1930, p. 223
150. Rutherford 1930, p. 251
151. Zion's Watch Tower, August 1, 1892, page 238.
152. The Finished Mystery, 1917, pages 256-258. See comment on Rev. 16:16-20.
153. Watch Tower, March 1, 1925, page 69.
154. J. F. Rutherford, The Battle of Armageddon, Watch Tower Bible & Tract Society, 1889, page 541.
155. "Restoration of True Religion", Watchtower, March 1, 1954, page 150.
156. J.F. Rutherford, Deliverance, Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society, 1926, pages 268,269.
157. Russell 1891, p. 306
158. Watch Tower, June 1, 1927.
159. Rutherford 1930, p. 226
160. Russell 1891, p. 23
161. Creation by J.F. Rutherford, Watch Tower Bible & Tract Society, 1927, chapter 12, page 314.
162. The Battle of Armageddon (Part IV, "Studies in the Scriptures") by C. T. Russell, Watch Tower Bible & Tract Society, 1897, page 613.
163. Zion's Watch Tower and Herald of Christ's Presence, July 15, 1906, page 215.
164. Franz 2002, pp. 78–79
165. Watch Tower, March 1, 1923, pages 68 and 71, as cited by Raymond Franz, Crisis of Conscience, Commentary Press, 2007, page 63.
166. Watch Tower, January 1, 1927 and February, pages 7, 51-7, as cited by Penton, Apocalypse Delayed.
167.The Watchtower: 62. February 15, 1927.
168. Watchtower, June 15, 1922, page 187, as reproduced by Raymond Franz, Crisis of Conscience, page 225, 226.
169. Watchtower, 1928, pages 339-45, 355-62, as cited by M. James Penton, Apocalypse Delayed, University of Toronto Press, page 170.
170. "The Prince of Peace", Zion's Watch Tower & Herald of Christ's Presence, December 1, 1904, page 364.
171. The Golden Age, December 24, 1919, page 215: "Christmas is regarded by many people as the date of the birth of the babe Jesus in a manger at Bethlehem. Whether the date is correct or not is of small importance, but the event was and is of the greatest importance."
172. 1975 Yearbook, Watch Tower Bible & Tract Society, page 146
173. Jehovah's Witnesses - Proclaimers of God's Kingdom, Watch Tower Bible & Tract Society, 1993, page 152.
174. Franz 2007, p. 484
175. "The Higher Powers", Watch Tower, June 1929, pages 163-169, 179-185.
176. Penton 1997, p. 65
177. The Watchtower, December 1, 1929, pages 355-357, as cited by Edmond C. Gruss, The Four Presidents of the Watch Tower Society, page 117 and Tony Wills, A People For His name, page 48.
178. Penton 1997, p. 62
179. Preservation by J. F. Rutherford, Watch Tower Bible & Tract Society, 1932, page 103-194.
180. Watch Tower, October 1, 1932, page 294.
181. Preparation, ©1933 by J. F. Rutherford, Watch Tower, page 196
182. The Watchtower, February 15, 1925, page 57, "We know the work of restitution must come to the Jews first, and through them to the rest of the world. As the Scriptures state that Jerusalem is to be the capital of the world and that the ancient worthies are to be princes in all the earth, we are warranted in expecting that the kingdom work will begin at Jerusalem."
183. Vindication, Book 2, by J.F. Rutherford, Watch Tower Bible & Tract Society, 1932, pages 258, 269, 295.
184. Vindication, Book 3, by J.F. Rutherford, Watch Tower Bible & Tract Society, 1932, page 333.
185. Jehovah's Witnesses – Proclaimers of God's Kingdom, Watch Tower Bible & Tract Society, 1993, page 165.
186. Watchtower, August 15, 1934, as cited by Tony Wills, A People For His Name, pg 192-193.
187. Vindication, J. F. Rutherford, Book III, pages 83. 84.
188. Watchtower, January 15, 1927, pg 26, 27, "He who is called to be a minister of God must be a new creature, begotten of God's Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. ; none other can have a share. In this ministry only those who are new creatures in Jesus Christ are entitled to share." As cited by Tony Wills, A People For His Name,(2007), pg 194.
189. Prophecy by J. F. Rutherford, Watch Tower Bible & Tract Society, 1929, chapter 4, page 65.
190. Watch Tower, December 1, 1933, page 362: "In the year 1914 that due time of waiting came to an end. Christ Jesus received the authority of the kingdom and was sent forth by Jehovah to rule amidst his enemies. The year 1914, therefore, marks the second coming of the Lord Jesus Christ, the King of glory."
