Jump to content
The World News Media

Biden, Warnock, and the resurgence of the liberal Christian.


Recommended Posts

  • Member

    Hello guest!

I was interested in this article as the JW teaching is that there will be a complete removal / banning of religion earthwide.

 

When Mat Schmalz was coming of age in western Massachusetts decades ago, he took a year to volunteer for a Roman Catholic order in rural Oklahoma, helping to minister to some of the region’s poorer and more isolated communities.

It was the first time he spent a significant amount of time away from the rhythms of his Catholic upbringing, and at first he felt a bit unmoored. But then it almost came as a surprise as he grew particularly close to a family of Jehovah’s Witnesses, or when he started forming deep friendships with evangelical Protestants, including those from charismatic and Pentecostal traditions. 

“I mean, in one sense it was liberating,” says Mr. Schmalz, now a 

    Hello guest!
 of religious studies at College of the Holy Cross in Worcester, Massachusetts, which he calls “the heart of the Catholic left.” 

.................................

“It does seem to me that there has been this resurgence of people who interpret their Christian beliefs as a call to action on behalf of the most vulnerable,” says Margaret McGuinness, 

    Hello guest!
 of religion and theology at La Salle University in Philadelphia. “And then, all of a sudden, here comes President Joe Biden, who wears his Catholic faith on his sleeve – and I mean that in a good way, in a way that a lot of people are noticing.”

Only the second Roman Catholic to hold the nation’s highest office, President Biden has been one of the most pious and faithfully observant Christians in decades, many observers say, peppering his speeches with more than the kind of general religious references politicians often make. He’s quoted theologians such as St. Augustine and St. Francis of Assisi, and Catholic hymns like “On Eagle’s Wings,” a favorite among many liberal Catholics.

.......................................

Over the past few years, however, a number of high-profile Democrats – including current New Jersey Sen. Cory Booker; Secretary of Transportation Pete Buttigieg; and Missouri Congresswoman Cori Bush, a pastor from St. Louis – have made their faith a centerpiece of their liberal policy positions as churches on the left become more politically active.  

But the historic election of the Rev. Raphael Warnock to the U.S. Senate in January only underscores how much Black Protestants have taken the lead in reviving the liberal traditions of Christianity. As the first African American senator from Georgia, Senator Warnock has maintained his role as pastor of Ebenezer Baptist Church in Atlanta, the former congregation of Martin Luther King Jr.

This is a very long article so only partly uploaded here, but my point was that if all religion is going to be removed, then it does not look to be happening yet. This article mixes religion with politics of course, but the religious side still seems 'strong'. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Views 78
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I somewhat agree with you, but true Christianity may be in danger due to liberal christians and their insane christianity: Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content.

This post is almost as narrow as you. Formatting counts, you know.

  • Member
43 minutes ago, 4Jah2me said:

    Hello guest!

I was interested in this article as the JW teaching is that there will be a complete removal / banning of religion earthwide.

 

When Mat Schmalz was coming of age in western Massachusetts decades ago, he took a year to volunteer for a Roman Catholic order in rural Oklahoma, helping to minister to some of the region’s poorer and more isolated communities.

It was the first time he spent a significant amount of time away from the rhythms of his Catholic upbringing, and at first he felt a bit unmoored. But then it almost came as a surprise as he grew particularly close to a family of Jehovah’s Witnesses, or when he started forming deep friendships with evangelical Protestants, including those from charismatic and Pentecostal traditions. 

“I mean, in one sense it was liberating,” says Mr. Schmalz, now a 

    Hello guest!
 of religious studies at College of the Holy Cross in Worcester, Massachusetts, which he calls “the heart of the Catholic left.” 

.................................

“It does seem to me that there has been this resurgence of people who interpret their Christian beliefs as a call to action on behalf of the most vulnerable,” says Margaret McGuinness, 

    Hello guest!
 of religion and theology at La Salle University in Philadelphia. “And then, all of a sudden, here comes President Joe Biden, who wears his Catholic faith on his sleeve – and I mean that in a good way, in a way that a lot of people are noticing.”

Only the second Roman Catholic to hold the nation’s highest office, President Biden has been one of the most pious and faithfully observant Christians in decades, many observers say, peppering his speeches with more than the kind of general religious references politicians often make. He’s quoted theologians such as St. Augustine and St. Francis of Assisi, and Catholic hymns like “On Eagle’s Wings,” a favorite among many liberal Catholics.

.......................................

Over the past few years, however, a number of high-profile Democrats – including current New Jersey Sen. Cory Booker; Secretary of Transportation Pete Buttigieg; and Missouri Congresswoman Cori Bush, a pastor from St. Louis – have made their faith a centerpiece of their liberal policy positions as churches on the left become more politically active.  

But the historic election of the Rev. Raphael Warnock to the U.S. Senate in January only underscores how much Black Protestants have taken the lead in reviving the liberal traditions of Christianity. As the first African American senator from Georgia, Senator Warnock has maintained his role as pastor of Ebenezer Baptist Church in Atlanta, the former congregation of Martin Luther King Jr.

This is a very long article so only partly uploaded here, but my point was that if all religion is going to be removed, then it does not look to be happening yet. This article mixes religion with politics of course, but the religious side still seems 'strong'. 

This post is almost as narrow as you. Formatting counts, you know.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Member
8 hours ago, TrueTomHarley said:

This post is almost as narrow as you. Formatting counts, you know.

I'm glad you think I'm slim, I do try to exercise a lot to keep in trim :) 

As for formatting, i don't know how. it just uploads as it pleases.  But at least you looked at it, thanks. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Member
6 hours ago, 4Jah2me said:

I was interested in this article as the JW teaching is that there will be a complete removal / banning of religion earthwide.

Liberal, conservative, extreme, play NO role with true Christians. These paths of world view belongs to ex-witnesses and apostasy!! Make sure John, you make that distinction, even though you have supposed witnesses behaving to the contrary. Don't lump us all in the same pool!! 😏

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Member
15 minutes ago, César Chávez said:

Liberal, conservative, extreme, play NO role with true Christians. These paths of world view belongs to ex-witnesses and apostasy!! Make sure John, you make that distinction, even though you have supposed witnesses behaving to the contrary. Don't lump us all in the same pool!! 😏

Actually I've spoken to jw's who have very conservative views and liberal views on political and religious matters, just because jw's can't vote doesn't mean they don't have opinions.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Member
1 minute ago, Matthew9969 said:

Actually I've spoken to jw's who have very conservative views and liberal views on political and religious matters, just because jw's can't vote doesn't mean they have opinions.

Then you are speaking to your kind of witness. Not being part of this world means not drawing oneself to the politics of man. That means, a true witness has NO opinion one way or another about the politics they see. I understand here, it is different, seeing that many witnesses here NOT IN GOOD STANDING have relied on such topics, but like I told John, don't lump us all in the same pool!! Make sure you make that distinction!!

Link to post
Share on other sites




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.