The World News Media

IICSA: survivors speak of influence of religion

Patiently waiting for Truth

https://www.churchtimes.co.uk/articles/2021/19-february/news/uk/iicsa-survivors-speak-of-influence-of-religion

BEING raised in a highly religious community is seen by victims and survivors of child sexual abuse as one factor affecting their experience. This emerged today in a new report from the Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse (IICSA).

The Inquiry is building on information that it hears through its investigations, research, and through its Truth Project (News, 29 January). This latest consultation took the list of the nine “protected characteristics” identified in the Equality Act 2010, which protects people from discrimination in the UK.

Some described feeling isolated and unable to associate with anyone beyond their religious community. One described a culture of “insularity” in the Jehovah’s Witnesses, and how it fostered mistrust of secular authority. Another said that coming from a Christian background had led her “to rebel against my parents, leading me into the arms of a sexual predator”.

Link to full article above. Different people react in different ways. 

• Views 13.2k
  • Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

... apparently not, as it IS up to God ...

I request that all upvotes that might otherwise go to CC, who disdains them, be bestowed upon me instead. I need all I can get to counter the deluge of downvotes from 4Jah. Never could there be

(Proverbs 26:17) Like someone grabbing hold of a dog’s ears Is the one passing by who [meddles in] a quarrel that is not his. I have had hundreds of very similar exchanges with Allen/Billy/Cesar

Posted Images

1 hour ago, 4Jah2me said:

One described a culture of “insularity” in the Jehovah’s Witnesses,

“Insularity” is just a derogatory way of describing “no part of the world.” You think Christians should be part of the world, then.

and how it fostered mistrust of secular authority

You feel that secular authority must always be trusted, then.

Another said that coming from a Christian background had led her “to rebel against my parents, leading me into the arms of a sexual predator”.

You feel that no child except those raised in Christian households have ever rebelled against parents, then.

2 hours ago, xero said:

Sometimes you have to block people who have nothing positive to say Tom. On some day's I'm sure that applies to me too.

I prefer when people rabidly opposed are nonsensical. This fellow obliges nearly always. He trips himself up with almost every word. He is so intent on posting any challenge to the Christian organization, he doesn’t notice when what he posts aligns him with what is unrighteous. It is similar to how he used to align himself with Alan the Atheist, who said the most hateful things against God.

On the other hand, it is possible that I should just let the remark slide. On a platform other than this, I would indeed block him.

11 hours ago, TrueTomHarley said:

You feel that secular authority must always be trusted, then.

Well when it comes to CSA it seems the secular authorities are doing a better job than the Elder police in the congregations.

11 hours ago, TrueTomHarley said:

ou feel that no child except those raised in Christian households have ever rebelled against parents, then

This was answered already by my words  Different people react in different ways. 

But the article wasn't only about JWs, it was other religions too. 

2 minutes ago, TrueTomHarley said:

Or if they keep bobbing back up when knocked down like one of those inane bottom-weighted plastic clowns and you begin to feel there must be something better to do with your time.

The thing is that this abuse issue has been addressed and likely better addressed than any other organization on planet earth. How about we talk about the whole of Islam or the rest of the planet and all their actively terrible things being done? (China's concentration camps).

You won't hear these discuss any of this for the same reason that BLM doesn't care about black people - just advancing their Marxist agenda. So pot-shot takers are doing just that. They don't have any alternatives, they aren't building anything better. If they did and they were, then they'd be too busy doing that. Of course some are taking their shows on the road and monetizing their apostasy - at least they're making money. Some can't seem to even do that.

1 hour ago, xero said:

They don't have any alternatives, they aren't building anything better.

The thing to keep coming back to regarding the CSA accusations is the Holly Folk posts. I’ve not heard anyone put them so succinctly in a long time, if ever. I’ve put them under one roof and will keep referring to it as the need arises. Notice that nobody here has poked any holes in it 

https://www.tomsheepandgoats.com/2021/02/holly-folk-speaks-to-child-sexual-abuse-among-jehovahs-witnesses.html

6 hours ago, TrueTomHarley said:

Holly Folk

Western Today: Of course this is a matter of perspective, but in your view as a religious scholar, is there such a thing as a “bad religion?”

HF: "'Bad Religion' is a rock band from Los Angeles! Seriously, let me say that religions of all sizes and faith traditions do things all the time that I personally don’t like. But it is important to distinguish between the criminal, the ethical and the aesthetic. In both mainstream and marginal religions, things may happen that are unethical but are not technically illegal. And a religion may have beliefs or practices that I, or you, might personally find distasteful, but to which members have no objection. These are important differentiations in thinking about the behavior of a controversial group.

We also need to distinguish things done by individuals who belong to a religion and acts committed by members at their religion’s direction. This is important for both fairness, and to accurately understand the way violence can occur in religious settings. Statistically, the majority of Americans are either Roman Catholic or Protestant. And so it’s technically accurate to say most murderers in the United States are either Catholic or Protestant. But it would be a stretch to argue that these religions were encouraging members to commit murder.

There have definitely been instances where members of religions have committed violent crimes. Yet in some of the most inflammatory cases, like the Peoples Temple, the Order of the Solar Temple, and Aum Shinrikyo, the majority of lower-ranking members were not aware of the destructiveness perpetrated by an elite hierarchy. I think these instances hold an important insight for your question – it means that in even the most controversial religions, many if not most believers will not be “dangerous.” This definitely needs to shape how we think of religious difference." - https://westerntoday.wwu.edu/features/cults-new-christianities-and-religious-persecution-in-the-internet-age-a-qa-with-holly-folk

When you or some other JW member seek/use statements from other people who defend the WTJWorg position on one issue, then you must be aware that that same person is defending the position of other religions, against which the WTJWorg has a lot to say.

The tolerance of HF is greater than the tolerance of JW members and GB have to other religions. :))

22 hours ago, xero said:

How about we talk about the whole of Islam or the rest of the planet and all their actively terrible things being done? (China's concentration camps)

The world news media does have other topic areas I believe, but this section of the forum is the JW section. 

If you go to the top you will see that it says Jehovah's Witnesses Open Club.  Hence there is no point trying to discuss Islam or others on this part of the WNM. 

Whilst I agree with you and others that there is much wickedness in the whole world, it does no good in trying to solve the 'worlds' problems. We know that the whole world is lying in the power of the wicked one.  In comparason, the 'boots on the ground' JWs, that is the ordinay congregants, are generally 'good' people. 

Some of you think I want to destroy the JW org.  What I actually want is for God, through Christ, to have a clean Organisation that people can trust, so that many more people can come to know God properly before the Judgement comes. Will it the JW Org or will be a new Org ? Only time will tell.