191. Penton 1997, p. 69
192. Jehovah, J.F. Rutherford, Watch Tower Bible & Tract Society, 1934.
193. Watchtower, November 1, 1917, page 6161.
194. J.F. Rutherford, Jehovah, Watch Tower Bible & Tract Society, 1934, page 191.
195. Jehovah's Witnesses in the Divine Purpose, Watch Tower Bible & Tract Society, 1959, page 140.
196. The Watchtower, March 1, 1935
197. The Golden Age, October 12, 1921, Page 17, "Vaccination never prevented anything and never will, and is the most barbarous practice ... We are in the last days; and the devil is slowly losing his hold, making a strenuous effort meanwhile to do all the damage he can, and to his credit can such evils be placed ... Use your rights as American citizens to forever abolish the devilish practice of vaccinations."
198. The Golden Age, January 5, 1929, Page 502, "Thinking people would rather have smallpox than vaccination, because the latter sows seeds of syphilis, cancers, eczema, erysipelas, scrofula, consumption, even leprosy and many other loathsome affections. Hence the practice of vaccinations is a crime, an outrage, and a delusion."
199. The Golden Age, April 2, 1935, Page 465, "As vaccination is a direct injection of animal matter in the blood stream, vaccination is a direct violation of the law of Jehovah God."
200. Riches, by J.F. Rutherford, Watch Tower Bible & Tract Society, 1936, page 27.
201. Franz 2007, p. 150
202. Watchtower, November 1, 1937, page 336, as cited by Tony Wills, A People For His Name, pg 195.
203. Watchtower, March 1, 1930, page 71, "Since "Christ' means the anointed of God, it is manifestly true that no one can properly be termed a Christian who is not in Christ and who has not received the anointing."
204. A People for His Name, Tony Wills, pgs 186-187, citing Watchtower October 15, 1938, pg 307, Watchtower, November 1, 1938, page 323, Watchtower, November 15, 1938, page 346.
205. Watch Tower, November 1, 1939, as cited by Jehovah's Witnesses, Proclaimers of God's Kingdom, Watch Tower Bible & Tract Society, 1993, page 193.
206. The Watchtower, July 1, 1942, pages 205-206
207. "Questions from Readers". The Watchtower: 94. February 1, 1955. "Jehovah's witnesses from 1877 up to and including the publishing of "The Truth Shall Make You Free" of 1943 considered 536 B.C. as the year for the return of the Jews to Palestine"
208. "Determining the Year by Fact and Bible". The Watchtower: 271–2. May 1, 1952. "Concerning the first error, Russell and others considered 1 B.C. to A.D. 1 as being two years whereas in fact this is only one year because, as has been said above, there is no "zero" year in the B.C.-A.D. system for counting years."
209. Russell 1889, p. 54
210. Zion's Watch Tower and Herald of Christ's Presence, May 15, 1896, R1980 page 112.
211. Three Worlds, by N. H. Barbour and C. T. Russell, 1877, pages 67, 186, as cited by Edmund Gruss, The Jehovah's Witnesses and Prophetic Speculation, 1972, pages 62-63.
212. The Truth Shall Make You Free, Watch Tower Bible & Tract Society, 1943, chapter 11, page 151.
213. Gruss, Edmond C. (1972), The Jehovah's Witnesses and Prophetic Speculation, Presbyterian and Reformed Publishing Co, pp. 68–69, ISBN 0-87552-306-4
214. Penton 1997, p. 89
215. The Watchtower, May 15, 1944.
216. The New Creation, Watch Tower, 1904, pages 289-290, "The administration of discipline is not the function of the Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. only, but of the entire [congregation]. ... If the reproved one fails to clear himself, and continues in the error or sin, then two or three brethren without previous prejudice should be asked to hear the matter and advise the disputants. ( Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. they may or may not be, but their eldership would add no force or authority in the case except as their judgment might be the riper and their influence the more potent.) If this committee decide unanimously with either party, the other should acquiesce and the matter be wholly at an end--correction, or restitution, so far as possible, being promptly made. If either of the original disputants still persists in the wrong course, the [accuser, a committee member] or, preferably, all of these together, may then (but not sooner) exercise their privilege of bringing the matter before the [congregation]. Thus it is evident that the Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. were in no sense to be judges of the members—hearing and judgment were left to the [congregation]. The two preliminary steps (above mentioned) having been taken, the facts being certified to the Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. , it would be their duty to call a general meeting of the [congregation], as a court--to hear the case in all of its particulars, and in the name and reverence of its Head to render a decision. ... if the transgressor refuse to hear (obey) the decision of the entire [congregation], ... the [congregation] is to withdraw from him its fellowship and any and all signs or manifestations of brotherhood. [emphasis retained from original]
