Topic Summary

Created

Last Reply

Replies

Views

The Librarian -
Anna -

Top Posters

Threatened with an imminent ban on their worship in Russia, Jehovah’s Witnesses worldwide support their fellow worshippers in Russia by means of a global letter-writing campaign. Instructions are provided for those who would like to participate.

Hello guest!

Hello guest!

MARCH 21, 2017

Hello guest!

Jehovah’s Witnesses Mobilize Global Response to Threat of Ban in Russia

NEW YORK—Threatened with an imminent ban on their worship in Russia, Jehovah’s Witnesses are responding with a direct appeal to Kremlin and Supreme Court officials for relief through a global letter-writing campaign. The Governing Body of Jehovah’s Witnesses is inviting the over 8,000,000 Witnesses worldwide to participate.

On March 15, 2017, Russia’s Ministry of Justice filed a claim with the Supreme Court of the Russian Federation to label the Administrative Center of Jehovah’s Witnesses in Russia as extremist and liquidate it. The claim also seeks to ban the activities of the Administrative Center. If the Supreme Court upholds this claim, the Witnesses’ national headquarters near St. Petersburg will be shut down. Subsequently, some 400 registered Local Religious Organizations would be liquidated, outlawing the services of over 2,300 congregations of Jehovah’s Witnesses in Russia. The branch property, as well as 

Hello guest!
 used by Witnesses throughout the country, could be seized by the State. Additionally, individual Jehovah’s Witnesses would become subject to criminal prosecution for merely carrying out their worship activities. The Supreme Court is expected to rule on the claim on April 5.

“The Governing Body of Jehovah’s Witnesses wants to heighten attention to this critical situation,” states David A. Semonian, a spokesman at the Witnesses’ world headquarters. “Prosecuting non-violent, law-abiding citizens as if they were terrorists is clearly a misapplication of anti-extremist laws. Such prosecution is based on completely false grounds.”

The Witnesses’ global campaign is not without precedent. Nearly 20 years ago, Witnesses wrote to defend their fellow worshippers in Russia in response to a smear campaign by some members of the government in power at the time. Additionally, Witnesses have initiated past letter-writing campaigns to motivate government officials to end persecution of Witnesses in other countries, including Jordan, Korea, and Malawi.

“Reading the Bible, singing, and praying with fellow worshippers is clearly not criminal,” adds Mr. Semonian. “We hope that our global letter-writing campaign will motivate Russian officials to stop this unjustifiable action against our fellow worshippers.”

Media Contacts:

International: David A. Semonian, Office of Public Information, +1-845-524-3000

Russia: Yaroslav Sivulskiy, +7-812-702-2691

Jehovah’s Witnesses Mobilize Global Response to Threat of Ban in Russia.pdf

Срочное видеообращение Василия Калина в связи с иском о запрете Свидетелей Иеговы

Hello guest!

kalin_statement.jpg

Urgent video message Vasily Kalin in connection with a lawsuit to ban Jehovah's Witnesses
DOWNLOAD: 

This will probably have as much success as the letter writing campaign to Hitler, but it will at least let them know (if they don't already) that we are a world wide organization and we are unitedly serving the great God Jehovah and the leader of the Christian congregation Jesus.

Better to compare it to more recent letter writing campaigns, imo, and not Hitler. Hitler was doing unspeakable things to our people and many others. Russian officials, however, are probably only yielding to pressure from opposers in the house church.

It's hardly a slam-dunk, but neither should it be thought of as a lost cause.

Not a lost cause, but from a Russian politicians point of view, where is the upside for coming to the aid of an oppressed religious minority? There really isn't one. Unless somebody in power wants to take the highroad and actually uphold their own constitution then it is unlikely that anybody there will intervene.

When you are writing to the Russians about their proposal to ban Jehovah’s Witnesses, there may be a temptation to speak of legal and constitutional issues, for their recent conduct flies in the face of many of them. There may be temptation to observe that, surely, ISIS provides the template of what extremism is. But I suspect leaders there are aware of these things and, for whatever reason, have chosen to ignore them.

Tell them something they don’t know. Tell them about eight million people, from every nation, who don’t know their Russian brothers personally, but care about them anyway. Let them ponder the significance of what if the whole world was like that. When they look to the outside world of international relations, all they see is bickering, bitching and bellyaching. Let them see another world.

Convey that we are ordinary, decent people, the sort who appreciates government’s role to preserve social order and improve the moral fabric of persons within its borders, and that we everywhere cooperate with governments as they pursue such goals. I like the suggestion at jw.org to relate some practical way in which the truth has helped us personally.

Imagine! An invitation from Bethel to write to high Russian officials about the proposed ban on Jehovah’s Witnesses. It is a fine way for individual Christians, most of whom feel quite helpless, to ‘bring their gift to the altar.’

Thank you for those fine points. I have been pondering for several days about the efficacy of bringing up ISIS or other things and your points are steering me in the correct direction. Uplifting and forward thinking. Show love and concern for the entire association of brothers and at the same time show concern for the Russian people and their leaders. Again, thank you. 

I doubt anybody is even going to read the letters, but the fact that the Russian postal service is suddenly going to be inundated with millions of letters to Moscow will speak volumes. There IS strength in numbers, and Moscow will know who these letters are from and why they are being sent, and that's the important part. The whole world is going to notice.

21 minutes ago, David Normand said:

show concern for the Russian people and their leaders.

I don't think I could stomach showing concern for Russia's leaders. We don't have to "brown nose" to put our point across. We would surely be hypocritical if we did that...

3 hours ago, Anna said:

I don't think I could stomach showing concern for Russia's leaders. We don't have to "brown nose" to put our point across. We would surely be hypocritical if we did that...

I disagree. In most countries, if you taunt the king too much you risk your neck. But if you make it your aim to live quietly, as Christians do, won't they leave you alone?

It is a different form of government, that's all. "What, you think we're so righteous here?" Trump said. If they tolerate interference less than is done here, there is yet no reason to think they are not genuine in their desire to provide stability and good government. At the drop of a pin, Western media and politicians will describe them in the most insulting terms. We need not play that game. Our perception of the king there need not be formed by the king here.

Having said that, I've not been there. But most of those saying vile things have not been there, either.

4 hours ago, Anna said:

I don't think I could stomach showing concern for Russia's leaders. We don't have to "brown nose" to put our point across.

