The World News Media

The French Speaking Baptist Church of Stratford is now located in the former Jehovah's Witnesses Kingdom Hall at 494 Milford Point Road.

Jack Ryan

• Views 5.8k
  • Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

(Luke 12:41, 42) . . .Then Peter said: “Lord, are you telling this illustration just to us or also to everyone?” 42 And the Lord said: “Who really is the faithful steward, the discreet one, whom his m

I believe that the illustration of the Faithful and Discreet Slave applies to the Governing Body. But I also believe that it is presumptuous for anyone to limit the meaning of the Faithful and Discree

For me, this was a matter of prayerfully considering and meditating on the full meaning of the 2014 talk by Brother Splane when he admitted that many teachings were all being dropped at once because t

Posted Images

44 minutes ago, JW Insider said:

@divergenceKO, Was that the topic you were referring to? If so, I think it makes Orwell very observant, but not really a prophet.

Reminds me a bit of when the Watch Tower publications declared Rutherford to be prophet in 1924, while proposing that a British politician of the time was also a prophet because he was declaring some of the same rhetoric that Rutherford was declaring.

Thank you for this research. To some extent. One of Mr. Orwell’s prediction was fashioned in 1944 that Russia and Japan would gang up on the USA ending with a Russo-Japan treaty.

Of course that didn’t happen with the super powers. But it didn’t exclude Russia from being part of that power.

The other part. I mentioned to Mr. Rook. The Old George Almanac placed a comic-spin to those prediction.

Orwell’s predictions for 1946, which included economic disaster, resurgent fascism, “civil wars, bomb outrages, public executions, famines, epidemics and religious revivals.”

I compare that with authors such as Harold Bloom, Albert A. Berg

PAUL R. EHRLICH AND ANNE H. EHRLICH

ON POPULATION

The analysis of the environmental aspects of Nineteen Eighty-Four that follows is in several respects unfair to George Orwell. Anyone who writes about the future knows that precise

Prediction is impossible. One can forecast the implications of current trends on the assumption that they will continue; but the forecaster is always aware that many trends are unlikely to

Continue. We would view Nineteen Eighty-Four as a scenario, a device used to stimulate thinking about the future implications of the present course of society. In that context it was an

enormous success, for, whether it was intended as a forecast or a warning, Nineteen Eighty-Four alerted people to certain dehumanizing trends—some of which still seem very threatening today—flowing partly from technological advances.

Then I reflect on the parallels with what is considered predictions. The opinions then become substantive, not as a prophet but with vision.

3 minutes ago, Anna said:

Although all this is hugely off topic

I suppose I could tie it back to the original post about a French-speaking Baptist Church. Most of these are about the wording used when we try to imply that: for decades in advance the Bible Students predicted that 1914 would see a time of trouble associated with the end of the Gentile Times, Christ's presence, Christ's enthronement, and the casting of Satan out of heaven. The problem is that the English wording has (usually) become very careful to only IMPLY that the Watch Tower publications and Bible Students had, for decades, predicted Christ's presence, a time of great trouble, Satan's ousting, and Christ's enthronement. In reality, all that was predicted decades in advance for 1914, was "the end of the Gentile Times" which, of course, meant some things that are completely different from what we now apply it to.

It's easy for someone who knows English well, to create an implication of the above (to mislead) without actually stating something that's untrue. I have found some translations where the translator didn't catch the subtlety, and just assumed that the Watchtower really did predict these things. I guess it would be very difficult for Brother Jackson (Translation Dept) to call up these other translators and have to admit that they need to create a subtly misleading wording that does the same thing in Greek, for example, that it does in English. I'm sure it happens in many other languages where the translator isn't in on the "game."

But I am hesitant to start a repeat on a 1914 / Gentile Times topic.

This must have been devastating to Rutherford if Bible Students believed he was a prophet. According to the publications. A larger percentage of Bible Students left this suggested prophet. I can’t understand the logic, putting someone so high, then turn their backs on him, if he was truly considered a prophet.

The Watchtower December 1, 1927 pg 355 col 1 par 4

During the past fifty years God has been causing his light to shine with increasing power upon his Word. He has not given his people new truths, but illuminated the truths already given. During that short period of time many have separated themselves from all organized systems of religion and have tried to walk in the way that Jesus and the apostles walked. For a time they made progress; and then many became tired and weary in well doing or thought more highly of themselves than they should think or became lawless, while others became offended. These turned away, so that today the larger percent of those who withdrew from so-called organized Christianity have turned aside and again gone back into the world.

It must be certain Bible Students considered his insight as prophetic just like some considered Russell the wise servant. It’s unfortunate we can’t stop people from thinking in a certain way.