217. "Questions From Readers", The Watchtower, 1 February 1955: 94–95
218. Penton 1997, p. 153
219. The Watchtower, July 1. 1945.
220. The Watch Tower, November 15, 1892 p. 351.
221. The Watch Tower, April 15, 1909 pp. 116-117, "These prohibitions had never come to the Gentiles, because they had never been under the Law Covenant; but so deeply rooted were the Jewish ideas on this subject that it was necessary to the peace of the Church that the Gentiles should observe this matter also ... these items thus superadded to the Law of Love should be observed by all spiritual Israelites as representing the Divine will.”
222. The Watchtower: 404. July 1, 1951.
223. Questions From Readers, Watchtower, October 1, 1951.
224. The Watchtower, December 15, 1952.
225. "Questions From Readers", Watchtower, September 15, 1958: "Q: Are we to consider the injection of serums such as diphtheria toxin antitoxin and blood fractions such as gamma globulin into the blood stream, for the purpose of building up resistance to disease by means of antibodies, the same as the drinking of blood or the taking of blood or blood plasma by means of transfusion? A: No, it does not seem necessary that we put the two in the same category, although we have done so in times past.
226. "Questions From Readers", The Watchtower, 1 February 1955: 95
227. "Interesting Queries", Watch Tower, July 15, 1898, page 216.
228. Watchtower, November 15, 1939, page 339: "Jehovah God commands all to worship Christ Jesus because Christ Jesus is the express image of his Father, Jehovah"
229. Watchtower, October 15, 1945, page 313: "Since Jehovah God now reigns as King by means of his capital organization Zion, then whosoever would worship Him must also worship and bow down to Jehovah's Chief One in that capital organization, namely, Christ Jesus."
230. "Questions From Readers", Watchtower, January 1, 1954, page 30.
231. "Modern Restoration of True Worship (1919-1932)", The Watchtower, May 15, 1955, page 296, "Jesus—then to expand on a global scale—so now in the spring of 1919 there was an outpouring of Jehovah’s Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. organizationally upon the Christian remnant."
232. Watchtower, January 15, 1961, page 63.
233. Watchtower, August 1, 1961, page 480.
234. Watchtower, November 15, 1962.
235. The Divine Plan of the Ages, by C. T. Russell, Watch Tower Bible & Tract Society, 1886, page 266: "They taught the Church to obey the laws, and to respect those in authority because of their office, even if they were not personally worthy of esteem; to pay their appointed taxes, and, except where they conflicted with God's laws (Acts 4: 19; 5: 29), to offer no resistance to any established law. (Rom. 13: 1 - 7)"
236. "The Congregation in the Time of the End", Watchtower, March 1, 1961, page 146.
237. All Scripture Is Inspired of God and Beneficial, Watch Tower Bible & Tract Society, 1963, page 286.
238. "The Removal of Mankind's Chief Disturber", The Watchtower, 15 July 1967: 446–447
239. Awake, June 8, 1968, Page 21 “Christian witnesses of Jehovah,... consider all transplants between humans as cannibalism.”
240. Watchtower, November 15, 1967, pages 702-704
241. Penton, M. J. Penton, Apocalypse Delayed, University of Toronto Press, pp. 165–171, "In 1967 the society suddenly decided that what had been permissible no longer was. Organ transplants suddenly became a form of human cannibalism ... Yet after many faithful Jehovah's Witnesses had suffered for their faith by giving up transplants which in some cases could have made their lives more pleasant and comfortable and by saving them from early death in others, the society again reversed itself."
242. "Keep Abstaining from Blood", Awake!, July 8, 1972, page 28, "The stand of the Christian witnesses of Jehovah—that such transplants are in effect a form of cannibalism—proved a safeguard. How so? In that it spared them much frustration, grief and anxiety, which were experienced not only by the patients and their relatives but even by many of the assisting medical personnel."