The horrible expression "brown nose" is reserved for those who are described as "obsequious". Equally horrible, that word is defined in part as servile, ingratiating, unctuous, sycophantic, fawning. I agree that we do not have to demonstrate that level of behaviour in dealing with political leaders, Russian or otherwise.

But we are advised by the apostles (who had dealings with men alongside whom Russian politicians wilt) to show respect for those who currently excercise power. With the example of Saul, later Paul, we can appreciate the Bible's counsel to avoid judging others.

4 hours ago, David Normand said:

I have been pondering for several days about the efficacy of bringing up ISIS or other things

Not a suitable subject for a letter to the Russian authorities regarding our brothers, BUT...................

It puts me in mind of what occurred in Nazi Germany. I believe officers in prison camps would allow Jehovah's Witness prisoners to wet shave them....because they knew they could trust the brothers not to harm them, such was the brothers respect for Jehovah's requirements at that time.  Well, can you imagine any "Guatanamo Bay" type military officer  allowing an ISIS militant to shave them with a cut-throat razor today without at least a qualm of misgiving????     Who really are the extremists?

1 hour ago, TrueTomHarley said:

showing concern for Russia's leaders.

52 minutes ago, Eoin Joyce said:

showing concern for Russia's leaders

Then I misunderstood what David Normand meant by concern. In context, to "show concern for the Russian people and their leaders" I took to mean to show care, interest, involvement and to "worry over". Other synonyms for care (concern) are  tenderness, warmth, and friendship. That kind of concern is fine for the Russian people on the whole, but I feel would be hypocritical regarding the leaders and has nothing to do with the recognition of the leader's relative authority and respect for their position. Of course, if someone feels genuine concern, interest, worry and care for the leaders they should not hesitate to show that. I just said I couldn't do it.

1 hour ago, Eoin Joyce said:

obsequious

Thanks, I learned a new word. Much more sophisticated than "brown nosing".

At the drop of a pin, Western media and politicians will describe them in the most insulting terms. We need not play that game. Our perception of the king there need not be formed by the king here.

True

Having said that, I've not been there. But most of those saying vile things have not been there, either.

I have had my fair share of the taste of Communism. It was enough.

AGREE WE MUST NOT BE SILENT AS JEHOVAH'S ORGANIZATION HAS TOLD US THROUGH THERE SOCIAL MEDIA HERE ON THE INTERNET [JW.ORG]. THINK ABOUT THIS - 20 TO 30 YEARS AGO WHEN WE LAST WROTE TO OFFICIALS WE HAD TO WAIT FOR LETTERS FROM THE GOVERNING BODY TO TELL US WHAT TO DO. NOW HOWEVER BECAUSE OF JW.ORG AND BROADCASTING THIS MESSAGE TO SPEAK [OR WRITE] OUT CAME INSTANTANEOUSLY THROUGH THE USE OF THE INTERNET. AND NOW OUT LETTERS ARE ARRIVING AT THE SAME TIME IN RUSSIA. WHAT A GREAT WITNESS.

ONE OF MY BIBLE STUDIES YESTERDAY CAME TO THE CONCLUSION THAT JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES ARE THE TRUE RELIGION BECAUSE OF WHAT IS HAPPENING IN RUSSIA. HE NOTICED THAT ONLY THE WITNESSES AND NO OTHER RELIGION IS TARGETED TO BE BANNED ON APRIL 5. HE SAID "THERE ARE OVER 2,000 RELIGIONS IN RUSSIA AND THEY ARE PICKING ON A SMALL PEACEFUL RELIGION THAT CANNOT FIGHT BACK AS MOST WOULD DO. WHY ONLY THE WITNESSES?" HE SAID IT IS NOW OBVIOUS THAT THEY HAVE THE TRUTH. MANY RELIGIONS ARE BEING RESTRICTED IN RUSSIA BUT ONLY ONE HAS BEEN SUBMITTED TO THE SUPREME COURT TO BE ABOLISHED !!!

AMAZING - THE MOST READ NEWS ITEM IN RUSSIA AT THE TASS RUSSIAN NEWS AGENCY IS ON JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES !!!

Most read
Now
Today
This week
    Hello guest!
    Hello guest!
    Hello guest!
    Hello guest!
    Hello guest!
    Hello guest!
    Hello guest!

More:

Hello guest!

NOT ONLY ARE THE JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES THE MOST READ ITEM FOR "TODAY" BUT IF YOU CLICK ON THE "WEEK"  IT IS THE MOST READ ITEM FOR THE ENTIRE WEEK ON THE RUSSIAN NEWS  - TASS

Jehovah’s Witnesses in Russia suspended over extremism

More:

Hello guest!

Yes Tom that is true and it is also in the public press here :

Enormous attention to Jehovah's Witnesses case

PETITION FILED FOR SPACIOUS COURTROOM AND VIDEOTAPING IN HEARINGS IN SUPREME COURT OF RUSSIA

Hello guest!

On 21 March 2017 the Administrative Center of Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia sent to the Supreme Court of Russia a petition that for the hearing on the lawsuit of the Russian Ministry of Justice a courtroom for the sessions capable of accommodating 200 and more persons be provided and also that there be provided the possibility for persons present in the courtroom to make video recordings of the judicial session.

"In and of itself the submission of such an unprecedented petition to the court is for Russia an extraordinary event, attention to which is riveted not only in all of Russia but throughout the world also, since Jehovah's Witnesses are not only a well known and recognized religion in Russia but also a famous Christian religion worldwide, that is professed in an overwhelming majority of countries and territories of the world. After the posting of the aforementioned information on the website of the Supreme Court of the RF, the Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia received numerous requests for clarification of the date and time of the hearing from representatives of local religious organizations of Jehovah's Witnesses, state bodies, news media, rights advocacy organizations, representatives of embassies of various countries, believers, and other persons," one of the petitions says. "Orally they express their desire to be immediately present for the consideration of this case."

