The World News Media

JW.org Uniform for Women

The Librarian

´ço.PNG

I've noticed a few photos recently of JW women all donning some sort of uniform similar to how airline stewardesses (I should say flight attendants) are typically dressed.

She looks fine above according to today's dress standard. I would call this a modern business look. However would it be wrong for her to wear pants below?

The suit jacket she is wearing (obviously made for a woman) would have been denounced as a woman dressing in men's clothes years ago.

Have our standards changed?

This brings up many questions about fashion standards and whether all JW's should sport an official uniform or not?

Would Jesus have wanted his apostles to be dressed in a uniform?

Some might think I am being too picky talking about such issues. However I was raised with very strict JW dress guidelines so I am used to always questioning the appropriateness of apparel.

Just some quick thoughts...

• Views 5.7k
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've noticed a few photos recently of JW women all donning some sort of uniform similar to how airline stewardesses (I should say flight attendants) are typically dressed. She looks fine above ac

Also an interesting thought from "Our Christian Life and Ministry" this week; the Bible study part is on Bible Students seeing the need to improve dress and grooming..............it would appear that

Brasilia, Brazil

Posted Images

I guess Jesus style of dress would be considered womanly in many countries today.  Men can wear robes in some countries or pants.  I wonder why it's frowned upon for women to do the same as long as it's modest wear?  I guess we have to get with the program kicking and screaming along the way.  I'm still baffled by the term "true religion"!?  Quite shocking coming from those who considered religion strictly a bad word.

Also an interesting thought from "Our Christian Life and Ministry" this week; the Bible study part is on Bible Students seeing the need to improve dress and grooming..............it would appear that not only Bible students need this encouragement.........maybe some of the Brothers and Sisters need this encouragement as well!!!

On 10/24/2016 at 6:46 PM, The Librarian said:

´ço.PNG

"The suit jacket she is wearing (obviously made for a woman) would have been denounced as a woman dressing in men's clothes years ago."

You're wrong- a jacket like that would never be "denounced as a woman dressing in men's clothes". Check out Katherine Hepburn in the '40s. Sisters have been wearing feminine cut jackets like that for decades.

"Have our standards changed?"

No. She's all covered up. The outfit is modest. 

"This brings up many questions about fashion standards and whether all JW's should sport an official uniform or not?"

It brings up ZERO questions. We dress appropriately for the situation. Always have, always will.

"Would Jesus have wanted his apostles to be dressed in a uniform?"

To conform with the Mosaic law, they all had to wear fringed garments with a blue thread. Some might call that a "uniform".

"Some might think I am being too picky talking about such issues. However I was raised with very strict JW dress guidelines so I am used to always questioning the appropriateness of apparel."

Actually some might think there are more important issues in the world than evaluating sisters wearing modest clothing. Business attire in a business environment. As far as the "strict JW dress guidelines", the prairie dresses went out in the 1800's. Sisters (and brothers) have ALWAYS worn the same attire that well-dressed, conservative non-believers wear. Check out the old photos. They're dressed the same as anyone else in that era.

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.