The World News Media

JW's in Malawi vs. Mexico: Why the Disparity?

Micah Ong

The Governing Body are responsible for the brutal rape, torture and murder of Jehovah’s witnesses, this is shocking and the people responsible cannot be excused for their actions, but this could have been prevented by purchasing a political card. The reasoning the Watchtower leaders used when setting their brothers up to come in line for such persecution was that Witnesses are to be “no part of the world”.

Yet at the same time that Witnesses were forbidden to hold a card in Malawi a comparable situation arose in Mexico, with the Governing Body ruling in the opposite direction for Mexican brothers. In Mexico, military service was compulsory for young men. On completion of service young men would receive a “Cartilla” card, which similar to the card in Malawi, was required for a transactions such as obtaining a passport and drivers license. Young Witness brothers experienced persecution and imprisonment for refusing their obligation to attend military service.

In order to relieve this suffering, the Governing Body ruled that it was acceptable for Mexican brothers to bribe officials to obtain a government Cartilla card that exempted them from military service. This is discussed in the following letter to Mexico Branch Committee dated June 2, 1960.

“As to those who are relieved of military training by a money transaction with the officials who are involved therewith, this is on par with what is done in other Latin American countries where brothers have paid for their relief through some military official in order to retain their freedom for theocratic activities. If members of the military establishment are willing to accept such an arrangement upon the payment of a fee then that is the responsibility of these representatives of the national organisation. In such a case the money paid does not go to the military establishment, but is appropriated by the individual who undertakes the arrangement. If the consciences of certain brothers allow them to enter into such an arrangement for their continued freedom we have no objection. Of course, if they would get into any difficulties over their course of action then they would have to shoulder such difficulties themselves, and we could not offer them any assistance. But if the arrangement is current down there and is recognized by the inspectors who do not make any inquiries into the veracity of the matter then the matter can be passed by for the accruing advantages. Should a military emergency arise and confront these brothers with their marching card it would oblige them to make a decision by which they could not extricate themselves by a money payment and their mettle would be tested and they would have to demonstrate outright where they stand and prove that they are in favor of Christian neutrality in a determined test.

Faithfully yours in the Kingdom ministry,

Watchtower B.&T. Society
of Pensylvania

• Views 8.4k
  • Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"Who are they? (Genuine question)" Eoin asks. "Corporate propaganda." I think that says it all. I appreciate the frankness. The Librarian, who is not necessarily the same, though he may be, add

I saved those deleted posts, most of them at least, and I can assure you that you were not deleted for presenting any facts. Perhaps you do not remember, but you were attacking and insulting other pos

. . It is the old classic "You are damned if you do... and damned if you don't." If I take personal responsibility according to the dictates of my conscience and am wrong, Wrong WRONG .

Posted Images

7 hours ago, AllenSmith said:

Wow! talk about FAKE NEWS,

“It is because Jehovah’s Witnesses refuse to buy the Malawi Congress Party card. This card declares the holder to be a member of the ruling political party of Malawi. But for Jehovah’s Witnesses to buy a political card and thus join a political party would be an open denial of what they believe and stand for.” Awake! 1976 Aug 8 p.5
“For some of our dear sisters, the persecution was especially harrowing. Many were the reports of rape, mutilation, and beating of Christian women. The sadistic attackers spared nobody. The elderly, the young, and even some pregnant sisters were put through such cruel ordeals. Some suffered miscarriages as a result. Once again, thousands were forced to flee their villages. Many found refuge in the bush. Others went into temporary exile in neighboring Mozambique. By the end of November 1967, the brutal wave of attacks on Jehovah’s Witnesses had claimed at least five more lives. … The vicious attacks claimed many lives. In Cape Maclear, at the southern end of Lake Malawi, bundles of grass were tied around Zelphat Mbaiko. Petrol was poured on the grass and set alight. He was literally burned to death! Sisters also suffered terribly. Following their refusal to buy party cards, many were repeatedly raped by party officials. In Lilongwe, Sister Magola, along with many others, tried to flee the trouble. However, she was pregnant and could not run very fast. A mob, acting like a pack of wild dogs, caught up with her and beat her to death. At the campus of Bunda College of Agriculture, just outside of Lilongwe, six brothers and one sister were murdered and their bodies were horribly mutilated.” Yearbook 1999 pp.182,189

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

7 hours ago, AllenSmith said:

You want to speak in ignorance about murder, then just look back to your kind of Christianity to know the barbaric and brutality attributed to that, as well as in the present in the name of God. Ironically you equate it to Christ.