The hearings will begin on 5 April 2017 at 10:00 in the Supreme Court of Russia, located at the address: Moscow, ul. Povarskaia, 13. The closest metro stations are Barrikadnaia and Arbatskaia. (tr. by PDS, posted 25 March 2017)

Russia Religion News Current News Items

On 3/31/2017 at 8:32 AM, bruceq said:

ONE OF MY BIBLE STUDIES YESTERDAY CAME TO THE CONCLUSION THAT JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES ARE THE TRUE RELIGION BECAUSE OF WHAT IS HAPPENING IN RUSSIA. HE NOTICED THAT ONLY THE WITNESSES AND NO OTHER RELIGION IS TARGETED TO BE BANNED ON APRIL 5. HE SAID "THERE ARE OVER 2,000 RELIGIONS IN RUSSIA AND THEY ARE PICKING ON A SMALL PEACEFUL RELIGION THAT CANNOT FIGHT BACK AS MOST WOULD DO. WHY ONLY THE WITNESSES?" HE SAID IT IS NOW OBVIOUS THAT THEY HAVE THE TRUTH. MANY RELIGIONS ARE BEING RESTRICTED IN RUSSIA BUT ONLY ONE HAS BEEN SUBMITTED TO THE SUPREME COURT TO BE ABOLISHED !!!

Such a massive ban of an organization with such a great number of regional representations and members has not been in Russia," Gefter said in commenting for a Kavkazskii Uzel correspondent.

From Russia Religion News Current News Items

The trick will be to generate such worldwide publicity, to make every person aware, that for Putin to snuff out Jehovah’s Witnesses will be comparable to his strangling a cat on live TV. He may decide not to do it. He wants to be regarded as wise, as firm where necessary, but certainly not as an unhinged Kim Jong-un. 

To be sure, he plays hardball when he has to, but he may come to realize that here he does not have to. What with Post Offices around the world being crushed with the volume of JW letters, likely from every Witness in the world, (to him or to one of his associates) everyone except the most disconnected may become aware of the situation soon to be decided by him. Will he want to be an international pariah? All our letters will be respectful, [except some seeded in by those religious enemies who want the ban to proceed] in sharp contrast to how he is usually portrayed in the West. 

He may get fed up, not with us, but with the house church that is trying to feed him the line that jw.org is extremist, doing so for the purpose of taking out the competition. He may, on a night he cannot sleep, peruse jw.org, see that it plainly is not extremist, as every other nation in the world sees, and come to resent the house church that would have him look like a total ass on the world stage. In short, he may come to realize that, what with all the very real concerns facing his country, Jehovah’s Witnesses are not one of them.

On 3/31/2017 at 8:32 AM, bruceq said:

Sometimes we have to be careful that we don't single ourselves out as being the only religion that is persecuted, because that simply is not true (I know you are not saying that). Even the Orthodox Church in Russia has as its fair share of persecution during the Bolsheviks. However, your Bible study is quite right, at present it seems that the only ones that are due to be banned are Jehovah's Witnesses. Interesting indeed :)

Here is an interesting article (I apologize if someone has already posted this). I like this comment: " “No one else is in a comparable position to that of the Jehovah’s Witness community,” Alexander Verkhovsky of the SOVA Center for Information and Analysis

Hello guest!
Forum 18 last month".

Hello guest!

@TrueTomHarley @The Librarian I remember this article, remember all Babylon the Great will go down because of some interesting things that will happen, 

How will the great tribulation begin? The book of Revelation answers by describing thedestruction of “Babylon the Great.” (

Hello guest!
)

How appropriate that all false religion is likened to a prostitute! The clergy have prostituted themselves with the leaders of this wicked world. Instead of loyally supporting Jesus and his Kingdom, they have given their support to human rulers and have compromised godly principles just to gain political influence. They stand in stark contrast with the clean, virginlike anointed ones of God. (

Hello guest!
    Hello guest!
    Hello guest!
)

But who will destroy theharlotlike organization?

Jehovah God will put “his thought” into the hearts of “the ten horns” of the “scarlet-colored wild beast.”

These horns represent all the present political powers that give support to the United Nations, an organization pictured by the “scarlet-colored wild beast.”Read 

Hello guest!
    Hello guest!

Why do we conclude that the destruction of Babylon the Great does not mean the death of all religious people?

Should we conclude, though, that thedestruction of the religions of Babylon theGreat results in the death of all the former members of those religions? Apparently not. The prophet Zechariah was inspired to write about that time. Speaking of someone who was previously part of false religion, the account states: “He will say, ‘I am no prophet. I am a man cultivating the soil, because a man bought me when I was young.’ And if someone asks him, ‘What are these wounds between your shoulders?’ he will answer, ‘Wounds I received in the house of my friends.’” (

Hello guest!
)

So, apparently, even some of the clergy will abandon their religious course and deny that they were ever part of those false religions.

How will God’s people fare at that time?

Jesus explains: “In fact, unless those days were cut short, no flesh would be saved; but on account of the chosen ones those days will be cut short.” (

Hello guest!
) As we considered, in 66 C.E. the tribulation was “cut short.” This allowed “the chosen ones,” anointed Christians, to flee the city and its environs.

Likewise, the initial part of the future great tribulation will be “cut short” because of “the chosen ones.” The political “ten horns” will not be allowed to annihilate God’s people. Rather, there will be a brief respite.

IMG_0604.JPG

IMG_0605.JPG

IMG_0659.JPG

8 minutes ago, Bible Speaks said:

@Anna If you agree with a statement it proves so be it! If I didn't like be worried? ???

I thought by posting it you are already agreeing with it. Why would you post something you don't agree with?

3 hours ago, Anna said:

Sometimes we have to be careful that we don't single ourselves out as being the only religion that is persecuted, because that simply is not true

It's not necessary to bash other religions here, it's not a subject I'm trying to focus attention on or wish to continue.

BUT

As is usual, especially with the evangelicals, they are letting Jehovah's Witnesses do their heavy lifting for them, because they fear perhaps they will be the next group to be accosted. Read around and you will see that this is (once again) true.

They hold back. Whatever support they offer is very tepid, because Jehovah's Witnesses are a cult that does not believe in the Trinity. If we win, they will latch on for the ride. Will they be grateful? Not for a second. We will continue to be maligned as a cult that fully deserves whatever bad comes upon it.

When Putin opens my letter, he will be disheartened. He will see several paragraphs. He will want with all his heart to read it, but he has several million other letters to get through. He will toss the letter.

He will then open the next letter and discover, as he suspected from the envelope, that it is from a child. It includes drawings, one of a sad little girl because Putin is being mean to her nice friends, and one from a happy little girl, because he has had a change of heart. Putin will smile faintly, for everyone loves children. He will put this letter aside. Possibly he will show it to his grandchildren someday.