243. "Questions From Readers", The Watchtower, February 1, 1955, page 95, "However, from our present chronology (which is admitted imperfect) at best the fall of the year 1976 would be the end of 6,000 years of human history for mankind... Obviously, whatever amount of Adam’s 930 years was lived before the beginning of that seventh-day rest of Jehovah, that unknown amount would have to be added to the 1976 date."
244. Thy Kingdom Come by C. T. Russell, Watch Tower Bible & Tract Society, 1889, pages 127-128. "long enough [for Adam] to realize his lack of a companion" and an additional "two years would not be an improbable estimate" to have passed between Adam's creation and Edenic expulsion (beginning the seventh creative day).
245. "Why Are You Looking Forward to 1975?", The Watchtower, August 15, 1968, page 499-500
246. Watchtower, June 1, 1973, page 340.
247. "Questions From Readers", Watchtower, March 15, 1980, page 31.
248. John Dart, "Defectors Feel Witnsses' Wrath", Los Angeles Times, January 30, 1982, Part II, page 4, "The Sept. 15 Watchtower magazine told members that anyone who has written a letter of resignation should be shunned as if he had been 'disfellowshipped', or expelled ... 'This is a hardening, a tightening, of our policy,' confirmed William Van De Wall, a headquarters spokesman for the Watchtower Society. Denying any great membership losses, Van De Wall said the new directive was to counteract 'disgruntled' ex-members."
249. “Seek Peace and Pursue It”, The Watchtower, July 15, 1983, page 25
250. "Questions from readers", The Watchtower, January 1, 1987, page 30, "A study of the fulfillment of Bible prophecy and of our location in the stream of time strongly indicate that each of the creative days is 7,000 years long. It is understood that Christ’s reign of a thousand years will bring to a close God’s 7,000-year ‘rest day,’ the last ‘day’ of the creative week. Based on this reasoning, the entire creative week would be 49,000 years long."
251. "Creation", Insight, volume 1, 1988 Watch Tower, page 545, "Since the seventh day has been continuing for thousands of years, it may reasonably be concluded that each of the six creative periods, or days, was at least thousands of years in length ... Ascribing not just 24 hours but a longer period of time, thousands of years, to each of the creative days better harmonizes with the evidence found in the earth itself."
252. All Scripture Is Inspired of God and Beneficial, Watch Tower Bible & Tract Society, 1990, page 286.
253. Man's Salvation Out of World Distress at Hand!, pages 167–168 (1975)
254. The Watchtower, April 15, 1992, pages 12–17
255. Watchtower, November 1, 1995, page 20.
256. The Watchtower, June 1, 1997, page 28: "The recent information in The Watchtower about "this generation" did not change our understanding of what occurred in 1914. But it did give us a clearer grasp of Jesus' use of the term "generation," helping us to see that his usage was no basis for calculating-counting from 1914 – how close to the end we are."
257. Joel P. Engardio (December 18, 1995), "Apocalypse Later", Newsweek
258. Penton 1997, p. 317
259. John Dart, "Jehovah's Witnesses Abandon Key Tenet", Los Angeles Times, November 4, 1995.
260. Watchtower, February 1, 1995.
261. Penton 1997, p. 316
262. "Part 2—Flashes of Light—Great and Small", The Watchtower, May 15, 1995, page 25
263. "Chapter 24: Why Jesus Came to Earth", The Greatest Man Who Ever Lived, ©1991, "Jesus came to earth particularly to preach about God’s Kingdom, which will vindicate his Father’s name"
264. Watchtower, February 15, 1995, p.19.
265. Watchtower, May 1, 2007, pages 30-31: "It appears that we can not set a specific date for when the calling of Christians to the heavenly hope ends."
266. "Watchtower", February 15, 2008, pages 23-24: "On the other hand, Christ's faithful anointed brothers, the modern-day John class, have recognized this sign as if it were a flash of lightning and have understood its true meaning. As a class, these anointed ones make up the modern-day "generation" of contemporaries that will not pass away "until all these things occur."* This suggests that some who are Christ's anointed brothers will still be alive on earth when the foretold great tribulation begins."
267. " Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. role in the outworking of Jehovah's purposes", The Watchtower, 15 April 2010: 10
268. "Your Leader Is One, the Christ". The Watchtower: 23. September 15, 2010.
269. "Annual Meeting Report".
270. The Watchtower: 20–25. July 15, 2013.
Why does it take the Inquisition into the CSA by governments around the world, lawsuits in many countries and the threat of non-profit status in a few countries to FORCE the wt/gb to amend the CSA policy? The article is in the May 2019 WT and the title of the article is "Love and Justice in the Face of Wickedness".
