The World News Media

ALL aspects of 1914 doctrine are now problematic from a Scriptural point of view

JW Insider

Unfortunately  - to quote magazines from the distant past - Russel etc. is like trying to wear a Victorian hat in our times - it does not fit in today.  It has its place in the 'development' of  the more modern hats worn in the 20th century-  which lead to us only wearing hats for specific or practical reasons today in the 21st.  (Similarly we have the core teachings today with an emphasis on the personality traits and principles which are preparing us to live in better harmony together under a future government).

I remember the words of Jesus  when he asked Peter if he loved him three times!  The reply to Peter's answer was "feed my sheep."

This is what the "slave" is doing...... feeding the sheep.  We would not understand the Kingdom if it was not for them: it is a government with rulers and subjects; how it will function and what it will do. How it will function on the new earth...and how we should be in serious expectation of it.

Today the buildup of hate and spiritism in all spheres of the earth is tremendous.  Far-left to far-right fascist groups;  black and white racism in Africa and America; tribal divisions; Shia and Sunni divisions; leftist and alt right governments (calling peace when there is no peace- controlling media and free speech); and hateful religions (look what the Talmud and Qur'an teach - you are in for a shock!).  Unfortunately it is not just Islam who wants to rule the entire earth by fighting with literal weapons and killing all in their path  - it is also subtle secret organizations which are also religiously and ideologically inspired; and political involvement by most religions on earth - some are riding the beast....even controlling the UN; and millions of people who are 'awakened' or "illuminated" today - having a façade of spirituality which is controlled by secret agendas...... Spiritism is rife and escalating in many countries with druids, witches, spells, magic and 'muti '(medicines made from children or animals).  

So the slave is teaching us to keep "neutral"; clean, safe and in expectation while in the love of Jehovah".  This they understand 100%. In the eyes of the world we are nuts - like when Moses lead the Israelites into what seemed to be a trap! But this neutrality is very important so that we do not take sides... to keep in love and peace during the conclusion of the end. This neutrality stand tells me I have the truth!.......in the face of all people ready to take sides! It is natural to want to rectify something which is wrong - to become and activist... for a cause one thinks to be righteous!  Some are falling for this trap and helping certain organizations and paying the penalty for it!

Most people will be in support of some sort of killing of others when the time of the end comes... taking matters in fierceness into their own hands. It is the propaganda of demons (using media no doubt) which are going out to the earth - blinding all -  and gathering them together for Armageddon.... when brother will kill brother.  (note: What made very nice German people kill innocent people or stand back and do nothing or support the killing?  It was an ideology/a philosophical way of thinking which gave the 'justification' for it.  Mankind has not learnt its lessons from the past ... we are going the same way again .....just on a much grander scale!

The new age groups sound all "spiritual" - but what secret organizations are lying behind their teachings?  The new post-modernist philosophies which are touted by the far left - who say that all religions are good and there is no right or wrong and who have rejected the Bible and want to destroy it - who is behind this? The alt-right are openly a bunch of killers. One gets a shock once one discovers who have the purse strings to the world and who have control of the media.... Yes satan is blinding the eyes of many. The Bible is now a book ( and soon will) carry the scorn of most worldly people.  

Yet - we have time to waste to shift the meanings of words and dates.  It is not going to change the responsibility of the commission given to us to preach the kingdom and teach the qualities necessary to maintain neutrality and stay innocent /uninvolved of the wickedness of the earth. There is a time for everything - and now is the time to obey - and preach. Buy out the opportune time!  Leave the OCD.... behind and use the time to preach!  Preaching will save you as Rom 10 says.

To me - I see the birth pains are getting more intense.  Jehovah does nothing without giving us some indication of where we stand in the space of  time.  He is a loving father .  We have seen the wars and the RUMORS (media) of wars BUT this is not the end yet.  So these signs should get us ready for what is waiting ahead of us. We have rumors of wars, more earth quakes, potentially more serious diseases than the 1918 influenza - (although this was a killer-illness on a massive scale. ) 

'Security' is an issue as far-left and far-right take matters into their own hands (and do not forget that the far left is supporting islam, and cultural marxism.  There are many forms of supremacism (check out islam and Zionism).  So which are going to prevail and fill the void when problems erupt?  We will find out when it happens.  At moment China is posturing; Russia is posturing,  USA and Turkey are posturing (showing their iron) while many other countries are placating the humanists and humanitarians (clay). 

