The World News Media

PeterR

4 hours ago, JW Insider said:

Do you think that all true anointed Christians would be expected to merely put up with these attitudes and false doctrines and false prophecies?

Of course.

"Whether good OR bad,  we will OBEY the voice of Jehovah our God," Jer. 42:6

Be OBEDIENT to those who are taking the lead among you and be SUBMISSIVE" Heb 13:17. 

" Do EVERYTHING without COMPLAINING and ARGUING", Phil 2:14 :D

• Views 13.1k
  • Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

@Eoin Joyce quoted one of the first real hints of the overlapping generation doctrine from the Feb 15, 2008 WT (above). Above, I also quoted a WT QFR that mentioned overlapping generations from t

I'm glad that The Librarian moved the "generation" posts from the unrelated topic over to this topic. It was clear that on this topic, the questions remain unsettled to some and unsettling to others.

Because knowing ... when others do not ... is what has given, scam artists, flim-flam men, shamans, priests, and ecclesiastical tap-dancers  power prestige, and money, and position in various societie

Posted Images

41 minutes ago, bruceq said:

Be OBEDIENT to those who are taking the lead among you and be SUBMISSIVE" Heb 13:17. 

" Do EVERYTHING without COMPLAINING and ARGUING", Phil 2:14 :D

And if you were a good Catholic who didn't understand how the doctrine of torment in hell could be real, you might be on the receiving end of the same scriptures. "Do you know better than the Church Fathers? Shut up, obey, believe, and be happy while doing it." I'm sure it's been said more often than you are saying it bruceq, even though you are evidently trying for some sort of personal record.

Heb 13:17 has the sense of being persuaded by, and then yielding to that persuasion. It's not encouraging gullibility. I encourage a study of the verse.

In Phil 2:14 the "everything" is obviously not without qualification. Many people through history have suffered miserably by doing EVERYTHING that human religious authority demands without COMPLAINING or ARGUING. Most often they hurt others along the way, and like it or not this is a core issue when it comes to demanding absolute faith in the doctrine of men.

Your misuse of scripture is nothing new. It's been going on for at least a couple of millenniums in order to control people. But God gave us a power of reason for a purpose. He clearly explains to us what true faith is, and draws a distinction between well-founded Christian faith and "blind faith".

That is true that it is all about who has the True Religion. If you think we do not then why are you here???

There are thousands of religions yet you are HERE !!! LOL :D  ONE true faith as you say yet YOU are HERE tells me all I have to know. 

You can obey your god  and doctrines of men but:

"Whether good OR bad,  we will OBEY the voice of JEHOVAH our God," Jer. 42:6

1 hour ago, Eoin Joyce said:

I don't think it is?

It has to be, or this thread wouldn't be here. I have yet to see an explanation from the group here that is collectively the same and conveys the meaning of "generation" as per the wt/gb.

45 minutes ago, PeterR said:

And if you were a good Catholic who didn't understand how the doctrine of torment in hell could be real, you might be on the receiving end of the same scriptures.

Excuse me interjecting here, but I am sure that Catholics not understanding or agreeing with how the doctrine of torment in hell could be real might have been provided with persuasion of a little more physical nature than the application of scriptures..... 

image.png

Eoin

For many people psychological pressure and torment hurts more than physical pain.

You will no doubt make light of this because you are not on the receiving end, and your care for what is true has its limits.

I have seen the effect of the GB tightening the screws that forces people to accept things that have no scriptural basis. There comes a point where vulnerable sheep begin doubting things that should not be doubted, because they have been falsely convinced that the whole thing comes as a package and they must believe the entire thing.

Matt 18:6 - But if anyone causes one of these little ones who believe in Me to stumble, it would be better for him to have a large millstone hung around his neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea.

Mock these words if you must, but I tell the truth when I say that I have seen the effect of forced teachings that cause people to doubt. It threatens their personal faith, and it threatens their relationships with friends and family (social structure), and it threatens their sanity.

And let's not beat around the bush here - quite clearly there are some one this forum who would enthusiastically take part in some form of physical burning stoning of the witches apostates if they felt it were sanctioned.

No need to be unhappy, just don't complain so much. Its all about your frame of mind Do EVERYTHING without COMPLAINING and ARGUING", Phil 2:14 

" HAPPY is the people for whom it is this way!  HAPPY is the people whose God is JEHOVAH"! PSALM 144:15.  :D

2 hours ago, Eoin Joyce said:

I'm only going to quote the Insight article on the subject which says of Jesus:

"However, he was also using the word “generation” with reference to humans whose lives would in some way be associated with the foretold events during his presence."

That definition allows for more than "the average lifespan of one being generated" in that it does not focus on a chronologoical aspect of the word's meaning, but on an associative or qualitative aspect.

You're in danger of begging the question Eoin. Who created that loose definition and why?

It may be helpful to remember that the Insight article was written when they were reaching the outer limits of the current doctrine, and on the hunt for a new one.

Therefore it is not surprising that we would find a loose definition at this point in time which would not constrain the options for the next understanding.

There is nothing incorrect about the quote itself, precisely because it is so loose. But to treat it as if it were some sort of independent evidence that a far-fetched definition could be applied to Jesus words would surely be a mistake.

Rather than look at loose wording provided by those who had already changed the teaching and were preparing for a further change, wouldn't a word study of the Greek word "genea" provide a reasonable guide to how far the word can be stretched?

24 minutes ago, Eoin Joyce said:

Seems to indicate you understand the meaning of "generation" as per the wt/gb.

I actually think I do, but because it is not consistent with anyone or anything else in the known world as far as "generation" is defined it requires a convoluted explanation that defies logic and reasoning. Thus the reason why no one can give a satisfactory answer to the question in which the collective group can agree and believe. 

2 minutes ago, PeterR said:

quite clearly there are some one this forum who would enthusiastically take part in some form of physical burning stoning of the witches apostates if they felt it were sanctioned.

No need  to emphasise this, I certainly have felt the level of malice some appear to have.

3 minutes ago, PeterR said:

I have seen the effect of forced teachings that cause people to doubt. It threatens their personal faith, and it threatens their relationships with friends and family (social structure), and it threatens their sanity.

How are you privy to such insight as this? Where on earth do these dark things you are alluding to take place?