He will open the next letter. It will also be from me – not the same letter, but worded and reasoned upon completely anew. He will roll his eyes. “Another letter from that windbag Harley,” he will mutter, and toss it in the trash.

How many letters will Putin get? Eight million, at a minimum, as every Witness in the world will write him. They only had to be invited once, and they instantly responded. Putin has never seen anything like it and he will not forget it. It will not necessarily melt his heart. It may make him mad. He has a country to run. He has a world infested with verbal assassins he must stay abreast of. He even has would-be physical assassins, and one of them succeeded in taking out his favorite limosine driver, a no-doubt decent man. So he may not like it that Jehovah’s Witnesses try to flood his Kremlin and paralyze him, like the Dr. Suess king mired in oobleck.

I apologize to him. I really do. Unfortunately, the well-being of my brothers is at stake, and we feel we must get his attention somehow. He is being given bad advice by religionists. If he takes it, he will look like an utter fool on the world stage because nobody can read JW materials, online or in print, and think them extremist. Perhaps he should get mad at those who would maneuver him into such a ridiculous position.

Most likely, the eight million is just for starters. Six addresses are listed. Many Witnesses will send their same letter to all six, bringing the total to – say, 30 million. Yuri will not be jealous that Dmitry received the same letter as he. Some comfortable in writing will compose several letters and send each to all six. Make that 50 million. Then there will be non-Witness, human rights people. These will write in numbers of far less percentage, but there are far more of them. There will be some who don’t like Jehovah’s Witnesses and support the ban. Not to mention outright opposers who will be cheerleaders for him to take harsher measures. Will that bring the total to 60 million? More? Your guess is as good as mine.

Will letters from opposers fool him? I doubt it. He will say: “Look, I can see why Harley would write me, and all his 8 million chums. But what about this loser? Is he pretending he is somehow my friend who would warn me of a great danger? Is he not part of the general world who was last week (in the U.S.) called me a thug and a murderer?”

Putin may have them all sunk at sea and never read one. But he cannot fail to know of their existence and will perhaps wonder: ‘what would the world be like if everyone behaved as do these JWs, transcending national, racial, and social divisions to show loving concern for their spiritual brothers?

Letters from millions of people from all over the world and in different languages? Who will open them, sort them, translate them? Hardly Putin. He will probably sample a few. I worked for top executives  for many years and never knew one to open letters.  At best it might be delegated to some officer who will manage the whole affair and do some kind of précis of them, that is, if the whole lot are not discarded.

That doesn't mean that I did not write mine but not to Putin.  The very fact that we did something shows that we are giving Jehovah something to bless. But Putin opening thousands of letters? Hardly.  Wishful thinking.

I agree with several of you that ours is not the only religion that is being persecuted. I did read an article about a Baptist minister that has been there for six years or so who was arrested under the same charge and is now leaving his missionary field and returning to USA. However, most other religions are being persecuted as individual churches or groups. Ours is the only one (at least at this time) that is persecuted in-mass. Congregations do not even have to have violated their extremist laws personally to risk being shutdown and having assets confiscated and members jailed for worship of the only true God. 

2 hours ago, Dennis Gilman said:

I also expected the same of Putin.  I sent letters to all six of the persons listed.

@Dennis Gilman I agree! Of course they won't read the letters. However, if they got 49,000.000 letters total, each official got 6 x 8,220,000 Witnesses, even young ones, it will send out a LOUD ANNOUNCEMENT to the Russian Federation and Putin that look at the response! They thought they were only dealing with 175,000 JW's Russian? No, we are a United People Worldwide and Love are whole family! Numbers will speak that the World is watching, and Jehovah's Witnesses are United with their God Jehovah! To me that shows we are bigger than he thought? He may not know or understand we have the Creator of this Universe behind us! The Nations will soon all know Jehovah! Psalms  chapter 2 says it all.

Agape, Bible Speaks ???

17 hours ago, David Normand said:

I agree with several of you that ours is not the only religion that is being persecuted. I did read an article about a Baptist minister that has been there for six years or so who was arrested under the same charge and is now leaving his missionary field and returning to USA. However, most other religions are being persecuted as individual churches or groups. Ours is the only one (at least at this time) that is persecuted in-mass. Congregations do not even have to have violated their extremist laws personally to risk being shutdown and having assets confiscated and members jailed for worship of the only true God. 

YES NEARLY ALL THE CHURCHES OTHER THAN THE RUSSIAN ORTHODOX HAVE EXPERIENCED SOME KIND OF REPRESSION AND PERSECUTION. [EVEN THE CATHOLIC CHURCH HAS HAD PROBLEMS  WHICH ONLY NUMBERS 600,000 IN RUSSIA COMPARED WITH 100 MILLION ROC].  BUT WHAT STANDS OUT IS THAT AT LEAST AT THIS TIME IT IS ONLY JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES THAT ARE BEING TARGETED FOR ELIMINATION BY BANNING THE ENTIRE RELIGION. THAT FACT ALONE STOOD OUT TO MY BIBLE STUDY AND IT IS THAT FACT THAT MADE HIM REALIZE THAT THE WITNESSES ARE STANDING OUT AS DIFFERENT, NOT BECAUSE OF PERSECUTION BUT OF GOING UNDER BAN. EVEN IF IT DOSEN'T HAPPEN THE FACT IS STILL THERE THAT IT WAS ONLY THE WITNESSES AS MANY SECULAR JOURNALIST HAVE RECENTLY NOTICED THAT HAVE BEEN SINGULARLY TARGETED FOR ELIMINATION BY BANNING. tHE CHANGES IN THE EXTREMIST LAWS IN 2006 AND 2015 SOME HAVE NOTED THE PARTICULAR DETAILS THAT MAINLY AFFECT PRIMARILY JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES AS THEY ARE THE ONLY ONES WHO COVER THE ENTIRE SPECTRUM OF WHAT RUSSIA'S LAWS DEEM EXTREMIST - DOOR TO DOOR EVANGELISM, BLOOD TRANSFUSIONS, PRINTING AND MANY OTHERS.

