The World News Media

https://studios.vidangel.com/the-chosen

I don't watch television and I'm quite choosy as to films that I will watch, but when it comes to the 'Life of Christ Jesus' I am quite keen to watch films and programmes of interest. 

I have just finished watching Series One of ' The Chosen'. It is about the Life of Jesus from before He made Himself know to the 'public at large'. 

Of course it uses a lot of 'artistic licence' and lots of things in it are not facts, but I find it helpful to see the type of lifestyle the Jews lived and to see Jesus and His followers as real people. 

I don't know if your 'Leaders' will tell you not to watch it, but i found it relaxing and a pleasure to watch. I particularly liked Nicodemus and his meeting with Jesus, the questions asked and answered. 

I don't think any of you would find it offensive but of course you will note many faults in it, as i did. However, in my opinion it is far better to watch this than watch most other films of our time. 

• Views 1.3k
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://studios.vidangel.com/the-chosen I don't watch television and I'm quite choosy as to films that I will watch, but when it comes to the 'Life of Christ Jesus' I am quite keen to watch films

The Chosen isn't supposed to be correct to scripture. But you know that anyway. I wonder if this is just yet another dig at me.  Such a shame.  It is about the lives of the Jewish people at that

Good thoughts, @4Jah2me. I eventually watched the whole season, enjoying every minute of it.

On 5/6/2020 at 4:11 PM, 4Jah2me said:

I can't remember. Was that the film only available in a foreign language with subtitles ? 

They have the film in English, for me I own and had seen in both English and French. Now this particular film is often used when it comes to research regarding specific Bible versions, and it is used a lot in the alleged "war" going on within Christianity.

That being said, it is also worth mentioning that there are some films out there that promote a mis-truth about Jesus, mainly anything in relation to narratives known as spurious being true, which is why some Christians are very careful and or selective of what film they watch, especially when it has anything to do with the Bible, i.e. being a disrespect and or lacking Bible accuracy by a huge percentage.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a couple of concerns with The Chosen after analyzing episode one.

[1] Regarding Nicodemus - When he went to deal with the woman, known as Mary of Magdala, he quoted a apocalyptic text and or made mention to it. That is a whole lot of detail for another day on it's own, and a fish way too big to fry, therefore, a pan must be ordered from Amazon.

[2] Regarding Mary Magdalene - Before her so called reveal, she was dubbed the name "Lilith". This name pertains to the mythical Gnostic beliefs about Lilith, a demonic figure in the Genesis Act of Creation whereas some view this person has Adam's first wife prior to Eve (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lilith). I believe this was her given name granted that she was possessed by demons, but still.... Would it not make sense to not give Mary this name, despite her situation and perhaps do not reveal who she is until the name? But instead, they kept this name and connected it with the reveal. We know of her history, but to dub her that name was kind of out of the blue. Some would point to Isaiah 34:14, which reads:

And wild animals shall meet with hyenas; the wild goat shall cry to his fellow; indeed, there the night bird [or identity uncertain] settles and finds for herself a resting place.

However the misconception of translation results in the use of demon, and or Satyrs (something of which I and an assist from JTR Rook, refuted Cos on regarding the KJV as is with explaining the findings to Tom), which are mythological humanoid creatures with goat leg/feet and their upper bodies being normal human. Other times, the term for Lilith is tied to a Succubus, which is also a mythological demonic figure. The truth of the matter is that the Prophecy of Prophet Isaiah continues to foretell that the populace of Edom will evidently be  wiped away and replaced by wild animals, in the coming desolation. Although we are talking about goats here, some people would think otherwise, or some shaggy looking goats. A bit off topic, even in some cultures whereas some of the people do partake in demonic practices, I should know because it is true in for some of my people, they have something quite similar to Satyrs. Moreover, the inclusion of this name, well, from what I've seen results in people thinking that this was indeed Mary's name prior, that percentage has little Biblical Knowledge and the other side are skeptical, on the fence, and or confused as to why she is called that. Then you have the movie junkies out there that say it is to add mystery.

Although there is more items from the first episode, I will simply leave it at these two things. My only hope is that they do not include TAW, which most Hollywood movies regarding Jesus have done thus far, because that passage is a spurious one, but people seem to think it is true when 267+ ms says otherwise.

That being said, there was indeed a VERY CLEAR disclaimer at the very beginning stating that the series isn’t word-for-word and it’s no replacement for reading one's Bible, in fact, it encourages to read the Bible, however, the onlooker can still get confused, then again, there are some who are confused. We should be willingly to explain credible biblical history, should there be a call for it.

But alas, tis be only episode 1. In a sense, if I may call it as such, it is as if the Bible was taken and made into some separate continuity of it's own likewise to that of the notion used quite a lot for a DC or Marvel comic, as is with a re-imagining.

