The World News Media

How are we to understand the GB/Slave interpreting scripture, as the sole chanel, and at the same time accept that they can err?

Anna

1 hour ago, BillyTheKid46 said:

For one, think about the times, or are you confused. Back then, organ transplant was not an option with either fraction blood of bloodless surgery. Try to get your decades straight.

The other one. This is a new one. Where in the world did you cook up this lie from? Women unable to yell out when being raped, WOW!

Where has the Watchtower told any woman that? I will hold your personal responsible for this slander, so enlighten me. Show proof. NB! Make it good, since this one I will go after! 🤔

https://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/quotes/rape-fornication.php

Here you go, I'm only providing the link to the watchtower articles that state if a woman doesn't scream while she is being raped, she is guilty of fornication.

• Views 16.3k
  • Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Most Witnesses obviously want to live peaceful Christian lives and conduct ourselves in a way that pleases Jehovah God and Jesus Christ. None of us really want the job of being responsible to take a s

Hi Anna! Sorry for the delay in response. I am a little bit confused what you mean about complete obedience being in the minds of only some Witnesses. The Governing Body spells it out in their literat

Who is more loyal? This is a real conversation I had with a brother. He insisted I should follow some instructions in our congregation. I agreed but I also mentioned this arrangement was silly. T

Posted Images

5 hours ago, BillyTheKid46 said:

The truth of the matter is, Russell wanted the WATCHTOWER to be seen as that wise servant. How many more lies is TOM going to accept from this false prophet?

This is not the whole truth of the matter. Exactly as I said previously, Russell taught that the household of faith was being fed by the anointed from about 1879 until about 1897. I believe the first Watchtower article claiming that the FDS was a single person or individual (and not a class of individuals) was actually published in 1896, but the primary source is the book "Battle of Armageddon" (Studies in the Scriptures Series, published 1897). He was reticent to go out and publicly proclaim that "this single individual" was he himself, even though it was already obvious to most, but he still allowed his wife to openly publicize the idea that Russell as publisher of the Watchtower, was referring to himself.

As I said:

On 7/1/2019 at 9:50 PM, JW Insider said:

The first part of that old view goes back to Russell: that all of the anointed made up the faithful slave. Russell kept that view from 1879 to until about 1897. The assumption was that they would be appointed over all his belongings at the time of their resurrection. Then, in 1897, Russell discreetly published an article stating that the slave was only one person, one individual. Then, very indiscreetly, began publishing letters and articles that addressed himself as that faithful and wise servant (FDS),

Your supposed evidence was a quote from an 1880 Watchtower which was obviously from within the period that included 1879 to 1897. This was during those two decades when Russell was not directly pushing the idea that HE himself held the office of the FDS.

As someone recently said: you need to get your decades straight!

Where has the Watchtower told any woman that? I will hold your personal responsible for this slander, so enlighten me. Show proof. NB! Make it good, since this one I will go after! 🤔

THIS... I would pay money to see!

I have not been to a Comedy Club in 25 years.

2019-06-28_091836.jpg

12 hours ago, JW Insider said:

The apostles remaining in Jerusalem prior to the writing of the "NT" has already served its purpose, and is not intended as an ongoing model of apostolic succession in the last days. Because we are only human, we think that the hierarchical system under Moses, and therefore the "seat of Moses" was intended to continue into Christian times.

I cannot help but agree with most of your post except for the above quote. I feel this is an opinion 😃

4 hours ago, BillyTheKid46 said:

The truth of the matter is, Russell wanted the WATCHTOWER to be seen as that wise servant. How many more lies is TOM going to accept from this false prophet?

The WATCH TOWER desires to be a faithful servant of God and of "the household of faith." "Who then is a faithful and wise servant whom his Lord hath made ruler over his household to give them meat in due season. Blessed is that servant whom his Lord when he [Elthon]—has come—shall find so doing." Matt. 24:46.

I already pointed out that you made the mistake of pointing to a Watch Tower from 1880, when Russell hadn't begun pushing the change that made himself the FDS until 1896 and 1897.

Oddly enough, the Watchtower publications made this same mistake:

*** ka chap. 17 pp. 345-346 pars. 30-31 The “Slave” Who Lived to See the “Sign” ***
This studious Christian took note of Jesus’ illustration of the “faithful and wise servant” (Matthew 24:45, Authorized Version) and published his understanding of it in the Watch Tower issue of November, 1881, page 5. In the fourth- and fifth-last paragraphs of the article “In the Vineyard,” he said:

We believe that every member of this body of Christ is engaged in the blessed work, either directly or indirectly, of giving meat in due season to the household of faith. “Who then is that faithful and wise servant whom his Lord hath made ruler over his household,” to give them meat in due season? Is it not that “little flock” of consecrated servants who are faithfully carrying out their consecration vows—the body of Christ—and is not the whole body individually and collectively, giving the meat in due season to the household of faith—the great company of believers?
Blessed is that servant (the whole body of Christ) whom his Lord when he has come (Gr. elthon) shall find so doing. “Verily, I say unto you, that he shall make him ruler over all his goods.” “He shall inherit all things.”

31 From this it is clearly seen that the editor and publisher of Zion’s Watch Tower disavowed any claim to being individually, in his person, that “faithful and wise servant.” He never did claim to be such.*" However, he did continue to edit the Watch Tower magazine down to the day of his death on October 31, 1916.

