The World News Media

Guest Nicole

CHARLOTTE, NC (WBTV) -

An Uber driver from Charlotte, who has been missing since Saturday night, is believed to be in grave danger by the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department.

Investigators held a press conference Monday afternoon saying they are still investigating and "still very concerned" about 44-year-old Marlo Johnis Medina-Chevez. Based on information obtained during the investigation, officials say the case has been moved from the police department's missing persons unit to the homicide unit.

Do investigators believe the driver is dead?

"I hope for the best," said Major Cam Selvey. "I have no way of knowing what his condition is now but I go back to my statement earlier that we are gravely concerned for his well being and safety.” 

Police didn't give specifics but said they're working with Uber and cell phone providers to gather information.

Medina-Chevez left for work around 9:45 p.m. Saturday and has not returned home, according to police. Investigators and his family say this is very unlike his nature.

Medina-Chevez works as an Uber driver and left home to pick up a client. Medina-Chevez left home driving a 2008 dark blue Nissan Pathfinder with North Carolina tag PDV-4382, according to CMPD.

He was last seen wearing a gray short sleeve shirt, jeans and sandals, police said.  Medina-Chevez is described to be 5-foot-five, weighs 108 pounds and has black hair with black eyes. 

Medina-Chevez's wife of 22 years, Elsa Medina, says the family is desperate for answers.

"Saturday night we come back from Kingdom Hall, because we are Jehovah's Witnesses and our meeting is 6:30 to 8:30, and we come back and we sit on the sofa and eat together," Elsa Medina said. "And he said, 'let me make Uber for two hours,' and I say, 'don’t go. I don’t want to stay alone home.' My daughter was doing something with friends and I didn’t want to stay home alone."

She said Medina-Chevez said it would only be two hours and she finally agreed. She said her husband left at 9:30 p.m. and she texted him 15 minutes later, but she never got a response.

Elsa Medina said her husband normally drives near their home, but texts when he has to go further away. She said her daughter, Debora Medina, has tried to contact Uber for information.

"They say the information is private, and my daughter says, 'It’s my dad is missing. He make Uber last night." And they say, 'I call you back, or do you have a paper from the police report?' We don’t have anything."

A spokesperson for Uber told WBTV that the company takes "very seriously" reports of drivers' safety.

She said Uber is working with police, and that there's a legal process investigators have to complete and then give it to Uber.

Customers book trips using the Uber App.

The company said trips are GPS tracked.

Elsa Medina said police have told her they have a lot of people working to find her husband, but don't have much information.

"I’m feeling die, I’m feeling sad, I’m feeling terrible," she said while crying. "I say to people, 'please help me to find my husband, he’s a good guy. He helps people. He’s very nice.'"

She added that her husband has told her in the past he likes driving for Uber, and feels safe doing it.

Debora Medina, the driver's daughter, said they have gone out looking for her father or even his vehicle.

"Yesterday night we were going everywhere – NoDa, Plaza Midwood, uptown – anywhere you can think of, just the popular area that would be Uber, that pick up people, the area he would say would go red just to say a lot of Ubering happening there, where bars are, the clubs – he would pick them up," the daughter said.

She said it's very unusual for him to not come home, and that the family just wants her father home.

"I think it’s unusual because he’s not the person to just leave. If he does come late to the house, he calls or text messages, send out something to let us know why he’s not home," she said. "He’s a person based on family, he loves his family and his friends. I mean he wouldn’t just leave, you know?"

She said a group is going out to hang up fliers in hopes someone with information will come forward. She is asking the community to help.

"I’d like the community to come together and try to find my dad," Debora Medina said. "I mean, he’s a loving man, he tells a lot of jokes and he gives back to his community. He helps out a lot of people. He likes to bring a lot of people into the house and help them get on their feet. I want my dad home."

If you have any information regarding Medina-Chevez's whereabouts, you're asked to call 9-1-1 immediately or Crime Stoppers at 704-334-1600.

http://www.wbtv.com/story/35488894/cmpd-we-believe-missing-charlotte-uber-driver-is-in-grave-danger

13948514_G.jpg

• Views 4.3k
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Uber driver worked to raise money for family vacation CHARLOTTE, N.C. - A funeral service is planned for Marlo Medina-Chevez, the Charlotte Uber driver who police say was killed over the weeke

Why is nothing being said specifically about this? Did he even pick up Uber passengers or was he just car-jacked? Has anyone pinged his phone? So many holes in the story. Poor family. 

