xero

• Views 16.2k
  • Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In the 1970's it was common for Bethelites to order Bible commentaries like Matthew Henry's and Barnes' Notes on the NT and various Bible translations. Later, they also allowed orders for Jay Green's

I liked your KH building experience. We've all had that experience when we would have made different decisions if we were in charge, and then we are glad we weren't. But I can't seem to fit your

Bingo. It’s the pure nastiness of one, not to mention the pure dodo-headedness of another. These annoy far more than the posts themselves, though sometimes the two are hard to unravel. After

Posted Images

8 hours ago, xero said:

A visit to Bora Bora is in order. Yup. No opposers or long winded idiots here.

I'm pretty sure I'm one of the long-winded idiots, but I really enjoyed the island walk. Someday, I'll watch more of it at actual speed. I have a habit of turning everything up to 2x speed and then watching for only 3 seconds before skipping a minute and watching another 3 seconds and then skipping another minute, etc. This video was too nice for such short-shrift treatment.

25 minutes ago, JW Insider said:

I'm pretty sure I'm one of the long-winded idiots, but I really enjoyed the island walk. Someday, I'll watch more of it at actual speed. I have a habit of turning everything up to 2x speed and then watching for only 3 seconds before skipping a minute and watching another 3 seconds and then skipping another minute, etc. This video was too nice for such short-shrift treatment.

What I liked about it was there was no music. Just the sounds that were there. Also it was pretty high resolution. At one point he stops and you can see three rays flying in the water. This is probably one of the most relaxing videos I've seen in a while.

BTW This is what I miss about not having in person meetings and conventions. I love the feeling of being around huge numbers of Jehovah's Witnesses. It feels better than a giant family reunion. Watching people smile at each other in the intermissions and engage in small talk. Seeing young people cruising the halls. *sigh*

2 hours ago, xero said:

Apparently this island is for sale. Only 39 million.

Are the “No Long-Winded Idiots” signs thrown in for free? If not, that would be the dealbreaker for me.

There’s no reason, when you’ve cleared 39 million, that you can’t hire a guy to paint a few signs.

I mean, come on! If I shell out 39 million, I should have to paint my own signs as well?

On 4/11/2021 at 11:01 AM, xero said:

No. It's better to say "Yes. I DO think I'm better at X, Y  or Z than another person. 

It's all about being politically correct. Some nations are more sensitive to justified criticism than others. In some European countries it's ok to tell your best friend she's fat and needs to lose weight.. in other countries that would be called fat shaming and is a no no. The other thing is than some people think that "false humility" is ok. It's nice to be honest, but many people can't take it. Today's society has become a bunch of snowflakes as JTR  (a former  member of the forum)  used to call them. And he was right. 

I believe we had an article, or was it a letter, I don't remember right now where failure to discipline was referred to as mistaken kindness. The same could be said about not speaking your mind. Failure to do so shields both you and the ones you could be speaking to from what you really feel is the truth. (You could be very wrong, but not speaking up could take everyone on a trip to Abilene). On the other hand, there's no need to tell people things they obviously already know. In this case they just shouldn't be shielded from the consequences of their own actions.

12 minutes ago, JW Insider said:

I could be wrong, but I think what you're trying to say is that I should start a discussion about 1914, the Kingdom, and 607 BCE, and the parousia. :)

...and if you could think "Let me do it Hemingway-style while I do it. Better yet, in the form of a short equation, like E = MC**2."

Remember Paul said "if the trumpet sounds an indistinct call, who will get ready...?"

Also you have to steel-man your opponent. If you can't do that, you're less convincing as you appear to not understand the opposition.

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.