Notice how they are using an 1881 Watch Tower and apparently disingenuously implying that "He never did claim to be such" and then immediately "sweeping" away the opposite history down to 1916. But if you look closely, you'll see that there is a little asterisk after the term "He never did claim to be such.*" If you have the original book, or check the WOL.jw.org, or the Watchtower Library CD you can see that this asterisk points to the following:

*** ka chap. 17 The “Slave” Who Lived to See the “Sign” ***
[Footnotes]
See the book The Battle of Armageddon, published in 1897, page 613, under the heading “Dispensing of Food to the Household.—Matt. 24:45-51; Luke 12:42-46.”

If you looked up the footnote, you would have seen that this was the first major place where it was claimed that Jesus would choose a specific, single channel referred to as "he" to dispense "meat in due season" and then compared with the plural "channels" or plural "fellow servants" to be used in bringing the food to the "household." This followed on the previous Watchtower that also showed it no longer referred to a class.

In fact, if you had worked with the proofreaders and researchers at Bethel just prior to this book being rechecked for another printing in 1980 you might have known that this asterisk was a carryover from the book "Jehovah's Witnesses in the Divine Purpose." Discussing the same subject, that book also quoted the 1881 Watch Tower:

image.png

But then notice the next point, which is quite different than the impression given by the "Kingdom Approached" book.

image.png

In this case, the earlier book discusses the problems of the cult that had developed around Russell, and discusses how Rutherford wanted to change this. So the footnote above, in this case, was used to show that the proper view was lost sight of, and attention was now "on an individual man.o"  And where did that little footnote point?

image.png

It was only beginning in 1897 that Russell began allowing himself to be addressed as "that servant, faithful and wise" (FDS) and referred to as the individual giving out meat in due season (food at the proper time).

The issue of so many persons 'worshiping' Russell was admitted freely in the 1959 book, "Jehovah's Witnesses in the Divine Purpose." (Their word, "worship," not mine.) But the "Kingdom Approached" book didn't get into that. The much more recent "Proclaimer's" book refers to the problem, too:

*** jv chap. 6 p. 65 A Time of Testing (1914-1918) ***
Others, on account of their deep respect for Brother Russell, seemed more concerned with trying to copy his qualities and develop a sort of cult around him.

1 hour ago, Matthew9969 said:

https://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/quotes/rape-fornication.php

Here you go, I'm only providing the link to the watchtower articles that state if a woman doesn't scream while she is being raped, she is guilty of fornication.

quote from 1980 WT "By no means would it be proper for her willingly to submit to being raped".

This is true,  since you cannot rape the willing.

3 hours ago, BillyTheKid46 said:

How many more lies is TOM going to accept from this [JWI] false prophet?

28 minutes ago, BillyTheKid46 said:

It's meaningless to me. It might make [JWI]  seem intelligent to TOM, ANNA, JAMES and the rest, but we know better 

Do you have any new orders for me, o wise one, JWI?

Sheesh.

It's meaningless to me. It might make you seem intelligent . . .

I apologize if you think it makes me seem intelligent to some. That's not the intention. It's really more like you said here:

2 hours ago, BillyTheKid46 said:

It doesn't matter what you think, but what was written.

Which reminds me that I never actually addressed the idea where you claim that Russell never claimed to be the equivalent of the FDS.

Curiously, this can also be discovered through "what was written" as found in another footnote in the same book I mentioned previously.

The "Divine Purpose" book (dp) makes the following statement on page 63:

image.png

But then it unfortunately quotes from that same biography that the WTS supposedly never published. It's even mentioned in the index:

image.png

On page 17, a footnote shows how that Biography was published. It was a special addition made to new editions of Studies in the Scriptures, updated in the 1926 edition.

image.png

I bring it up because, if we read what was there named, "The Biography of Charles Taze Russell" we find the following:

Thousands of the readers of Pastor Russell’s writings
believe that he filled the office of “that faithful and wise servant,” and that his great
work was giving to the Household of Faith meat in due season. His modesty and
humility precluded him from openly claiming this title, but he admitted as much in
private conversation.

So, if the Watch Tower publications, published by the Governing Body after 1919, are to be believed here, then Russell admitted that he filled the office of "that faithful and wise servant."

If I did, you wouldn't be able to accept a bunch of lies in order to make another fictional book! But, you have the power not me!

My next project (though I am distracted by nearly anything) is not to write another fine book, but to put my existing ones in audio version, starting with Dear Mr. Putin - Jehovah’s Witnesses Write Russia. Unlike the ebook versions of two of them, these will not be free, therefore perhaps @JOHN BUTLER‘s dream of my being a millionaire is not so far off.

There are still numerous little punctuation inconsistencies and minor typos in the book and I am steadily correcting all of them in the manuscript, to release a corrected version all at once. I may just have to accept that I will never be wholly consistent on single quotes and double quotes, mostly due to a lack of self-discipline. “I may not know art, but I know what I like.”

There is also a travel book coming up, which will include my typical musings and meandering, finding ways to insert scripture where you wouldn’t think they would fit, as well as some history. Tentatively, it is titled, ‘Go Where Tom Goes (Think What Tom Thinks)’ The travel book will be modest in scope because I don’t go to many places.

Get your order in quick, Billy