All this is a cooking pot which possibly could suddenly explode - the longer it cooks the bigger the explosion - all at once! It will be a sudden decision to turn against religion and call for peace and security!  They will use the weapon arsenals they have and whatever means they have during this time.   There will be a period of the eye of the storm (similar to what happened in Jerusalem in 70AD -  a respite) - this is when we bring the message of wrath with the possibility of losing our lives!

This will be a sign from Jehovah and maybe other signs which will make the nations turn on us in hate. The end will happen as fast as a vase is falling!  

The buildup is happening as we speak! So -the major signs have been!  It is now the time of propaganda of Satan Rev 16:14-16

• Views 44.3k
  • Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Even before C.T.Russell was born, commentaries on Bible prophecy included  dozens of potential dates. Nearly 200 years ago, a couple of them even included 1914 as potentially significant time period.

WAITING… AND FIGHTING ARchiv@L, I appreciate your advice. Very laconic, but appropriate. Only to develop a little further my attitude, let me mention David example in, perhaps, the most difficult pa

(Luke 12:47, 48) . . .Then that slave who understood the will of his master but did not get ready or do what he asked will be beaten with many strokes. But the one who did not understand and yet did t

Posted Images

42 months is 3 and half years..... and it is 1260 days.  This is the equivalent of 30 days per month.  A biblical Jewish month was 30 days (so the  bible is consistent regarding this).

Daniel spoke of seven periods - regarding the fall of the tree and the new growth of the king on the throne of Juda....

30 days X 84 months (7 years) is 2,520 years.       607BCE  to 1913 is 2,520 years.   There is no year zero - so you add a year= 1914 AD

The sacred secret of the Last Days are only given to those whom already proven their faith in Jehovah and are willing to submit themselves to the appointed King of God's Kingdom.  The sign given by Jesus was to reveal his presence in Kingdom power.  The epiphany is the manifestation of his presence.  

15 hours ago, Arauna said:

Today the buildup of hate and spiritism in all spheres of the earth is tremendous.  Far-left to far-right fascist groups;  black and white racism in Africa and America; tribal divisions; Shia and Sunni divisions; leftist and alt right governments (calling peace when there is no peace- controlling media and free speech); and hateful religions (look what the Talmud and Qur'an teach - you are in for a shock!).  Unfortunately it is not just Islam who wants to rule the entire earth by fighting with literal weapons and killing all in their path  - it is also subtle secret organizations which are also religiously and ideologically inspired; and political involvement by most religions on earth - some are riding the beast....even controlling the UN; and millions of people who are 'awakened' or "illuminated" today - having a façade of spirituality which is controlled by secret agendas...... Spiritism is rife and escalating in many countries with druids, witches, spells, magic and 'muti '(medicines made from children or animals).  

I've never liked to use 2 Timothy 3:1-5 in the ministry. If the one you're speaking with disagrees that those verses apply more now than at any time in the past, there's not much you can do about it. It's subjective.

Until recently. As far as I'm concerned, the turmoil following the 2016 election in the U.S. is a godsend for illustrating how those verses apply. The left and the right scream at each other nightly, and media is interested in little else. The meaning of 'fierce,' 'not open to any agreement,' 'headstrong' has never been so starkly displayed as it is now.

After a recent blow-up at a news conference with the POTUS, CBS devoted 100% of their Evening News on coverage of who was the most extreme - the alt right or alt left. Had Putin himself delivered nukes to the White House, one under each arm, he would not have received greater coverage. 

15 hours ago, Arauna said:

There is a time for everything - and now is the time to obey - and preach. Buy out the opportune time! 

Absolutely. It is all tanking as Scripture says it will. Don't get sucked in. Don't get diverted from what really is enduring and good.

Current screaming between groups and counter-groups also brings into relief the purpose of Matthew 24:14. The good news is preached "as a witness."

The occasional person may be snatched from the fire, but, as people lose all ability to reason, "as a witness" is increasingly the best you can hope for. Few seem able to think. They stake out a position based upon self-interest or emotion, and then go search for some 'experts' to back them up.

