Jump to content

Anna

Are Jehovah’s Witnesses “Too Dogmatic”?

Topic Summary

Created

Last Reply

Replies

Views

Anna -
BlahBlahWoofWoof! -
14
216

Top Posters


Recommended Posts

27 minutes ago, AlanF said:

My favorite example of such mealy mouthed deception is from the Proclaimers book (p. 163). Speaking about what Rutherford and company taught in the decade after 1914, it said:

<< As the years passed and they examined and reexamined the Scriptures, their faith in the prophecies remained strong, and they did not hold back from stating what they expected to occur. With varying degrees of success, they endeavored to avoid being dogmatic about details not directly stated in the Scriptures. >

It might sound mealy mouthed, but it's hardly deception.

They tried hard not to be dogmatic, but they didn’t always succeed. Sometimes they did well and were not dogmatic, and sometimes they didn’t do well, and were dogmatic.

I believe they endeavored to avoid being dogmatic. But obviously didn't always succeed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Anna said:

I am aware that our mothers would say we would never go to school, that Armageddon would be here by then.

She had not been alone in that reasoning. My wife' mother gave same lesson to her ;))) Imagine how many miles Croatia and your country have distance, but The Same Teaching moves around heads of JW's. Tell me someone, please, how is possible that some individual in USA start to make gossips about 1975 and how that wrong idea ended in one little town in one communist Balkan state ???  :)))))

Have in mind how we talking about generation borne in 1961. In 1968/69 they start to go to Grammar school. Here we have 8 years (you have 10) of this school. And 1975 is so close .... There is no chance to finish school before 1975 Armagedon :)))))

Definition of dogmatism

1: the expression of an opinion or belief as if it were a fact : positiveness in assertion of opinion especially when unwarranted or arrogant
2: a viewpoint or system of ideas based on insufficiently examined premises
Merriam Webster source
 
stating your opinions in a strong way and not accepting anyone else's opinions:
Cambridge source
 
Every ideology we facing is dogmatic !! 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Anna said:

It might sound mealy mouthed, but it's hardly deception.

They tried hard not to be dogmatic, but they didn’t always succeed. Sometimes they did well and were not dogmatic, and sometimes they didn’t do well, and were dogmatic.

I believe they endeavored to avoid being dogmatic. But obviously didn't always succeed.

Kind of like "he endeavored to avoid being dead". But he didn't always succeed.

You are what you are until you're not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AlanF said:
18 hours ago, Anna said:

It might sound mealy mouthed, but it's hardly deception.

They tried hard not to be dogmatic, but they didn’t always succeed. Sometimes they did well and were not dogmatic, and sometimes they didn’t do well, and were dogmatic.

I believe they endeavored to avoid being dogmatic. But obviously didn't always succeed.

Kind of like "he endeavored to avoid being dead". But he didn't always succeed.

You are what you are until you're not.

I don't think so, more like "some people just can't help themselves"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Anna said:

I don't think so, more like "some people just can't help themselves"

I agree that some people can't help themselves when it comes to lying. The Watchtower Writing Staff in particular.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, BlahBlahWoofWoof! said:

Can we say Jesus was dogmatic? Does anyone have an answer about Jesus and the apostles?

Dogmatism: "the tendency to lay down principles as incontrovertibly true, without consideration of evidence or the opinions of others". So I think Jesus had the right to be dogmatic because he had authority from God to lay down principles, and he didn't need to consider evidence or opinions of others for the same reason. However, in areas that didn't demand it, he did consider others, and at no time was he arrogant and haughty. Arrogance and haughtiness are negative synonyms of being dogmatic. Same goes for the apostles, but of course since they were imperfect, they didn't succeed as Jesus did. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Forum Statistics

    61,690
    Total Topics
    114,622
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

    16,512
    Total Members
    1,592
    Most Online
    pastel
    Newest Member
    pastel
    Joined




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.