The World News Media

Zechariah 2 - Who is the young man with a measuring line in his hand?

The Librarian

• 3 months later...

• Views 1.6k
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some questions we need to ask, are: When did/do these events take place? Who at the time of the events, fits the description? The context is about a restoration of true worship isn't it

Some questions we need to ask, are:

When did/do these events take place?

Who at the time of the events, fits the description?

The context is about a restoration of true worship isn't it. If we look back at the babylonian captivity, to us, that ended in 537 BCE. Who would fit the description of the man?

The later fulfillment has recently changed. The spiritual captivity ran from the beginning of the second century through to 1919 CE.

Q. Do we consider 1919, a restoration of true worship or a beginning of a restoration?

Who would fit the description of the man at that time?

Certainly, some interesting parallels.

its length.”is its width and what isSo I said, “Where are you going?” And he said to me, “To measure Jerusalem, to see what "Then I raised my eyes and looked, and behold, a man with a measuring line in his hand. 

(Jer 23:29 – fire/word)  .’”will be a wall of fire all around her, and I will be the glory in her midstFor I,’ says the Lord, ‘  because of the multitude of men and livestock in it., without walls towns as shall be inhabited Jerusalemwho said to him, “Run, speak to this young man, saying: ‘ the angel who talked with me, going out; and another angel was coming out to meet him, wasAnd there 

There are other places in the scripture that speak of the Temple being measured:

“Thus He showed me: Behold, the Lord stood on a wall made with a plumb line, with a plumb line in His hand.  And the Lord said to me, “Amos, what do you see?” And I said, “A plumb line.” Then the Lord said:

“Behold, I am setting a plumb line
In the midst of My people Israel;
I will not pass by them anymore.  Amos 7:7,8 (Zech 10:3)

The Lord has purposed to destroy
The wall of the daughter of Zion.
He has stretched out a line;
He has not withdrawn His hand from destroying;
Therefore He has caused the rampart and wall to lament;  
They languished together.  Lam 2:8

For who has despised the day of small things?
For these seven rejoice to see (Josh 6:4; Jer 6:17; Hos 8:1)
The plumb line in the hand of Zerubbabel.
They are the eyes of the Lord, (Rev 5:6)
Which scan to and fro throughout the whole earth.” Zech 4:10 – Zech 1:16

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Josh+6%3A4%3B+Jer+6%3A17%3B+Hos+8%3A1%3B+Rev+5%3A6%3B+Zech+1%3A16&version=NKJV

In Rev 11, John is handed a reed, a measuring rod/plumb line. 

Then I was given a reed like a measuring rod. And the angel stood, saying, “Rise and measure the temple of God, the altar, and those who worship there.  But leave out the court which is outside the temple, and do not measure it, for it has been given to the Gentiles. And they will tread the holy city underfoot for forty-two months.  And I will give power to my two witnesses, and they will prophesy one thousand two hundred and sixty days, clothed in sackcloth.”  Rev 11:1,2

“leave” out - ἐκβάλλω ekbállō, ek-bal'-lo; to eject (literally or figuratively):—bring forth, cast (forth, out), drive (out), expel, leave, pluck (pull, take, thrust) out, put forth (out), send away (forth, out).

This abomination of HIS SANCTUARY moves God to jealousy, and what does this but, idolatry to an image.  Ezek 5:11; 8:5,6; 23:38; 33:11; Rev 13:14,15,8; Ezek 44:7; 30:3; Jer 13:20,21 https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Eze.5%3A11%3B+8%3A5%2C6%3B+23%3A38%3B+33%3A11%3B+Rev.13%3A14%2C15%2C8%3B+Eze.44%3A7%3B+30%3A3%3B+Jer.13%3A20%2C21&version=NKJV 

Also, in Rev 21:15 we see -  Now the wall of the city had twelve foundations, and on them were the names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb.  And he who talked with me had a gold reed to measure the city, its gates, and its wall.