On 8/16/2017 at 5:48 PM, Arauna said:

42 months is 3 and half years..... and it is 1260 days.  This is the equivalent of 30 days per month.  A biblical Jewish month was 30 days (so the  bible is consistent regarding this).

Daniel spoke of seven periods - regarding the fall of the tree and the new growth of the king on the throne of Juda....

30 days X 84 months (7 years) is 2,520 years.       607BCE  to 1913 is 2,520 years.   There is no year zero - so you add a year= 1914 AD

Now who's going back to Russell? :)

The Bible might be consistent, but we aren't. We don't believe the 1,260 days means exactly 1,260 days in the fulfillment of any prophecy about the 1,260 days. (in either Daniel or Revelation). Also we don't teach that 1,260 days means 1,260 years in either of of those prophecies.

Also, a Biblical Jewish month was not thirty days. A Biblical Jewish month was always based on the "new moon." So that it was really 29.5 days long. This means that in practice there were six 30-day months, and six 29-day months every year. A 30-day month was only used as a way to give a close approximation to a range of months, a calculation from a starting point to an ending point. For example, the distance from the 17th of the 2nd month to the 17th of the 7th month was sometimes 146, sometimes 147, and sometimes 148 days. But because it is a multi-month span, the Bible rounds it off to 150 days. The distance from the 17th of the ninth month to the 17th of the 2nd month (of the following year) was sometimes 146, sometimes 147, sometimes 148, and sometimes 176, sometimes 177, and sometimes 178 days. The longer time periods over came up every 3 years or so, so if they are averaged in, then the average for a 4-year period using the ideal number of months in 4 years (48) would give often give you a 30.15 day month. So you can see why the 30 day month was useful for a quick approximate calculation of date ranges. 

That 30.15 day month average over 4 years, was still actually made up of months, where half of them were 29 days and half were 30 days. Here's a specific example that often happened. Each year was typically 354 days and every 2 to 3 years it could be 384 days, when an entire month was added for a leap year. So:

• 354+384+354+354 equals 1,446 days
  • Assuming 12 months a year, that's 48 months
  • Divide 1446 by 48 = 30.15
  • But it was really 49 months because there was one leap year in the mix:
    • 1446 divided by 49 = 29.51, which is the distance from one new moon to the next new moon.

So it should be clear why the Bible would use an average of 30 days to approximate a time span of 42 months as 42 x 30 = 1,260. In real life a real 42 month period was always  1,239 or 1,240 days. It was NEVER 1,260 days. But a 3.5 year period that was called 42 months, was actually a 43-month period (very rarely it was 44 months). Which means that the 3.5 year period was 1,269 days.

If you have worked in banking or finance, you probably know that we still use the 30 day month, and therefore the 360 day year in some financial calculations. It's one of the built in functions in Microsoft Excel. There is evidence, I'm told, that the Babylonians used it, too.

The DAYS360 function in Microsoft® Excel is used to calculate the number of days between two dates based on a 360-day year ...

image.jpeg

You may find these two sources helpful.

Sacha Stern, Calendars in Antiquity: Empires, States, and Societies, p. 193 f.

Jonathan Ben-Dov, The 364-day Year in the Dead Sea Scrolls and Jewish Pseudepigrapha

The earliest manuscripts of Daniel date to the 2nd century BCE, btw, as you probably already know.

The tl;dr version is that, when using the 360-day schematic year in calculating anything, you have to always remember to add on the 4 epagomenal days - i.e. the 2 solstices and 2 equinoxes - thereby making the year 364 days, which was the calendar the Jews used at the time.

So with 42 months (of 30 days each), you'd have to add on 3 x 4 epagomenal days = 12 days + another 2 epagomenal days for the 6 months left over which in total = 14 days to add to that schematic 1,260-day period, which comes to 1,274 days in those 42 months or 3.5 years.

16 hours ago, Arauna said:

Daniel certainly spoke of 7 periods. He did not, however, apply the fall and regrowth of the tree to the throne of Judah. He applied it solely to King Nebuchadnezzar (Dan. 4:22, 24, 28, 33).

10 minutes ago, Ann O'Maly said:

The tl;dr version is that, when using the 360-day schematic year in calculating anything, you have to always remember to add on the 4 epagomenal days - i.e. the 2 solstices and 2 equinoxes - thereby making the year 364 days, which was the calendar the Jews used at the time.

