jw.org

• Views 7.6k
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I do not agree with this statement offered above - it is words of a man.  I have not seen a statement in the bible which sAys that we should avoid those at war with themselves.  HOw does one define th

Be careful who you            associate with...people  at war with themselves  will always cause collateral  damage in the lives of  those around them..... 4 "I do not associate  with d

Or, from a different perspective . . . Be careful who you associate with. Those who are at war with themselves have a a better appreciation and empathy for those around them. (Less chance of collatera

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, Bible Speaks said:

"I do not associate 
with deceitful men,
And I avoid those who 
hide what they are."
        (Psalm 26:4)

The thing is, collateral damage is unintentional, so it doesn't really apply to deceitful men who hide who they are. Perhaps this would be more apt? : " Do not be misled. Bad associations spoil useful habits" 1 Cor 15:33 and "The one walking with the wise will become wise, But the one who has dealings with the stupid (who war with themselves) will fare badly". Proverbs 13:20. Just my two cents.

Or, from a different perspective . . . Be careful who you associate with. Those who are at war with themselves have a a better appreciation and empathy for those around them. (Less chance of collateral damage.)

(Romans 7:22-25) 22 I really delight in the law of God according to the man I am within, 23 but I see in my body another law warring against the law of my mind and leading me captive to sin’s law that is in my body. 24 Miserable man that I am! Who will rescue me from the body undergoing this death? 25 Thanks to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So, then, with my mind I myself am a slave to God’s law, but with my flesh to sin’s law.

(ESV) "But I see in my members another law waging war against the law of my mind and making me captive to the law of sin that dwells in my members."

“People at war with themselves will always cause collateral damage in the lives of those around them.” ― John Mark Green

My favorite "poetic quote" from John Mark Green is this:

“One by one she slew her fears, and then planted a flower garden over their graves.”
John Mark Green

But I can't find a good scripture text to go with it. There's always that passage about Jezebel and Naboth's vineyard....nah!

4 hours ago, JW Insider said:

Or, from a different perspective . . . Be careful who you associate with. Those who are at war with themselves have a a better appreciation and empathy for those around them. (Less chance of collateral damage.)

(Romans 7:22-25) 22 I really delight in the law of God according to the man I am within, 23 but I see in my body another law warring against the law of my mind and leading me captive to sin’s law that is in my body. 24 Miserable man that I am! Who will rescue me from the body undergoing this death? 25 Thanks to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So, then, with my mind I myself am a slave to God’s law, but with my flesh to sin’s law.

(ESV) "But I see in my members another law waging war against the law of my mind and making me captive to the law of sin that dwells in my members."

Good one JWI!

34 minutes ago, JW Insider said:

“One by one she slew her fears, and then planted a flower garden over their graves.”

Yes, that's nice. She made lemonade out of lemons! Or a Mojito...wait that's limes, not lemons.....

I do not agree with this statement offered above - it is words of a man.  I have not seen a statement in the bible which sAys that we should avoid those at war with themselves.  HOw does one define the outward symptoms of being at war with yourself? WE are all at war with the fleshly part of our existence as apposed to being perfectly in line with JehovAh and his spirit - as duly noted by one of the replies.  WE must be cAreful not to judge those who have emotional issues because the bible says we must deal tenderly with those who are experiencing distress.  I can imagine the stress a person must feel when they are at war with themselves - whatever the personAl baggage that has brought this about.  

Being deceitful,  indecisive about serving Jehovah whole-souled, being stupid (according to the bible this means that one acts outside the "knowledge of Jehovah"  and NOT the definition of being at war with yourself) now this is a different matter.  I do however  agree that we must be cAreful that  associations  do not influence us negatively. 

Be careful of self-righteousness - this  can cause even greater dAmage in a congregation. I knew a sister who was always avoiding people becAuse they were doing things that she deemed unworthy of association.  It caused tremendous uneasiness when people were Around her and she hurt many feelings- tHis is the otherr side of the coin.  

