The World News Media

Netherlands wants to punish silence on sex abuse in closed communities

Patiently waiting for Truth

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-netherlands-women-crime-trfn/netherlands-wants-to-punish-silence-on-sex-abuse-in-closed-communities-idUSKBN25O2IV

AMSTERDAM (Thomson Reuters Foundation) - The Dutch government wants to prosecute members of private groups and communities who fail to report sexual abuse in their organisations, a move that comes after Jehovah’s Witnesses rejected demands to tackle the under-reporting of abuse.

A 2019 report commissioned by the government to investigate sexual abuse involving Jehovah’s Witnesses found few cases were being reported to police, but group leaders dismissed calls for change and said they were being discriminated against.

Minister for Legal Protection Sander Dekker said the reluctance to change had spurred him to analyse how a law that punished organisations for failing to report sexual abuse could be structured.

“This makes it clear to me that the leadership (of the Jehovah’s Witnesses community) does not see or does not want to see the gravity of the situation. The leadership is leaving vulnerable victims out in the cold,” he said in a letter to parliament published late on Thursday.

Victims of sexual abuse in the Netherlands have the same right to access help, care and justice, regardless of which community they belong to,” he added, promising a progress update on the potential legislation later this year.

Link at top of page to full report.

• Views 284
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I hope they punish elders as well for threatening the victims with disfellowshipping or disassociation for going to the authorities.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-netherlands-women-crime-trfn/netherlands-wants-to-punish-silence-on-sex-abuse-in-closed-communities-idUSKBN25O2IV AMSTERDAM (Thomson Reuters Foundation) - The D

UPDATE  https://nltimes.nl/2020/08/30/dutch-govt-launches-hotline-sexual-abuse-jehovahs-witnesses DUTCH GOV'T LAUNCHES HOTLINE FOR SEXUAL ABUSE IN JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES   The governm

Of course the Law needs to include the reporting of ALL Accusations of Sexual Abuse and other abuse. Otherwise Elders or others could simply say that they didn't report it as there was no proof sexual abuse / other abuse actually happened.  The wording of any such Law would have to be very carefully thought out as it needs to be 'bomb proof'.  

What is also needed really is a 'safe house' for wives and children that want to report sexual abuse or other forms of abuse within their own household. It is often the husband / father that is the abuser and it is possible that a wife or child will not report because they have to continue living in the situation whilst it is investigated. 

If this is in a JW household where the husband/father is an Elder then it becomes even more difficult for a wife/child to report it to Elders. This is where a 'safe house' or 'hiding place' could be necessary. 

UPDATE 

https://nltimes.nl/2020/08/30/dutch-govt-launches-hotline-sexual-abuse-jehovahs-witnesses

DUTCH GOV'T LAUNCHES HOTLINE FOR SEXUAL ABUSE IN JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES

The government is expanding the 'Break the silence" hotline of Victim Support Netherlands so that there is a special hotline where victims of sexual abuse within the Jehovah's Witnesses can get the help they need, Minister Sander Dekker for Legal Protection announced. The Jehovah's Witnesses refused to set up its own, low-threshold internal hotline, so the Minister decided to do so himself.

"I expect every community or organization to do everything possible to combat sexual abuse and to help and support victims. That is not happening with the Jehovah's Witnesses and I find that extremely bad," Dekker said. "That is why we are reaching out now and victims from this community will soon be able to contact the 'Break the silence' hotline of Victims Support Netherlands. Victims are entitled to professional help and a listening ear, it cannot be that they run into a wall of reluctance."

The government agency for scientific research WODC investigated sexual abuse and the willingness to come forward in the Jehovah's Witnesses, following calls from Foundation Reclaimed Voices to do so, and concluded that there is evidence that coming forward is complicated by the closed nature fo the community. The WODC said it was essential for a low-threshold hotline to be created, and the government is doing so now after repeated instructions to the board of the Jehovah's Witnesses to create such a hotline were ignored. 

