The World News Media

As a born-in black JW in the US, Watchtower tried to teach me to be ashamed of my natural body and black features. There would always be talks about how dreads, braids, and afros are dirty, unclean, and unprofessional. According to JWs, being seen with them out in the ministry would bring reproach on Jehovah or judgement from the householders (as if the householder wouldn't see my skin and still be racist if they so choose). In the Watchtower's eyes, just naturally the way our hair grows and is culturally handled is a sin apparently.

I noticed many black men that convert to Da Troof shave their heads. Before I finally escaped and became POMO, I remember a young dude who converted recently. He had a beautiful high top afro that must've taken so time and energy to grow! But afros are bad. So he shaved his hair off. My own father shaved his afro, and said he would never grow it because he doesn't see any other black men in the hall have afros.

Women are pressured into putting chemicals that can literally BURN the skin off their scalps, to be accepted by Jehoover. I only got a perm for a few months of my life, but it was excruciatingly painful. I had huge scabs and wounds all over my scalp. Racism that we face because of our hair is a broad problem in the US at large that's been getting better in recent years, but it just shows that the bORG isn't the racial sanctuary they try to say they are - despite their incredibly vile racist past.

Has anyone else noticed this or been faced this?

- faerykid

• Views 873
  • Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Obviously you do not know much about the Rastafarian movement.   They smoke pot and wear dreadlocks.  It has nothing to do with race but all about this "brand of religion" worn as a visible symbo

wow, so you do align with the view that Jack Ryan was describing.   Singling out someone and making assumptions based on looks.   Nice example of stereotyping! 

That's why SOME men used to like Hillary Clinton Pantsuits.

7 hours ago, Arauna said:

Obviously you do not know much about the Rastafarian movement.   They smoke pot and wear dreadlocks. 

It has nothing to do with race but all about this "brand of religion" worn as a visible symbol. 

wow, so you do align with the view that Jack Ryan was describing.

Singling out someone and making assumptions based on looks.

Nice example of stereotyping! 

Since “Blue Jay” has forgotten scripture John 17:16 in lieu of humanity, to be accepted by this world, it doesn’t matter what opinion this person now has in this forum. This person is nobody just like any opposer.

Maybe being as forthright about other religions might give you credence, Might!

Maybe you should try going to other Christian forums to have endless criticism of their church and see what happens. Hint, start with your own first. Does your church know you dishonor their church and Christ by going against scripture just to argue nonsense SHIWIII in this forum? Maybe your Pastor should know.

divergenceKO:

I think you are a windbag of Graf Zepplin proportions.

Why?

Because you accuse others of "going against scriptures" ... without EVER giving an example.

Actually, it is YOUR opinions that have no value, because without backup ... they are ONLY your opinions, which have even LESS than normal credence, because of your opinions that people that oppose YOUR viewpoint are "nobodys".

You may want to look up the term "Narcissistic Personality  Derangement" for some insight as to how you present yourself to everybody else.

Anybody that disagrees with me on this (except you, as your opinions are not worth considering), please speak up and defend divergenceKO from my observation.

Wow, how did my hairstyle become the discussion of you other guys. I never had the problems cited in the story at the beginning, nor did my father, who,wore his hair, u till it Breyer and he went bald. What organization do you belong to that asks that of you about your hair? I have never been approached about mine and I even went curls with all the juice.

4 hours ago, James Thomas Rook Jr. said:

Because you accuse others of "going against scriptures" ... without EVER giving an example.

I don't need to give an example, their actions and words along with yours is proof enough. If you're going to start to hound me like a leech and defend opposers, keep the long-winded comments up.

11 hours ago, Shiwiii said:

Singling out someone and making assumptions based on looks.

You do not know anything about them. I lived in Africa and this movement comes from Africa.

It has NOTHING to do with race but about the symbols of a false religion which smokes pot to be closer to God.......

So get clued up...... The above headline tries to make it about race but shows ignorance of this movement and its practices.

When I see ' white'  or black people with these hair styles (dreadlocks) I associate them with the Rasta movement...... and smoking pot.

12 hours ago, Arauna said:

When I see ' white'  or black people with these hair styles (dreadlocks) I associate them with the Rasta movement...... and smoking pot.

This right here is what I am talking about.

Arauna,

I'm sure you won't like this, but please don't take it and read into what I am saying. This subject between you and I, has nothing to do with religion or beliefs, but rather our human nature and ability to accept those who are different from us. A hair style is nothing but hair, it does not speak to character, it does not speak of beliefs........its just hair. Now I can understand your position and experience, however it doesn't make it absolute in every circumstance.  

When a person singles out others who have a different look and labels them in a derogatory way based only on looks, it is no different than straight racism based on the color of their skin.  Anyone can spin it this way and that, but those are the facts. 

1 hour ago, Shiwiii said:

This right here is what I am talking about.

Arauna,

I'm sure you won't like this, but please don't take it and read into what I am saying. This subject between you and I, has nothing to do with religion or beliefs, but rather our human nature and ability to accept those who are different from us. A hair style is nothing but hair, it does not speak to character, it does not speak of beliefs........its just hair. Now I can understand your position and experience, however it doesn't make it absolute in every circumstance.  

When a person singles out others who have a different look and labels them in a derogatory way based only on looks, it is no different than straight racism based on the color of their skin.  Anyone can spin it this way and that, but those are the facts. 

Now I kindly want you to understand the subject above. This is about JWs who cannot wear these hairstyles in field service...... and it is slyly called racism..... the new victim badge. 

I grew up in a country in Africa where marjuana grows on every street corner - wild just about everywhere.  People smoke it all the time....... but Rastas use it as part of the religious experience and wear the gear and the hairstyles to identify themselves.  They WANT to be identified as Rasta.

When I see a rasta I treat them no different than any other person even though I immediately recognize the visible signs (some people like the look and do not know what it represents).

I had a bible study who was a Rasta. .... so I do not see it as a race but as an alternative lifestyle choice.

To say that it is racist when a JW cannot wear this hairstyle in field service is misleading and untrue..... it has nothing to do with race but everything about projecting a lifestyle choice or another religion.

1 hour ago, Arauna said:

Now I kindly want you to understand the subject above. This is about JWs who cannot wear these hairstyles in field service...... and it is slyly called racism..... the new victim badge. 

I grew up in a country in Africa where marjuana grows on every street corner - wild just about everywhere.  People smoke it all the time....... but Rastas use it as part of the religious experience and wear the gear and the hairstyles to identify themselves.  They WANT to be identified as Rasta.

When I see a rasta I treat them no different than any other person even though I immediately recognize the visible signs (some people like the look and do not know what it represents).

I had a bible study who was a Rasta. .... so I do not see it as a race but as an alternative lifestyle choice.

To say that it is racist when a JW cannot wear this hairstyle in field service is misleading and untrue..... it has nothing to do with race but everything about projecting a lifestyle choice or another religion.

You did say if someone has dreadlocks, you treat them differently. You can say that you're not racist and once had a study...blah...blah...blah, but the fact of the matter is you know you treat people different based on appearances.  

Nice witness to those on this board.  

23 hours ago, Shiwiii said:

h...blah...blah, but the fact of the matter is you know you treat people different based on appearances.  

Most people notice appearance. Ever looked for a job as a truck driver?  No job if you look like a pot smoker..... Get real.   

When on field service we want to look  decent and clean cut so as to not bring reproach on Jehovah.  No Rasta T-shirts, dreadlocks to create impression that you smoke pot for religious experiences.   Nothing to do with race - but appearance does matter. 

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.