The World News Media

Jehovah’s Witnesses Sue FaithLeaks Owners Over Convention Videos

Isabella

April 30, 2020, 2:12 PM

COURT: S.D.N.Y.

TRACK DOCKET: No. 1:20-cv-03366 (Bloomberg Law Subscription)

An entity owned by the Jehovah’s Witnesses sued the owners of the religious whistleblower site FaithLeaks on Thursday for allegedly infringing copyrights by posting the group’s materials publicly on the internet.

The Watch Tower Bible & Tract Society of Pennsylvania says the Truth & Transparency Foundation illegally reproduced 74 of its in-house videos on the FaithLeaks site.

FaithLeaks’ website says it is a “religious document archival project” that collects documents from whistleblowers in religious communities. It has published internal Watch Tower documents concerning the Jehovah’s Witnesses’ handling of sexual abuse claims and personal data.

https://news.bloomberglaw.com/us-law-week/jehovahs-witnesses-sue-faithleaks-owners-over-convention-videos

• Views 3.5k
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would be stunned if the WTB&TS, et al, was successful in their lawsuits, as in the United States the concept of "whistleblowers" is held in very high regard, and the "Fair Use Doctrine" of U.S.

Matthew 5 v 38 through 42  “You heard that it was said: ‘Eye for eye and tooth for tooth.’ 39  However, I say to you: Do not resist the one who is wicked, but whoever slaps you on your right chee

As individuals they are accountable not as a group. If one of them breaks Jehovahs laws they will appoint a committee. 

Posted Images

I would be stunned if the WTB&TS, et al, was successful in their lawsuits, as in the United States the concept of "whistleblowers" is held in very high regard, and the "Fair Use Doctrine" of U.S. copyright law is interpreted very liberally.

There is a lot to be said and considered on this matter, and an excellent source is WIKIPEDIA.

.... want to be smarter and well informed on this specific issue?

Read THIS:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use

I personally think we should be proud of every thing we say and do, and not object if someone else shouts it from the housetops.

If we SHOULD be ashamed of anything we have published, and the "Pillowgate" videos immediately come to mind, it is ONLY by public disclosure that whatever it is, that it will ever change.

Sometime  around the 1960's, at Assemblies, we used to have a Public Relations Department set up, but they changed the name to News Service, because PR was asking for something, and NS was giving away something for free.

Their lawsuit will generate more publicity by a factor of at least X 100, than ever existed before ... and when all is said and done, and if the WTB&TS wins the lawsuits ( improbable at best ..) it will NOT stop Brothers from leaking these videos to others, or them publishing them, actually IN the public interest, to anybody who has a computer and a piece of free software, such as "Freemake Video Downloader:.

That genie left the bottle a long time ago.

On 5/1/2020 at 8:02 AM, James Thomas Rook Jr. said:

concept of "whistleblowers" is held in very high regard, and the "Fair Use Doctrine" of U.S. copyright law is interpreted very liberally.

If you stand for LGBTQ or belong to the right groups your rights are protected. If not...... you can forget to see justice.  The justice system has been corrupted. 

I know of many scientists lives that were ruined because they were persecuted for whistleblowing on the tech and pharma industrial complex.

True whistle blowers today have to run for their lives. Such as the cop who fled to Russia after investigating child trafficking in Florida.  Whistleblowers who do research on viruses and vaccinations ...... the list goes on and on. 

Matthew 5 v 38 through 42

“You heard that it was said: ‘Eye for eye and tooth for tooth.’ 39  However, I say to you: Do not resist the one who is wicked, but whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other also to him. 40  And if a person wants to take you to court and get possession of your inner garment, let him also have your outer garment;c 41  and if someone in authority compels you into service for a mile, go with him two miles. 42  Give to the one asking you, and do not turn away from one who wants to borrow from you.

The GB and their Lawyers do not understand the spiritual things from God. 

It also seems they are ashamed of their own videos. 

6 hours ago, Arauna said:

You think you do. 

I'm not a group of dictators making up rules to suit my own purpose and misleading millions of innocent people. I am only responsible for myself. 

Whereas your GB pretend to the F&DS and therefore take great responsibility upon themselves, whilst suppressing the rest of the Anointed ones. But what they offer is not true spiritual wisdom and they do not follow the instructions from Christ. 

On 5/7/2020 at 11:03 PM, 4Jah2me said:

not a group of dictators making

As I told you before, you do not acknowledge your ignorance regarding 'dictators'  because you bandy that word around as though it is ice-cream. 

Soon you will know what true dictators are.... the way the world is going now.... and you will long for the freedom you had before.  

dictator

noun
  1. a ruler with total power over a country, typically one who has obtained control by force.
      • a person who behaves in an autocratic way.
      • (in ancient Rome) a chief magistrate with absolute power, appointed in an emergency.

autocratic

adjective
    1. relating to a ruler who has absolute power.
      "the constitutional reforms threatened his autocratic power"
      • taking no account of other people's wishes or opinions; domineering.
        "a man with a reputation for an autocratic management style"

I think this describes your Governing Body very well 

20 hours ago, 4Jah2me said:

one who has obtained control by force.

Exactly- that is a dictator.

20 hours ago, 4Jah2me said:

has absolute power.

Absolute power - like the CCP in China or North Korea.

That is why I say you have no clue what it is like to live under such regimes because your personal choice is taken away from you.  Soon you will know what it means when you have no choices at all, what you eat, what you buy, what you drink, what you say,  and what you do is controlled by the state. 

Well Tom and James seem to think your GB cannot be removed or fired, so it would seem that your GB have absolute power over the CCJW and Watchtower soc. 

Your GB also say that God and Christ trusts the GB, so all of you JWs should trust your GB. 

And it is known that if anyone disagrees with the GB on anything that they will be d/fed for 'causing a division in the congregation', and that will be carried out by the congregation police known as Elders. 

Add to that the point of the GB telling the Anointed not to make themselves known and not to gather together and not to have Bible study together. 

So there is a form of dictatorship within the CCJW. 

Your outlook seems a bit bleak considering the scriptures say that 'just as it was in the days of Noah ... etc'  people eating and drinking and going about daily life, when the end comes.