HollyW

• Views 1.3k
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Jehovah gave his son by sending him to earth to die as a ransom for mankind. See what the angels said about the event: (Luke 2:10-14) . . .. 11 For today there was born to you in David’s city a s

Even if we are speaking only of the history of the world, and therefore focusing on interaction with humans, I would include not just Jesus birth, but his life. I had a feeling that this is what Melin

Actually when I first saw your question I thought of the birth of the kingdom in heaven and I also thought about the great tribulation which Jesus said nothing would be like it in the future and nothi

*** w12 10/1 p. 8 Corruption Will End! *** .... Such people stand to benefit from God’s greatest act of love, as we read at John 3:16: “God loved the world so much that he gave his only-begotten Son, in order that everyone exercising faith in him might not be destroyed but have everlasting life.” (Provided you are speaking of past events.)

Jehovah gave his son by sending him to earth to die as a ransom for mankind.

See what the angels said about the event: (Luke 2:10-14) . . .. 11 For today there was born to you in David’s city a savior, who is Christ the Lord. 12 And this is a sign for you: You will find an infant wrapped in strips of cloth and lying in a manger.” 13 Suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly army, praising God and saying: 14 “Glory in the heights above to God, and on earth peace among men of goodwill.”  

As we all know Jesus proved faithful unto death and provided the ranson for us. In doing this he carried out God's greatest act of love as quoted above in the Watchtower: "Such people stand to benefit from God’s greatest act of love, as we read at John 3:16: “God loved the world so much that he gave his only-begotten Son, in order that everyone exercising faith in him might not be destroyed but have everlasting life.”                                                  (See Gal 4:4; John 1:29; Matt 20:28)

1 hour ago, Melinda Mills said:

See what the angels said about the event: (Luke 2:10-14) . . .. 11 For today there was born to you in David’s city a savior, who is Christ the Lord. 12 And this is a sign for you: You will find an infant wrapped in strips of cloth and lying in a manger.” 13 Suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly army, praising God and saying: 14 “Glory in the heights above to God, and on earth peace among men of goodwill.”  

As we all know Jesus proved faithful unto death and provided the ranson for us. In doing this he carried out God's greatest act of love as quoted above in the Watchtower: "Such people stand to benefit from God’s greatest act of love, as we read at John 3:16: “God loved the world so much that he gave his only-begotten Son, in order that everyone exercising faith in him might not be destroyed but have everlasting life.”                                                  (See Gal 4:4; John 1:29; Matt 20:28)

If you're saying the greatest event to occur in the history of the world is the birth of Jesus, I agree with you.

Just to clarify, the question wasn't what  the greatest act of love is but the greatest event. As you posted about this event, heaven rejoicing, from Luke 2:13 "And suddenly there appeared with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God"

Thanks for your replies.

1 hour ago, HollyW said:

If you're saying the greatest event to occur in the history of the world is the birth of Jesus, I agree with you.

Even if we are speaking only of the history of the world, and therefore focusing on interaction with humans, I would include not just Jesus birth, but his life. I had a feeling that this is what Melinda meant when she included both his birth and death as God's gift. If I had to choose between his birth and his death as separate events, I would choose Jesus' death as the greatest, even if his birth was the happiest. But I notice that the book of Hebrews includes not just those events, but includes his birth, his preaching, his miracles, his death, his resurrection and his being seated at God's right hand as the greatest "event." In some ways his entire life was 'God speaking to us by means of a Son.' Jehovah had a way to communicate "directly" with us in spite of the huge chasm between God's holiness and our unworthiness. 