The Watchtower November 15, 1930 pg 342 col 1 pars 1-2

The total number of those who have withdrawn from the Society and now oppose its work is comparatively large, when such are taken all together. These are now divided into many companies, all claiming to be followers of Christ and claiming to be God’s little flock, while at the same time they speak evil things concerning those who are faithfully endeavoring to serve God. They denounce the Society and its work, saying that its activities are due to a man-made theory and that those who go to make up the Society are carnally minded and are engaged in a book-selling business and not in the service of Jehovah.

This can be relative when it comes to those that re-energize the same kind of modern division. We only need, look back to understand why.

10 hours ago, Sean Migos said:

It appears it must be true about Anna, ComforMyPeople, JWinsider, TrueTom, James Thomas Rook Jr to be in the same team. I will accept this group runs the forum. 

Fellow team members:

As our first order of business, I recommend that we banish Mr. @admin and @The Librarian  (that old hen)! Only then will our coup be complete!

As it turns out, of the twenty chickens my wife bought, 12 are roosters, and they fight all day, chasing all the hens around, and each other. I have an indoor chicken hospital for the injured.

I could really use a 175 pound old hen, to make them behave, but alas, the chickens cannot read, and know NOTHING about the Dewey Decimal System.

Chicken soup.jpg

9 hours ago, divergenceKO said:

I can’t understand the logic, putting someone so high, then turn their backs on him, if he was truly considered a prophet.

It's really pretty easy to understand. If a person is considered a prophet, and he tells people that there is not just evidence, but incontrovertible proof that the resurrection of David and Abraham will begin in 1925, and it doesn't happen -- believe me -- a lot of people are going to turn their backs on him. Some might give him a year or two, just in case of a minor math error, but most people don't wait around after a prophet makes a fool of himself.

There was another prophet like this named Nelson Barbour who prophesied that Jesus would return physically in 1873. He pumped up the readership of his Tract Society, but 1873 came and went, and he readjusted to 1874. Then 1874 came and went and the great majority of those subscribing to his tracts turned their backs on him. Probably about the same proportion of those who turned their back on Rutherford in just a few short years starting in 1925.

9 hours ago, divergenceKO said:

It’s unfortunate we can’t stop people from thinking in a certain way.

Not so sure that's such a hard thing as you think. All you have to do is say that you believe something might happen a certain way, rather than making outlandish claims that you have incontrovertible proof, and that there is more evidence for 1925 than Noah had for believing what God told him about the upcoming Flood. Or that even though the chronology for 1914 was based on "God's dates" that couldn't be changed even by one year, that there was more evidence for 1925 then there was for 1914. If you don't print claims in the publications that you (and those who appear to agree with you) have the spirit of the Old Testament prophets you will find that very few people will come up with this idea on their own.

11 minutes ago, JW Insider said:

If you don't print claims in the publications that you (and those who appear to agree with you) have the spirit of the Old Testament prophets you will find that very few people will come up with this idea on their own.

jw.org evidence for gods kingdom not based on faith but scientific evidence.mp4

1914.jpg

2 hours ago, JW Insider said:

It's really pretty easy to understand. If a person is considered a prophet, and he tells people that there is not just evidence

I can see where this would make sense here a prophet makes a fool of himself” I can see the same type of display. The thing I would consider, is the information coming from Jehovah, or is it a personal understanding of scripture. Here I would apply, test the spirit of a personal understanding.

I do recall where the Bible Students at one point considered the organization “like” a prophet, and I believe the same can be said about the Jehovah witness Watchtower. I would imagine this is possible if the Governing Body receives angelic substance and aid. A good reason I don't disrespect them as it is done here.

I guess it’s a matter of skeptics not trusting enough in Jehovah that other manifestation, of considered truth; will convince people of such skepticism.

I much rather trust in God, and his chosen leaders than a rebel without a cause. Supporting such conjecture yields bad fruits.

The idea of being able to stop people from thinking the way they do. I imagine you think like those that oppose the Org about "brainwashing" then. If you believe that is a power you have, it is a magnificent trade. I could understand the power you have to convince many here the many errors the organization is perceived to have without them seeing your own. I believe that is called, deflection.

I should consider you a prophet. I will make up my mind as time goes by, what kind of leader you will manifest to. I will keep that in mind.

On 9/16/2019 at 11:35 PM, Sean Migos said:

elementary doctrine of Christ

.... is this: Love God and Love People  as yourself! 

Clear and Simple.

All other theology is less important, or, in many cases (as it was presented) completely useless.

Did Jesus died on cross or stake, do you have or not have immortal soul, hell, idols, etc... loosing ALL meanings if you have No Love.

What if some day in the future God command people to make ... idols of something and to have it on the top of the refrigerator? Would that be "clarification, refinements" or else?  Laws and doctrines and theology is nothing, worth nothing .... in Comparison to Love - The Elementary Thing.

Well, all this what we discuss here and there about this and that subject, bring us little, on one hand. But on other hand bring us a lot, because discussion like this help us to see religious fraud.

Stay well! Wish you health and prosperity!