ONE ITEM OF INTEREST REGARDING JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES AS STANDING OUT AS DIFFERENT AND HATED BY OTHERS  IS IF YOU GO TO THE WEBSITE "RELIGIOUS TOLERANCE" {ONTARIO CONSULTANTS ON RELIGIOUS TOLERANCE] IT DISCUSSES THE BELIEFS OF THOUSANDS OF RELIGIONS. OUT OF THOSE THOUSANDS OF RELIGION ONLY ONE HAS A DISCLAIMER AT THE VERY BEGINNING OF THE SECTION ON THE WITNESSES. IT SAYS : 

"Note: Please don't send us abusive Emails that
attack the WTS. This section is about the WTS;
It is not an official Jehovah's Witness website.

We receive an enormous number of complaint Emails critical of our description of the Jehovah's Witnesses as a Christian denomination. Many Christians have a much more restrictive definition of the term "Christian" than we do. Before sending us a complaint Email, please read our essay on the diversity of 

Hello guest!
  Also please note that we do not respond to abusive or obscene Emails which unfortunately form the majority of Emails on this topic."

NOT EVEN THE SECTION ABOUT MUSLIMS HAVE ANY DISCLAIMER OR ANY THING REMOTELY LIKE THE ABOVE. WHY WOULD ONLY JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES BE TARGETED FOR "ABUSIVE EMAILS" AS THIS WEBSITE NOTES?  I BELIEVE IT IS BECAUSE WE ARE "NO PART OF THE WORLD" AND THAT IS WHY THE WORLD [AND APOSTATES WHO WOULD SEND "ABUSIVE" EMAIL] HATE US AND WHY WE STAND OUT AS COMPLETELY DIFFERENT IN THIS ASPECT AS COMPARED TO THOUSANDS OF OTHER RELIGIONS BOTH LARGE AND SMALL !!!

3 minutes ago, AllenSmith said:

Personally, I was hoping to read True Tom’s rendition of the Twisted Sister - We're Not Gonna Take It song, as a rolling commentary, oh well!

The point of this exercise was to give our brothers in Russia hope with solidarity. Psalm 133:1 Context: How Pleasant to Live in Unity!

AGREE AS JAMES SAID "CONSIDER IT JOY WHEN YOU MEET WITH VARIOUS TRIALS". OUR RUSSIAN BROTHERS KNOW THE END IS NEAR AND THEY HAVE HOPE FOR THE FUTURE AS WE DO IF WE HAVE J.O.Y. THAT IS PUT JEHOVAH FIRST, OTHERS SECOND AND YOURSELF LAST = JOY.

4 hours ago, Melinda Mills said:

Letters from millions of people from all over the world and in different languages? Who will open them, sort them, translate them? Hardly Putin. He will probably sample a few. I worked for top executives  for many years and never knew one to open letters.  At best it might be delegated to some officer who will manage the whole affair and do some kind of précis of them, that is, if the whole lot are not discarded.

That doesn't mean that I did not write mine but not to Putin.  The very fact that we did something shows that we are giving Jehovah something to bless. But Putin opening thousands of letters? Hardly.  Wishful thinking.

I think True Tom was just being "poetic" not realistic. He is a writer you know, they can't help themselves :D. No offense @TrueTomHarley it was a good read :)

It's hard to imagine that traffic to jw.org will not increase, perhaps even explode. In view of the publicity, people will want to see if it is truly extremist. This may be especially true with those we find difficult to reach: the newsworthy and well-connected. What will be the result when they discover that it is not?

Perhaps that is the greatest contribution our Russian brothers make to Jehovah.

True, some are preaching the Christ out of envy and rivalry, but others out of goodwill. The latter are proclaiming the Christ out of love, for they know that I have been appointed to defend the good news; but the former do it out of contentiousness, not with a pure motive, for they are intending to create trouble for me in my prison bonds. With what result? Only that in every way, whether in pretense or in truth, Christ is being proclaimed, and I rejoice over this. ...  Phillipians 1:15-18

13 hours ago, TrueTomHarley said:

It's hard to imagine that traffic to jw.org will not increase, perhaps even explode. In view of the publicity, people will want to see if it is truly extremist. This may be especially true with those we find difficult to reach: the newsworthy and well-connected. What will be the result when they discover that it is not?

Perhaps that is the greatest contribution our Russian brothers make to Jehovah.

True, some are preaching the Christ out of envy and rivalry, but others out of goodwill. The latter are proclaiming the Christ out of love, for they know that I have been appointed to defend the good news; but the former do it out of contentiousness, not with a pure motive, for they are intending to create trouble for me in my prison bonds. With what result? Only that in every way, whether in pretense or in truth, Christ is being proclaimed, and I rejoice over this. ...  Phillipians 1:15-18

Here is a nice bit of trivia I heard: IF we have sent 9 million letters to one official (a realistic possibility) and each envelope is 1mm thick and  stacked on top of the other, then they will reach higher than Mt. Everest :). I like this visual. Better than the picture of a US post office with Christmas mail, hailed as our letters to Russia. Yes, this was circulated on social media and thousands fell for it, just like they did with the "announcement at morning worship" :S

Agree,  Ann. Seems like you can post any old picture or video with any date about some current event and call it something and people would believe it and forward it to others.  Witnesses  should learn to spot fake news and evaluate information as they should be more attuned to what is truthful.  We  were warned in the Kingdom Ministry years ago when the Internet was new.

17 minutes ago, Melinda Mills said:

Agree,  Ann. Seems like you can post any old picture or video with any date about some current event and call it something and people would believe it and forward it to others.  Witnesses  should learn to spot fake news and evaluate information as they should be more attuned to what is truthful.  We  were warned in the Kingdom Ministry years ago when the Internet was new.

Yes. Not only that, but it doesn't cease to amaze me that we still have a hard time understanding that all our info. (pertaining to spiritual and/or organizational matters) always (should) come either from the Bible, via a letter read to the cong. or on the website. Any other means is hearsay or opinion. As regards the veracity of pictures shared, well a little bit of common sense definitely helps! :D

@Anna Perhaps you should only stick to jw.org? People can like their own opinions and posts. Many do sharing their own opinions, but contrast to other sites, this is called theworldnewsmedia.org There is no confusion. If something offends you perhaps stay around from the post. Many work hard here to share their thoughts. So please don't offend yourself from asking them to have your opinions. We are all accountable and many do very well in their work. Agape, Bible Speaks ???