I guess this could be a warning to anyone considering work as an uber driver or taxi driver. The risk is real.

Posted Images

Guest Nicole

Police: Missing NC Uber driver is in ‘grave danger’

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (WBTV) – An Uber driver from Charlotte, who has been missing since Saturday night, is believed to be in grave danger by the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department.

Investigators held a press conference Monday afternoon saying they are still investigating and “still very concerned” about 44-year-old Marlo Johnis Medina-Chevez. Based on information obtained during the investigation, officials say the case has been moved from the police department’s missing persons unit to the homicide unit.

Do investigators believe the driver is dead?

“I hope for the best,” said Major Cam Selvey. “I have no way of knowing what his condition is now but I go back to my statement earlier that we are gravely concerned for his well being and safety.”

Police didn’t give specifics but said they’re working with Uber and cell phone providers to gather information.

Medina-Chevez left for work around 9:45 p.m. Saturday and has not returned home, according to police. Investigators and his family say this is very unlike his nature.

Medina-Chevez works as an Uber driver and left home to pick up a client. Medina-Chevez left home driving a 2008 dark blue Nissan Pathfinder with North Carolina tag PDV-4382, according to CMPD.

He was last seen wearing a gray short sleeve shirt, jeans and sandals, police said. Medina-Chevez is described to be 5-foot-5, weighs 108 pounds and has black hair with brown eyes.

Medina-Chevez’s wife of 22 years, Elsa Medina, says the family is desperate for answers.

“Saturday night we come back from Kingdom Hall, because we are Jehovah’s Witnesses and our meeting is 6:30 to 8:30, and we come back and we sit on the sofa and eat together,” Elsa Medina said. “And he said, ‘let me make Uber for two hours,’ and I say, ‘don’t go. I don’t want to stay alone home.’ My daughter was doing something with friends and I didn’t want to stay home alone.”

She said Medina-Chevez said it would only be two hours and she finally agreed. She said her husband left at 9:30 p.m. and she texted him 15 minutes later, but she never got a response.

Elsa Medina said her husband normally drives near their home, but texts when he has to go further away. She said her daughter, Debora Medina, has tried to contact Uber for information.

“They say the information is private, and my daughter says, ‘It’s my dad is missing. He make Uber last night.” And they say, ‘I call you back, or do you have a paper from the police report?’ We don’t have anything.”

A spokesperson for Uber told WBTV that the company takes “very seriously” reports of drivers’ safety.

She said Uber is working with police, and that there’s a legal process investigators have to complete and then give it to Uber.

Customers book trips using the Uber App.

The company said trips are GPS tracked.

Elsa Medina said police have told her they have a lot of people working to find her husband, but don’t have much information.

“I’m feeling die, I’m feeling sad, I’m feeling terrible,” she said while crying. “I say to people, ‘please help me to find my husband, he’s a good guy. He helps people. He’s very nice.'”

She added that her husband has told her in the past he likes driving for Uber, and feels safe doing it.

Debora Medina, the driver’s daughter, said they have gone out looking for her father or even his vehicle.

“Yesterday night we were going everywhere – NoDa, Plaza Midwood, uptown – anywhere you can think of, just the popular area that would be Uber, that pick up people, the area he would say would go red just to say a lot of Ubering happening there, where bars are, the clubs – he would pick them up,” the daughter said.

She said it’s very unusual for him to not come home, and that the family just wants her father home.

“I think it’s unusual because he’s not the person to just leave. If he does come late to the house, he calls or text messages, send out something to let us know why he’s not home,” she said. “He’s a person based on family, he loves his family and his friends. I mean he wouldn’t just leave, you know?”

She said a group is going out to hang up fliers in hopes someone with information will come forward. She is asking the community to help.

“I’d like the community to come together and try to find my dad,” Debora Medina said. “I mean, he’s a loving man, he tells a lot of jokes and he gives back to his community. He helps out a lot of people. He likes to bring a lot of people into the house and help them get on their feet. I want my dad home.”

If you have any information regarding Medina-Chevez’s whereabouts, you’re asked to call 9-1-1 immediately or Crime Stoppers at 704-334-1600.

Copyright 2017 WBTV. All rights reserved.

http://wncn.com/2017/05/23/police-missing-nc-uber-driver-is-in-grave-danger/

Guest Nicole

Two arrested driving SUV of missing Charlotte Uber driver. His fate is a mystery

What has become of missing Charlotte Uber driver Marlo Johnis Medina-Chevez?

