Nicole

Iconic Sequoia 'Tunnel Tree' Brought Down By California Storm

Hello guest!

Until Sunday, visitors to Calaveras Big Trees State Park could walk through the tunnel in the Pioneer Cabin Tree.

A powerful winter storm in California has brought down an ancient tree, carved into a living tunnel more than a century ago.

The "Pioneer Cabin Tree," a sequoia in Calaveras Big Trees State Park, saw horses and cars pass through it over the years. More recently, only hikers were allowed to walk through the massive tree.

Over the weekend, a powerful winter storm slammed into California and Nevada, prompting flooding and mudslides in some regions. The Associated Press reports it might be the biggest storm to hit the region in more than a decade.

On Sunday, a volunteer at the state park reported that Pioneer Cabin had not survived.

"The storm was just too much for it," the Calaveras Big Tree Association wrote on Facebook.

It's unclear exactly how old the tree was, but The Los Angeles Times reports that the trees in the state park are estimated to be more than 1,000 years old. Sequoias can live for more than 3,000 years.

The iconic tree was one of just a few tunneled-through sequoias in California. The most famous was the Wawona Tree, in Yosemite National Park; it fell during a winter storm in 1969 at an estimated age of 2,100 years. The other remaining sequoia tunnels are dead or consist of logs on their side, the Forest Service says.

However, there are still three coastal redwoods (taller and more slender than sequoias) with tunnels cut through them. They're all operated by private companies, the Forest Service says, and still allow cars to drive through — one appeared in a recent Geico ad.

SFGate.com spoke to Jim Allday, the volunteer who reported Pioneer Cabin's demise. He told the website that the tree "shattered" when it hit the ground on Sunday afternoon, and that people had walked through it as recently as that morning.

Hello guest!

An 1899 stereograph shows the Pioneer Cabin sequoia in Calaveras Grove, Calif.

Local flooding might have been the reason the tree fell, SFGate reports:

" 'When I went out there [Sunday afternoon], the trail was literally a river, the trail is washed out,' Allday said. 'I could see the tree on the ground, it looked like it was laying in a pond or lake with a river running through it.' "

"The tree had been among the most popular features of the state park since the late 1800s. The tunnel had graffiti dating to the 1800s, when visitors were encouraged to etch their names into the bark.

"Joan Allday, wife of Jim Allday and also a volunteer at the park, said the tree had been weakening and leaning severely to one side for several years.

" 'It was barely alive, there was one branch alive at the top,' she said. 'But it was very brittle and starting to lift.' "

Tunnel trees were created in the 19th century to promote parks and inspire tourism. But cutting a tunnel through a living sequoia, of course, damages the tree.

"Tunnel trees had their time and place in the early history of our national parks," the National Park Service has written. "But today sequoias which are standing healthy and whole are worth far more."

Hello guest!

The Pioneer Cabin sequoia in Northern California's Calaveras Big Trees State Park was carved into a tunnel in the late 19th century. It fell on Sunday, brought down by a massive storm.

Hello guest!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Welcome To Our Community

The most creative and intelligent people on planet Earth hang out on this forum. Be ready to have your points of view challenged and refined.

We haven't given up on the Internet yet. (notice we don't have an app)

We also want others to share your posts to ALL the social media outlets not just our own.

You need to be registered and logged in to get full access and to add content yourself. 

