The World News Media

WT: Harmful effects from character development

Kosonen

Some years ago we studied at the meetings the book Jehovah's witnesses - Proclaimers of God's Kingdom and were taught that developing a Christlike character is not so important as preaching. I don't know if you took it that way. But at least I got that impression, and believed it. And thus I continued to focus on preaching and theocratic activities instead of character development. Or in other words to put on the new personality. 

Here is a quote from that publication, page 292:

"The article “Character or Covenant—Which?” in The Watch Tower of May 1, 1926, is a striking example. It frankly considered the harmful effects from what was called character development and then stressed the importance of fulfilling one’s obligations to God by actions."

On page 172-173 we find additional thoughts on that:

"Although they started with sound Scriptural counsel about the need to be Christlike, the emphasis that some of the early Bible Students gave to “character development,” as they called it, tended to minimize certain aspects of real Christianity. Some of them seemed to be of the opinion that being genteel—always appearing to be kind and good, speaking softly, avoiding any display of anger, reading the Scriptures daily—would guarantee their entrance into heaven. But these lost sight of the fact that Christ had given his followers a work to do.

This problem was firmly addressed in the article “Character or Covenant—Which?” in the May 1, 1926, issue of The Watch Tower.* It showed that efforts to develop a “perfect character” while in the flesh caused some to give up in discouragement, but at the same time, it produced a “more holy than thou” attitude in others and tended to cause them to lose sight of the merit of Christ’s sacrifice. After emphasizing faith in the shed blood of Christ, the article highlighted the importance of ‘doing things’ in the active service of God to give evidence that one was pursuing a course pleasing to God."(End of quote)

That seem to still be the priorities WT organization holds to. At the meetings every week there are a lot of programs encouraging to witness more. As if it really was needed after years of repeated visits to the same house holders. 

Many JWs wonder if it is really needed? To repeatedly check out if uninterested people had changed their minds? 

I don't find scriptural basis for that in the Christian Greek scriptures. Instead I find so much scriptural basis for "character development" in the Christian Greek scriptures.

Let's examine what really is God's will. I invite you to post scriptures showing what really is God's will.

• Views 307
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

At some point over the years they got both character development and the need to be zealous out of balance, emphasing one to the detriment of the other, whereas the scriptures clearly show we need the

At some point over the years they got both character development and the need to be zealous out of balance, emphasing one to the detriment of the other, whereas the scriptures clearly show we need them both. Jesus was zealous and he was gentle.  Zeal for God' house "ate him up".

(John 2:16, 17) 16 And he said to those selling the doves: “Take these things away from here! Stop making the house of my Father a house of commerce!” 17 His disciples recalled that it is written: “The zeal for your house will consume me.”

This scripture shows he was gentle and considerate. We know hundreds of other instances where he showed gentleness,  consideration and deep love for people. For example when he healed the death man, when he healed the woman with the flow of blood, and he said he felt love for the righteous man who wanted to know what else he had to do to please God.

(Matthew 12:18-21) 18 “Look! My servant whom I chose, my beloved, whom I have approved! I will put my spirit upon him, and what justice is he will make clear to the nations. 19 He will not quarrel nor cry aloud, nor will anyone hear his voice in the main streets. 20 No bruised reed will he crush, and no smoldering wick will he extinguish, until he brings justice with success. 21 Indeed, in his name nations will hope.”
** w99 7/1 p. 5 How Can Jesus Change Your Life? ***
Not only did Jesus teach profound truths about how to show love but he also practiced what he taught. For example, he put the interests of others ahead of his own. One day Jesus and his disciples were so busy helping people that they had no time even to eat a meal. Jesus saw the need for his disciples to rest up a bit, and he took them to a lonely place. But when they got there, they found a crowd waiting for them. How would you have responded upon seeing a crowd who expected you to work when you felt that you needed a little break? Well, Jesus “was moved with pity for them” and “started to teach them many things.” (Mark 6:34) This concern for others always moved Jesus to assist them.

That is the spirit that moves us to go to our Bible studies even when something special comes up that we want to do.  We must work with the angels and assist those who need the good news.