35 minutes ago, Bible Speaks said:

@Anna Liking something it like giving it second approval. Or the saying "so be it!" Think of the positives here, we only care about others, we "like" to encourage all. Thank you for "liking" us too!               Agape, Bible Speaks ???

57a.jpg

On 4/1/2017 at 11:19 PM, John Lindsay Barltrop said:

True Tom, your mention of Kim Jong Un reminded me of this cartoon:

......and of course we have rasPutin, "he mad monk" and Donald "Duck" in the US

oops..........the mad monk........sorry, forgot the "t"

McCain calls Kim Jong-un "that crazy fat kid running North Korea." Says he must be stopped. The crazy fat kid threatens to nuke America over the insult. (In covering the story, the Guardian included photos of Kim touring two pastry plants each wearing a wide grin on his face!

High U.S. officials signal the time for patience is over, previous policies have failed.

A few days ago, in response to some remark or other, Kim said that if a single bullet was fired, NK would nuke America. 

He can't yet reach America, though he is working hard on it and will be able to soon. But Japan and South Korea are understandably scared out of their pants..

In the face of such potentially catastrophic news, what is the top story in Russia these days? @bruceq tells us: 

It is the Russian extremism story

What you have said there Tom certainly agrees with news items that I have read over the past week or so............I try to keep abreast of world news, because I find it to be useful in the ministry, it can assist in having a friendly chat to someone, who initially, may not be interested in the message we bear concerning the Good News........this way, I find, can start the conversation off in "neutral territory"........but, of course it does not work all the time! 

4 hours ago, Anna said:

Is that a rhetorical question or you want my opinion? :D:D ....No, you don't.

You think that's funny?  ...Yes, I do, too.

Actually my original response (up there about Santa and Mt Everest and pushing the envelope) was going to be part of a dumb joke which I realized wasn't going to be very funny or easily understood. So I thought better of it, and only left a portion of my response, which makes even less sense on its own. Carry on. Nothing to see here.

14 hours ago, Anna said:

US post office with Christmas mail,

Which one was this?

13 hours ago, Bible Speaks said:

People can like their own opinions and posts.

They can indeed.......and do extensively. But there is a gentle reminder at Proverbs 27:2......

"Let someone else praise you, and not your own mouth; Others, and not your own lips."

Should the decision go against us, there will be much hand-wringing. We should keep in mind:

(Yikes! On another thread, I am flagged as an abuser and the entire thread is taken down! "Behave, TrueTom!" they said)

Being the Supreme Court, there may be no appeals left. If the decision goes bad on us, our Russian brothers become like the Hebrews 11 Christians, who walked about under duress, 'and the world was not worthy of them.' It happens with good precedent in a world not friendly to Christians. Jesus was not summoned before Pilate to receive a good citizenship plaque, was he?

4 hours ago, JW Insider said:

You think that's funny?  ...Yes, I do, too.

Actually my original response (up there about Santa and Mt Everest and pushing the envelope) was going to be part of a dumb joke which I realized wasn't going to be very funny or easily understood. So I thought better of it, and only left a portion of my response, which makes even less sense on its own. Carry on. Nothing to see here.

Awww you should have! This feed, including "bible speaks" defense rhetoric was getting my funny juices flowing (hence the memes) I probably would have enjoyed it. But you're probably right about the easily understood part. You know I received my first negative like on here? (Oh, I dont have the crying smiley I was going to insert here) And I thought it was a pretty good comment. Perhaps I should have liked it myself. :D:D

2 hours ago, TrueTomHarley said:

Should the decision go against us, there will be much hand-wringing. We should keep in mind:

(Yikes! On another thread, I am flagged as an abuser and the entire thread is taken down! "Behave, TrueTom!" they said)

Being the Supreme Court, there may be no appeals left. If the decision goes bad on us, our Russian brothers become like the Hebrews 11 Christians, who walked about under duress, 'and the world was not worthy of them.' It happens with good precedent in a world not friendly to Christians. Jesus was not summoned before Pilate to receive a good citizenship plaque, was he?

I see your point; however Hebrews chapter 11 discusses pre Christian witnesses of Jehovah. 

".........Jesus was not summoned before Pilate to receive a good citizenship plaque, was he?"

Tom, this comment reminded me of an experience that I had, not long after the Memorial campaign began. An older lady, after she took the invitation and the Watchtower, asked me if I knew who killed Jesus, I replied, "Of course I do, it was the first century religious leaders of the Jews" That said her whole demeanor changed and went on to tell me that all her family were very strict Jews and said, that it was the gypsies that instigated the death of Jesus, and something about the "golden key" she went to great pains to tell me not many people knew that.......I think that she may be right on that account ............must be one of the "Brothers Grimm" fairy tales!!!!!.........I guess there is first time for everything??

It reminds me of an ancient Catholic woman I spoke with years ago, furious with me because I had said Jesus was not born on Christmas day. "He was to! At MIDNIGHT!"

57 minutes ago, David Normand said:

I see your point; however Hebrews chapter 11 discusses pre Christian witnesses of Jehovah. 

True

In a number of photos you can see the presence in the room of brother Sanderson from the governing body, along with those responsible for the work in the Russian Federation.

IMG_1286.JPG

IMG_1287.JPG

IMG_1288.JPG

IMG_1289.JPG

Hello guest!

IMG_1285.PNG

NBC news report on Jehovah's Witnesses letter writing campaign to Russia #stopjwban #jw

IMG_1293.PNG

14 hours ago, Eoin Joyce said:

US post office with Christmas mail,

Here it is. And the caption says "Mail in the USA. All these are letters to Russian officials in defense of Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia". Don't worry about the privacy of that person, their Instagram account is public. The sad thing is this person was repeatedly informed that these are not our letters by a large number of the friends in the comments. She deleted all the comments and disabled further commenting. The even sadder thing is I have a feeling she is stubbornly keeping her post there because it has over 1500 likes, (which shows how many were duped) and all her other posts have barely 40, so she must be very proud of it! This picture was shared like wildfire by many others on all the social media as our letters to Russia ...... :S:SqqwCbSQGiII.jpg

• “The Governing Body of Jehovah’s Witnesses wants to heighten attention to this critical situation,” states David A. Semonian, a spokesman at the Witnesses’ world headquarters. “Prosecuting non-violent, law-abiding citizens as if they were terrorists is clearly a misapplication of anti-extremist laws. Such prosecution is based on completely false grounds.”