Don't know if you saw it, but I quickly edited out a line in that last post that said that the Jews had experimented with a calendar of 30-day months after they had lived in Babylon. I was thinking of a post you had made several months ago when I wrote that. But I edited this out for two reasons. One is that it would be difficult to explain how these 12x30=360 day years were actually calculated as 364 day years without getting into resources like Enoch, the DSS, and perhaps even the potentially late timing of Daniel. Another reason is that the Flood account in Genesis counts the 5 month range as 150 days, even though it would have been about 147 or 148 days using "new moons." This could also have been a late redaction but thought it was more likely a reference to the way that date ranges were commonly described.

I think there is some evidence that even though the Jews did experiment with "solar" 360 day calendars and 364 day calendars, that the 30-day month was referenced for practical reasons over ranges of dates, too. Even with a solar calendar we still do this because our own solar calendar today uses an average of 30.4375-day months. Describing a 3.5 year period as a 42 month period would involve an average of 30.125 days per month which is still pretty good for financial calculations, since there was typically only one leap year in the period. However, describing a 7-year period as 2,520 days (which the Bible NEVER does) would have involved a larger practical error since there would have been at least 2 and sometimes 3 leap years in that period.

I do agree, at least, with the idea that a 30-day month was considered the "ideal" month in the Jewish calendar, and played a part in referencing this number of days in Daniel, and Revelation of course, references the same because it is based primarily on Daniel. (Revelation was the unsealing of the scrolls that Daniel said would have to remained sealed until the last days.)

15 minutes ago, JW Insider said:

Don't know if you saw it, but I quickly edited out a line in that last post

No - didn't see that. But yes, I can understand why one might not want to stray into the murky waters of non-canonical texts and the potential late dating of Daniel lol.

19 minutes ago, JW Insider said:

Another reason is that the Flood account in Genesis counts the 5 month range as 150 days, even though it would have been about 147 or 148 days using "new moons."

148 or 149 if we add on the summer solstice. But yes, the Bible often uses rounded numbers.

21 minutes ago, JW Insider said:

"solar" 360 day calendars

It's not 'solar.' 360-day years are 'ideal' or 'schematic' - never 'solar.'

24 minutes ago, JW Insider said:

there was typically only one leap year in the period.

With a 354-day lunar-based calendar, yes.

26 minutes ago, JW Insider said:

However, describing a 7-year period as 2,520 days (which the Bible NEVER does) would have involved a larger practical error since there would have been at least 2 and sometimes 3 leap years in that period.

It's neither fish nor fowl. If 7 years are 2,520 days, then it's neither lunar-based nor solar-based and it's several days short of the 365.24219-day tropical year assumed in the 'day-for-a-year' conversion to get to 1914.

I am going back to the ancient Jewish Calendar because I used the word "biblical" above.  

I do not think that the average farmer on his little plot of land did all the calculations which I see above in great detail (for the pure love for detail) while the individual does not realize that the people who lived on the ground in ancient israel did not care or know about scholarship. It is easy to look back now and put your own view on things - but real life was not like that in ancient times. Yes they had their Levites and later the rabbinical teachers who looked after these calculations BUT....

An average Israelite farmer looked at the new moon to remind him of the festivals he had to attend that month and also for the planting season.  They had on average 30 days in the month and every fourth year when the seasons did not look right (because they were behind according to the sun calendar - the earth has it seasons as its turns around the sun) - they then put in the extra short month to tally the moon calendar up with the sun. 

Most cultures went with the moon calendar, so this calendar was prevalent and well-known to all. 30 days per month and then the 4th year had a small extra month.  The Jews were savvy about the planets but they were NOT allowed to go into future predictions (using the planets, moon and stars) like Babylon for instance (who used the sun calendar and did endless calculations for predictions).

Word of mouth and passing knowledge from one generation to another was the way things were done. So this is why the Bible does not stipulate 29. point (whatever the faction you mentioned) to describe the lunar month. It used (in all its consistent) writings in the bible - 30 days per month in all cases.  The extra DAY you speak off (which we now still put in every 4th year) is part of the SUN based calendar.

