Arauna

• Views 20.2k
  • Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm making a catch-all place for the discussions on these topics that were currently under different topics/subjects. As I move old posts into this new topic, the oldest ones will appear to identify t

On Whether Noah's Flood Is Physically Possible Consider the amount of water needed to flood the entire earth to a depth sufficient to cover the highest mountains. What depth would that be? T

This helped me to see the source of Alan’s enmity towards me. It is pure envy.

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, Ann O'Maly said:

I meant read proper science books. 🙄

Arauna appears stuck in the pre-1980 Watchtower world, when the Society was promoting its version of Young-Earth Creationism (more properly, bits of normal YECism mixed with Russellism) and YEC Flood Geology. About 1980 the Writing Dept. abandoned much of this nonsense and mostly quit trying to justify Noah's Flood, and gradually began referring to the "creative days" as being "millennia long" rather than 7,000 years. Stuck-in-the-mud JWs like Arauna never noticed -- which was exactly why the Society never announced these changes. It would have been a bit too much for the old ones to give up on a century of Russell's nonsense.

These topics are rarely discussed by JWs today, to the extent that ones under about 45 usually know nothing about the 7,000 years nonsense, much less Watchtowerish Flood Geology. Most of the younger JWs have no problem accepting normal geological dating, such as 66 million years ago for the Cretaceous Extinction of the dinosaurs. Only dinosaurs like Arauna have trouble with such dating.

Yep, I'm 71 and and at age around 20 (50 year ago) the Org was teaching me about the 7,000 year creative days and about the 6,000 years of human life, then it would be / should have been, Armageddon / Jesus' 1,000 year reign.  That would have then been 49,000 years and then i think the Org was also mentioning a Millenium ??? 

Now, that was a foundation teaching of the Watchtower back then.  A doctrine of importance to all JWs, and those W/t leaders were thought of as having God's Holy Spirit. 

I'm making a catch-all place for the discussions on these topics that were currently under different topics/subjects. As I move old posts into this new topic, the oldest ones will appear to identify the starter/owner of this topic, even though that person didn't create this topic.

2 hours ago, AlanF said:

Arauna appears stuck in the pre-1980 Watchtower world

Nearer to 1950s and '60s Watchtower- and fringe-ideas-world.

To be fair, 'The Genesis Flood' was written before the mechanics of crustal plate movement were fully known and published.

And then there's Velikovsky ... 🤨

1 hour ago, JW Insider said:

As I move old posts into this new topic, the oldest ones will appear to the starter/owner of this topic, even though that person didn't create this topic.

Yeah, thanks a lot. How did I get to head this cat fight, other than to say on an unrelated topic that when science says “Jump!” you needn’t immediately respond with, “How high?”

Even 4Jah jumps in—he of the True Anointed expectation! There is no way he is an evolutionist, but here is thick as thieves with them! Why can’t he and Witness (one of his true anointed, I think, or at least she does) and Matthew 4-5784 join forces and combat Ann and Alan and leave us out of it?

2 hours ago, AlanF said:

These topics are rarely discussed by JWs today

That’s because they are Bible teachers. Let scientists be scientists and Bible teachers be Bible teachers. One way to deal with cognitive dissonance is to say that you don’t have to know everything. Another way is the say you don’t have to know it now. Some things clarify with time. “I know what I know” is enough, like Paul Simon says.

The clarifications sometimes come from us, as they did with the days of creation being “epochs” and “aeons.” Focus on attributes of the heart. For every saying of Jesus about the head, there are ten on the heart. That is the direction in which truth lies.

14 minutes ago, Ann O'Maly said:

To be fair, 'The Genesis Flood' was written before the mechanics of crustal plate movement were fully known and published.

Since this is MY thread—JWI said so, though I’ve barely said a word on it—it’s appropriate for me to say that I don’t do floods—the cost/benefit ratio doesn’t work out.

https://www.tomsheepandgoats.com/2009/03/i-dont-do-floods.html

1 hour ago, TrueTomHarley said:

Since this is MY thread—JWI said so, though I’ve barely said a word on it

I'll look for an older post. I think it was in another topic, but I recall AlanF seemed to have brought this up out of nowhere somewhere else recently. If that's older than yours, the problem is resolved. AlanF deserves this one anyway. I don't think he can go 20 posts without changing to one of these subjects, even if it's just as simple/banal as: "You're as moronic as a flat earth creationist."

[Edited to add: Looks like your off the hook. Arauna appears to have the oldest post here, but I'll still be on the lookout for one from AlanF that pins this whole offshoot on him.]

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.