The World News Media

Different Bible translation ?

I am wondering if anyone would have a suggestion of a good / different Bible translation please ?

I use the New World Translation and also the old King James in paper format and I'm wondering if there is any other that is straight forward and reasonable in it's correctness.

I don't like reading the Bible online although it is convenient. It just doesn't feel right to me. 

I do think it is good to compare translations though. Any thoughts ?

• Views 648
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If one is already very familiar with a very literal translation, that stays close and consistent to the original Hebrew and Greek tenses and expressions, then almost any translation in more modern or

@4Jah2me Essentially what JWI stated. The thing is, a translations that is as close to the original source is often the one that is best to use, be it if you can read it as is and or in modern languag

I think the interlinear translations are great. Of course, you can do this online now. But I have J.P.Green's Hebrew Interlinear and think it's good. I think I bought mine for 20 while at Bethel, and

If one is already very familiar with a very literal translation, that stays close and consistent to the original Hebrew and Greek tenses and expressions, then almost any translation in more modern or flowing language will work.

I like the original NWT for a very literal translation because I'm familiar with it. The Hebrew Scriptures are a bit "stilted" and not very flexible, but that can be good for a literal translation. The Greek is very good and more readable even for a literal translation. You should already be familiar with all the controversial portions of the translation to make up your own mind on stauros, parousia, synteleia, etc.

Other good literal translations include the New Jerusalem Bible (Catholic) which also has excellent footnotes. I have not found it available online. The ASV and RSV and YLT are good for this too.

After the literal, then you are ready for almost anything. The NWT 2013 is a good compromise between literal and simple ease of reading. But just about anything will work as the second translation you read, even another literal.

@JW Insider  There are things in the NWT that I'm not too keen on, but detail would only cause controversy. And ye olde King James is a bit past it's best. 

A Hebrew to English translation would be helpful to me I think. And possibly a different Greek to English also. 

I have the Interlinear Translation of the Greek Scriptures. I actually find some 'differences' in this to the NWT. 

Yes, I will have to do some research, but I was asking for advice as to which might be the most helpful to me. 

When you say you like the 'original' NWT, how far back are you going ? What colour is it ? 

I use the grey 2013 at the moment but I also have a black one that says  'Revised 1971 C. E. New Edition of 1981' (?) .   Was there a green one much earlier ? 

22 hours ago, 4Jah2me said:

A Hebrew to English translation would be helpful to me I think. And possibly a different Greek to English also. 

I think the interlinear translations are great. Of course, you can do this online now. But I have J.P.Green's Hebrew Interlinear and think it's good. I think I bought mine for 20 while at Bethel, and I see it's now several times higher in price on Amzn. The KIT was always the best priced Greek Interlinear, and the word-for-word is just fine, even if you don't like the NWT in the margin.

For the NWT, I was referring to any of them prior to 2013. The black one you refer to is nice for old eyes, and more room for writing in the margins.

I also really like the Bibles that have 4 translations to a page, and I also have one with 8 translations on a page. This way you only have to glance over at another translation if you want to see how someone else translates the same verses/passage.

[edited to add: by 4 an 8 translations per page, it's really only 2 and 4 per page, but when you open to any page it uses both open pages, side by side, left and right, to display the same set of verses. So the "8" really only has 4 translations on each side. You typically won't read all of them, but it's a good way to find both a more literal and a more readable on the same page with easy access to both.]

Um, yes well. Thank you @JW Insider  8 translations per page................  Maybe i could manage one with the 4 translations per page. but my concentration would only be for around an hour on that. 

As for most of my bibles they have lots of notes everywhere.  BUT, i was always told not to take such a Bible on the ministry because it look disrespectful. I disagree with that viewpoint, I think it looks used and referenced. In my opinion the actual paper copy Bible is a tool to be used and if writing notes in it helps then go for it. You wouldn't buy a spade and not dig with it, just to keep it looking new and shiny. 

Thank you for your help on this. I know much can be done online but I like sitting in my rocking chair occasionally and just relaxing and reading. 

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.