The World News Media

Do You Practice Giving? All The Time, Or For Showing To Others?

Bible Speaks

Lesson for today. (Heb 13:16)  One of the best ways to be generous is to give of ourselves in word and deed. How can we do that? By using our time and energy to help and encourage others. (Gal. 6:10)

To test how we are doing in this regard, we might ask ourselves: ‘Do others sense that I’m willing to give of myself and listen to their concerns? If someone asks for assistance with a project or an errand, do I say yes whenever possible? When was the last time that I gave sincere commendation to a family member or a fellow believer?’

When we “practice giving,” we are sure to draw closer both to Jehovah and to our friends. Some people associate generosity with those who have a surplus of material things.

However, when we read the Bible’s account concerning the widow who dropped into the treasury chest “two small coins of very little value,” we can appreciate that generosity is measured, not by quantity, but by the proper inclination of the heart.—Luke 21:1-4  

Jehovah appreciates every gift, no matter how small, that stems from a heart motivated by love. And he richly blesses those who imitate his generosity by giving of their time, energy, or material resources in behalf of his Kingdom.

After reviewing several studies on altruism, happiness, and health, researcher Stephen G. Post concluded that being altruistic and extending help to others are associated with greater longevity, an improved sense of well-being, and better physical and mental health, including a reduction in depression.

Moreover, those who give generously according to their means do not suffer loss because of it. Says Proverbs 11:25: “A generous man will prosper; he who refreshes others will himself be refreshed.” (New International Version) In harmony with those words, people who are truly generous at heart—who do not give with a view to repayment—are appreciated and loved, especially by God.  
http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2000289#h=1:0-6:259

IMG_0098.JPG

• Views 609
  • Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lesson for today. (Heb 13:16)  One of the best ways to be generous is to give of ourselves in word and deed. How can we do that? By using our time and energy to help and encourage others. (Gal. 6:10)

Posted Images

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.