The World News Media

24 YEAR OLD BETHELITE WOMAN RECENTLY DISFELLOWSHIPPED FOR APOSTASY COMMITS SUICIDE!

Jack Ryan

2 hours ago, James Thomas Rook Jr. said:

TTH, when you determinedly misconstrue what is being said, and cannot visualize what MUST be the case, when people don't use puppets and crayons to explain things to you.

Oh, stop it with the ad homenum attacks, will you? If you MUST revel in ad homenum attacks, then revel in the ones I make against you, for they are accurate.

If you even walked back your idiot statement or attempted to clarify it, I would cut you slack, but you unfurl it as though you would replace Rutherford for the keynote talk with your huge banner: 'Behold! Advertise, Advertise, Advertise that Witness Ministers of the Kingdom are Nuts!' (and yet you intend to raise your kids Witnesses!!  Why should not THAT be considered parental abuse? Raise those kids to embrace the religion you hate.)

4 hours ago, James Thomas Rook Jr. said:

This study shows that JWs have about a THIRD of the mental illness rate of the general population, and I would suspect that that would equate to about a THIRD of the suicides of the general population.    

Of course! One quarter of a percent of the population is responsible for one third of the suicides!! Count yourself l**ky that I did not call you a liar. I did not do so, because I allowed for the possibility that you belonged in an asylum.

3 hours ago, JW Insider said:

If Bergen claims that such health issues are only 10% to 16% higher in JWs than the general population, I would not think this is so surprising in the time period that he tried to measure.

Now THAT is another statement entirely.  Had you said that, you would not have come off as an unhinged lunatic. 

Is it true? It is in one particular place and time. Furuli later made a YouTube perhaps in response to it, as though this fellow had butchered his findings. And JWI, who will spill JW shortcomings at the drop of a pin, says Furuli's numbers should hardly be relied upon. So who can know?

But there is another way to look at it. 

Even if it were true, it is no more than what one would expect when Jesus says he came to seek, not those who do not need a physician, but those that do. The groups to worry about, to my mind, are those who have low rates of mental illness among them - for there are a lot of mentally ill people around. It must be that they feel excluded - driven away by condescension, lack of love, or inhospitality. 

Those who can operate smoothly among this world’s calamities – who can absorb all the atrocities routinely distributed and accommodate themselves to it without fuss - those are the people to worry about, IMO. Besides, when our people go off the rails, they nonetheless wouldn’t hurt a fly. If persons of the greater world go off the rails - better call the SWAT team and secure a new identity from the authorities!

3 hours ago, JW Insider said:

Mental illness is more of a stigma

Yes. Why do you think he brings it up?

• Views 22.1k
  • Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So true. It's hard to imagine what kind of "spirituality" can live alongside certain kinds of sin and certain kinds of personalities. Most people go into the various Bethel branches, at about age

Unfortunately, that wasn't just true back in the '80's. I have seen the same thing and so have others - and it's not just true of NY Bethel. The trick for those of us who have lived through and seen t

It is one thing to speak frankly and honestly (rather than live in "pretend world") while also contributing to the spiritual welfare of our brothers and sisters. Some of our brothers and sisters in fa

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Arauna said:

I agree - Bethel will not cure people who already have problems.... Immature to think that.

Nice conclusion. But is it  not "logical" to have such immature thinking among JW members? And how would "sounds" if Bethel image would not have that little "possibility" to making people who get in, to be better person after they go out of Bethel? :))

6 hours ago, James Thomas Rook Jr. said:

This study shows that JWs have about a THIRD of the mental illness rate of the general population, and I would suspect that that would equate to about a THIRD of the suicides of the general population.    Just a guess

Hmmm. Did I mIsread this? Possibly. He says a third, not three times. Hmm

Alright, Tommy, man up!

Sorry, JTR

Having said that, one cannot go wrong on a rant against the big boy, in my opinion. It's delectable.

2 hours ago, Srecko Sostar said:

Nice conclusion. But is it  not "logical" to have such immature thinking among JW members? And how would "sounds" if Bethel image would not have that little "possibility" to making people who get in, to be better person after they go out of Bethel? :))

I wasn't saying it couldn't happen that a person would come out better after leaving Bethel. (I am exactly 18.3% better than I was.) Also, a person who has a specific issue to work on, if he takes advantage of the new circumstances at Bethel and learns from the experiences, can probably accomplish his goal, or overcome his issue. I was concerned about the idea that being in a certain place will impose some kind of predetermined effect on that person. 

13 hours ago, Arauna said:

I knew of one handsome young man who was in love with a worldly girl at school and for some reason became depressed.  He impulsively committed suicide and ruined his poor mothers life.

He probably became depressed because he couldn't have her. When they are that young, romantic love is so overwhelming that you are willing to die if you can't have that person. It's an age old story, older than Romeo & Juliette.  If he was older, he might have been able to reason it out a little bit more rationally, and perhaps even do it his own way. It is tragic. I feel so sorry for his mother :(

4 hours ago, Nana Fofana said:

Please remember my lack of education and make allowances for my inability to come up with another word, and copying "delectible" from another poster on thread.

Sigh....I've come to regret that. In hindsight, I did completely misread @James Thomas Rook Jr.' remarks (though not necessarily his sentiment) and thus based my tirade on something he didn't say. I owe him an apology, fair and square, without any snide asides for once.

15 hours ago, JW Insider said:

(I am exactly 18.3% better than I was.)

:)))) interesting

15 hours ago, JW Insider said:

I was concerned about the idea that being in a certain place will impose some kind of predetermined effect on that person. 

Yeah, such effect is possible. So, it is visible in all known proverb "the tree can bend as long as it is young". That is why Bethel, or Military or Schools or some other organization can get better results with young people than with older. 

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.