The World News Media

Did Christians in the 1st century disfellowship / shun wrongdoers?

Guest Nicole

• 4 weeks later...

• Views 3.5k
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Was this the 1st Century? 1 Cor.5:11: "stop keeping company with anyone called a brother who is sexually immoral or a greedy person or an idolater or a reviler or a drunkard or an extortioner, no

Wrong Question: Was this INSTITUTIONAL disfellowshipping against as it is practiced today ... destroying whole family relationships, up and down generational lines, and across extended families?

Isn't the scripture clear? They would banish, treat as tax collector, avoid, hand to Satan, stop keeping company, not even eating with, remove, neither greet nor receive into their homes or say a gree

Posted Images

Was this the 1st Century?

1 Cor.5:11: "stop keeping company with anyone called a brother who is sexually immoral or a greedy person or an idolater or a reviler or a drunkard or an extortioner, not even eating with such a man"

2John 10-11:"If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, do not receive him into your homes or say a greeting to him. For the one who says a greeting to him is a sharer in his wicked works.

Wrong Question:

Was this INSTITUTIONAL disfellowshipping against as it is practiced today ... destroying whole family relationships, up and down generational lines, and across extended families?

NO!   .... That would be as the Russians view it ... an EXTREME view ... on a slippery slope to  societal ruin.

There may be mitigating circumstances that Elders cannot even comprehend ... or wrap their minds around.

If I unrepentedly shot my mother to death , I should be disfellowshipped forever .. but by WHO?

If I unrepentedly  shot her because she was burning to death in a car fire, and there was no way to get her out ... all sane people would exonerate me ... except Pharisee types divorced from reality.

The world is full of INFINITE VARIETY, and NO ONE can evaluate it all correctly.

Justice we get from Jehovah God ... all else is due process .... ONLY!

Institutionally, we should get out of the judge, jury, and "execution" business, leaving punishment to Jehovah, and the properly trained consciences of those professing True Christianity, as individuals.

OR WHY HAVE A TRAINED CONSCIENCE AT ALL! ?

Institutional disfellowishipping only has one REAL purpose ... the way it is handled today ... to inspire fear of rebellion against the authority that has self-appointed themselves into as much ultimate power as the State will allow ... for NOW.

Watchtower 1930 apostasy remark.jpg

• 2 years later...
Guest Indiana
On 6/20/2017 at 2:34 PM, Outta Here said:

1 Cor.5:11

How did  early Christians applied this Scripture? Was it the same way as it is done in the JW families, congregations? 

2019-07-31_233431.jpg

The "Early Christians" were not a monolithic block of people who did everything the same way, or for the same reasons.  They did things according to their consciences, which were ALL DIFFERENT, because of natural intelligence, or the lack thereof ...or education, tradition, local customs, and the list of variables is infinite..

The fantasy of the "monolithic minority" still exists today in the political world, as clueless  politicians think that Blacks, Hispanics, Chinese, etc., all think and act the same way, and do whatever they do for the same reasons.

They don't.

The short answer is "Why ask me ? ... I don't have Polaroids!".

3 hours ago, Indiana said:

How did  early Christians applied this Scripture?

Isn't the scripture clear? They would banish, treat as tax collector, avoid, hand to Satan, stop keeping company, not even eating with, remove, neither greet nor receive into their homes or say a greeting to. Do you need more?

Ezra 10:8."he would be banished from the congregation of the exiled people." (For comparison).

Matthew 18:17 "let him be to you just as a man of the nations and as a tax collector"

Rom.16:17 "keep your eye on those who create divisions and causes for stumbling contrary to the teaching that you have learned, and avoid them."

1Cor.5:5 "hand such a man over to Satan"

1Cor.5:9, 11 "stop keeping company", "not even eating with such a man."

1Cor.5:13 "Remove the wicked person from among yourselves.”"

1Tim.1:18 "Hy·me·naeʹus and Alexander are among these, and I have handed them over to Satan so that they may be taught by discipline not to blaspheme."

As stated above: 2John v11

On 6/20/2017 at 9:34 PM, Outta Here said:

do not receive him into your homes or say a greeting to him. For the one who says a greeting to him is a sharer in his wicked works.

So work it out and apply it, if you are a Christian that is. It doesn't have any application to those who are not.

Oh, and remember though,  there is a purpose in it as alluded to by Jesus at Matt.18:11 "If he listens to you, you have gained your brother", and directed by Paul at 2Cor.5:6-7  "This rebuke given by the majority is sufficient for such a man; now you should instead kindly forgive and comfort him".

You should be able to work an application process from this.

