The World News Media

The one sentence your LinkedIn profile must have

SciTechPress

• Administrator

istock000024725062medium_800xx1697-962-0

Once upon a time, someone wiser than I am told me a marketing truth I never forgot: A confused prospect never buys.

In sales and marketing, clarity is king.

This is especially true in the 21st century, when our ultra-connected, always on, stream-of-consciousness lives as we scroll through one social media profile and update after another gives marketers precious few seconds to grab our attention.

Is Your LinkedIn Summary Scaring Prospects Away?

Today, I want to focus on the first sentence of your LinkedIn Summary.

The way LinkedIn lays out a profile page, your Summary area is the first text area visitors come across after seeing your headshot and professional title.

Needless to say, the first sentence of your LinkedIn Summary is critical.

Let me ask: What do you have in there right now? Don't lie! Are you talking about yourself in the third person, like a professional athlete? Are you telling us where you work and what your job title or duties are?

If you are, it's okay.

Blame it on LinkedIn!

You're far from alone. In fact, LinkedIn has trained us to think that way — to treat our profile page like a virtual résumé, listing our employers, job titles, duties, and so on.

If you're trying to use LinkedIn to generate business for yourself, however, that approach is a huge mistake.

Here's why: Your clients don't care about you.

I hate to burst your bubble, but your clients do not care what your job title is, where you attended college, what awards you've won or anything else. What they do care about is quite simple.

“Your clients care about themselves – morning, noon, and after supper!”

Dale Carnegie penned those words all the way back in 1936, but they ring just as true in 2016, don't they?

The Secret to a Successful LinkedIn Summary

Which leads us to the all-important first sentence of your LinkedIn Summary.

Take the template I'm going to share below and copy it, filling in the blanks to personalize it for you and your business.

Here it is:

WHAT I DO: I help [MY TARGET AUDIENCE] achieve [THEIR GOAL] by providing [MY PRODUCT/SERVICE].

See how simple and clear that is?

Using that approach, the first sentence of your LinkedIn Summary instantly identifies your target audience, tells that audience how you help them achieve their goals or solve their problems, and it explains how you do it (the service or product you provide).

It's that simple.

Make sure you watch this video to see how some of my LinkedIn Riches students have applied the formula above to their profiles.

You’ll see how they’re able to take the template I shared above and simply fill in the blanks in a way that helps them appeal to their target audiences in a fast, efficient and clear manner.

Go watch the video, and then give it a shot yourself!

John Nemo is the author of the Amazon #1 Bestseller “LinkedIn Riches.” Register here for his free webinar on generating more business with LinkedIn!

John Nemo

http://www.bizjournals.com/portland/how-to/marketing/2016/02/the-one-sentence-your-linkedin-profile-must-have.html?page=all

• Views 556
  • Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Popular Posts

Once upon a time, someone wiser than I am told me a marketing truth I never forgot: A confused prospect never buys. In sales and marketing, clarity is king. This is especially true in the 21

Posted Images