• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Nicole

Planes carry Cubans north, ending long standstill in Central America

Nicole    1,311

The last direct flight carrying Cuban migrants out of Costa Rica arrived in Mexico on Tuesday, ending an effort to transport Cubans who have been stranded in Central America since mid-November.

Nearly 8,000 Cuban migrants had been stuck in Costa Rica after Nicaragua, a Cuban ally, began denying them entry. As the flow of migrants began to bottleneck at the border of Nicaragua, Costa Rica in turn closed its border to new arrivals, forcing additional migrants to seek shelter in neighboring Panama.

Panama and Costa Rica agreed on a solution to fly the migrants over Nicaragua to various cities in Mexico and El Salvador starting in January, from where they could continue north until they reached their destination: the U.S. border.

“This has been a successful operation, which included organizing nine flights in a period of three weeks and which was made possible thanks to exceptional measures of support and collaboration on the part of Mexico, Panama and governments of the Latin American region for humanitarian reasons and from a viewpoint of shared responsibility,” Panamanian Vice President and Foreign Minister Isabel De Saint Malo de Alvarado said Friday in a statement.

Although most migrants were able to continue on their journey, all arrivals from Cuba after the end of the flight operation on March 8 have been left to comply with Panama’s standard immigration laws, according to the Latin American Herald.

A small number of Cubans are still in Costa Rica as well, said Costa Rican President Luis Guillermo Solís, unable to make the journey north for various reasons, according to Agence France-Presse.

The process has undeniably had its share of challenges, from lost passports to missing information and logistical setbacks. Tired of waiting in the shelters, approximately 2,985 migrants chose to take their chances with immigrant smugglers (although some reportsestimate the number is closer to 4,000).

According to Costa Rican news source Tico Times, the Solís administration has sought to highlight Costa Rica’s respect for human rights after having helped cause the migration crisis in the first place. The country’s handling of the situation has been praised, and with good reason; Costa Rica issued 7,800 temporary transit visas to the Cubans in just four months, and sheltered 5,500 migrants in 44 locations across the country. These efforts were aided by dozens of families, community groups and religious organizations that helped provide both shelter and food.

“We’ve never had such a large number of migrants together at one time,” President Solís told Tico Times on Friday morning, as one of the last planes carrying Cuban migrants left for Mexico. “Look how they’re leaving – they’re leaving happy and tranquil, thanking the people of Costa Rica.”

The migration of Cubans to the United States has gathered speed in the past few years, with the renewal of diplomatic ties between the two countries. Many Cubans fear that the 1961 Cuban Adjustment Act will be eliminated, and with it, the opportunity to obtain residency in the U.S.

Source: 

Hello guest!

Hello guest!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By TheWorldNewsOrg

via
      Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. World News
    • By The Librarian
      Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content.