It’s a question his family, the police and many other Charlotteans are asking as detectives continue to interrogate the two men who were arrested Monday night, using his credit card and driving his car.

They were caught in Maryland.

Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police said at a news conference Tuesday that the fate of Medina-Chevez, 44, remains a mystery, though they believe he’s in “grave danger.”

Medina-Chevez left his Charlotte home Saturday night to pick up a passenger and never returned. The case is being investigated as a homicide, though police have not said they believe he’s dead.

Arrested in connection with the case are Diontray Divan Adams, 24, and James Aaron Stevens, 20, but the two are not charged with homicide. Instead, detectives have charged Adams with financial credit card fraud and outstanding Maryland warrants, and Stevens has been charged with possession of a stolen vehicle.

It was not immediately clear where the two men live.

The duo were arrested in Maryland, after police there began investigating a fraudulent use of Medina-Chavez’s credit card. At 11:50 p.m. Monday, CMPD detectives were notified that Maryland State Police received a license plate reader hit on Medina-Chevez’s 2008 Nissan Pathfinder. It had been spotted near the Chesapeake Bay Bridge.

The Maryland Transportation Authority Police then stopped the Pathfinder and detained the four occupants. Adams and Stevens were taken to the Maryland Transportation Authority Police Department in Annapolis, where they were being interviewed by CMPD homicide detectives. The other occupants were released and not charged.

Court records show James Stevens lived in Fayetteville until 2014, then moved to Mecklenburg County. He has been charged twice with offenses, including an October 2016 case of communicating threats in Mecklenburg County. The outcome was not clear in court records. Court records show Diontray Adams was a Charlotte resident when he was arrested in 2105 for an offense in Rowan County. Details of that offense are not included in court records.

Medina-Chevez’ family spoke at a Tuesday CMPD news conference, and said they have not given up hope. In fact, they were worried that he might be wandering around disoriented, which would explain why no one has heard from him.

His daughter, Debra Medina, said finding the SUV put them a step closer to finding her father. “A car gives us hope, even if it’s just a car," she said.

In an interview with the Spanish language newspaper Hola La Noticia, Elisa Urbina said her husband began working for Uber in December to raise money for a rare family vacation. It was a job he fit around his full-time work at a company making windows and doors, she told the newspaper.

On Saturday evening, he left their house about 9:45 p.m. to pick up a passenger, expecting to be gone only an hour or two.

“I told him not to go to work, but he insisted,” his wife told Hola La Noticia. “He told me he would only go to work for a couple of hours. He promised. He just left to pick up a passenger and, as he had not worked in the last few days, he did not want to lose his place.

Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police were initially handling it as a missing persons case, but it became a homicide investigation Monday afternoon. Police said the switch was in part because that unit has more resources.

Medina-Chevez, a devout Jehovah’s Witnesses, was last seen in the Steele Creek area of south Charlotte. Police say they are working with Uber, but it was unclear if they knew who Medina-Chevez was picking up Saturday night.

His wife told Hola La Noticia that they had been a couple since middle school, and married for more than 20 years. The two had a pledge, she said, that if one ever got lost, the other would not stop looking.

“And that’s what I’ll do,” she told Hola La Noticia. “I feel like I’m not doing enough. Maybe he’s had an accident and is fighting for his life. Last night I had to leave the search because it started to rain very hard and it darkened. Today, together with some relatives we are going to go out and look for him. I will not abandon it.”

Driver safety

One Charlotte Uber driver said the case has made him think about his own safety.

“I’ve had a couple of situations where I don’t know if ‘scary’ is the right word but ‘sketchy’ might be,” said Adam Sharkey, 25, who’s driven for Uber and competitor Lyft for three months. Weekend driving pays for his car and insurance.

Two drunks headed to a strip club this past weekend passed out in his back seat, then got belligerent when Sharkey tried to get them out of the car. Another passenger started yelling accusations when Sharkey, blocked by traffic, took an alternate route.

“I’ve thought about getting a knife in the name of personal defense to keep in my pocket, and seeing that (Medina-Chevez) story has made me say, maybe I’ll pick up that knife this week,” Sharkey said. “It does seem pretty unusual, but everything is unusual until it happens.”

