Sign in to follow this  

Haredi sect leader arrested in Guatemala over child abuse

After receiving dozens of complaints of child abuse, including whippings, beatings and forced underaged marriage, Guatemalan forces raid 'Lev Tahor' yard; Former cult member: 'They tried to break your independent thought.'

Guatemalan authorities raided a yard belonging to a community of an extreme Haredi faction Tuesday “Lev Tahor” (Pure Heart) in the country’s capital Guatemala City after a number of serious child abuse complaints.

Lev Tahor is an ultra-Orthodox sect comprised of predominantly Israeli Haredi extremists who leave their families behind in Israel as part of a wider boycott of Zionism. The group is widely considered to be a cult for its extreme conduct which adheres to the strict word of Jewish scripture.

Raid in Guatemala

The authorities arrested the leaders of the sect and also took dozens of Israeli children and babies in their possession. Since the raid, Israel has established contacts with Guatemala to coordinate the flight of the children back home.

The cult, which is headed by Shlomo Erez Helbrans, who 10 years ago was recognized as a refugee in Canada, consists of 230 members, 150 of whom are children. Until 2013, they resided in the St. Agate province in Quebec but were forced to move to Ontario.

Two-and-a-half years ago the Canadian authorities thwarted an attempt by the sect to send its adherents to Guatemala after the Canadian courts decreed that some of the children be transferred to foster families due to evidence proving that they were suffering serious abuse.

Raid on Haredi extremist faction

However, the sect succeeded in transferring a number of the children to Guatemala giving rise to a legal battle over the last few years to expel them back to Canada.

According to social services in Quebec and Ontario, they have evidence of instances of abuse including beatings, child marriage and illegal education.

One former member of the faction ‘A.’ described the prevailing culture of brainwashing by the leader. “People would follow us for him and report back to him. He would then take me and others for discussions which lasted for hours. The aim was to break your independent thought and to prove how big he was,” A. recalled.

According to the Guatemalan authorities, “Lev Tahor” said that members of the cult were under national police surveillance.

Evaluations indicate that Helbrans made a decision to secretly transfer the cult to Guatemala after Canadian authorities began waging a legal battle against it and demanded that children be placed in the care of foster care. According to families in the cult in Israel, Helbrans abused the children with clubs, coat hangers and iron rods and would sometimes lock them in basements. Moreover, social services in Quebec received reports that the children were forced to marry as young as 14.

The raid in the group’s yard came at the request of the Israeli government. According to a statement by the Guatemalan authorities, the evidence compiled showed cases of, among other things, of “marriage between children, physical and emotional abuse against members of the community and against children. This evidence raises concerns about the physical and emotional well being of dozens of Israeli children currently residing in Guatemala under the sponsorship of the community.“

The Israeli Ministry of Foreign Affairs, State Attorney’s Office, the Welfare Ministry and the Israel Police have been tracking the group’s development for a number of years and are all in contact with the relevant bodies, both in Canada and Guatemala.

“I hope this will be the end of the nightmare for many people and children,” said A. He added that while he never witnessed any violence during his time in the cult, he heard about serious misdeeds.

“I heard screaming from different houses of the cult members, and eventually I heard members telling about threatening acts such as humiliation, violence and whippings. One mother received orders to hit her child in the presence of others,” the former member recalled.,7340,L-4854943,00.html