Visiting Bethel in Cuba
      Via
    • By Nicole

Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. LUTZ — In a way, credit for the opening of one of the Tampa area's newest Cuban restaurants belongs to Fidel Castro.
      If not for the late Cuban president, Jose "Pepe" Diaz said, he might never have become a chef or opened La Yuma Cuban Cuisine in Lutz.
      "He's being ironic," said his daughter and restaurant co-owner Thania Clevenger.
      Diaz, 76, learned his trade as a prison cook in Cuba after he was jailed for speaking out against communism.
      Calling what he did "cooking" may be a stretch, though.
      The fare was usually bland Russian meat from a can and all Diaz had for seasoning was paprika, which he overused.
      "They called me Paprika Pepe," Diaz said, with his daughter translating.
      Still, he said, when he eventually was released from prison and moved to Madrid, Spain, he landed a job as a chef at a five-star restaurant — based on his claim he had years of cooking experience.
      On his first day, he was given a filet to prepare. The head chef quickly realized he had embellished his culinary experience.
      "The chef said you have a lot of courage," said family friend and La Yuma employee Juvenal Alfonso, 33, conveying Diaz's recollections. "So, he taught him to be a chef."
      A year later Diaz made his way to Miami. There, he met his wife Tania, 61, who fled Cuba in 1970.
      Together, they would go on to operate restaurants in Miami and Key West before moving to Lutz this year to partner with their daughter on La Yuma, a name Cubans use for the United States. The business at 16411 N Florida Ave. opened in early March.
      "This restaurant is the representation of the American dream," said daughter Clevenger, 33, a Tampa attorney. "That's what we are."
      Diaz, born and raised in the town of Yaguajay in central Cuba, originally fought for Castro against Cuban President Fulgencio Batista, who ruled the island through fear and the military.
      Among those he met in battle, Diaz said, were Camilo Cienfuegos and Ernesto "Che" Guevara, two of the Cuban Revolution's top leaders.
      "I hated Batista," Diaz said. "I hated his exploitation of the villages, his robbery, his theft, the murder."
      Castro, he explained, portrayed himself as anti-Batista, someone who cared about bringing freedom to Cuba.
      But within a year after revolutionary leaders declared victory Jan. 1, 1959, he realized Cuba was not the country he fought to create. He began publicly denouncing the new government.
      In 1963, Diaz, then a civil engineering student, was arrested.
      "They said he was a danger to the government," Clevenger said.
      He spent a year in a prison in Sancti Spiritus before he was transferred to an agricultural labor camp in Camaguey.
      He joined others deemed anti-revolutionary or considered by the government to be socially abnormal. Most cut sugarcane for 10 to 12 hours a day, seven days a week. They had no showers, bathrooms or clean drinking water.
      Jehovah's Witnesses and homosexuals were treated the worst, Diaz said.
      He was given the option of kitchen duty or the fields. The choice saved his life.
      "There were a lot of things I saw at those camps that are hard to talk about," Diaz said. "A lot of people died."
      He was released after four years and told to leave Cuba. But as he waited for a visa, he had to work in the fields under government supervision to be sure he did not support the dissident movement.
      Five years later, in 1972, he moved to Spain.
      Now working in suburban Lutz, he finds the culture much dfferent from the hustle and bustle of South Florida. But he is happy to be here, working with his daughter, and hopes his restaurant brings a Cuban flare to the area.
      "This is a good place," he said. "I respect it and everyone treats me with respect."

• By Kurt

Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. February 15, 2017
      HAVANA TIMES — Organoponicos or urban organic farms in Cuba are a style of farming that can be used to produce vegetables, condiments, various crops and fruits. Tania Reyes Ferro, a 45 year old Cuban lady, is one of the few women who is in charge of an organoponico in the municipality of Candelaria. Her dedication and passion for her work give her the strength to continue on as a farmer.
      HT: Having an organoponico is good for your financial and food situation. What disadvantages are there to working the land?
      Tania Reyes: I studied agriculture but I never practiced it. I never thought that after all these years I would have a piece of land to cultivate. Working the land is hard. I’ve had problems with my cervix, backbone, waist, lower abdomen. I’ve been diagnosed with generalized osteoarthritis; when I suffer an attack and I can’t go to the fields, my children help me cook and do other chores. Whatever I collect is enough for us to eat at home. We use the money we get from selling extras to buy rakes, hoes, we don’t have the farm implements we need to do more work.
      HT: How much do you have to give to the State for farming?
      TR: We don’t produce very much on my plot, it’s just a hectare which I’ve divided into the garden and fruit trees.  As the plot is very small, the only thing I have to do is give fresh condiments, vegetables and fruit to the maternity center and the Jose Luis Tacende primary school for disabled children. I pay a social contribution to the cooperative I belong to.

Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. HT: Do you use any chemicals on your crops?
      TR: No, there are many alternatives to getting rid of pests. For example, we collect seeds and leaves from the Neem Tree, which is a pesticide, we mash them up and let it set so we can fumigate the next day. We also use ashes of a fire, none of these products are harmful to our health, plants grow better and pests are kept under control using natural products.  I have planted Mexican Marigolds because of their different colors and its unpleasant smell which keeps bad insects away so they don’t attack the plants; sunflowers, basil, millet and rosemary are all natural repellents, I also use blue, yellow and white traps.
      HT: I imagine it’s hard to get a hold of seeds.
      TR: There is a store that sells them here but they don’t have them a lot of the time or they are bad quality. I’m trying to leave some of my plants which give me seeds like lettuce and runner beans for example. I have 17 crops, six which are currently in production: moringa, tomatoes, lettuce, parsley, oregano, leeks. Sweet potato, corn, cassava, caimito and citrus fruits are growing at the moment.

Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. HT: How long do you work in the fields?
      TR: I work from very early in the morning until 9 AM; and then from 5 PM until it gets dark. My father, brother and children all help me out regularly although I’m the one who does most of the work. I have a lot of love for the earth, plants are living beings and we need to water and care for them. It’s a habit and necessity for me.
      HT: Does the cooperative help you create optimum working conditions?
      TR: There aren’t decent conditions for working the land. When my husband left for the United States, I had to face the cruel and hard reality of my situation: I was alone. Everything went downhill from there. My brother spoke to me and told me that we couldn’t lose this piece of land, marabu plants were beginning to take over it. I fell into a severe depression which lasted several months; I wasn’t interested in what had been planted or the future of this land. Between all of us, we began to fix the fence because this was at the time that Hurricanes Gustav and Ike hit and we were left with nothing. We fixed the planting beds, we weeded. Two of my children decided to work with me but they didn’t see any short-term results, you need a lot of patience to harvest. It doesn’t give us enough to get by, just to eat. If you don’t work this land they can take it away from you, it’s in usufruct, it used to be idle land before.
      HT: You had studied agricuture, but there are some things which you forget, where do you get your information from?
      TR: I like talking to old people a lot, they haven’t studied very much but they have a lot of experience in farming. They plant using the moon phases, they know when to cut sweet potatoes, how far you need to sow one plant from another. I am also looking for courses, I like to know why you have to sow chicory 90 cm away from the other plant and am not satisfied with a: that’s how all of them are planted.

Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. HT: There is an agro-market not far from your house which sells the same products you harvest. Does it harm your business?
      TR: I try to sell for a little less than agro-market prices. Customers like organic crops, what comes directly out of the earth and doesn’t have chemicals. People know me and know that I am very helpful and that I’m not expensive. Everything I sow has grown under the sun. The organoponico used to have a semi-protected cover* which used to regulate the sun’s rays, but when we were hit by the hurricanes, we lost everything. Our crops all grow directly under the sun and that’s why they need a lot of watering.
      HT: What do you do in your spare time?
      TR: I go to the church twice a week; I’m a Jehovah’s Witness. This faith and trust I have in God is what has helped me to persevere. I go to the fields a lot of the time and ask him to give me strength to finish off this work because it doesn’t only depend on me, there’s a lot of work to do and when I get home I have to keep on doing chores here and there. Thank god for my children who help me out a lot. My sons are 27, 23 and 19 years old and my daughter is 16. But I do everything; I don’t believe there is anything that a woman can’t do.

• By Nicole
      Los compañeros de la víctima del incendio no podían reprimir su dolor por la pérdida de «un buen hombre». Recuerdan que Tomás -no sabían cuál era su apellido- había nacido en Cuba y que llegó a Andoain hace «unos tres años» procedente de Barcelona. «No tenemos muchos datos sobre su biografía. Recuerdo que en una ocasión me dijo que se había marchado de su país en una balsa. Creo que llegó a Estados Unidos, pero tampoco lo puede afirmar», relataron.
      Puede que no conozcan sus antecedentes, pero todos coinciden en señalar que era una excelente persona. «Estaba dispuesta a echar una mano. Cuando venía con algo de comida la solía compartir. Y siempre huía de los conflictos. Cuando a veces discutíamos con la persona que ha provocado el incendio, solía tratar de apaciguar los ánimos». 
      La víctima era miembro de los Testigos de Jehová. «A Tomás le habían dejado una casa para vivir pero prefería estar con nosotros. Allí se sentía muy solo».

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Lyniah Mullan
    Newest Member
    Lyniah Mullan

Total Topics
    Total Posts