"13 Do elders comply with secular laws about reporting an allegation of child abuse to the secular authorities? Yes. In places where such laws exist, elders endeavor to comply with secular laws about reporting allegations of abuse....So when they learn of an allegation, elders immediately seek direction on how they can comply with laws about reporting it."
I can see that they still won't enforce reporting to the police each and every CSA case only if required by law. Key word is "REQUIRED" .
"14 Elders assure victims and their parents and others with knowledge of the matter that they are free to report an allegation of abuse to the secular authorities. But what if the report is about someone who is a part of the congregation and the matter then becomes known in the community? Should the Christian who reported it feel that he has brought reproach on God’s name? No. The abuser is the one who brings reproach on God’s name."
Finally, they finally get it that it is the wrong doer who is the bad guy and not the reporter.......but, I'm sure this is just lip service. And here's why:
16 When they learn that someone in the congregation is accused of child abuse, elders endeavor to comply with any secular laws about reporting the matter, and then they conduct a Scriptural investigation. If the individual denies the accusation, the elders consider the testimony of witnesses. If at least two people—the one making the accusation and someone else who can verify this act or other acts of child abuse by the accused—establish the charge, a judicial committee is formed.
Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content.
And there you have it, two witness rule still in effect and no mandatory reporting of CSA unless mandated by law.
However, what is the true gain here? Not much, but some is better than nothing, the fact that whoever reports is not the bad guy, the abuser is. What a wonderful provision made by the loving Jehoverning body. I hope that one day the gb/wt will be on par with humanity in reporting ALL accusations of CSA or any abuse for that matter.
By The Librarian
Part of a series on: Jehovah's Witnesses >
Jehovah's Witnesses began capitalizing Governing Body as a proper noun in 1971;The Watchtower that year announced "The present Governing Body comprises eleven anointed witnesses of Jehovah." The original members of the 1971 Governing Body, all now deceased, are indicated in italics in the lists below.
The following people are members of the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses (year appointed in parentheses): Samuel Herd (1999) Geoffrey Jackson (2005) M. Stephen Lett (1999) Gerrit Lösch (1994) Anthony Morris III (2005) Mark Sanderson (2012) David H. Splane (1999) Kenneth Cook (2018) Deceased
The following individuals were members of the Governing Body until death (years active in parentheses, including years as Watch Tower Society directors, informally identified as the "governing body" prior to 1971): Carey W. Barber (1977–2007) Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. (1977–2010) William Lloyd Barry (1974–1999) Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. (1974–1996) Charles J. Fekel (1974–1977) Frederick William Franz (1944–1992)—5th President of Watch Tower Society George D. Gangas (1971–1994) John O. Groh (1965–1975) Milton George Henschel (1947–2003)—6th President of Watch Tower Society William K. Jackson (1971–1981) Theodore Jaracz (1974–2010) Karl F. Klein (1974–2001) Nathan Homer Knorr (1940–1977)—4th President of Watch Tower Society Guy H. Pierce (1999- Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. ) Martin Pötzinger (1977–1988) Albert D. Schroeder (1974–2006) Grant Suiter (1938–1983) Thomas J. Sullivan (1932–1974) Lyman Alexander Swingle (1945–2001) Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. (1974–2006) Resigned
The following individuals Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. (years active in parentheses): Ewart Chitty (1974–1979) Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. (1971–1980) Leo K. Greenlees (1971–1984)
Voici la vidéo "Dieu accepte-t-il toutes les religions ?" en 10 langues.
Il faut utiliser VLC pour la visualiser et utiliser l'option Audio pour sélectionner la langue (Anglais, Arabe ……). Par défaut c'est le français qui est actif.
Bonne utilisation dans le service pour Jéhovah.
Toutes Religions Bonnes 3,55 min (10).mkv
By JOHN BUTLER
Luke 10 v 21 In that very hour he became overjoyed in the holy spirit and said: “I publicly praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have carefully hidden these things from wise and intellectual ones and have revealed them to young children. Yes, O Father, because this is the way you approved.
This seems to show that 'higher education' was not needed to learn, understand and teach, the truth from God, at that time.
It seems to be a well know thing within the JW Org and by people outside of same, that JW's are 'told' not to aim for higher education. I say told, although some will say strongly advised, with a possible caution of being disfellowshipped.