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Nicole

Michael John Hewitt was described as a significant risk to young children and a dangerous offender.
      A man who took advantage of his position of trust in a Surrey branch of Jehovah's Witnesses and sexually abused three young girls has been sentenced to 15 years’ imprisonment on Monday, 12 March at Croydon Crown Court.
      Michael John Hewitt, 71 and now of Fremington in Devon, was found guilty of eight counts of indecency with children who were all aged under 16 years at the time.
      He will be on the sex offenders register for life and have a Sexual Harm Prevention Order and Restraining Order served.
      The court heard that in the 1980s Hewitt, who previously lived in Wallington, was a member of the Jehovah's Witness Congregation and abused his victims over several decades.
      Two of Hewitt’s victims were as young as five when the abuse started. He sexually abused all three of them in his and their home addresses, undetected by family members.
      He later sold his home in Surrey and moved to Devon.
      On January 11, 2016, two of the victims reported what had happened to a family member, who then contacted police. Hewitt was later arrested in January 2016 and bailed pending further enquiries.
      Following extensive research by detectives from the Child Abuse and Sexual Offences Command, the third victim was identified and came forward when told Hewitt was under investigation for two similar offences.
      In May 2017, Hewitt was charged with eleven counts of indecency with three girls under 16 years old. He was later acquitted of three offences.
      Whilst sentencing Judge Flahive described Hewitt as a significant risk to young children and a dangerous offender.
      Detective Constable Janet Williams, the investigating officer from the Met's Child Abuse and Sexual Offences Command said: "The victims were abused by Hewitt at a very early age. Only when they were older were they able to understand what Hewitt subjected them to. Hewitt abused his position of trust to exploit the young girls for his own satisfaction.
      "I would like to pay tribute to the victims who had the courage to report these distressing crimes to police. I hope today's conviction gives the victims a measure of comfort and closure."

