The World News Media

Bible Speaks

A praying mantis larva peers out of a flower in our Photo of the Day. I love this picture...I am looking at you! - Haha! - Do you know why he is called a Praying Mantis? ~ 

????

The English common name for any species in the order is "praying mantis",because of the typical "prayer-like" attitude with folded fore-limbs, although the eggcorn "preying mantis" is sometimes used in reference to their predatory habits. In Europe and ot regions, the name "praying mantis" refers to only a single species, Mantis religiosa. 

????

JUST BECAUSE YOU WANTED TO KNOW? 

Gardening the Organic Way - Toads, Birds, and Bugs—Your Garden’s Friends

????

‘But what about garden pests?’ you may ask. ‘How can I get rid of them without using pesticides?’ Don’t forget that pesticides kill off more than unwanted pests. They also eliminate such helpful organisms as earthworms and fungi. Remember, too, that toads are garden-friendly. A toad can eat upwards of 10,000 insect pests in three months’ time. Toads are not fussy eaters. Their diet includes such enemies of plants as crickets, squash bugs, tent caterpillars, armyworms, gypsy-moth caterpillars, and slugs.

????

Birds are also effective at controlling garden pests. A house wren was observed feeding “500 spiders and caterpillars to its young during one summer afternoon,” according to the book Gardening Without Poisons. If you would like to invite a few wrens or other insect-eating birds to your garden, hang some bird food or nesting materials in plain sight. Before long, you may well see that your “invitation” has been accepted! And bugs? Many garden-friendly insects prey on destructive ones. If you purchase ladybugs and release them in your garden, they will immediately look for their favorite food, aphids. Praying mantis egg cases can likewise be bought and placed in the garden. When the eggs hatch, the mantises will devour virtually every insect that dares cross their path.

????

Your Garden’s Friends

? A toad can eat upwards of 10,000 insect pests in three months’ time

? A house wren was observed feeding “500 spiders and caterpillars to its young during one summer afternoon”

? The earthworm aerates the soil and brings various minerals toward the surface

? The ladybug’s favorite food is the aphid, a destructive insect

????

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/102002207?q=praying+mantis&p=par

Marvels of Creation Jehovah has made! ?

IMG_6349.JPG

• Views 702
  • Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A praying mantis larva peers out of a flower in our Photo of the Day. I love this picture...I am looking at you! - Haha! - Do you know why he is called a Praying Mantis? ~  ???? The English

Posted Images

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.