The World News Media

President Monson remains hospitalized, LDS church confirms

The Librarian

SALT LAKE CITY (KUTV) President Thomas S. Monson, leader of the Mormon church, is alive but remains hospitalized according to the LDS church. 

Rumors circulating on Twitter suggested that the man regarded as a prophet, by millions of Mormons, passed away Wednesday. A spokesman for the church responded to an inquiry from KUTV. 

Monson was hospitalized Monday evening.

"President Monson was not feeling well last evening and was admitted to the hospital. He has received treatment and fluids and will hopefully be released soon," LDS church spokesman Eric Hawkins said Tuesday.

Monson addressed the world-wide conference for the church he leads, speaking twice during the weekend's five two hour blocks that feature musical numbers and church leaders speaking to crowds in the church's Conference Center and world wide by way of satellite broadcast. During his Sunday address, the leader announced five new LDS temples.

Church members are concerned for Monson who is a beloved figure for those in the faith. Members at Temple Square, near the church's world-wide headquarters in Salt Lake City said they were praying for their prophet.

“I love him and I actually met him once and he was just the happiest humblest man For him to be in the hospital is like oh no," church member Courtney Kemp said. She said her prayer for him was "That he may have peace and comfort in his situation right now."

Another member, Ashlie Haskin, had similar sentiments.

“I just hope that he is feeling comfort and peace and that his family feeling peace. He's worked hard and clearly he's given so much time and service,” Haskin said.

“I love him i really love him. He's a great man," another member, Carlos Gerez said.

Serving as the 16th president of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Monson has been in the position since Feb. 3, 2008, when he took the place of previous president Gordon B. Hinkley.

Monson was born in Salt Lake City, on August 21, 1927.

• Views 1k
  • Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.