The World News Media

Act in Harmony With Jesus’ Loving Prayer

Bible Speaks

Act in Harmony With Jesus’ Loving Prayer

“Father, . . . glorify your son, that your son may glorify you.”—JOHN 17:1.

Jesus talks late into the night, imparting to his disciples precious knowledge from God. Then he raises his eyes to heaven and prays: “Father, the hour has come; glorify your son, that your son may glorify you, according as you have given him authority over all flesh, that, as regards the whole number whom you have given him, he may give them everlasting life. . . . I have glorified you on the earth, having finished the work you have given me to do. So now you, Father, glorify me alongside yourself with the glory that I had alongside you before the world was.”—John 17:1-5.

While on earth, Jesus worked hard to help his disciples to overcome their weaknesses. This was essential for them to complete the work that Jesus had started. “Just as you sent me forth into the world,” prays Jesus, “I also sent them forth into the world.” For them to succeed in this lifesaving work, Jesus emphasizes three vital needs. 

First, he prays that his disciples be no part of Satan’s unholy world. 

Second, he prays that they may be sanctified, or kept holy, by applying to themselves the truth of God’s Word. 

Third, Jesus repeatedly begs that his disciples may be united in the same bond of love that exists between him and his Father. 

This calls for self-examination. Each of us should ask, ‘Am I acting in harmony with Jesus’ three requests?’ By giving attention to these things, Jesus expresses optimism “that the world may believe that you sent me forth.”—Read John 17:15-21.

Under the influence of their religious leaders, the majority of people in the world choose to ignore the clear evidence that Jehovah has a united people who truly know him. 

The same was true respecting Jesus’ day. So he concludes with these endearing words: “Righteous Father, the world has, indeed, not come to know you; but I have come to know you, and these have come to know that you sent me forth. And I have made your name known to them and will make it known, in order that the love with which you loved me may be in them and I in union with them.”—John 17:25, 26.

Who can deny that Jesus has acted in harmony with his prayer? As Head of the congregation, he continues to help us make known his Father’s name and purpose. May we keep on submitting to his headship by zealously obeying his command to preach and make disciples. (Matt. 28:19, 20; Acts 10:42

May we also work hard at preserving our precious unity. By doing these things, we will be acting in harmony with Jesus’ prayer, to the glory of Jehovah’s name and to our eternal happiness.

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2013767?q=john+17%3A18&p=par

IMG_3191.JPG

• Views 502
  • Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Act in Harmony With Jesus’ Loving Prayer “Father, . . . glorify your son, that your son may glorify you.”—JOHN 17:1.  Jesus talks late into the night, imparting to his disciples precious kno

Posted Images

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.