• By Nicole
      Independent investigators in the United Kingdom are weighing whether to launch a new investigation into the Jehovah’s Witnesses in the U.K. after receiving a “considerable number” of abuse allegations.
      The Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse, or IICSA, a government-sanctioned investigative panel in England and Wales, told The Guardian that it had gotten a “considerable number” of reports from both the public and elected officials about the Jehovah’s Witnesses in the U.K. A spokesperson told the newspaper the panel would “consider calls for a Jehovah’s Witnesses–specific investigation carefully.” 
      It was unclear how many reports the watchdog group had received. When contacted by Newsweek, Jehovah’s Witnesses’ public information office did not immediately comment.
      Kathleen Hallisey, a lawyer who brought charges against the Jehovah’s Witnesses for sexual abuse in 2015, said she suspected there are thousands of such cases in the U.K., The Guardian reported. 
      “The Jehovah’s Witnesses refuse to recognize the issue of child abuse in their organization or to create robust safeguarding procedures to protect children,” she said. “An investigation by IICSA into the Jehovah’s Witnesses is an opportunity for the inquiry to effect real change in an organization that refuses to shine a light on child abuse and protect children.”
      News of the possible investigation comes weeks after the nonprofit religious transparency organization Faithleaks leaked 33 letters and internal documents revealing a pattern of sexual abuse by one Jehovah’s Witness member, and the lengths the church went to cover up the scandal. 
      Those documents detail communications among church leaders and several legal entities—collectively known as Watchtower—between 1999 and 2012. In one letterto Watchtower dated November 14, 1999, the Palmer Congregation of Jehovah’s Witnesses from Brimfield, Massachusetts, said it had reviewed claims by two women who alleged their father sexually abused them as children. The group found those claims to be true. 
      “Our impression upon speaking with both girls was similar. That they are both quite rational. It certainly appears that these were real events,” the letter said. 
      In that case, church leaders pressured one of the accusers not to report the abuse to police. Years later, the church held an in-house trial and briefly excommunicated the father. 
      That victim was not the only person pressured to remain silent. 
      In the U.K., several alleged victims had come forward with similar claims in November 2017, according to The Telegraph. 
      “Frankly, I would equate this to a scandal and a cover-up akin to the Catholic Church,” Hallisey told The Telegraph at the time.
      I cannot understand why there is only partial information concerning the Jehovah's Witnesses and Watchtower Society Child Abuse accusations from around the Earth. I have just put a status on my FB page saying that : The one thing I have learnt in life is, that I don't know the truth about anything".  The reason for this is that there is always some doubt about things read 'online'. Are they true ? Does one want them to be true? Are my opinions correct?   So with that in mind I will continue with the information I 'have read online'. 
      We all know that Child Abuse and Sexual Abuse accusations are, or appear to be 'in fashion' right now. In politics, in entertainment, and in religion. But Jehovah's Witnesses claim to be 'no part of the world', that is the 'world' that belongs to Satan the Devil. So it would come as a surprise then that from top to bottom the JW's are being accused of Child Abuse Earthwide. 
      What I've noted so far : The Australian Royal Commission did a three year investigation into the JW org, most of which is available online to read. They found that since 1950 there were 1006 accusations of Child Abuse within the Australian branch of Jehovah's Witnesses, none of which were reported to the police or secular authorities........... In Canada there have been large court cases in Quebec and Ontario againse JW org..... A $66 million lawsuit against the religion's leadership is taking place.....  In the Netherlands 'Reclaimed Voices' foundation have set up emergency phone lines and have put out advertisements concerning victims of abuse within the JW org there. The 'hotline' had received 80 replies as of December 28th 2017..... In the UK (where I am) the Charity Commision set up an inquiry into the UK branch of Jehovah's Witnesses regarding child abuse / sexual abuse. I think this started with the Manchester New Molton congregation in 2014. The Charity Commision also set up an inquiry into the Watchtower Soc (WTBTS) here in the UK. In Feb 2016. The Org went to court to try to block the investigations but failed. A former elder from South Wales said there was instructions to elders to destroy all documents regarding child abuse. There seemed to be a cost to the Org of over £1 million which I presume is court fines and payouts. 
