The World News Media

How are we to understand the GB/Slave interpreting scripture, as the sole chanel, and at the same time accept that they can err?

Anna

• Views 16.7k
  • Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Most Witnesses obviously want to live peaceful Christian lives and conduct ourselves in a way that pleases Jehovah God and Jesus Christ. None of us really want the job of being responsible to take a s

Hi Anna! Sorry for the delay in response. I am a little bit confused what you mean about complete obedience being in the minds of only some Witnesses. The Governing Body spells it out in their literat

Who is more loyal? This is a real conversation I had with a brother. He insisted I should follow some instructions in our congregation. I agreed but I also mentioned this arrangement was silly. T

Posted Images

3 hours ago, JW Insider said:

Since 2014, the expressions "faithful slave" and "faithful and discreet slave" have regularly edged out "1914" and "generation" and "Armageddon." In fact, from 2016 to 2018, the date 1919 was used far more in the Watchtower than 1914. I think you can guess why.

Likely due to weakness of comprehension and appreciation.

"1914", "generation", "Armageddon" carry little in the way of controversy these days, but the importance or not of the Governing Body is obviously a bone of contention with many.

I mean, "1914" has come and gone; the "generation" is as long as it is; "Armageddon"? well, it will come when it comes. What I or any one else believes makes no difference to these as realities. But the Governing Body? Well my life depends on recognising who they are and working along with what they are doing and who they represent so I am happy to have reference to them frequently and a clear understanding of their role. I don't feel inclined to bite the hand that feeds me. Apart from that, I have yet to see a viable alternative.

15 minutes ago, Outta Here said:

I mean, "1914" has come and gone; the "generation" is as long as it is; "Armageddon"? well, it will come when it comes. What I or any one else believes makes no difference to these as realities

If you continually change the definitions of words, and people trust you, you can short-circuit even their ability to think rationally.

"New Light" is stroboscopic, and can give you cognitive epilepsy.

Change the meaning of words.jpg

2 hours ago, James Thomas Rook Jr. said:

If you continually change the definitions of words, and people trust you, you can short-circuit even their ability to think rationally.

"New Light" is stroboscopic, and can give you cognitive epilepsy.

Change the meaning of words.jpg

JW congregants are not supposed to think rationally.  That's what all the meetings are for, to tell you what to think and tell you what to say to others. The Work Book and the Watchtower mags dictate the 'thinking' that JW's do. The NWT is written in such a way so as to dictate the GB's way of thinking. The tracts are supposed to 'do the talking' for you. JW's no longer have to think. Because remember, JW congregants are not supposed to have their own opinions. And if they do have their own opinions they are not allowed to express them. 

Outa Here is a great example of how a person can be dictated to and be soooo brainwashed in the worst possible way. 

Just look at this  But the Governing Body? Well my life depends on recognising who they are 

I would have thought his/her life would depend on how they serve God through Christ. 

4 minutes ago, JOHN BUTLER said:

I would have thought his/her life would depend on how they serve God through Christ. 

Yes. Patently obvious, but a self assessment here is of little value. Matt.7:22-23.

I'll stick with Matt.25:45-46 until I hear something better.

18 minutes ago, JOHN BUTLER said:

Outa Here is a great example of how a person can be dictated to and be soooo brainwashed in the worst possible way.

A good man brings good out of the good treasure of his heart; for out of the heart's abundance the mouth speaks, but if it produces thorns and thistles, it is rejected and is near to being cursed, and in the end it will be burned.

2 hours ago, James Thomas Rook Jr. said:

You are a clear example of the truth of this statement.

29 minutes ago, Outta Here said:

You are a clear example of the truth of this statement.

I hope you meant that in a positive way, as I use the normal common usage of words ... even the word "Grok", which can be looked up ... but my favorite, is the standard definition of the word "generation", which some have stretched, and bent into a pretzel

When Jesus used the expression " ... this generation will not pass away until all these things occur ...", how did the people he spoke it to understand what he meant?

Whatever that understanding was ... that's how we should understand it ... because ..... that is what he ACTUALLY said.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grok

On 6/30/2019 at 3:42 PM, Anna said:

So if our obedience to anyone, including the GB, conflicts with God, then we do not obey.

(At this stage, haven't words like GB, organization, and Jehovah become conflated?)

What you're saying here is very true, but does the history of the organization reflect that? The GB has already admitted to giving incorrect direction to its members. Throughout all of these changes, JWs have remained staunchly loyal to the GB in the old thinking and the new.

The GB can hand-wave away their errant direction. I am sure they would say it's direction has never truly conflicted with God. But there aren't variations of the truth -- there is only right and wrong. If a change is made, then that means there was something false with the previous direction. You might see that as an overly critical mindset, but I am only scrutinizing the GB with the same level of scrutiny that they impose on all of us.

Now, I know that there have been JWs that recognized an incorrect doctrine ahead of an "adjustment" by the GB. I say that with certainty, because I have hardcore JW family that experienced this personally. That is why Jackson's comment is highly disingenuous, because JWs have never had the right to act in harmony with their own views. Again, I'll direct you to the organization's comments:

"At the same time, we recognize that our knowledge of God's purpose is not perfect; our understanding has undergone adjustments over the years. Loyal Christians are content to wait on Jehovah for all such refinements." (W04 Feb 15 p.17)

"Some may feel that they can interpret the Bible on their own. However, Jesus has appointed the ‘faithful slave’ to be the only channel for dispensing spiritual food. Since 1919, the glorified Jesus Christ has been using that slave to help his followers understand God’s own Book and heed its directives. By obeying the instructions found in the Bible, we promote cleanness, peace, and unity in the congregation. Each one of us does well to ask himself, ‘Am I loyal to the channel that Jesus is using today?'" (Nov. 2016 WT)

The WT makes it clear that it is not our place to form our own understanding of doctrine. Jackson's statement is illogical from a WT perspective -- that's not how the organization has ever functioned. Direction has always been revealed through the organization since it is "spirit directed" by God. If we have personal doubts, we are instructed to wait for the GB to make an adjustment. At no point do we act on our own understanding. This can never change, or the GB will lose its control over members. Control is of utmost concern to them - that is their chief priority.

In fact.... we need no personal conscience whatsoever!

Anything not specifically approved .... is forbidden..

...try using unapproved words and extra-magazine phrases and concepts to make a comment at the Watchtower Study, and it will be like someone threw a brick through a plate glass window.

11 hours ago, James Thomas Rook Jr. said:

Whatever that understanding was ... that's how we should understand it ... because ..... that is what he ACTUALLY said.

We do not know what they understood. I suspect their understanding based at best on Dan.9:26 was limited at the time until it actually came to an end. Later after Pentecost some may have had more insight. It does not seem to have been that important to them as an actual time span. Just its certainty and imminence.

Nobody will know what the generation actually really is now until the fat lady sings this time round. Whatever it is, we will know soon enough. Convoluted arguments on pet theories are a waste of time. I don't care when the end actually is. I am just glad it is coming. 

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.