• Similar Content

• By Nicole
      At home in Minnesota
      To refugee Sivasundaram, his home in Burnsville feels like paradise.
      "I am so happy here," said Sivasundaram, wearing the reflective vest from his job as a forklift operator. On a recent evening, he rested for a few minutes before going to his night job stocking shelves at a Target store.
      His wife, Manchuladevy Ravindran, soon walked in, home from her job as a housekeeper in a nearby motel, and started cooking dinner for her three boys.
      Some people would call it a stressful life — but not this family. They compare it with the life they had before.
      Until 2006, they lived in Sri Lanka, an island south of India. They were part of an ethnic group called Tamils, which the government often treats like terrorists.
      Soldiers rampaged through their village in a raid, slaughtered Sivasundaram's mother, and burned her house down. When he complained to the government, his life was threatened.
      The family fled to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, where they remained for eight years. "I did house cleaning, plumbing, cutting grass, driving a taxi," recalled Sivasundaram.
      The family remembers, above all, the crime.
      "You couldn't use a phone in the street. Someone would take it," said Sivasundaram. "Someone would cut off the ears of old ladies for the earrings."
      The boys faced a unique danger. "They would have kidnapped me for the military, or sold me to another country," said Kapilas, his 17-year-old son.
      The family made a Minnesota contact through their Jehovah's Witnesses church. As soon as they arrived, neighbors knocked on their front door to welcome them.
      The boys had been raised as English-speakers and have assimilated rapidly.
      They laugh about the quirks of their new homeland. "I like Chick-Fil-A. The food in Malaysia is healthier, but this is tastier," said Simraj, 16.
      Apilas, 13, is fascinated by boneless fish, which he never encountered in Malaysia. "I always ask: Is that fish, or is that steak?" he said.
      Kapilas marveled at his new, low-stress life. "We have security and peace. Here, all I have to worry about is studying," he said.
      They gathered for a meal at a time necessitated by their hectic schedules — 11 p.m.
      In three years, they have saved enough to buy a car, then a house. "There is a great future here for all of us," said the father. Their success is shared by others. Simraj named 10 relatives and friends who have since followed them to America.
      At the end of the interview, the father was asked whether he had anything else to say.
      He is not fluent in English, so when asked a question, he looks pleadingly at his sons for help.
      Kapilas translated.
      "No," he said. "Just thank you."
      Read more: 
    • By Nicole
      Four dozen priests who worked at Queens churches over the last half-century were accused of child sex abuse, according to a report released by a legal group representing victims. The Diocese of Brooklyn and Queens, however, charged that the report isn’t completely accurate.
      Lawyers Helping Survivors of Child Sex Abuse issued “Hidden Disgrace,” a 22-page summary which lists the names of 65 clergy members in the Diocese of Brooklyn and Queens who have been accused of sexually abusing children; in some cases, the abuse occurred more than 50 years ago. An examination of the report found that 48 of the priests had been assigned to Queens churches, schools and institutions.
      Read more: 
      Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content.
    • By Nicole

Pictured L-R: Lori Lee, RN, BSN, Assistant VP of Nursing; Edey Gomez, RN; Shawn Grim, RN, BSN, Director of PCU; Penny Short, RN, BSN, Chief Operating Officer & Chief Nursing Officer; Robert Ferber, MD, Chief Clinical Innovation Officer
      Nanticoke Health Services
      November 28, 2017
      Nanticoke Health Services is pleased to announce that Edey Gomez, RN, has been named Nurse of the Month for November 2017.
      Edey began her career at Nanticoke Memorial Hospital in June 1999 as an Interpreter in the Maternity Center. Over the years, she has worked in several positions and departments throughout the organization and now works as float nurse that works in several areas of the hospital. She received her RN degree in 2005 and hopes to become certified in Spanish for the hospital’s new interpreter program.
      Edey was nominated by her peers for her role mode behavior as a nurse. She is known for being professional, caring and knowledgeable with great attention to detail and a drive to go above and beyond in all aspects of her work. As a float nurse, she shows up not knowing where she will be assigned, but she always brightens the day by providing excellent care, compassion and respect to each patient she encounters. She has the same positive effect on her coworkers, who noted that she always has a great attitude and finds the positive in every situation.
      Edey represents the Latino community as a nurse and uses every opportunity to give back to the community. Born and raised in Mexico, Edey came to the United States as a teenager. She learned English while pursuing her GED and made “the best decision ever” to enter the nursing field at the encouragement and support of her ESL (English as a Second Language) teacher and her friend Marisela, a fellow nurse at Nanticoke.
      “I love bringing a smile to my patients’ faces and watching them get better,” said Edey. “I also enjoy helping my fellow nurses because I remember how hard it was for me starting out. The thanks I receive from my patients and coworkers make it all worthwhile. I love my job and am proud to be part of the Nanticoke team!”
      Edey lives in Greenwood with her husband, Mario, and her two teenagers – one works in the Emergency Department at Nanticoke and is studying to become a nurse, and the other is studying to be a respiratory therapist. Edey attends Kingdom Hall of Jehovah’s Witnesses in Georgetown and gives over 70 hours of community service a month through the church. During her free time, Edey enjoys biking with her husband, cooking, reading the Bible, and dancing to traditional Latino music—reminiscent of the days when she danced a semi-professional Mexican folk performer.
      Nanticoke appreciates all of Edey’s hard work and dedication. Please join us in congratulating her as Nurse of the Month for November 2017!