The Chosen isn't supposed to be correct to scripture. But you know that anyway. I wonder if this is just yet another dig at me. :) Such a shame. 

It is about the lives of the Jewish people at that time.  

I've watched the first Series and I think it is very good. I don't want to watch Jesus being killed, i want to watch Jesus when He lived. And to see his disciples and how they interacted. 

It is totally way off from the Bible. But well worth viewing. Why ? Because whilst you are watching it your mind is concentrating on Jesus, His disciples, the Jewish way of life, the 'nasty' Romans, and the general feel of what it would have been like. 

It's a shame some folks have to dissect it. I get the sense that such ones must be rather unhappy in their lives. 

7 hours ago, 4Jah2me said:

The Chosen isn't supposed to be correct to scripture. But you know that anyway. I wonder if this is just yet another dig at me. :) Such a shame. 

No, you had shown the material to the community to take a look at it, this is not about you, if you unless you want it to be. I bring this up because after watching there was a discussion elsewhere. Others believed that the non Bible canons are TRUE, this is the reason I stated the following

19 hours ago, Space Merchant said:

Moreover, the inclusion of this name, well, from what I've seen results in people thinking that this was indeed Mary's name prior, that percentage has little Biblical Knowledge and the other side are skeptical, on the fence, and or confused as to why she is called that. Then you have the movie junkies out there that say it is to add mystery.

So, for any onlooker, they believe this to be true despite the disclaimer. On the other side of the spectrum, you'd have to deal with the Gnostics, for debates with them is but of that of a rabbit hole. But to quote one of the viewers "Lilith will most likely be be an empowering biblical hero" For you and I, as well as Witness, we are aware of who Mary is, clearly compared to the latter, we are not the confused type, and or among Gnostics, but I am not sure if anyone here understands Gnosticism.

It is about the lives of the Jewish people at that time.

I can see that, I am not aware of Judaism, but from the view of Jews, they are not happy about Non-Canons, in fact, so the fact that the angels of Enoch were mentioned, save for one, it as caused some thought, even to the viewers who are aware of the gospel of John.

I've watched the first Series and I think it is very good. I don't want to watch Jesus being killed, i want to watch Jesus when He lived. And to see his disciples and how they interacted. 

Indeed, but as long as you understand the actual history, you can be among those to convey truth to the misguided and or confused onlooker. As grime as it is, especially when the description from Hebrews was in more detail, that is of what happen to our Lord and Christ and what happen after that.

It is totally way off from the Bible. But well worth viewing.

Well that is why I mentioned the disclaimer, wherever this series is mentioned, not only in the series, but also by others who has read the Bible, they always point out the disclaimer.

Because whilst you are watching it your mind is concentrating on Jesus, His disciples, the Jewish way of life, the 'nasty' Romans, and the general feel of what it would have been like. 

True, but the little things added, we need to be careful of, we must do the research if need be. This was the case I have with other films regarding Jesus when the movies included TAW, whereas TAW isn't Bible canon, to the point it was omitted from majority of Bible Translations.

It's a shame some folks have to dissect it. I get the sense that such ones must be rather unhappy in their lives. 

No one is unhappy, however, elsewhere when some Bible readers had to convey, we had a run in with Gnostics, which was not fun for some people.

Some comments, this is primarily from those who read the gospel of John,and or the Greek text.

That said, there is always a positive and a negative. In my case, it is good, but should someone think something not true and true, it us up to us, the readers of God's Word, to explain the Scriptures.

[1] Shame on CBN for condoning a series that adds to scripture and omits important things also. It doesn’t matter if you wanna call it “artistic license” or that this is for “entertainment”. Jesus doesn’t want the message of the word of God (the gospel) used for those purposes. He is the son of God and was crucified! Nothing about that is to entertain or produce art! This series has added and subtracted to Gods word and that is ANTI CHRIST! It’s heretic and blasphemy. Satan is very deceptive and will use even what happened to Jesus to deceive people. GOD WILL JUDGE THESE PEOPLE! Some of these actors are not even believers! God says what does light have to do with darkness? NOTHING!

[2] Second commandment issues aside, can a movie, even a good one, give us a better representation of Jesus, His ministry, His life, death and resurrection than Scripture do? I understand the human want and need to visualize events, but God has charged us to spread the Gospel through the simple means of Grace. We don’t need movies, we only need the Word, water, bread and wine.

[3] Is it Bible based? Yes, very much so. There is fictionalization aspects as I said in my review. They give personalities backstories to Matthew, Peter and Thomas that are not in the Bible. But they do it consistently with what we do know - Peter’s temperament is fiery, for example - to tell the story. Where the Bible does cover the conversation they go generally word for word. The Woman at the Well conversation covers the entire encounter - though they do add in some things but again consistent with character and often to explain theology. So it tells the message of the Gospel clearly and consistent with the text but then colors in the stories.

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.