Scriptures give us an entire picture of who is holding the measuring line in Zech 2:2 and why. 

Identifying factors:

-          It is found within the midst of spiritual “Israel” 

-          Spiritual “Israel” are the anointed ones of God’s Temple under Christ.  

-          God’s Temple walls are ‘languishing’ – anointed ones are “trampled” down like a heavy stone that the people want ‘heaved’ away.  Zech 12:3;1 Pet 2:5,9; Rom 2:29; 1 Cor 6:19,20; 3:16,17;9; Eph 2:20-22; Matt 16:18

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Zech+12%3A3%3B1+Pet+2%3A5%2C9%3B+Rom+2%3A29%3B+1+Cor+6%3A19%2C20%3B+3%3A16%2C17%3B9%3B+Eph+2%3A20-22%3B+Matt+16%3A18&version=NKJV

This fulfillment is happening in the organization, among the anointed ones:

“ Do those of the other sheep need to know the names of all those who are anointed today? The short answer is no. Why not? Because even if someone has received the heavenly calling, that person has received only an invitation, not a final confirmation of the reward. That is why Satan raises up “false prophets . . . to mislead, if possible, even the chosen ones.” w16 January pp. 22-27

So anointed ones do not think that they are better than others. They know that Jehovah does not necessarily give anointed ones more holy spirit than he gives his other servants. And they do not feel that they can understand Bible truths more deeply than anyone else. Pp. 20-26

Anointed Christians do not feel that they should spend time only with other anointed ones, as if they were members of a club. They do not try to find other anointed ones so that they can talk about being anointed or meet in groups to study the Bible. Pp. 20-26

Members of Christ’s body are admonished to feed and care for one other; to be one, which can only be done by being aware of their bodily “members”. 1 Cor 12:12-26; Eph 5:29   In the organization, they are scattered “throughout the nations”; broken down and trampled by the elder body, under the direction of the GB; obtaining control over them, as a spiritual “Gentile” army who demands obedience. 2 Chron 23:6,7; Ezek 44:6-9; Matt 24:15

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1+Cor+12%3A12-26%3B+Eph+5%3A29%3B2+Chron+23%3A6%2C7%3B+Ezek+44%3A6-9%3B+Matt+24%3A15&version=NKJV

WT 13 11/15 pp. 21-26 - “The elders are wise Christians who have experience in life. They were appointed as elders because they have shown that they clearly understand the Scriptures and are qualified to teach the truth from the Bible. “
“Elders today have also been appointed by holy spirit. Why can we say that? Because they have been appointed based on requirements written in God’s inspired Word. So when we obey the elders, we show respect for Jehovah and Jesus, the two greatest Shepherds.”

Thus, God’s holy place, HIS appointed priesthood and Temple, is desolated by a “disgusting thing”.  Matt 24:15; Dan 11:31; 12:11  https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matt+24%3A15%3B+Dan+11%3A31%3B+12%3A11&version=NKJV

The enforcement of an elder body to disfellowship, cut off, when an anointed one responds to his Master’s call to obey only him, is further validation of the “Gentile army” – the disgusting thing, standing in the holy place. John 16:2; Isa 66:5; Rev 13:7,15; 11:7  The holy place, where the abomination is found, is not any “holy place” in Satan’s realm, but is among his own people.  Nothing found in Satan’s realm that is considered holy, is holy to God, thus this prophesy of Matt 24:15 has its fulfillment within God’s own people. https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John+16%3A2%3B+Isa+66%3A5%3B+Rev+13%3A7%2C15%3B+11%3A7+&version=NKJV

Further identifying factors show us more of the one holding the measuring line of Zech 2:2 -

-          This man is carrying the voice of God, as the “two witnesses” of Revelation, who are the plumb line, the measuring line of truth that restores the walls of God’s broken and scattered Temple – God’s holy priesthood, who ARE the Temple.  1 Cor 3:16; 1 Pet 2:5; Eph 2:20-22; Rev 6:9,10,11