Paul, the best example of a person who followed Jesus in an exemplary way and was used by Jesus to write instructions for us, said he was completely spent in doing God's will. We was not wishy washy.

(Philippians 2:17) 17 However, even if I am being poured out like a drink offering on the sacrifice and the holy service to which your faith has led you, I am glad and I rejoice with all of you. 

Read Romans 14 and see he had a good conscience in everything. Numerous other scriptures show his parent-like qualities, e.g. like a nursing mother, etc.  These qualities are easy to find throughout his letters. The fact that he was beloved by the brothers shows he had a beautiful Christ-like personality (nevermind that false brothers were jealous and lied about it).

It is all easy to understand and research.

An old WT article tells what brothers were focusing on in Charles Taze Russell's times. Here is a quote from WT online library, quoting wt 54, p. 658-659: 

"In those former years the subject of the development of the “fruits and graces of the spirit,” as it was generally called, was given much attention. With Galatians 5:22, 23 as a basis, it was a favorite theme chosen for many talks, often in the form of a symposium. Invariably, however, the line taken was to show how each individual must cultivate within himself along the lines of “character development” the various qualities detailed by the apostle."

I agree this is important for Christians. How else will there be peace and love in the congregations and in Christian families? And this is especially important for anointed because the Bible says they have to be very pure in order to be accepted to God's heavenly kingdom. Here are some of the multitude of scriptures pointing out what is bad character. And it is nice to see the same message in different Bible books. Here are of course not all of them. So I invite everyone to add more scriptures to this topic about what are unacceptable personality traits and what is a Christ-like personality. To read the following scriptures in this post might take 10 minutes. 

James 1:26 If any man thinks he is a worshipper of God but does not keep a tight rein on his tongue, he is deceiving his own heart, and his worship is futile.

James 1: 19  Know this, my beloved brothers: Everyone must be quick to listen, slow to speak,+ slow to anger,+ 20  for man’s anger does not bring about God’s righteousness.+ 21 Therefore, put away all filthiness and every trace of badness,*+ and accept with mildness the implanting of the word that is able to save you.

James 2:5  So, too, the tongue is a small part of the body, and yet it makes great brags. See how small a fire it takes to set a great forest ablaze! 6  The tongue is also a fire.+ The tongue represents a world of unrighteousness among our body members, for it defiles all the body+ and sets the whole course of life* on fire, and it is set on fire by Ge·henʹna.* 7  For every kind of wild animal and bird and reptile* and sea creature is to be tamed and has been tamed by humans. 8 But no human can tame the tongue. It is unruly and injurious, full of deadly poison.+ 9 With it we praise Jehovah,* the Father, and yet with it we curse men who have come into existence “in the likeness of God.”+ 10  Out of the same mouth come blessing and cursing.My brothers, it is not right for things to happen this way.+ 11  A spring does not cause the fresh* water and the bitter water to bubble out of the same opening, does it? 12  My brothers, a fig tree cannot produce olives, or a grapevine figs, can it?+ Neither can salt water produce fresh water.

13  Who is wise and understanding among you? Let him by his fine conduct demonstrate works performed with a mildness that comes from wisdom. 14  But if you have bitter jealousy and contentiousness* in your hearts, do not be bragging and lying against the truth. 15 This is not the wisdom that comes down from above; it is earthly,+ animalistic, demonic. 16  For wherever there are jealousy and contentiousness,* there will also be disorder and every vile thing.

James 4:11 Stop speaking against [speak negatively about] one another, brothers.+ Whoever speaks against a brother or judges his brother speaks against law and judges law.

James 5:9  Do not grumble* against one another, brothers, so that you do not get judged.+ Look! The Judge is standing before the doors

Titus 3:2  to speak injuriously of no one, not to be quarrelsome, but to be reasonable,+ displaying all mildness toward all men.

Titus 3:9 But have nothing to do with foolish arguments and genealogies and disputes and fights over the Law, for they are unprofitable and futile.

2 Timothy 2:23 Further, reject foolish and ignorant debates, knowing that they produce fights. 24  For a slave of the Lord does not need to fight, but needs to be gentle* toward all, qualified to teach, showing restraint when wronged, 25  instructing with mildness those not favorably disposed.