Uber said it has been working with the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police investigation of the Medina-Chevez case but would not discuss specific information.

Uber touts the measures the ride-hailing app takes to keep drivers safe.

Among them: no anonymous passengers. Riders have to create an account and provide their name, email address and home phone number before they can request a ride.

Uber also logs GPS data, so it knows who drivers are transporting and where they’re going, and both drivers and passengers can rate each other. Drivers can end rides at any time.

“Our technology makes it possible to focus on the safety of drivers and passengers,” a spokeswoman said. Uber recently posted safety tips for drivers, developed with feedback from drivers and law enforcement.

The online forum UberPeople.net is full of conversations among Charlotte rideshare drivers on company practices, fares and passengers. Relatively few threads discuss safety.

In April, before Medina-Chevez went missing, a driver on the site compared Charlotte to “Chiraq,” a play on the war-torn Middle East, and alluded to murders, stolen guns and “doped up heartless teens and young adults.”

“I feel being a Uber driver is a very vulnerable job to have right now,” he wrote.

Responded a cab driver: “No, you are absolutely correct to be scared as hell. THIS cab driver got a gun pulled on him a month ago … in broad daylight over a fare discrepancy.

“If (you) can’t stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.”

A third writer added: “There are risks in any job. Very few people get killed or robbed doing this job, at least not that I have heard. However, by all means stop driving if it scares you. I could use the extra passengers and surge fares.”

Mark Price: 704-358-5245, @markprice_obs

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article152083967.html

Uber driver worked to raise money for family vacation

CHARLOTTE, N.C. - A funeral service is planned for Marlo Medina-Chevez, the Charlotte Uber driver who police say was killed over the weekend.

"It hasn't been an easy year for us at all," Deborah Medina, Marlo's daughter, said.

[Body found in Rock Hill ID'd as missing Uber driver, police say]

Medina-Chevez left his Steele Creek house last weekend to work as an Uber driver, and never came home.

(Medina-Chevez)

Sources said Charlotte-Mecklenburg police found his body, severely beaten and bound, in woods in Rock Hill.

Two strangers, Diontray Adams and James Steven, are now behind bars and will be charged in his death. The pair will also face charges of kidnapping and robbery with a dangerous weapon. They are fighting extradition.

Screen Shot 2017-05-27 at 11.20.22 AM.png

(James Stevens, Diontray Adams)

"It brings you peace that they are in jail," Medina said. "But I just lost my dad. You can't really come back from that."

His friend Karen Miller is trying to help.

She grew up in Marlo's congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses.

When her family was going through difficult times, he lifted her spirits. Now she's returning the favor.

"We want to do something for his daughters to make sure they are not too sad too," she said.

Marlo was the family's sole provider. He started driving for Uber to make some extra cash to take his family on a vacation.

Karen has raised more than $19,000 to help them out.

She and her congregation are preparing to say goodbye to their friend, who lived a faith-driven life. And it's faith that's keeping his friends and family going.

"All we have to do is be strong and we know we will see him again," she said.

A funeral is planned for Monday at 3 p.m. at Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses, 6516 Old Pineville Road.

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/uber-driver-worked-to-raise-money-for-family-vacation/527078209

"He was very loved and everyone cared for him still can't believe he's gone very nice guy, very loving, all about family," Moto declared. Medina-Chevez and his wife Elsa met in 1989 when the two were in middle school. The couple has three daughters who mobilized to find Medina-Chevez when he went missing. They passed out flyers and drove all over Charlotte looking for him. CMPD also launched an intense search effort, assigning missing persons and homicide detectives to the case. Their investigation led them to Annapolis, MD where they said Medina-Chevez's credit card was used. Maryland State Troopers tracked down his Nissan Pathfinder and took two of the occupants into custody. Five days after he disappeared, Medina-Chevez's body was found in a wooded area in Rock Hill. Diontray Divan Adams and James Aaron Steven are both charged with his murder. "This wasn't the outcome we would've wished for, now knowing we can move forward and always have him in our memories," said Moto. "We're going to miss him a lot," he declared. A Free Funder page has been set up for his family. It has raised more than $40,000, which includes a $10,000 donation from Uber's East Coast General Manager Meghan Joyce. If you would like to help the Medina family, you can donate https://www.freefunder.com/campaign/help-the-medina-family

http://www.wcnc.com/news/local/hundreds-pay-tribute-at-memorial-service-for-slain-uber-driver/443993404