The World News Media

From 'COVID Toes' to Hives, These Are the Skin Conditions Dermatologists Think Could Be Signs of Coronavirus

Isabella

Dermatologists around the world are gathering data on what may be largely overlooked symptoms of COVID-19: skin conditions ranging from rashes to “pseudo-frostbite.”

Many viral illnesses—including chickenpox, measles and mononucleosis—are accompanied by telltale skin rashes, often a result of the body’s heightened inflammatory response while fighting off infection. Though more research is needed, a growing number of case reports and preliminary studies suggest SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, can also affect the skin.

In late March, an Italian physician submitted a letter to the editor of the Journal of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology, describing skin conditions that affected about 20% of 88 COVID-19 patients analyzed in the Lombardy region of Italy. Most of them developed a red rash on their torsos, while a few suffered hives or blisters resembling chickenpox. Then, in early April, a dermatology organization representing more than 400 French dermatologists issued a statement noting that among probable COVID-19 patients they had seen skin symptoms including hives, red rashes and frostbite-like lesions on the extremities. And finally, in mid-April, in a letter to the editor of the Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, a group of Italian physicians described a chickenpox-like rash as “a rare but specific COVID-19-associated skin manifestation.”

https://time.com/5827912/coronavirus-skin-rashes/

• Views 672
  • Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dermatologists around the world are gathering data on what may be largely overlooked symptoms of COVID-19: skin conditions ranging from rashes to “pseudo-frostbite.” Many viral illnesses—includin

I have a clear skin but got skin patches and even herpes simplex on the lip..... something I only had only once before in my life. I agree with the article. 

I do not know if it was the medication I took or not.....  Those chicken pox rashes mentioned in your article above could also mimic shingles.  It seems the corona virus may mimic  the herpes infections you have had before in your life.

I think the HIV piece of information (a herpes piece of info) on the SARS 2 (corona19) may be responsible for it (my hypothesis).  Watch out!  This virus latches onto the T-cells and breaks down your immune system.  It could hide there (similar to any herpes virus) and wait until your immunity is weak and come out again.

I got the same illness twice.... so be warned.......