Hebrews 12:14 Pursue peace with all people and the sanctification without which no man will see the Lord.

Galatians 4:19 Now the works of the flesh are plainly seen, and they are sexual immorality,*+ uncleanness, brazen conduct,*+ 20  idolatry, spiritism,*+ hostility, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, dissensions, divisions, sects, 21 envy, drunkenness,+ wild parties,* and things like these.+ I am forewarning you about these things, the same way I already warned you, that those who practice such things will not inherit God’s Kingdom…..26 Let us not become egotistical,+ stirring up competition with one another,+ envying one another.

Ephesians 5:17  So this is what I say and bear witness to in the Lord, that you should no longer go on walking just as the nations also walk,+ in the futility* of their minds.+ 18  They are in darkness mentally and alienated from the life that belongs to God, because of the ignorance that is in them, because of the insensitivity* of their hearts. 19  Having gone past all moral sense, they gave themselves over to brazen conduct*+ to practice every sort of uncleanness with greediness.20  But you did not learn the Christ to be like this, 21  if, indeed, you heard him and were taught by means of him, just as truth is in Jesus. 22  You were taught to put away the old personality+ that conforms to your former course of conduct and that is being corrupted according to its deceptive desires.+ 23  And you should continue to be made new in your dominant mental attitude,*+ 24 and should put on the new personality+ that was created according to God’s will in true righteousness and loyalty.

25  Therefore, now that you have put away deceit, each one of you speak truth with his neighbor,+ because we are members belonging to one another.+ 26  Be wrathful, but do not sin;+ do not let the sun set while you are still angry;+ 27 do not give the Devil an opportunity.*+ 28 Let the one who steals steal no more; rather, let him do hard work, doing good work with his hands,+ so that he may have something to share with someone in need.+ 29  Let a rotten word not come out of your mouth,+ but only what is good for building up as the need may be, to impart what is beneficial to the hearers.+ 30 Also, do not be grieving* God’s holy spirit,+ with which you have been sealed+ for a day of releasing by ransom.+

31  Put away from yourselves every kind of malicious bitterness,+ anger, wrath, screaming, and abusive speech,+ as well as everything injurious.+ 32  But become kind to one another, tenderly compassionate,+ freely forgiving one another just as God also by Christ freely forgave you.

Ephesians 5:1 Therefore, become imitators of God,+ as beloved children, 2  and go on walking in love,+ just as the Christ also loved us*+ and gave himself for us* as an offering and a sacrifice, a sweet fragrance to God.+3  Let sexual immorality* and every sort of uncleanness or greediness not even be mentioned among you,+ just as is proper for holy people;+ 4  neither shameful conduct nor foolish talking nor obscene jesting—things that are not befitting—but rather the giving of thanks.+ 5 For you know this, recognizing it for yourselves, that no sexually immoral person*+ or unclean person or greedy person,+ which means being an idolater, has any inheritance in the Kingdom of the Christ and of God.+

6  Let no man deceive you with empty words, for because of such things the wrath of God is coming upon the sons of disobedience.

Philippians 1:9 And this is what I continue praying, that your love may abound still more and more+ with accurate knowledge+ and full discernment;+ 10  that you may make sure of the more important things,+ so that you may be flawless and not stumbling others+ up to the day of Christ; 11 and that you may be filled with righteous fruit, which is through Jesus Christ,+ to God’s glory and praise.

Colossians 1:21 Indeed, you who were once alienated and enemies because your minds were on the works that were wicked, 22  he has now reconciled by means of that one’s fleshly body through his death, in order to present you holy and unblemished and open to no accusation before him+—.......28 He is the one we are proclaiming, admonishing everyone and teaching everyone in all wisdom, so that we may present every person complete in union with Christ.