@James Thomas Rook Jr. @Indiana 

Excommunication was strong, firm and strict concerning the early church - a cut off from the church community. There were notable figures who had been kicked out of the church until the day falsehood evidently bombarded the church later on (beyond first century). More so, even in the days of Israel, people were cut off from the camp.

Also I suggest you two take a read of this: http://shamelesspopery.com/biblical-excommunication/

There are several forms of Excommunication, however only ONE is true, and only ONE is practiced by those who understand it.

On 8/1/2019 at 8:08 AM, Outta Here said:

Isn't the scripture clear? They would banish, treat as tax collector, avoid, hand to Satan, stop keeping company, not even eating with, remove, neither greet nor receive into their homes or say a greeting to. Do you need more?

Ezra 10:8."he would be banished from the congregation of the exiled people." (For comparison).

Matthew 18:17 "let him be to you just as a man of the nations and as a tax collector"

Rom.16:17 "keep your eye on those who create divisions and causes for stumbling contrary to the teaching that you have learned, and avoid them."

1Cor.5:5 "hand such a man over to Satan"

1Cor.5:9, 11 "stop keeping company", "not even eating with such a man."

1Cor.5:13 "Remove the wicked person from among yourselves.”"

1Tim.1:18 "Hy·me·naeʹus and Alexander are among these, and I have handed them over to Satan so that they may be taught by discipline not to blaspheme."

As stated above: 2John v11

Dear Sir, you list here many verses from first century Christian writers and only one verse is from Jesus. It is interesting to me that in Mat 18:17 Jesus never commanded Shunning, Ignoring, Avoiding and similar as it is practice in JW Church. Jesus said; let him be to you just as a man of the nations and as a tax collector". 

Now our task is to found out HOW Jesus TREATED such persons?! People of nations, and other that was "Questionable" (tax collectors, sinners, etc): 

While Jesus was having dinner at Levi’s house, many tax collectors and sinners were eating with him and his disciples, for there were many who followed him. - Mark 2

One of them, when he saw he was healed, came back, praising God in a loud voice. 16 He threw himself at Jesus’ feet and thanked him—and he was a Samaritan. - Luke 17

The Samaritan woman said to him, “You are a Jew and I am a Samaritan woman. How can you ask me for a drink?” (For Jews do not associate with Samaritans.[a]) - John 4

A Canaanite woman from that vicinity came to him, crying out, “Lord, Son of David, have mercy on me! My daughter is demon-possessed and suffering terribly.”.... Then Jesus said to her, “Woman, you have great faith! Your request is granted.” And her daughter was healed at that moment. - Mat 15l

When Jesus had entered Capernaum, a centurion came to him, asking for help. “Lord,” he said, “my servant lies at home paralyzed,suffering terribly.” Jesus said to him, “Shall I come and heal him?” - Mat 8

He answered, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind’[a]; and, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[b]But he wanted to justify himself, so he asked Jesus, “And who is my neighbor?”  - Luke 10

You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor[b] and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46 If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47 And if you greet only your own people, what are you  doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that?4Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect. - Mat 5

By this examples, Bible verses are also CLEAR how to treat people who are not of JW sort. Once again, how to treat individuals who are not any longer JW member - "let him be to you just as a man of the nations and as a tax collector"

Just as. Nothing about all those animosity feelings and shunning described by Bible Writers. Well, who would you Listen, Obey and Imitate? JESUS? or Bible Writers?

Well, we need MORE ANGELS of view :))))

12 hours ago, Srecko Sostar said:

Well, who would you Listen, Obey and Imitate? JESUS? or Bible Writers

Nice try, and excellent selection of quotations. But, there is no point in Jesus mentioning the men of the nations and the tax collectors treatment as a consequence for wrongdoing if there was no significant difference in the way his followers were to treat unrepentant wrong doers. Your multiple selection of quotes are in connection with those who were acting as those who knew not what they were doing. This is not the case with the subjects of Jesus' Matthew 18 direction.

Proposing the notion that other Bible writers contradicted Jesus' direction on this matter is based on the false premise that their direction was not inspired by the same inspirator of Jesus.

10 minutes ago, Outta Here said:

Proposing the notion that other Bible writers contradicted Jesus' direction on this matter is based on the false premise that their direction was not inspired by the same inspirator of Jesus.

Thanks for respond. 

I am interested to see some Bible quotes where people who wrote verses, about issue we talking, made self claims of their own "inspiration", or if other people claimed this for them, how in moments when speaking and or writing this verses they have been "inspired", ... what ever this word have meant to them before or to us today? 

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.