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1+Cor+3%3A16%3B+1+Pet+2%3A5%3B+Eph+2%3A20-22%3B+Rev+6%3A9%2C10%2C11+&version=NKJV 

-          God stands on this wall, bringing fiery Truth to the priesthood through the trumpeting of the two symbolic witnesses who are assigned to serve the Lord as His messengers, the “eyes of the Lord”. Rev 11:3,4; 1:13; Zech 4:11-14; Matt 178:3; Num 10:2 

-          Each anointed priest is to be a “stone” of truth in the Temple of Christ’s body, in imitation of the Master; the wall that is built represents these teachings of Christ. If the wall needs restoration, it is the teachings that have crumbled; desolation comes to the Temple.  Faith that should be based on the Word of Christ, becomes eroded, as true knowledge from the lips of God’s genuine priesthood, is silenced.  Mal 2:7; Ezek 44:23: Dan 8:12 https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Mal+2%3A7%3B+Ezek+44%3A23%3B+Dan+8%3A12&version=NKJV      

Those who take on the call of the “two witnesses” in this restoration of the Temple, represent the man in Zech 2:2. They are the “capstone” of the Temple, (Zech 4:6,7) the remnant to come out of  “confusion” – Babylon - , and the measuring line of Truth.  This capstone is settled on the cornerstone, Jesus Christ, completing God’s Temple.   John 17:17-19; Ps 119:160; John 14:6; Rom 8:19

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John+17%3A17-19%3B+Ps+119%3A160%3B+John+14%3A6%3B+Rom+8%3A19+&version=NKJV

Zech 4:7 “capstone” -   eh'-ben; from the root of H1129 through the meaning to build; A STONE:— carbuncle, mason, plummet, (chalk-, hail-, head-, sling-) stone(-ny), (divers) weight(-s).

‘Thus says the Lord God: “When I have gathered the house of Israel from the peoples among whom they are scattered, and am hallowed in them in the sight of the Gentiles, then they will dwell in their own land which I gave to My servant Jacob.  Ezek 28:25; (Rev 2:9)

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Rev+2%3A9&version=NKJV

Matt 24:15,16; Isa 44:23; Micah 4:2; Luke 17:32-37; Rom 12:5

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matt+24%3A15%2C16%3B+Isa+44%3A23%3B+Micah+4%3A2%3B+Luke+17%3A32-37%3B+Rom+12%3A5&version=NKJV

So he answered and said to me:

“This is the word of the Lord to Zerubbabel:
‘Not by might nor by power, but by My Spirit,’
Says the Lord of hosts.

‘Who are you, O great mountain? (W 11/1/15 p. 4 par 8)
Before Zerubbabel you shall become a plain!
And he shall bring forth the capstone
With shouts of “Grace, grace to it!”’” 
Zech 4:6,7

First the Wall, Then the Entire Temple

49 minutes ago, Witness said:

its length.”is its width and what isSo I said, “Where are you going?” And he said to me, “To measure Jerusalem, to see what "Then I raised my eyes and looked, and behold, a man with a measuring line in his hand. 

(Jer 23:29 – fire/word)  .’”will be a wall of fire all around her, and I will be the glory in her midstFor I,’ says the Lord, ‘  because of the multitude of men and livestock in it., without walls towns as shall be inhabited Jerusalemwho said to him, “Run, speak to this young man, saying: ‘ the angel who talked with me, going out; and another angel was coming out to meet him, wasAnd there 

Then I raised my eyes and looked, and behold, a man with a measuring line in his hand. So I said, “Where are you going?” And he said to me, “To measure Jerusalem, to see what is its width and what is its length.”

And there was the angel who talked with me, going out; and another angel was coming out to meet him, who said to him, “Run, speak to this young man, saying: ‘Jerusalem shall be inhabited as towns without walls, because of the multitude of men and livestock in it.  For I,’ says the Lord, ‘will be a wall of fire all around her, and I will be the glory in her midst.’”  (Jer 23:29 – fire/word)