So we just put the Watchtower amongst Christendom,  o.k!  I think if you check church history the Anna Baptist and Baptists never got involved in any of those things. 

2 hours ago, AllenSmith said:

No different in the past with churches that killed in the name of God. Something a “witness” would never do.

Quote @AllenSmith  Now that people see your post for what they really, and how you are being “PRAISED” by Queen Esther by “calling” you “brother” ...

the “librarian” has seen fit to “PROTECT” these types of lies, and “DELETE” anyone that criticize such lies.

I think the Librarian is showing sensible and reasonable discretion in allowing people to be able to honestly question things and share things.  In a communist or dictatorial state no such freedom is allowed for the purpose of control and usually manipulation.  I praise the Librarian and @Queen Esther for not being overly sentimental to doctrine.

It's quite simple although not always easy - Jesus said to love your God with your whole heart, mind and soul and to love your neighbour as yourself.  If we focus on that we'll make our most high loving heavenly Father very happy.

Peace brother.

P.S the point that was trying to be made was the disparity over the brothers in Malawi vs. Mexico, the GB handled the matter in a manner such as where the Malawian brothers were discouraged from obtaining a Political card to stay loyal to Jehovah but the Mexican brothers were given discretion to pay officials according to how it was done in that country.

The question is then: Why the disparity?

I have a possible reason, but you have to think in reverse ....

4 hours ago, Micah Ong said:

P.S the point that was trying to be made was the disparity over the brothers in Malawi vs. Mexico, the GB handled the matter in a manner such as where the Malawian brothers were discouraged from obtaining a Political card to stay loyal to Jehovah but the Mexican brothers were given discretion to pay officials according to how it was done in that country.

The question is then: Why the disparity?

White people are expected to be righteous and cannot do anything illegal, and can navigate the "legal" system.

"Brown" people are expected to be mostly good, and are allowed bribery, as they have trouble navigating the "legal system".

Black people are gullible, and expected not to be able to navigate ANY "legal system", or understand nuances.

If you have a better explanation, I would like to hear it, as my three children being of mixed race, and my having chosen my previous wife partly because of her mixed "brown", and "black" genetics ... I am not happy with the only thing that immediately comes to mind.

PS .( For those in Rio Linda that think I am a racist, I just cut you off at the knees ...)

5 minutes ago, James Thomas Rook Jr. said:

If you have a better explanation, I would like to hear it, as my three children being of mixed race, and my having chosen my previous wife partly because of her mixed "brown", and "black" genetics ... I am not happy with the only thing that immediately comes to mind.

I understand your humor. 

Both countries were corresponding with WT Headquarters on what to do.  So I suppose they owe the explanation.

16 minutes ago, James Thomas Rook Jr. said:

as my three children being of mixed race, and my having chosen my previous wife partly because of her mixed "brown", and "black" genetics

I actually thought your were going to compare yourself to Noah!

On 5/26/2017 at 7:54 PM, AllenSmith said:

Wow! talk about FAKE NEWS,

This "News" was absolutely true, not fake.

But even though we counted the Mexican brothers and sisters as publishers in the Yearbook, we treated Mexico as a different kind of organization. The Watch Tower Society  had set up as an educational cultural "charity" instead of a religious organization so that we (WTS) could have property in Mexico.

When we visited congregations in Baja and Tijuana as a family when we were younger, while living in California, there was no song and prayer at the meetings, nothing could come too close to looking like "religious worship." The publications were used as if it was just a reading lesson, and the questions determined if readers and listeners got the point of what was just read.

So, the rumor was that the bribes were offered so that the WTS didn't create any wave of religious persecution, because, well . . . How can you have "religious persecution" if we were pretending we were not a religion? Also, we would have lost our charitable/cultural status and lost our property, and it would have interfered with the goal of waiting for a better political and religious climate in the country, to finally accept religious status when circumstances were more favorable.

@Allen Smith it's not the @The Librarian that sets the guidelines or owns this site.

I have no horse in your race.... I did not create this site to protect your corporate propaganda or anyone else's for that matter.

@The Librarian has brought his over 400,000 social media followers to my site here and for that I am thankful for the traffic and the diverse opinions and commentary.

I see him adding value here whereas you, @Allen Smith seem to spend most of your time angrily denouncing other members of your religion. Why?