Now I've noticed on here recently that deep conversation about many things has been and is taking place. Politics earthwide. religious beliefs earthwide and the latest thing seems to be Evolution (from a very deep standpoint ). ( These things were never taught to me at school. )
I left school at 15 years old, as soon as I was able, for reasons previously mentioned. Here in UK now teenagers have to remain in education until they are 18. The three years from 15 to 18 seem to me to be almost 'higher education', but compulsory. How much they learn at school now I've no idea.
My feelings are, and yes ok i cannot put proof to these feelings, but, my feelings are, that all forms of higher education are advised against by the GB and the JW Org. Some of you may have some proof of this in writing. So, where does this leave JW's ?
If a young person leaves school to go into full time 'service' ministry, they do not get a higher education. Their 'basic' education may have been just that, very basic. They are then not 'qualified' to talk to others on a higher education level, and this might even be to the point of not understanding such things as are being discussed on here lately.
( Much of what is being discussed leaves me miles behind. I'm a very simple person. Plus at 69 I forget more than i learn. Yes I do write lots of notes and have books for recording different things, but the mind boggles. )
With respect for those I knew and loved in the past, within my ex congregation, many of them were 'simple country folk'. And I think Tom said about not having the time or inclination to do research online or or otherwise. So let us go back to the scripture at the top.
So many questions. Does God reveal more to those of a lesser education ? Is higher education and greater knowledge a disadvantage when wanting to serve God properly?
Or is it that those of higher education are too stubborn to learn God's way ? Too proud maybe ?
There are many things that the Bible doesn't tell us. is that deliberate ? Does God want to keep it simple for us ? So, should we pursue more knowledge about worldly things ?
A problem may occur when talking to others about God, in that they may have more knowledge on a certain subject than we do and therefore believe something different. Should we then educate ourselves to their level on the same subject, or just pass them by ? Bearing in mind the scripture at the top of this page.
There has to be a balance of course. But my feelings are that the GB would like JW's to be educated only by the Watchtower studies and by the 'workbook' evening meeting studies. And of course by personal Bible reading. But do JW's do as they are told in this respect or do a lot of them 'educate themselves', or take further education elsewhere ?
Here's to a more streamlined inbox, less conspiracy theories and actual news, and a 2019 even better than 2018.
Wishing you all the best,
p.s. - Soon you will see a lot of the small changes we have been working on in the background.
By The Librarian
All posts tagged ' Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. "
Brother Jackson started pioneering in February 1971 in Tasmania, the island state of Australia. In June 1974, he married Jeanette (Jenny). Shortly thereafter, they were appointed to serve as special pioneers. From 1979 to 2003, they served as missionaries in Tuvalu, Samoa, and Fiji—island nations in the South Pacific. While in the islands, Brother and Sister Jackson also contributed much to the work of translating Bible literature. Beginning in 1992, Brother Jackson served on the Branch Committee in Samoa, and from 1996, on the Branch Committee in Fiji. In April 2003, he and Jenny became part of the United States Bethel family and began to work in the Translation Services Department. Soon thereafter, Brother Jackson was made a helper to the Teaching Committee of the Governing Body. (See Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. ) Tragically, Geoffrey's wife Jenny lost her battle with cancer and died 22 December 2009 at the age of 54. Geoffrey has since remarried. He is one of the youngest members of the Governing Body, born in 1955. Recent news:
Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content.
Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. and Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. on Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. Australian time.
Milshon Masara (L) posing for a picture with guest speaker Geoffrey Jackson and his current wife, Loraini Jackson.
Taken at the Zimbabwe 2014 International Convention - Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content.
Geoffrey and Rae Jackson
Loraini Jackson is from Tazmania according to Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content.
Talks by Geoffrey Jackson
Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. - Encouraging clip of a talk by Geoffrey Jackson of the Governing Body
Talks translated into Spanish
Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content.
Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content.
Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content.
International delegates running into Geoffrey and Loraini Jackson in Harare, Zimbabwe.
Yesterday the final (4th) installment of the 2018 volume of Journal of Biblical Literature was published. Among the articles in it is a new manuscript of the Gospel of John, dating to the third to fourth centuries. The manuscript is scrappy, as these things often are, a few verses from the end of chapter 1 and the beginning of chapter 2. On the back is a fragment of an unknown early Christian text. An rare instance of the word "God" in Greek, not in nomen sacrum form, but fully written out is one of the interesting findings in it.
For those interested in reading the article, here it is.
Willoughby John-JBL 2018.4.pdf
Most OnlineNewest Member