The World News Media

Road Sweeper vehicle ploughs into JW Carts

Jack Ryan

In Newcastle town centre. UK.

The Chronicle Live. 15 June 2017.

A council worker will stand trial after he was accused of being drunk at the wheel of his road sweeper in Newcastle city centre.

John Paul Carruthers, who has since resigned from his post at Newcastle City Council, was allegedly over the legal drink-drive limit when he ploughed into a Jehovah’s Witness stand on Northumberland Street near to Haymarket Metro Station.

Prosecuting, James Long told Newcastle Magistrates’ Court: “The allegation is that he was driving a Newcastle City Council road sweeper when he collided first with a Jehovah’s Witness stand next to Haymarket Metro Station. He carried on then a short while later was detained on Ridley Place and was said to be aggressive.

Screen Shot 2017-06-18 at 2.12.06 PM.png

READ MORE: http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/newcastle-council-roadsweeper-drink-drive-13183193

• Views 2k
  • Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In Newcastle town centre. UK. The Chronicle Live. 15 June 2017. A council worker will stand trial after he was accused of being drunk at the wheel of his road sweeper in Newcastle city centr

Posted Images

Reminds me of a street sweeping vehicle that nicked the front of my car while I was waiting in a legal parking spot. I hadn't paid for the meter because I was waiting in the car. The street cleaner was actually doing the other side of the street, which was not legal on alternate days for the specific purpose of street cleaning, and he was going around an illegally parked car when he hit my car. He looked back at the car, saw the damage, a long scrape and a loosened fender that made a loud pop when it loosened, and he just went on driving, not knowing I was waiting in the driver's seat. So I ran out of the car and chased him down at the corner and told him what he did. I saw a policeman who spoke to the street cleaner and then rushed up to my car to give me a ticket. I asked him why, and he said he it was his job to "protect the street cleaner." I thought that was extremely honest, although very stupid. Later, I got out of the ticket but paid for the damage repair myself, as it was less than my deductible. Could have got the money back from the city, I suppose, but that would have been an unnecessary headache.

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.