So either you accept the Bible as it presented things to the people as they were used in ancient times (30 days per month was their tradition and ALL references to months in the Bible have consistently given 30 days as the number)  - or you add you own brilliant calculations to the mixture with FRACTIONS and all - and the problem with this is: you will make yourself a god in your own myopic brilliance and reject what the Bible has to say about 30 days per month. (This was ancient tradition not modern life calculus on computers).

You either accept the Bible or you do not. God did not ask any of the prophets to write about a month as 29.....fraction, fraction...days .... so why even go there?   What is the motive? 

8 minutes ago, Arauna said:

I do not think that the average farmer on his little plot of land did all the calculations which I see above in great detail (for the pure love for detail) while the individual does not realize that the people who lived on the ground in ancient israel did not care or know about scholarship. It is easy to look back now and put your own view on things - but real life was not like that in ancient times. Yes they had their Levites and later the rabbinical teachers who looked after these calculations BUT....

An average Israelite farmer looked at the new moon to remind him of the festivals he had to attend that month and also for the planting season.

You are right. Of course they didn't do the calculations. It was up to the priests to declare the holidays. The peasants, farmers, fishermen, traders, etc., paid attention to the priests because they needed to know when at least 3 of the holidays occurred. Turns out it was surprisingly easy to second guess the priests, though. You could almost always get the calendar right in Jewish society even without a priest, and you'd probably never have to check with a priest but once every two or three years. But that wasn't a problem either because heads of households, sometimes with family members, traveled to Jerusalem up to three times a year to celebrate the major holidays in Jerusalem. The priests would already know if a leap year was going to be declared at the end of that particular year, and probably knew years in advance which years would require it. 

It was easy for everyone to tell when the new month started. You could never be more than one day off, and could usually guess it right even with a strong cloud cover for two or three days.

But I can tell you missed a couple of important points, if you really thought that anything said above meant that the farmer would need to do calculations.

32 minutes ago, Arauna said:

They had on average 30 days in the month

No. This isn't true. Jehovah is the one who gives us the average 29.5 days in a month, and it has always been exactly the same for thousands of years. So the new moon showed up every 29.5 days and they had to "round it off" based on whether they could see the new moon after sundown at the end of the month. This means that when they saw the new moon show up after the sun went down, they started counting that night until the next sundown as DAY 1. Then they could count off 29 days and know (by how small the sliver was getting) whether the new moon was going to occur the next sundown or if it might take until the day after. 

(1 Samuel 20:18) . . .Jonʹa·than then said to him: “Tomorrow is the new moon,. . .

If it was obvious it was going to happen the next evening, then they wouldn't even have to watch, because that next evening started DAY 1 of the following month, and the month they were in just had 29 days. Because the current month had 29 days, the next month was going to have 30 days. Because that next month would have 30 days then the month after was clearly going to have 29 days. The new moons are going to be seen like that for many months in a row. The pattern could go on almost forever:

29+30+29+30+29+30+29+30+29+30+29+30

That's why you can say that the year had 254 days, and that the average month was 29.5 days.

Because the pattern was so obvious, the highest priest in charge of such things, could declare that a certain 29 day month was going to have 30 days, but this would force an extra 29 day month into that same year. If they wanted to force a regular 30 day month to have only 29, then they would have to force an extra 30 day month into the year. Because the average is not precisely 29.5 they had another reason to declare an extra 30 day month after several years, without a 29 day month. This is one reason that the month added every leap year (Adar) could always be a 30 day month. Instead of the "plain" month of Adar, they would add a 30 day Adar I and call the next month Adar II.

The Jewish calendar, however, coordinates all three of these astronomical phenomena. Months are either 29 or 30 days, corresponding to the 29½-day lunar cycle. Years are either 12 or 13 months, corresponding to the 12.4 month solar cycle.

The lunar month on the Jewish calendar begins when the first sliver of moon becomes visible after the dark of the moon.

The above quote is from "Judaism 101" on http://www.jewfaq.org/calendar.htm

But the pattern was so easily learned that anyone, even a completely illiterate farmer, could know the next 12 months just by knowing the day that the New Year was declared. He would never be more than one day off from Jerusalem's count for the entire 12 months.