      Then of course we have the USA. In 2014 a $10.5 million lawsuit against JW Org by Valicia Alston and others. In 2015 the Candace Conti case against Jonathan Kendrick. And in April 2016 the Watchtower Soc' remained defiant in refusing to hand over documents about the Child Abuse in the USA branch of the JW Org.  Now it seems (and remember I'm only going on what I've read) that the JW Org in USA sent out a letter in 1997, to all elders of congregations in the USA. The letter was a direct instruction to the elders to send in ALL documents and information concerning accusations of Child Abuse / Sexual abuse both current and passed. This was to be an ongoing instruction and all information was to be sent in special blue envelopes to Brooklyn. Now there are approx' 14,000 congregations in the USA, and the time period from 1997 to 2017 is of course 20 years. So it would seem that the Governing Body have 20 years worth of accusations concerning Child Abuse and Sexual abuse with in it's USA congregations. However, despite court action and direct instruction to the JW Org / Watchtower Soc', the W/T and JW Org still refuse to hand over the documents to the High court. In November 2017 a High court of California fined the JW Org / WT Soc'  $4,000 per day for not handing over the documents, and it seems the cost so far to the Org / WT is more than           $2 million. I cannot find out if any of this money has been paid or is still owing. 
      One other point that I found interesting (providing it's true of course) is that the Governing Body has deliberately separated the JW Org, known as the Christian Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses, from the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society. Each of these now has its own Legal Department. The purpose of this is to slow down all court proceedings because the Legal Dept from one has to write to the Legal Dept of the other for information, then the legal Dept of the other refuses such information etc. This is what caused the Supreme Court of California to impose the heavy fines on the Org. Basically the court got fed up with the 'clowning around of the JW Org.  
      So to sum up: It seems that many countries, Australia, Canada, the Netherlands, UK and USA, have found and proved many cases of child abuse / sexual abuse within the Jehovah's Witnesses and Watchtower Society. But what makes this worse is that the Governing Body of the Org' is deliberately withholding  the information about pedophiles within its ranks. Add to this that elders of congregations Earthwide are instructed not to inform their congregations about pedophiles within their congregation. And, congregation members are told not to report child abuse / sexual abuse within the congregations, to the Police or outside secular organisations. On top of this victims are not believed, because the Governing Body has made a rule that says there must be two witnesses to any accusation of abuse, which of course will not happen in the case of Child abuse or Sexual abuse.
      About me : I was one of Jehovah's Witnesses until about a month ago.  After doing approx three months research online my conscience would no longer allow me to remain within the Organisation. How could I encourage other people to join an Organisation that allows Child Abuse /Sexual Abuse to continue unreported and unpunished within its ranks. There could be a pedophile within the congregation that I was part of, I would never know, because the Elders would keep it secret.... However, I do believe in God, whether His name is Jehovah, Yahweh or something else, and I am keeping my mind open as to how I will find the 'truth' of God's requirements. 
      What i am hoping for is that some BIG media source will bring all the information together concerning all the Child Abuse / Sexual Abuse accusations against the Jehovah's Witnesses Org' and the Watchtower Soc' Earthwide, so that all info' is readily available to everyone. At the moment it all seems so 'bitty' and not organised. Yes there is info' online, but are the sources trustworthy. What is needed is a neutral unemotional factual report, please. 
    • By Srecko Sostar
      "Some 80 reports of sexual abuse involving the Jehovah’s Witnesses community have been made over the past month, Trouw said on Thursday.
      Justice minister Sander Dekker has already said that the (JW)church should look to the example of the Catholic church to dealing with complaints about sexual abuse."
      "We are going to study the measures of the Catholic Church."
      - Michel van Hilten, spokesman Jehovah's Witnesses