This is 100% correct, and anyone interested in religious freedom, Jehovah's Witnesses or not, should be interested in what we are doing here. We could probably find people to join us in the campaign who are not even JWs.

I am concerned, though, that there might be a Rutherfordization effort going on here, too. Included in the campaign is the name of a Russian Supreme Court judge. The WTS is aware of the law being broken by attempting to directly sway a judge assigned to a case. For those who don't already know, I'll explain what is meant by Rutherfordization is after the dust settles. (Assuming it settles.)

The institutional credibility gap of such things is ALWAYS more than offset by the institutional gullibility fill.

When education is openly and continuously disparaged, as it has been in the Truth for over 50 years, the Brothers and Sisters lose their critical thinking skills, and every year get more and more ignorant ... and this is the result.

The picture part of the video at our Hall is not working for three weeks, can get only audio sometimes. (Three congregations share the Hall.) That should say something about qualifications. I watched all the videos on Youtube, although I tend to use my own presentation, incorporating some of the pointers only if I am really impressed.

@JW Insider This is 100% correct, and anyone interested in religious freedom, Jehovah's Witnesses or not, should be interested in what we are doing here. We could probably find people to join us in the campaign who are not even JWs.

I agree the WORLD IS WATCHING! I have many concerned following me from churches and Pastors. They will learn who we are and WHO JEHOVAH is! This is Big and other countries may do the same based on what happens here. We know when it's perfect timing Jehovah God will have His Name Proclaimed throughout the earth, the Nations will know I am Jehovah! Then destruction comes. My favorite verses are Psalms chapter 2 where Jehovah says, 

"Why are the nations agitated And the peoples muttering

Hello guest!
 an empty thing?

Hello guest!
The kings of the earth take their stand And high officials gather together
    Hello guest!
as one 
Against Jehovah and against his anointed one.

Hello guest!
They say: “Let us tear off their shackles And throw off their ropes!”

Hello guest!
The One enthroned in the heavens will laugh; Jehovah will scoff at them.

Hello guest!
At that time he will speak to them in his anger And terrify them in his burning anger,

Hello guest!
Saying: “I myself have installed my king On Zion, my holy mountain.”

Hello guest!
Let me proclaim the decree of Jehovah; He said to me: “You are my son; Today I have become your father.

Hello guest!
Ask of me, and I will give nations as your inheritance And the ends of the earth as your possession.

Hello guest!
You will break them with an iron scepter, And you will smash them like a piece of pottery.”

Hello guest!
So now, you kings, show insight; Accept correction, you judges of the earth.

Hello guest!
Serve Jehovah with fear, And rejoice with trembling.

Hello guest!
Honor the son, or God will become indignant And you will perish from the way, For His anger flares up quickly. Happy are all those taking refuge in Him."

We are living in exciting times! Jehovah will bless His people! His name will be vindicated forever! Keep close to Jehovah! He will never fail His purpose His Kingdom through Christ Jesus will usher in His New Government soon! Thank you, Bible Speaks ???

IMG_1320.PNG

2 hours ago, James Thomas Rook Jr. said:

The institutional credibility gap of such things is ALWAYS more than offset by the institutional gullibility fill.

When education is openly and continuously disparaged, as it has been in the Truth for over 50 years, the Brothers and Sisters lose their critical thinking skills, and every year get more and more ignorant ... and this is the result.

While some of our brothers are not the sharpest tools in the drawer, I doubt this is because of their Witness training. More likely, their Witness training sharpens their skills.

You have only to look at the news media or political world, where highly educated persons routinely reveal  themselves to be dumber than plants. If our people conduct themselves unwisely on the internet, so does everyone else. 

Enemies will always find something to pounce on. if two letters go to the judge, whether they actually stem from our people or not, haters can seize upon those two letters and ignore the 50 million others. It happens all the time in the political world and most other venues.

@TrueTomHarley Pray about it, I will. We have the most miraculous power in the Universe, Jehovah can perform miracles if a donkey can speak and 1 angel can destroy 185,000 in one night! We are in for fireworks ? Remember at the edge of the Red Sea? It seemed hopeless? Jehovah is a mighty warrior and we have never witnessed His power! We will all be amazed and proud of who we are! Pick up the weak and carry them, they maybe complainers but Jehovah knows their heart. Life is a bowl ? of cherries ? with the pits! Let's pray for strength for the Brotherhood and proclaim Jehovah's Name loud and clear. No fear He is near!

?????⚔️???

3 hours ago, James Thomas Rook Jr. said:

You are right in part about the critical thinking skills, but that is no fault of the organization I feel, I don't think the organization discourages critical thinking, on the contrary. You don't necessarily have to go to college to "get an education", you can educate yourself quite well by being inquisitive and by reading a lot, and that's up to each individual. I believe in these particular instances the gullibility comes from being too trusting of the brothers and wishing these things were true. It's like they are already living in paradise, but in the present world it's more like La La land. It's note worthy though that many people in the world lack critical thinking also. You only have to go and read the comments after some news article and the "logic" is amazing. It's like the whole of mankind is either infantile, or cynical to the extreme, there seems to be no happy medium and  common sense any more.

It would appear that Russia has a couple of other things "on its plate" apart from our Brothers.........

1. REAL extremists, i.e. St Petersburg

2.  I just caught sight of this in a BBC news web page:- Syria chemical 'attack': Russia faces fury at UN Security Council.........Matthew Rycroft, the UK's ambassador to the UN, told the Security Council that Mr Assad had "humiliated" Russia by "making a mockery" of the peace process it had brokered with some rebel groups. "What is your plan?" he asked. "What is your plan to stop these horrific senseless attacks? We had a plan and we had the support and you rejected it to protect Assad." Russia and China have blocked attempts to impose sanctions on Syria........

Reminds me of our recent weekly Bible reading - Jeremiah 6:14 And they try to heal the breakdown of my people lightly, saying, ‘There is peace! There is peace!’ When there is no peace.

Sigh ...

TTH has once again ignored the context of my reply .. and commented about things not in evidence in my post.

It's like trying to find the end of a bare roll of transparent tape with your fingernail.

"... there are three apples in the basket ..."