I did not write this to start a debate but merely do make my fellow worshipers think about their words And actions - imperfection and injustice can make us condemn where condemnation is not needed.  AN anointed sister once gave me the best advice EVER!  SHe said: when in doubt About what to do - show love.  WE can assist the weak and help strenghen those around us who are suffering and having issues.  WIth patience And love we can win And support them And help them adjust their attitude. LOve nevr fails! IT hopes all things. 

USually the elders will guide us to mark those who need adjustment. WE should not be going around indiscriminately marking people inside the congregation.   THose outside the congregation is of course are not our associates.

1 hour ago, Arauna said:

I do not agree with this statement offered above - it is words of a man.

Nobody is an island, and any action, whether good or bad will affect someone in a good or bad way. If we are to understand that "warring with oneself" can mean emotional battles with oneself, then this will make us act outwardly in a certain way, and this can affect others  negatively. I think this is what the author means.

In a literal war, it is almost inevitable that there will be some collateral damage. In an emotional war with oneself it is inevitable that this will affect others, and some just cannot cope with someone who has "issues" and so they have to be careful who they associate with because it could cause them to have issues too. People with emotional/mental issues can cause others to become emotionally/mentally drained.

Arrogance, self-righteousness also has adverse effects on others and sometimes more devastating. IT leaves othes with feeling worthlessness and pain for being rejected. 

YEsterday we learnt that we should rather let ourselves be wronged- this is not just regarding money - it is about the way we live.   WE need to cultivate a self-sacrificing spirit like Jesus - who gave everything he had for us.  

When we comfort others we are comforted by the Holy Spirit... when we give we receive so much more back from others together with Jehovah's blessing.  I speak of experience.  I have given attention to those whom others avoid and have found that these people need kind attention to be healed - not avoidance.

Self-righteousness is at war not with the person within themselves but is at war with Jehovah's Spirit.  Job fell into the sin of self-righteousness. SAtan displayed  pride - that was his sin.  

YEs we can fight the war in ourselves- to keep ourselves pure from this world and resist eveything it offers- even resist negative attitudes displYed by others  in a kind way- not by being superior but by being humble and comforting to all... not judgmental but give  acceptance And love.

how can we say we love God if we cannot overcome the evil by means of the love for our neighbour?

19 hours ago, Anna said:

The thing is, collateral damage is unintentional, so it doesn't really apply to deceitful men who hide who they are. Perhaps this would be more apt? : " Do not be misled. Bad associations spoil useful habits" 1 Cor 15:33 and "The one walking with the wise will become wise, But the one who has dealings with the stupid (who war with themselves) will fare badly". Proverbs 13:20. Just my two cents.

Anna:

Sometimes some hide who they are, This happened to me, a respected and loved elder and pioneer was and hiding who he was to me and all. Be careful we know that Satan is trying to weaken us all and leave the worship of the true God Jehovah. His actions lead him to be DF and proved he was just hiding his bad conduct and no fears Jehovah sees those that are doing these things and hiding to others. Keep on the watch, many more will come in sheep's covering. Keep strong and focused and pray for protection from these type of predators. We are very close to the end, it will not be late! 

This can certainly apply to people who are known deceivers. Con artist and such. It can also be a warning about associating with people of whom we are not sure of such as people we only meet on the internet. Via the internet people can portray themselves in any manner including changing their gender so suit their audience.

We are all judged by the company we keep. If we associate with drug addicts then we will be grouped in with that crowd. If we associate with bigots then we will be grouped in with that crowd. If we associate with people espousing christian principles then we will be grouped in with that crowd. Jesus can read hearts and all judging has been given to him; however, in the temporal we are judged by people and they cannot see our hearts. They can only see the outward appearance. If we declare that we are a Christian yet regularly socialize with people who abuse drugs, people who denigrate other races, people who look down on others because of their station in life how will this affect how people view Christianity?   

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.