Sorry about the length:

(Hebrews 1:1-2:4) 1 Long ago God spoke to our forefathers by means of the prophets on many occasions and in many ways. 2 Now at the end of these days he has spoken to us by means of a Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom he made the systems of things. 3 He is the reflection of God’s glory and the exact representation of his very being, and he sustains all things by the word of his power. And after he had made a purification for our sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high. 4 So he has become better than the angels to the extent that he has inherited a name more excellent than theirs. 5 For example, to which one of the angels did God ever say: “You are my son; today I have become your father”? And again: “I will become his father, and he will become my son”? 6 But when he again brings his Firstborn into the inhabited earth, he says: “And let all of God’s angels do obeisance to him.” 7 Also, he says about the angels: “He makes his angels spirits, and his ministers a flame of fire.” 8 But about the Son, he says: “God is your throne forever and ever, and the scepter of your Kingdom is the scepter of uprightness. 9 You loved righteousness, and you hated lawlessness. That is why God, your God, anointed you with the oil of exultation more than your companions.” 10 And: “At the beginning, O Lord, you laid the foundations of the earth, and the heavens are the works of your hands. 11 They will perish, but you will remain; and just like a garment, they will all wear out, 12 and you will wrap them up just as a cloak, as a garment, and they will be changed. But you are the same, and your years will never come to an end.” 13 But about which of the angels has he ever said: “Sit at my right hand until I place your enemies as a stool for your feet”? 14 Are they not all spirits for holy service, sent out to minister for those who are going to inherit salvation? 2 That is why it is necessary for us to pay more than the usual attention to the things we have heard, so that we never drift away. 2 For if the word spoken through angels proved to be sure, and every transgression and disobedient act received a punishment in harmony with justice, 3 how will we escape if we have neglected so great a salvation? For it began to be spoken through our Lord and was verified for us by those who heard him, 4 while God joined in bearing witness with signs and wonders and various powerful works and with the holy spirit distributed according to his will.

And, by the way, congratulations on one of the best questions the forum has had so far!

14 hours ago, JW Insider said:

Even if we are speaking only of the history of the world, and therefore focusing on interaction with humans, I would include not just Jesus birth, but his life. I had a feeling that this is what Melinda meant when she included both his birth and death as God's gift. If I had to choose between his birth and his death as separate events, I would choose Jesus' death as the greatest, even if his birth was the happiest. But I notice that the book of Hebrews includes not just those events, but includes his birth, his preaching, his miracles, his death, his resurrection and his being seated at God's right hand as the greatest "event." In some ways his entire life was 'God speaking to us by means of a Son.' Jehovah had a way to communicate "directly" with us in spite of the huge chasm between God's holiness and our unworthiness. 

I'm glad you appreciated the question and thank you for your very fine reply.

While I do agree with both you and Melinda, I was expecting a much different answer for the one event JWs believe is the greatest event ever to occur in the history of the world.  I was not expecting you would say Jesus' birth or death so it was a pleasant surprise to find the replies on here tending toward those events.

Thank you to all who have participated.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/16/2016 at 6:31 AM, HollyW said:

What event do Jehovah's Witnesses believe is the greatest event ever to occur in the history of the world?

On 9/16/2016 at 2:20 PM, Melinda Mills said:

On 9/16/2016 at 5:26 PM, JW Insider said:

Even if we are speaking only of the history of the world, and therefore focusing on interaction with humans, I would include not just Jesus birth, but his life.

In view of what you are studying in "God's Kingdom Rules" this week.........

2 What about the greatest event ever to occur in the history of the world? That event has touched millions of lives. Yet, it took place out of human view. We refer, of course, to the birth in heaven of God's Kingdom, the long promised Messianic government that will soon bring this whole world system to its end.

......you can see why I was pleasantly surprised by your replies.

On 9/17/2016 at 7:53 AM, HollyW said:

While I do agree with both you and Melinda, I was expecting a much different answer for the one event JWs believe is the greatest event ever to occur in the history of the world.  I was not expecting you would say Jesus' birth or death so it was a pleasant surprise to find the replies on here tending toward those events.

Do either of you feel you should revise your initial reply?

5 minutes ago, JW Insider said:

No!

[speaking only for myself, of course!]

Thanks (that was fast!!)...... will your answer be the same during the study when question 1,2 is asked? ;) 

I, 2. What was the greatest event ever to occur in world history, and why is it not surprising that it went unseen by human eyes?

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.