source; Dozens come forward to report abuse by Jehovah’s Witnesses

• Welcome To Our Community

The most creative and intelligent people on planet Earth hang out on this forum. Be ready to have your points of view challenged and refined.

We also want others to share your posts to ALL the social media outlets not just our own.

You need to be registered and logged in to get full access and to add content yourself. 

• Topics

• The point is (sigh....) that while anthropologists called them "humans" (Homo Erectus, Homo Sapiens, etc. ...) If God only considered pre-Adamic humanoid animals  .. then they would be considered by God as "pre-humans" and not as humans .... the first humans having a capacity for true spirituality .... and the first humans to have the opportunity to live forever, and never die, STARTED with Adam and Eve. We have apes and chimpanzees closely approximating humanoids ... and although they can learn about 300 words and sign language in complete sentences ... they are not humans, and my best guess have no theocratic potential. It's like having a junk yard full of used cars that never had street legal registration documents ... yes... they are fully functional cars... but without documentation ... they are not allowed the privileges of fully documented and licenses cars. You cannot with any semblance of intellectual integrity ignore thousands of TONS of hard evidence of prehistoric hominids ... so how does it all fit in? I have given this years of thought, and this is what I came up with. To say that a half million years (or whatever the number really is...) of humanoid fossils do not exist is as intellectually dishonest as saying with a straight face that Dinosaurs never existed. With my concept of a created "Homo Theocraticus" (Adam and Eve), you can have your cake, and eat it too, without being intellectually dishonest! It is only a theory, but it fits BOTH the other two. There is a LOT more, but you get the basic idea.    
    • Honestly, if we start reasoning that God created pre-Adam humans, wouldn't it make more sense to throw out the whole book as inspired by God? Because at that point we have strayed so far from the Bible's narrative.
    • Security researchers have discovered a new piece of malware that’s so sophisticated that it went undetected for six years. The so-called Slingshot malware was first spotted by researchers at Kaspersky Lab. Instead of infecting a computer, Slingshot embeds itself into a network’s router. And it’s so advanced that researchers thoroughly believe it was developed by a state government or agency. Slingshot has been active since at least 2012, but managed to go unnoticed. That’s because, according to Kaspersky, the malware is extremely sophisticated and has a variety of ways to avoid detection. When forensic tools are active, for example, Slingshot is intelligent enough to shut down certain components. The malware was most likely developed for spying purposes. It can basically steal any kind of data it wants, from network traffic, keystrokes and passwords to screenshots and even data pulled from a connected USB device. Once it infects a router, Slingshot is able to deploy “huge and powerful” modules on a target computer. Those modules will then work together to send data to the attacker. “Slingshot is very complex, and the developers behind it have clearly spent a great deal of time and money on its creation,” researchers wrote. “Its infection vector is remarkable — and, to the best of our knowledge, unique.” Kaspersky Labs still doesn’t know how the router actually compromises a system, either. Researchers know that it takes advantage of the router’s management software, and can exist in “several” instances. The majority of compromised computers were located in Kenya and Yemen, but the researchers detected infected systems in Afghanistan, Libya, Congo, Jordan, Turkey, Iraq, Sudan, Somalia and Tanzania. Targets include individuals, governments and institutional systems. Kaspersky Labs noted that the malware’s debug messages were written in perfect English. That could hint that its creators spoke that language fluently. As Engadget points out, it’s possible that the malware was developed by one of the countries belonging to the Five Eyes intelligence alliance — Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the UK or the US — to keep an eye on nations with significant terrorist activity. But that’s speculation at this point. It’s not clear how many computers total are affected by Slingshot. But, thankfully, impacted routers will be fixed with a software update.
    • We’ve covered far too many reports of battery overheating in the past, incidents in which mobile phone batteries have either burned, exploded, or caused physical damage as the result of their apparent malfunction. Nobody wants to deal with the issue of an overheating battery, not you, not me, and certainly not the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), who in the past has been forced to issue broad and far-reaching recalls for devices like Samsung’s Galaxy Note 7, which, back in 2016, was determined to be a ticking time bomb due to the faulty battery design Samsung employed within them. This week the CPSC issued its latest warning, cautioning consumers against continuing to use certain models of AmazonBasics-branded battery packs after it was reported that Amazon recalled more than 260,000 of them. The recall covers a total of six AmazonBasics battery pack models after 53+ instances of “overheating” were reported in the United States. Among those who reported overheating issues, one user reported experiencing “chemical burns,” and another four users reported cases of property damage. “The power bank’s battery can overheat and ignite, posing fire and burn hazards,” CPSC said in its official statement, adding that “Consumers should immediately unplug and stop using the recalled power banks and contact Amazon for instructions on how to return the unit and receive a full refund.” The six AmazonBasics models being recalled are: 2,000 mAh with microUSB cable 3,000 mAh with microUSB cable 3,000 mAh 5,600 mAh 10,000 mAh 16,100 mAh If you have in your possession one of the aforementioned battery models, it’s recommended that you stop using it immediately and get ahold of Amazon to inquire about receiving a refund, as indicated. To reach the e-commerce giant directly by phone, customers can call 855-215-5134 between 8:00 am and 5:00 pm Eastern Time, Monday through Saturday. Alternatively, users can process their return online via Amazon’s official website,and your refund will be issued just as soon as the company receives the faulty battery you send back to them.
    • When Apple unveiled its latest iPhone flagships back in September 2017, the company flaunted a number of their most impressive, and highly-anticipated, features — among the most significant, and long overdue, being their ability to juice up sans the cord via the universal Qi wireless charging standard. And while Apple’s self-branded wireless charging accessory, AirPower, should be arriving on the scene literally any day now, the same Qi technology which enables the feature on these aforementioned iPhone models has been available for months now via third-party vendors. We had plenty of reason to believe that Apple’s implementation of wireless charging would be superior to the technology employed by its rivals like Samsung — however, new evidence which surfaced this week appears to tell a slightly different tale. iPhone Battery Basics According to Apple, iPhone’s “battery is designed to retain up to 80% of its original capacity at 500 complete charge cycles” beyond which point the Li-Ion battery pack is considered worn and should be showing signs of degradation. Each user’s personal experience with their batteries will vary depending on factors including how often they use their iPhone and ultimately how often it requires a power-up. As a general rule of thumb, users should know that as their battery ages it won’t last as long as it did fresh out of the box, and so your recharge frequency is going to increase, accordingly. Does Wireless Charging Damage iPhone Batteries? Back in January, ZDNet blogger Adrian Kingsley-Hughes “became suspicious” that charging his iPhone wirelessly “wouldn’t be good for the long-term health” of his battery, noting how after just four months of ownership his device had reached 90 recharge cycles and just six weeks later it reached 135 cycles. Utilizing the macOS-based iPhone battery monitoring app, CoconutBattery, Kingsley-Hughes suggested that at this rate he expects to hit 150 charge cycles by the six-month mark. “That means that in 18 months I should be at 450 recharge cycles, and will break the 500 mark after another two months,” he said. He previously “would have expected an iPhone to make it closer to the 36-month/three-year mark before hitting the 500 recharge cycle.” Kingsley-Hughes conceded that he considers himself an iPhone power user and that when he’s not using the device it’s generally left on the wireless charger for convenience. Previously, he would have plugged a Lightning cable into it like the rest of us. In other words, his battery isn’t getting a break and appears to be burning through recharge cycles at a much faster rate due to switching from the cable to a wireless charger. “I’m switching back to cable charging” he continued, adding that “the idea that my battery could be trash in under two years is frankly worrying.” If you’re an iPhone 8, 8 Plus or iPhone X user who utilizes wireless charging like Kingsley-Hughes, you may want to consider switching back to the standard Lightning cable, at least to experiment a bit and see whether you’re encountering the same issues.
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member