The World News Media

Jehovah's Witnesses to join redress scheme

Isabella

Authorities are urging the Jehovah's Witnesses to contact them to get the ball rolling on the religious group's decision to join the national redress scheme for child sexual abuse survivors.

The organisation says it will sign up because of new rules introduced by the federal government, which mean it would lose its charity status - and subsequent tax exemptions - for continuing to hold out.

"Now that the law requires charities to join the scheme, Jehovah's Witnesses will comply," it said in a statement to AAP on Wednesday.

"Jehovah's Witnesses believe that it is their responsibility before God to respect and co-operate with the authorities."

A spokeswoman for Social Services Minister Anne Ruston has welcomed the statement but implored the organisation to contact authorities.

"(We) encourage them to make urgent contact with the Department of Social Services so they can make good on this commitment," she told AAP.

"It can take up to six months for institutions to complete the process of joining and the department would hope to work co-operatively and with haste to facilitate the Jehovah's Witnesses joining as quickly as possible.

Read more: https://au.news.yahoo.com/jehovahs-witnesses-join-redress-scheme-061052602.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAHbuBHuqnP7KNLb527EVBCNI9aRGuZaVR17ucV6gpZ6gudjs9fT539uAXbCWjB_VAf1U9idMlVhs83yiIa_UDL8I1JzAjES24c9U1blerB_57bzgWeL303HoiR8FESq-9RPGgV4s-0KjIq4umSvUtyV-Xy7uV1GeVbMS1O8PSygP

• Views 1.8k
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So true. I was killed once (not kidding) for a couple of minutes. As a pedestrian, I was standing on the curb but with one foot in the crosswalk waiting for the light to change when a man who wanted t

I was walking along the dockside when I felt a brushing at my pocket. I clamped my hand down instantly upon another that was trying to lift my wallet! ”What hypocrisy!” the fellow bellowed. It’s

I actually think the statement is a little clunky—for it doesn’t account for the reversal— and that i could have written it better, along the lines I have already said.  Still, it is such a white

WTJWorg The administration has changed its mind? On what grounds and motives? Some are mentioned in the article (money issue). Indeed, we can speak of the hypocrisy of those who are the “leaders” of this organization.

Arguments by some to justify non-cooperation were that the CSA was not “institutional violence” but “domestic violence” (Holly Folk from Cesnur) or that WTJWorg had no “institutional setings” with which to participate in reddress.

WHAT COMPLET HYPOCRISY. This truly shows the GB / Watchtower / JW Org for what they really are. 

16 hours ago, Isabella said:

The organisation says it will sign up because of new rules introduced by the federal government, which mean it would lose its charity status - and subsequent tax exemptions - for continuing to hold out.

It's all about the money, money, money.  They do not care about people. 

16 hours ago, Isabella said:

"Jehovah's Witnesses believe that it is their responsibility before God to respect and co-operate with the authorities."

BUT they didn't 'believe that' earlier, when money wasn't involved.  

THIS IS WHO YOU SERVE JWs. THESE ARE YOUR MASTERS, YOUR GB AND THEIR LAWYERS AND THEIR NON ANOINTED HELPERS. 

9 hours ago, 4Jah2me said:

It's all about the money, money, money.  They do not care about people. 

I was walking along the dockside when I felt a brushing at my pocket. I clamped my hand down instantly upon another that was trying to lift my wallet!

”What hypocrisy!” the fellow bellowed. It’s all about money money money with you, isn’t it?!!!”

Conscience-stricken, I handed over my wallet to him.

9 hours ago, TrueTomHarley said:

I was walking along the dockside when I felt a brushing at my pocket. I clamped my hand down instantly upon another that was trying to lift my wallet!

”What hypocrisy!” the fellow bellowed. It’s all about money money money with you, isn’t it?!!!”

Conscience-stricken, I handed over my wallet to him.

not even funny tom. You and your GB / Org are sick. Spiritually sick. But at least the GB / Lawyers / Watchtower / JW Org et al, are showing their true colours for all the world to see.  I hope it helps many more people leave the JW org / congregations. 

3 hours ago, 4Jah2me said:

not even funny tom.

It is funny, but more importantly, it is instructional.

This is not hypocritical, 4Jah, nor is it hard. Don’t be such a little girl over it.

The Aussie authorities devise a plan that fits all other parties for the institutional abuse of their youth clubs, youth schools, youth camps. They invite organizations to join. The WT declines because they do not have such settings. Whatever outlier cases may occur with them they will handle on a case by case basis.

The Aussie authorities then say they MUST come aboard, on pain of losing the tax status that is afforded every other charity. At that point, it becomes an operational cost. They still don’t think it is justified, but it becomes a cost of operating in Australia.

There are times in life when it is all about money. One of those times is when someone is trying to take it from you and you alone. 

3 hours ago, TrueTomHarley said:

The Aussie authorities then say they MUST come aboard, on pain of losing the tax status that is afforded every other charity. At that point, it becomes an operational cost. They still don’t think it is justified, but it becomes a cost of operating in Australia.

First Christians suffered and died for principles and died with thoughts how it is not justified what Caesar doing.

WTJWorg are not willing to "suffer and die" for same reasons, because "cost of operating" depend on money not on God blessings.

18 hours ago, TrueTomHarley said:

There are times in life when it is all about money. One of those times is when someone is trying to take it from you and you alone. 

So if you are not being sarcastic here, then we can actually agree on something.

Your GB care more about money than they do about serving God properly. The GB care more about money than they do about people. If fact it seems that the GB care only about money, power and their 'five minutes of fame'. 

If that is who you want to trust and rely on, then I think you will end up very disappointed. But it's your life. 

8 hours ago, Srecko Sostar said:

WTJWorg still have their lawyers. Perhaps they will give suggestion to GB; "We can sue Australia for this" :)))

In the United States, the most frequent litigant in the Supreme Court, apart from the government itself, has been Jehovah's Witnesses, mostly in the 30s, 40,s and 50s. Any student of law learns of their major contributions in clarifying freedom of worship, freedom of speech, and freedom of assembly. Justice Harlan Fiske Stone once said, “I think the Jehovah’s Witnesses ought to have an endowment in view of the aid which they give in solving the legal problems of civil liberties.” They have "solved the legal problems of civil liberties" upwards of 50 times in that one country alone.

I do not know what, if anything, they will do with regard to this Australian policy. The only thing I know for sure is that, had you been in America decades ago, you would have cried over each and every one of their cases then, as you do here.

8 hours ago, Srecko Sostar said:

First Christians suffered and died for principles and died with thoughts how it is not justified what Caesar doing.

There is no "principle" at stake here. They attempted to escape a "fee" they felt unjust and were thwarted. At which point they drop back and say governments have the power and authority to impose or not impose fees. It's what they do, and adjusting to it is no more than obeying the superior authorities. 

Appealing the verdict of a court is not the same as disregarding the superior authorities. It is a right afforded any citizen or collection of citizens. Will this be appealed? No idea. 

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.