• By Nicole
      WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States will end in January 2019 a special status given to 5,300 Nicaraguan immigrants that protects them from deportation, senior Trump administration officials said on Monday.
      A U.S. flag flutters over top of the skyline of New York (R) and Jersey City (L), as seen from Bayonne, New Jersey, August 6, 2011. REUTERS/Gary Hershorn
      They also said the program known as Temporary Protected Status, or TPS, would be extended until July 2018 for about 86,000 Honduran immigrants, but added it could then be terminated.
      The decision to end TPS for Nicaraguans is part of President Donald Trump’s broader efforts to tighten restrictions on immigration.Hundreds of thousands of illegal immigrants from across Central America live and work in the United States, but some are protected from the threat of deportation under the TPS program.
      Thousands from both Nicaragua and Honduras were given the special status in 1999 after Hurricane Mitch devastated Central America. In all, TPS protects more than 300,000 people from nine countries living in the United States.
      Trump’s administration was faced with a Monday deadline to announce its decision on Nicaragua and Honduras.
      Critics have complained the TPS program allows participants to repeatedly extend their stays in 6-month to 18-month increments in case of a natural disaster, civil strife or other emergencies in their homelands.
      In the case of Nicaragua, acting Homeland Security Secretary Elaine Duke decided the conditions caused by Hurricane Mitch “no longer exist, and thus, under the applicable statute, the current TPS designation must be terminated,” the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) said in a statement.
      The TPS for thousands of Nicaraguans was due to expire on Jan. 5, 2018, but it was delayed by 12 months “to allow for an orderly transition.”
      Read more: 
    • By Nicole
      MIAMI (WSVN) - A South Florida family is speaking out days after an 83-year-old, wheelchair-bound woman was killed by a hit-and-run driver on her way to church in Miami.
      Margaret Ruiz’s loved ones are seeking solace in their faith. “You can’t avoid these things that happen in life, but we have to believe, and we have to have trust and love and faith,” said Lucy Ruiz, the victim’s sister.
      Lucy, 73, said she is still in shock over how her older sister was killed. “It’s very upsetting to hear that. So sudden,” she said.
      Grainy surveillance video captured her as she traveled on her electric wheelchair down the sidewalk, near Northeast 62nd Street and Second Avenue, moments before, police said, she was struck by a four-door, dark-colored sedan, Wednesday evening.
      “If she were here, I would just tell her how much I love her,” said Lucy.
      Margaret, a devout Jehovah’s Witness, was heading to religious services at the time of the hit-and-run.
      The surveillance footage shows the car involved in the crash fleeing from the scene.
      Margaret leaves behind five children. One of her sons, Barry Pantoja, arrived to South Florida from New York with his entire family on Monday.
      “She was my whole world for many years, and she loved her family very much,” he said.
      Pantoja said his mother was a devoted mother and an esteemed member of her faith community. “She was loved, and she really appreciated, in so many ways, the way people extended themselves to her and her congregation,” he said.
      Pantoja said Margaret moved to Florida to live with her sister. Over the years, she became isolated from her family and never returned to her home in New York.
      Relatives said Margaret eventually fell on hard times and became homeless. She later moved into an affordable housing community.
      Lakeisha Ware, Margaret’s case manager, helped the elderly woman transition off the streets.
      “It’s hard because you have to have a mother. She is somebody’s mother. She’s somebody’s grandmother,” said Ware. How can you do that to a person and not look back?”
      Amid their grief and pain, Margaret’s family hopes to see her again. “As Jehovah’s Witnesses, we believe in a resurrection, and I actually look forward to the day I see my mother again,” said Pantoja as he held back tears. “It’s the hope we all hold in our faith, and it’s the only thing that keeps us from being totally devastated.”
      If you have any information on this hit-and-run, call Miami-Dade Crime Stoppers at 305-471-TIPS. Remember, you can always remain anonymous, and you may be eligible for a $3,000 reward.

• Topics

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Dunny Festus