The World News Media

The One Joyful Thing Everyone Should Add To Their Weekend Wellness Routine

Guest Nicole

Guest Nicole

My client Erin had a rough childhood that made feeling free in her body nearly impossible. That feeling understandably frustrated her, so we spent our initial consultation working on acknowledging and processing the lack of joy she experienced as a kid. Eventually she had a breakthrough. Erin remembered going to the beach once with friends and how liberating running into the surf and playing in the waves felt.

"I just wanted to become a part of those waves," she said when I asked her to explain that memory in detail. "I loved having my arms over my head and jumping at just the right moment, so I would be lifted by the swell. I remember I had the biggest grin on my face. And I felt so giant, so a part of it all—the ocean, the sun, the sand. I remember getting home and loving that there was so much sand in my bathing suit! It was a sign that I was alive."

Is play the missing nutrient?

As a health and life coach, it might sound strange that I regularly recommend play to my clients. But think about it: Play helps you connect with the most authentic, elemental part of yourself where your deepest desires live. You can only get there by letting go and letting yourself have fun. Without sufficient play, everything health-wise suffers—including cravings, sleep, and stress. As my clients attest, the more you fit play into your life, the better off you'll feel in your body and soul.

How do we define playfulness?

Cheerfulness, humor, creativity, and expressiveness are the defining characteristics of playfulness. When you play, you're open to the unexpected and therefore new behaviors. Playing takes you out of your head and finally lets your body take the lead. Play lets you step into action, and you need to act to change any habit. "Play is something done for its own sake," says Dr. Stuart Brown, head of the nonprofit the National Institute for Play (yes, such an institute does exist!). "It's voluntary, it's pleasurable, it offers a sense of engagement, it takes you out of time. And the act itself is more important than the outcome."

How do we get more play in our lives?

Play becomes a key activity for changing habits because it gets you out of your comfort zone to reset your attitude in affirmative, creative, solution-oriented ways. What other activity begs you to surrender so wholeheartedly without having any idea about the outcome? For my perfectionist type-A clients, play lets them let go and have fun.

And you can incorporate play anywhere, even in places you might not consider. For many clients, their biggest obstacle to play is that they work...a lot. "How can I incorporate play into my uber-stressful office?" they sometimes ask. Yet interestingly, studies show play makes you better at your job.

Shouldn't being healthy also be fun?

As a society we've been brainwashed to think we must suffer to get healthy. I show clients how we've got it all wrong: Playfulness becomes the key to health and happiness. Play can help us:

1. Trust others: We get out of the competition that keeps us stuck and afraid to shine.

2. De-stress: Stressors constantly bombard us, and we need a healthy outlet.

3. Turn on our brains: Play can make us more creative and releases "happy hormones."

4. Feel alive: We feel more fully engaged and find true joy.

5. Love our body: Play helps us get out of the emotionally abusive cycle.

Why do we stop playing when we get older?

Overwork, the Puritan work ethic, and pressure to be "on" and hyper-focused all the time are among the reason some of my clients initially seem skeptical about incorporating more play. That inner critic tells us others will somehow find us weird if we employ play. Others are total type-A personalities who have to control everything. Play demands surrender and accepting you're not in control, which can be scary but ultimately liberating.

So my challenge to you today is to add more play to your day. Here are seven easy ways to do that:

1. Bring movement toys like a mini-trampoline or hula hoop into your office.

2. Bike to work or walk your kids to school.

3. Get an adult-size scooter and scoot to work!

4. Keep a bouncy ball in your pocket to use on your walks.

5. Ask colleagues at work, or your family at home, to join you for a garbage can basketball contest at lunch (offer a prize: people love prizes!).

6. Keep small coloring books and colored pencils at work to encourage coloring breaks for phone calls, lunch, or creative breaks.