Colossians 3:1 Deaden, therefore, your body members+ that are on the earth as respects sexual immorality,* uncleanness, uncontrolled sexual passion,+ hurtful desire, and greediness, which is idolatry. 6  On account of those things the wrath of God is coming. 7 That is how you too used to conduct yourselves* in your former way of life.*+ 8 But now you must put them all away from you: wrath, anger, badness,+ abusive speech,+ and obscene talk+ out of your mouth. 9  Do not lie to one another.+ Strip off the old personality*+ with its practices, 10 and clothe yourselves with the new personality,+ which through accurate knowledge is being made new according to the image of the One who created it,+ 11 where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcision nor uncircumcision, foreigner, Scythʹi·an,* slave, or freeman; but Christ is all things and in all.+12  Accordingly, as God’s chosen ones,+ holy and loved, clothe yourselves with the tender affections of compassion,+ kindness, humility,*+ mildness,+ and patience.+ 13  Continue putting up with one another and forgiving one another freely+ even if anyone has a cause for complaint against another.+ Just as Jehovah* freely forgave you, you must also do the same.+ 14  But besides all these things, clothe yourselves with love,+ for it is a perfect bond of union.+

15  Also, let the peace of the Christ rule in your hearts,*+ for you were called to that peace in one body. And show yourselves thankful. 16  Let the word of the Christ reside in you richly in all wisdom…..

As conclusion to these scriptures we can agree that putting on the new Christ-like personality is very important part of serving God. 

James 1:26 If any man thinks he is a worshipper of God but does not keep a tight rein on his tongue, he is deceiving his own heart, and his worship is futile.

As I stated above, I welcome everyone to add more similar scriptures to this topic. This will help us to put on the new personality. I think the more scriptures we read about that, the greater will be the impact from God's word.

Dear brothers and sisiters. This week I have continued to read the Christian Greek scriptures and I have taken note of many important scriptures. And I become more and more aware of the importance of becoming a good person, to become holy. And that should naturally be most urgent for the anointed who must in a few years from now become worthy of being taken to heaven. Here I have gathered several scriptures saying that. 

Colossians 1:22 he has now reconciled by means of that one’s fleshly body through his death, in order to present you holy and unblemished and open to no accusation before him+—…..26......But now it has been revealed to his holy ones,+27 to whom God has been pleased to make known among the nations the glorious riches of this sacred secret,+ which is Christ in union with you, the hope of his glory.+ 28  He is the one we are proclaiming, admonishing everyone and teaching everyone in all wisdom, so that we may present every person complete in union with Christ.+ 29  To this end I am indeed working hard, exerting myself with his strength that is operating powerfully within me.

Philippians 1:6 For I am confident of this very thing, that the one who started a good work in you will bring it to completion+ until the day of Christ Jesus.

Philippians 1:9 And this is what I continue praying, that your love may abound still more and more+ with accurate knowledge+ and full discernment;+ 10  that you may make sure of the more important things,+ so that you may be flawless and not stumbling others+ up to the day of Christ;  

Philippians 2:15 so that you may come to be blameless and innocent, children of God+ without a blemish in the midst of a crooked and twisted generation,+ among whom you are shining as illuminators in the world,+ 16  keeping a tight grip on the word of life.+ Then I may have reason for rejoicing in Christ’s day.

1 Thessalonians 5: 23  May the God of peace himself sanctify you completely. And may the spirit and soul* and body of you brothers, sound in every respect, be preserved blameless at the presence of our Lord Jesus Christ.+  

1 Thessalonians 3: 12 Moreover, may the Lord cause you to increase, yes, to abound in love for one another+ and for all, just as we do for you, 13  so that he may make your hearts firm, blameless in holiness before our God+ and Father at the presence of our Lord Jesus+ with all his holy ones.

2 Peter 3:14 Therefore, beloved ones, since you are awaiting these things, do your utmost to be found finally by him spotless and unblemished and in peace.

Hebrews 12:14 Pursue peace with all people and the sanctification without which no man will see the Lord. 

Philippians 3: 12  Not that I have already received it or am already made perfect, but I am pressing on+ to see if I may also lay hold on that for which Christ Jesus selected me.*+ 13  Brothers, I do not yet consider myself as having taken hold of it; but one thing is certain: Forgetting the things behind+ and stretching forward to the things ahead,+ 14  I am pressing on toward the goal for the prize+ of the upward call+ of God by means of Christ Jesus. 15 Therefore, let those of us who are mature+ be of this mental attitude, and if you are mentally inclined otherwise in any respect, God will reveal the above attitude to you.