Reply: " ... wrong!, because baskets are used by evil people to store greasy auto parts ..."

12 minutes ago, James Thomas Rook Jr. said:

Sigh ...

TTH has once again ignored the context of my reply .. and commented about things not in evidence in my post.

No,no. Overlords have rebuked me. I am nice for now. You, too. Nothing nasty intended.

Sigh ...

I have to give you this ... you are 100% consistent.

Instead of addressing the idea and concept of context, and the issues involved, you wander off to how you have been treated, and apologize for something that did not happen.

Perhaps you could work on those critical thinking skills, as well as reading comprehension skills. 

At the United States Naval Academy, they have a class that is divided in half, and one half tries to write instructions to the other half that absolutely cannot be misinterpreted. The other half of the class deliberately tries to misinterpret the instructions.   It is graded.

Then they switch sides and do the same thing, over and over..  That too is graded.  This is how they learn critical thinking skills.

Information, and a lot of it .. is NOT wisdom.

Information is knowing a tomato is a fruit.

Wisdom is knowing you don't want to put it in a fruit salad.

The Universe grades all of our thinking skills, and it is impartial, and without mercy.

@John Lindsay Barltrop How true! It reminds me of one of my favorite songs, song 149 "A Victory Song" and won't that have a greater significance after Armageddon?

I  am ready for fireworks ? I've been in Truth baptized 48 years. Many prophets and men and women of faith look forward to the promises being fulfilled. Faith is essential! Strong faith will keep us alive and we will help more to "see" Jehovah now before it is too late. Rejoice in Jehovah! Armies of heaven are waiting His command! 

IMG_9983.JPG

asset.gif

12 hours ago, Melinda Mills said:

The picture part of the video at our Hall is not working for three weeks, can get only audio sometimes. (Three congregations share the Hall.) That should say something about qualifications. I watched all the videos on Youtube, although I tend to use my own presentation, incorporating some of the pointers only if I am really impressed.

We share out hall with three other congregations. Several weeks ago one of the other congregations adjusted the sound, and not knowing exactly what they were doing literally blew up one of the overhead speakers. At that point the kingdom hall operating committee decided to have a meeting with all the sound folks from all four congregations to go over protocol with respects to the sound system. Sadly, some brothers learn via hands on training and that is not always the most efficient or best way to learn. 

1 hour ago, David Normand said:

We share out hall with three other congregations. Several weeks ago one of the other congregations adjusted the sound, and not knowing exactly what they were doing literally blew up one of the overhead speakers. At that point the kingdom hall operating committee decided to have a meeting with all the sound folks from all four congregations to go over protocol with respects to the sound system. Sadly, some brothers learn via hands on training and that is not always the most efficient or best way to learn. 

Might be a somewhat similar situation at our Hall too. Thanks for sharing.

11 hours ago, Bible Speaks said:

Jehovah is a mighty warrior and we have never witnessed His power! We will all be amazed and proud of who we are! Pick up the weak and carry them, they maybe complainers but Jehovah knows their heart.

Excellent! Love it!

@Melinda Mills @John Lindsay Barltrop This came to my mind...will do a post with picture I make up.

What will servants of God be expected to do once they come under attack? 

Again, the reaction of God’s typical nation in the days of Jehoshaphat sets the pattern. Note that its citizens were commanded to do three things: (1) take their position, (2) stand still, and(3) see the salvation of Jehovah. How will God’s people today act in harmony with these words?—2 Chronicles 20:17.

What does it mean for Jehovah’s people to take their position?

Take their position: Without wavering, God’s people will continue to hold to their position of active support for God’s Kingdom. They will continue to maintain their position of Christian neutrality. They will be “steadfast, unmovable” in their loyal service to Jehovah and will continue publicly to praise Jehovah for his loving-kindness. (1 Corinthians 15:58; Psalm 118:28, 29) No present or future pressure can shake them from this divinely approved position.

In what respects will Jehovah’s servants stand still?

Stand still: Jehovah’s servants will not try to save themselves but will place their implicit trust in Jehovah. Only he is capable of rescuing his servants out of world chaos, and he has promised to do so. (Isaiah 43:10, 11; 54:15;Lamentations 3:26) Trusting in Jehovah will include trusting the modern visible channel that he has clearly been using for decades to serve his purposes. As never before, true Christians will then need to place their confidence in fellow worshipers authorized by Jehovah and his reigning King to take the lead. These faithful men will direct God’s people. Ignoring their direction could end in disaster.—Matthew 24:45-47; Hebrews 13:7, 17.

Why will God’s faithful servants see the salvation of Jehovah?

See the salvation of Jehovah: Salvation will be the reward for all those who hold to their position of Christian integrity and who trust in Jehovah for deliverance. Until the final hour—and to the extent they can—they will announce the arrival of the day of Jehovah’s judgment. All creation must know that Jehovah is the true God and that he has faithful servants on earth. Never again will there be the need for a prolonged controversy over the rightfulness of Jehovah’s sovereignty.—Ezekiel 33:33; 36:23.

(a) How does the victory song in Exodus chapter 15 reflect the feelings of those who will survive Gog’s attack? (b) What is it appropriate for God’s people to do now?

With renewed energy, God’s people will enter into the new world, eager to sing a victory song, even as did the Israelites of old after their deliverance through the Red Sea. Forever grateful to Jehovah for his protection, individually and collectively, they will echo words of long ago: “Let me sing to Jehovah, for he has become highly exalted. . . . Jehovah is a manly person of war. Jehovah is his name. . . . Your right hand, O Jehovah, can shatter an enemy. And in the abundance of your superiority you can throw down those who rise up against you; you send out your burning anger, it eats them up like stubble. . . . You in your loving-kindness have led the people whom you have recovered; you in your strength will certainly conduct them to your holy abiding place. . . . You will bring them and plant them in the mountain of your inheritance, an established place that you have made ready for you to inhabit, O Jehovah, a sanctuary, O Jehovah, that your hands have established. Jehovah will rule as king to time indefinite, even forever.”—Exodus 15:1-19.

Now with the prospect of everlasting life brighter than ever before, what an opportune time for God’s servants to demonstrate their devotion to Jehovah and to renew their determination to serve him as their everlasting King!—1 Chronicles 29:11-13.

Hello guest!

Thank you Jehovah! You truly keep us blessed and Unified to bear your Name!

???