Link to article at top of this comment.

I do wonder if Almighty God is using worldly leaders / governments to 'sort out' the CCJW. 

God used worldly nations to punish the Nation of Israel and to destroy Jerusalem. 

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Popular Contributors

• Topics

• … and donchew forget now … the GB now allows Sisters to come to meetings and go out in field service in slacks or Mumus.  Or slacks AND Mumus, if poundage appropriate. Did I ever mention I once dated a Sister that made Mumus out of parachutes? She was an Opera singer, and had a UN diplomatic passport. She was on “speed”, couldn’t blink, and typed 600 words a minute with 100% errors. Occasionally she would get lipstick in her eyebrows.  
    • In my perspective, when the Smithsonian Magazine covers a topic, I am inclined to trust their expertise. As for the shadows here, I see no benefit in entertaining irrational ideas from others. Let them hold onto their own beliefs. We shouldn't further enable their self-deception and misleading of the public.  
    • Hey Self! 🤣I came across this interesting conspiracy theory. There are scholars who firmly believe in the authenticity of those artifacts. I value having conversations with myself. The suggestion of a mentally ill person has led to the most obscure manifestation of a group of sorrowful individuals. 😁
    • I have considered all of their arguments. Some even apply VAT 4956 to their scenarios, which is acceptable. Anyone can use secular evidence if they genuinely seek understanding. Nonetheless, whether drawing from scripture or secular history, 607 is a plausible timeframe to believe in. People often misuse words like "destruction", "devastation", and "desolation" in an inconsistent manner, similar to words like "besiege", "destroy", and "sack". When these terms are misapplied to man-made events, they lose their true meaning. This is why with past historians, the have labeled it as follows: First Capture of Jerusalem 606 BC Second Capture of Jerusalem 598 BC Third Capture of Jerusalem 587 BC Without taking into account anything else.  Regarding the second account, if we solely rely on secular chronology, the ancient scribes made military adaptations to align with the events recorded in the Babylonian Chronicles. However, the question arises: Can we consider this adaptation as accurate?  Scribes sought to include military components in their stories rather than focusing solely on biblical aspects. Similarly, astronomers, who were also scholars, made their observations at the king's request to divine omens, rather than to understand the plight of the Jewish people. Regarding the third capture, we can only speculate because there are no definitive tablets like the Babylonian chronicles that state 598. It is possible that before the great tribulation, Satan will have influenced someone to forge more Babylonian chronicles in order to discredit the truth and present false evidence from the British Museum, claiming that the secular view was right all along. This could include documents supposedly translated after being found in 1935, while others were found in the 1800s. The Jewish antiquities authorities have acknowledged the discovery of forged items, while the British Museum has not made similar acknowledgments. It is evident that the British Museum has been compelled to confess to having looted or stolen artifacts which they are unwilling to return. Consequently, I find it difficult to place my trust in the hands of those who engage in such activities. One of the most notable instances of deception concerning Jewish antiquities was the widely known case of the ossuary belonging to James, the brother of Jesus. I was astonished by the judge's inexplicable justification for acquittal, as it was evident that his primary concern was preserving the reputation of the Jewish nation, rather than unearthing the truth behind the fraudulent artifact. The judge before even acknowledged it. "In his decision, the judge was careful to say his acquittal of Golan did not mean the artifacts were necessarily genuine, only that the prosecution had failed to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Golan had faked them." The burden of proof is essential. This individual not only forged the "Jehoash Tablet," but also cannot be retried for his deceit. Why are they so insistent on its authenticity? To support their narrative about the first temple of Jerusalem. Anything to appease the public, and deceive God. But then again, after the Exodus, when did they truly please God? So, when it comes to secular history, it's like a game of cat and mouse.  
  • Members

• TrueTomHarley

TrueTomHarley 9,548

• Natacha Rice

Natacha Rice 1

• Mark Watson

Mark Watson 0

• BGR

BGR 0

• Recent Status Updates

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Techredirector

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.