The World News Media

God's name appears on old papyrus. (jan-broadcasting)

ARchiv@L

hello everyone.
perhaps you had noticed that screen on the january broadcasting program.

2017-01-10 jw-archives 10jan2017.jpg

I searched the internet to find that papyrus, so I like to share the information with all of you.

2017-01-10 jw-archives3 10jan2017.jpg

can anyone tell us, where is that from the bible ?
thank you.

jw archives only.jpg

(and for those who like the greek letters),
can you see those 3 words ?
ΘΕΟΣ
ΔΑΜΑΣΚΟΥ
ΙΣΡΑΗΛ

2017-01-10 jw-archives4 10jan2017.jpg

[my greetings to all]

• Views 797
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't want to ruin the "game" if anyone else wants to play, but this has long been my favorite kind of "puzzle." The prior verse is a very popular one, but it's very puzzling here because there

hello everyone. perhaps you had noticed that screen on the january broadcasting program.   I searched the internet to find that papyrus, so I like to share the information with all o

Hello brothers and sisters, If you want to find that text from the papyrus (or from the CD wtlibrary), I write the 3 words (from greek letters), to give you a “hint” of how to find that. =God, D

Posted Images

Hello brothers and sisters,
If you want to find that text from the papyrus (or from the CD wtlibrary),
I write the 3 words (from greek letters), to give you a “hint” of how to find that.
=God, Damascus, Israel.
Later, this month, I will add the additional information.
[greetings to all]

On 1/14/2017 at 9:28 AM, ARchiv@L said:

Later, this month, I will add the additional information.

I don't want to ruin the "game" if anyone else wants to play, but this has long been my favorite kind of "puzzle."

The prior verse is a very popular one, but it's very puzzling here because there are so many letters missing on the partial line on the right and it's sometimes more difficult based on the fact that the words that start at the beginning of the column often start in the middle of a word.

For example: EUSOMETHA (Which looks more like "EYCOMEθA") on the top line must be only part of a word, since several words end that way, but it's not a real word on its own here. The second picture says it's really "PEYSOMEθA"  (the C is actually S). Since the P is the way the Greek language makes an "R" then this word ends in ". . . reusometha." The most common word here would be "poreusometha" (πορευσόμεθα) which is a verb meaning to proceed, go, depart, walk, etc. The root of this verb will contain poreu- but it can have literally FIFTY different endings. This particular ending will make it 1st person, plural, middle voice, and either Future or Aorist. So we could bet that the word would be translated "we [1st pers, plural] will/shall [future] walk." If not, "we will walk" or "we shall be walking" or we could try "we shall go" or  "we will go" or "we will proceed" etc, and this would also narrow down the location.

A very similar puzzle shows up in the next line which is also the verse prior to the verse with the divine name. It's the word that looks like "..HKOAMEN" or based on the tiny piece of the previous letter, either "...MHKOAMEN" "...LHKOAMEN" or "...KHKOAMEN." The first two choices don't make much sense, but if it's "..KHKOAMEN" then this is surely part of the word "AKHKOAMEN." Since the H is the long E, and the E is the short E, this is the word "akekoamen" which is a form of "to hear" or "understand" or "hear a report" etc. The particular form of the verb is 1st person, plural again, but this time it's not in the future tense, but in a "perfect active indicative." This means that the action of "hearing" has already been completed and the verb indicates the result of this, such as "we have heard" or "we heard."

2 minutes ago, ARchiv@L said:

my intention is not to take your valuable time

I didn't mind at all. I did this while waiting for my wife to get ready for a meeting o.O. I was hoping to express some of the fun that can be had while learning a language. Some people like crossword puzzles, cryptograms or sudoku and the like. I like them too, but I especially like language-based puzzles, and this particular type is guilt-free.

• 5 months later...

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.