7. Take lunch outside and take off your shoes, or bring a picnic blanket.

https://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-29633/the-one-joyful-thing-everyone-should-add-to-their-weekend-wellness-routine.html?utm_source=mbg&utm_medium=email&utm_content=daily&utm_campaign=170415

• Views 589
  • Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Popular Days

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Popular Contributors

• Topics

• It appears to me that this is a key aspect of the 2030 initiative ideology. While the Rothschilds were indeed influential individuals who were able to sway governments, much like present-day billionaires, the true impetus for change stems from the omnipotent forces (Satan) shaping our world. In this case, there is a false God of this world. However, what drives action within a political framework? Power! What is unfolding before our eyes in today's world? The relentless struggle for power. The overwhelming tide of people rising. We cannot underestimate the direct and sinister influence of Satan in all of this. However, it is up to individuals to decide how they choose to worship God. Satanism, as a form of religion, cannot be regarded as a true religion. Consequently, just as ancient practices of child sacrifice had a place in God's world, such sacrifices would never be accepted by the True God of our universe. Despite the promising 2030 initiative for those involved, it is unfortunately disintegrating due to the actions of certain individuals in positions of authority. A recent incident serves as a glaring example, involving a conflict between peaceful Muslims and a Jewish representative that unfolded just this week. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/mar/11/us-delegation-saudi-arabia-kippah?ref=upstract.com Saudi Arabia was among the countries that agreed to the initiative signed by approximately 179 nations in or around 1994. However, this initiative is now being undermined by the devil himself, who is sowing discord among the delegates due to the ongoing Jewish-Hamas (Palestine) conflict. Fostering antisemitism. What kind of sacrifice does Satan accept with the death of babies and children in places like Gaza, Ukraine, and other conflicts around the world, whether in the past or present, that God wouldn't? Whatever personal experiences we may have had with well-known individuals, true Christians understand that current events were foretold long ago, and nothing can prevent them from unfolding. What we are witnessing is the result of Satan's wrath upon humanity, as was predicted. A true religion will not involve itself in the politics of this world, as it is aware of the many detrimental factors associated with such engagement. It understands the true intentions of Satan for this world and wisely chooses to stay unaffected by them.
    • This idea that Satan can put Jews in power implies that God doesn't want Jews in power. But that would also imply that God only wants "Christians" including Hitler, Biden, Pol Pot, Chiang Kai-Shek, etc. 
    • @Mic Drop, I don't buy it. I watched the movie. It has all the hallmarks of the anti-semitic tropes that began to rise precipitously on social media during the last few years - pre-current-Gaza-war. And it has similarities to the same anti-semitic tropes that began to rise in Europe in the 900's to 1100's. It was back in the 500s AD/CE that many Khazars failed to take or keep land they fought for around what's now Ukraine and southern Russia. Khazars with a view to regaining power were still being driven out into the 900's. And therefore they migrated to what's now called Eastern Europe. It's also true that many of their groups converted to Judaism after settling in Eastern Europe. It's possibly also true that they could be hired as mercenaries even after their own designs on empire had dwindled.  But I think the film takes advantage of the fact that so few historical records have ever been considered reliable by the West when it comes to these regions. So it's easy to fill the vacuum with some very old antisemitic claims, fables, rumors, etc..  The mention of Eisenhower in the movie was kind of a giveaway, too. It's like, Oh NO! The United States had a Jew in power once. How on earth could THAT have happened? Could it be . . . SATAN??" Trying to tie a connection back to Babylonian Child Sacrifice Black Magick, Secret Satanism, and Baal worship has long been a trope for those who need to think that no Jews like the Rothschilds and Eisenhowers (????) etc would not have been able to get into power in otherwise "Christian" nations without help from Satan.    Does child sacrifice actually work to gain power?? Does drinking blood? Does pedophilia??? (also mentioned in the movie) Yes, it's an evil world and many people have evil ideologies based on greed and lust and ego. But how exactly does child sacrifice or pedophilia or drinking blood produce a more powerful nation or cabal of some kind? To me that's a giveaway that the authors know that the appeal will be to people who don't really care about actual historical evidence. Also, the author(s) of the video proved that they have not done much homework, but are just trying to fill that supposed knowledge gap by grasping at old paranoid and prejudicial premises. (BTW, my mother and grandmother, in 1941 and 1942, sat next to Dwight Eisenhower's mother at an assembly of Jehovah's Witnesses. The Eisenhower family had been involved in a couple of "Christian" religions and a couple of them associated with IBSA and JWs for many years.)
  • Members

• Recent Status Updates

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Miracle Pete

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.