Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'watchtower bible and tract society of new york'.
Found 3 results
River-to-River Trail to Provide a Pedestrian Route to Gunks From the Open Space Institute's website: River-to-Ridge Trail to Feature Local Agrarian Culture:
Part of a series on: This corporation would later be known as: Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York, Inc. As the Bible Student Association, they moved their headquarters to the Brooklyn Heights from Pittsburgh in 1909 and incorporated as the People’s Pulpit Association.Qualified to Be Ministers published in 1955, by the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society had this to say about the Association: "Such a corporation came into legal existence February 23, 1909, and was named People's Pulpit Association. Thirty years later, in 1939, the name was changed to its present one, Watchtower Bible and Tract Society, Inc." [pg. 309] Interesting historical fact:Rutherford had the book "The Finished Mystery" secretly written and printed outside of Bethel, without the knowledge of the 4 Directors who he threw off the Board the very same day he released "The Finished Mystery" to Bethel.Another clarification:Zion's Watch Tower Tract Society (unincorporated since 1881) was the original name of the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania, Inc., established in Pittsburgh in 1884. The following section of information is included here for archival reasons only. The opinions listed below are NOT those of jw-archive.org and have not been independently reviewed or sourced. Feel free to add links to supporting information. If you find a falsehood please comment below and point out the incorrect information. In January 1909, when Charles Taze Russell relocated his religion business to Brooklyn, New York, to get away from the Pennsylvania courts, it was necessary to form a New York corporation in order to conduct certain business activities in the state of New York -- specifically, to hold title to real estate. At the same time, Charles Taze Russell also deemed it absolutely necessary that legal matters be arranged in such a fashion that Russell retained absolute financial control over the new corporation.In February 1909, PEOPLES PULPIT ASSOCIATION (later renamed The Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York, Inc.) was formed by Charles Taze Russell, along with 40 handpicked loyal followers, including Bethelites, who supposedly each purchased one or more shares at $1000.00 per share. Charles Taze Russell was elected "President-For-Life", while all other corporate officers were to be elected annually. To further ensure Russell's absolute financial control, NO donations nor other income went to the People's Pulpit Association. All financial income and donations went through the books of The Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania. As "overkill", to make absolutely certain of such, the People's Pulpit Association did NOT even have a bank account for several years.The Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania paid all debts of the People's Pulpit Association. The People's Pulpit Association was kept totally and completely in debt to The Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania, including the holding of full mortgages on each piece of real estate purchased by the People's Pulpit Association. Thus, if there were ever a mutiny, Charles Taze Russell controlled everything of financial worth through his control of the Pennsylvania corporation.Interestingly, in February 1909, Charles Taze Russell indicated that "we" had recently purchased "Brooklyn Bethel", at 124 Columbia Heights, for $24,000.00 (along with two other unidentified properties and their costs), but that "friends of the truth" had had to loan the money to "we" at the "cheapest" possible annual rate of 5% interest, and that those "friends" held a $24,000.00 mortgage on the property. In 1913, during the "Property Tax" court case, Watch Tower Society Treasurer, William Van Amburgh, testified that there was still a $24,000.00 mortgage on the property, and that the mortgage holder was the Watch Tower Society of Pennsylvania. Additionally, Van Amburgh indicated that the Watch Tower Society of Pennsylvania also held a $50,000.00 mortgage on 122 Columbia Heights, but for some reason that he could not explain, that mortgage had never been publicly "recorded", thus could not be viewed by outsiders. The Watch Tower Society of Pennsylvania also held a mortgage on the Hicks Street Brooklyn Tabernacle -- initially $17,500.00, but thereafter increased to $25,000.00 to cover financed improvements.Source of this section See also: Recent purchase of an FAA training Facility in Florida for $8 million