The World News Media

Is Easter Really a Christian Celebration? ??

Bible Speaks

3 hours ago, Bible Speaks said:

@The Librarian The picture gives it away with being red and crosses on them? Have you read anywhere these are used in Greek Orthodox Churches?

The Wikipedia article on Easter Egg gives a picture of one these styled eggs and says it is from a Greek Orthodox Church https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter_egg:

220px-Red_Paschal_Egg_with_Cross.JPG

Red coloured Easter egg with Christian cross, from the Saint Kosmas Aitolos Greek Orthodox Monastery

1 hour ago, Ann O'Maly said:

I don't know exactly what s/he says from the preview or where the author gets the idea that coloring eggs originated from the practice of sacrificing infants and using their blood, but I strongly suspect that its completely made up. 

I suspect the same. The writer probably came across the same idea that is also presented in the Wikipedia article:

The Christian custom of Easter eggs, specifically, started among the early Christians of Mesopotamia, who stained eggs with red colouring "in memory of the blood of Christ, shed at His crucifixion".[6][7][8][9]

That idea isn't a perfect fit for the rest of the article about paganism, therefore, it probably seemed useful to replace "the blood of Christ" with "blood of sacrificed infants." You have to admit that the latter has a more pagan ring to it.

By the way, the references linked as 6,7,8,9 in the quote above point to some overlapping evidence, most of which sounded very weak to me.

• Views 8.7k
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have no interest in celebrating Easter, and it's obvious that the rabbit and egg fertility symbols are completely out of place. I'm glad that the Watchtower points these things out. But there does c

Constantine was not an emperor in the 3rd century.

@JW Insider   J O K E R...... 

Posted Images

@AllenSmith Interesting! Mystical I did read in my links also. Do you have the link where this is from? Thank you for your research. People really don't understand what all this means. Through the ages and different countries we still see how false ideas even continued to be taught. Are we not happy to know the Truth of God's Word? One day, all these false teachings will be gone! Let God's Kingdom come!

?????

Do the traditions of Easter have anything to do with the resurrection?
The customs of Easter involving bunnies, colored eggs, candles, and lilies were all adapted from pagan religions, as was the name Easter itself. None of these things have anything to do with the resurrection of Jesus, which Easter purports to represent. Does it matter ?

Yes  -  God’s  Word commands us to separate ourselves from false  religion and to  “worship the Father with spirit and truth.”

John 4:23  -  2 Corinthians 6:17

IMG_1653.PNG

...........hence the rather appropriate rendering of "Babylon the Great" at (Revelation 17:1, 2, 5, 6) . . .“Come, I will show you the judgment on the great prostitute who sits on many waters, 2 with whom the kings of the earth committed sexual immorality, and earth’s inhabitants were made drunk with the wine of her sexual immorality.” 5 On her forehead was written a name, a mystery: “Babylon the Great, the mother of the prostitutes and of the disgusting things of the earth.” 6 And I saw that the woman was drunk with the blood of the holy ones and with the blood of the witnesses of Jesus.

@John Lindsay Barltrop Yes, more blood guilty! Has she not Blessed the wars and guns before battle? Then orders her Armies to kill other Christians in the "name of God"? Has any nation been blessed by prostitution with Babylon the Great?

Scriptural Questions Answered:

17:16; 18:9, 10—Why do “the kings of the earth” grieve over the very entity they themselves have devastated? The reason for their grief is strictly selfish. After the destruction of Babylon the Great, the kings of the earth evidently come to realize how useful she was to them. She provided a religious front for their oppressive deeds. Babylon the Great also helped them in recruiting youths for the battlefields. Moreover, she played an important part in keeping people in subjection.

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2009124?q=rev+14%3A18&p=par

6 hours ago, John Lindsay Barltrop said:

"Simple question are easter eggs pagan?"

Simple answer...........Is the pope a catholic

@John Lindsay BarltropHitler was Catholic also, Raised in a Catholic school. He's another subject.... Read on the blog news how the Holocaust Museum is concerned about Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia! 

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.