1 hour ago, Arauna said:

and every fourth year when the seasons did not look right (because they were behind according to the sun calendar - the earth has it seasons as its turns around the sun) - they then put in the extra short month to tally the moon calendar up with the sun. 

Two ideas from this sentence are wrong:

• It was not an extra short month, in fact it was almost always a 30 day month, rather than a 29 day month.
  • It was not every fourth year. The year of 12 lunar months had 354 days which was about 11.25 days shy of a solar year. So after only 3 of these years, they would already be nearly 34 days behind the sun, more than a full month off. So they needed to add a full month, every 3 years, and even this left them short by 4 days to make up a whole solar year. So a couple times every 19 years they even needed to add a full, long month every 2 years. A typical solution that developed was to add the extra month every 3rd, 6th, 8th, 11th, 14th, 17th, and 19th year of every 19 year cycle. That's 7 times every 19 years, or every 2.7 years on average. It was a full, long month in every case.
1 hour ago, Arauna said:

You either accept the Bible or you do not. God did not ask any of the prophets to write about a month as 29.....fraction, fraction...days .... so why even go there?   What is the motive? 

Since you asked. The motive is truth and accuracy and defense of the Bible. Also it's out of love for people, and the fact that a lot of people don't understand this and begin to believe that if you try to tell the truth then you must not be accepting the Bible. This results in unnecessary judgmentalism and sometimes even rejection of obvious truth. We should always be aware of this when we can, and always tell the truth about such things. Also, I believe you will find that the Watchtower accepts every bit of what I just said above as true. You may even find that the same persons who down-vote these posts where they do not LIKE the facts, already understand that these are still the facts. A down-vote without a defense is evidence to me that the point was probably made clearly enough.

So please tell me HOW this proves the Bible to be INCORRECT -  which in every instance gives a ROUNDED number of 30 days for a month (so 29 days or 30 days does not really matter because the Bible ONLY  refers to 30 days in a month) - a BIBLICAL month......  Rev 11:2+3.....(42 months is 1260 days).  Weeping for 30 days - is a month, they mourned Moses for 30 days. The month was counted from new moon till new moon - and the days that Noah counted are given as 5 months to be 150 days. All are consistent.  So if Jehovah wanted us to count a Biblical/or prophetic month as 30 rounded days - then so be it.   Your claim that you are defending the "Bible" is only a claim.    

The formal moon calendar was only set in stone some years after Jesus.  So today - we can speculate on the various methods they used to reconcile the year made up of 29/30-day moon-months with the solar year. None of us were there ........and be careful of Rabbinical writings.......go find out more about the 'holy' Mishnah/Talmud and "most holy" Kabbalah........you are in for a nasty shock!       When in doubt - I stick with the Bible.

So, all this speculation and calculations still does not CHANGE the words in the bible which refers to a month ONLY as 30 days. Why did Jehovah not object to this being written down by his inspired writers of the scripture when he knew it is not absolutely accurate in the minutest detail? .... it was to have consistency when we work out prophecies - because as you rightly showed - the moon calendar has its inconsistencies.

1 hour ago, Arauna said:

So please tell me HOW this proves the Bible to be INCORRECT -  which in every instance gives a ROUNDED number of 30 days for a month (so 29 days or 30 days does not really matter because the Bible ONLY  refers to 30 days in a month) - a BIBLICAL month

We're not saying the Bible is incorrect for giving rounded numbers. Rounded numbers are easier to remember. The fact however remains that, astronomically if the Hebrews had a lunar-based calendar, their months would run from "new moon to new moon" as indicated in Isa. 66:23*. New moon to new moon averages at 29.5 days. As @JW Insider said, the month lengths had to alternate (although not necessarily in a strict 30-29-30-29 pattern).

Problems arise with regard to people's interpretations of prophetic numbers - especially when they want to convert rounded or schematic months and days into solar years, in which case, a 360-day schematic year is magically converted into 360 solar years of 365.24219 days each! The method is inconsistent and there is no scriptural warrant to convert '7 times' into 2,520 years in the first place.

* Also see Isa. 1:13,14 and Amos 8:5 which show the importance of new moon festivals in ancient Hebrew culture.

2 hours ago, Arauna said:

The formal moon calendar was only set in stone some years after Jesus.

It was formalized in Exodus.