The World News Media

ALL aspects of 1914 doctrine are now problematic from a Scriptural point of view

JW Insider

• Views 44.8k
  • Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Even before C.T.Russell was born, commentaries on Bible prophecy included  dozens of potential dates. Nearly 200 years ago, a couple of them even included 1914 as potentially significant time period.

WAITING… AND FIGHTING ARchiv@L, I appreciate your advice. Very laconic, but appropriate. Only to develop a little further my attitude, let me mention David example in, perhaps, the most difficult pa

(Luke 12:47, 48) . . .Then that slave who understood the will of his master but did not get ready or do what he asked will be beaten with many strokes. But the one who did not understand and yet did t

Posted Images

3 hours ago, 4Jah2me said:

I think i can remember JWI saying that the GB were 'backing off' (my phrase) from the 1914 teachings. I even think I remember him quoting how many times, per year, that it was used in W/t mags. Hence when i saw it in this fairly new W/t i was surprised. 

It is not emphasized as much, but that doesn't mean that the teaching is gone. Removing this teaching altogether would be a huge undertaking. It is not specifically mentioned as much in the Watchtower, or in most of the study publications. It has moved to a smaller coverage in an "appendix" of a major publication that once had a chapter that defended it. My point was not that it is about to be dropped completely. I would never expect to see 1914 completely dropped before 2035, and even you believe that the end may come before that year.

What I would expect is a few more parables and prophecies that have been tied to 1914, which will soon be tied to years like 33 CE, 70 C.E., around 100 C.E., 1919 C.E., perhaps even dates between 2013 and 2020 based on re-emphasis on the King of the North, new threats, new signs, etc. A few changes in this direction have already been made in the last few years. The doubled generation solves the biggest problem for most, but the "back-pocket" idea that 120 years from 1914 = 2034 will not be specifically discounted until that date is passed. At that point, assuming this system is still in place, a revisit of the doubled generation will seem flimsy even though it could technically carry the doctrine out for another few decades beyond 2034.

We've had years where 1914 was mentioned in dozens of different places in the same year, but I expect those days are already gone. Two or three times a year is about all we can expect now because it no longer has an upbuilding, encouraging effect, even if it is true. 

14 hours ago, Outta Here said:

Maybe Jehovah is allowing time for a faithless "generation" to die off before entering the promised land???

Well I had thought that from 1975 until 2015. 40 years in the wilderness. :) But i was wrong of course. 

As for @JW Insider's comment. Your heading of this topic seemed quite firm.  But if I say any more you will just call me a troll.  And yes I think Armageddon will be here within less than 10 years now and hopefully I will not be alive to see it. 

These kind of discussions remind me of what Jesus said about his return to execute judgement:

Luke 21:35: "For it WILL come upon ALL those dwelling on the face of the WHOLE earth"

So for me, discussions painting scenarios about the correct procession of events and who has the right dates and where we are in the stream of time are at the same time interesting and tedious, depending on the ingenuity and originality of the proposer.

Early on, prior to 1975, an old brother (Glaswegian) said to me, "Ye'll hear a lot of talk about when things will or will not happen. Take my word for it laddie, your Armageddon came the day you dedicated your life to Jehovah. Stick with it!"

And on another occasion around the same time, 1974ish, an old sarcastic, worldly friend said to me that he looked forward to meeting me in 1976 so he could laugh in my face over another failed prediction. My response? "I sincerely hope you will"

Date arguments to me are basically... Quixotic.

"And on another occasion around the same time, 1974ish, an old sarcastic, worldly friend said to me that he looked forward to meeting me in 1976 so he could laugh in my face over another failed prediction. My response? "I sincerely hope you will"

Date arguments to me are basically... Quixotic."

Yes, but the more failed predictions from any organisation would make any person have less trust in that organisation and it's leaders. So false predictions become stumbling blocks. 

AUGUST 2020 STUDY WATCHTOWER.  STUDY Article 31

12 Like Abraham, we are awaiting the city having real foundations. We are not waiting for it to be built, however. God’s Kingdom was established in 1914 and has already taken complete control of heaven. 

There it is again. So it is being mentioned in current Watchtowers. This is the study edition for September 28th through November 1st 2020.

Add to this paragraph 17

World events clearly show that we are in the final part of the last days of this system of things. 

Whereas the true scripture says at Matthew 24 from verse 4 through verse 8 

Jesus answered: “Watch out that no one deceives you. For many will come in my name, claiming, ‘I am the Messiah,’ and will deceive many.  You will hear of wars and rumors of wars, but see to it that you are not alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come.  Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in various places.  All these are the beginning of birth pains. 

Why can't the GB and the CCJW / Watchtower just stick to facts ? Why do they need to hype it up ?

It is because they are trying to get more people in to the Org under false pretences, to get more money from people in donations. To give the GB more power over more people. It is so sad, so dishonest and so much against God and Christ. 

All I can say it that we must love the people; keep honing your skills, as we are being taught at the meetings. Use the telephone and any other safe methods to reach more people.  When I was in Trinidad an old Chinese sister who was a pioneer (she died a couple of years ago) would say: " God is not going to kill any sheep.  So if you want the end to come keep preaching."  Jesus also used to say: "The good news of the Kingdom has to be preached first." The owner of the symbolic vineyard is Jehovah God, and jointly his Son, Jesus.  They are the ones that know when it will have been preached sufficiently.

I will also again add what Jesus said in Acts 1:7, below:

*** Bible Citations ***
6 So when they had assembled, they asked him: “Lord, are you restoring the kingdom to Israel at this time?” 7 He said to them: “It does not belong to you to know the times or seasons that the Father has placed in his own jurisdiction. 8 But you will receive power when the holy spirit comes upon you, and you will be witnesses of me in Jerusalem, in all Ju·deʹa and Sa·marʹi·a, and to the most distant part of the earth.” 9 After he had said these things, while they were looking on, he was lifted up and a cloud caught him up from their sight. 

Also what he said at Matthew 24:36-42

36 “Concerning that day and hour nobody knows, neither the angels of the heavens nor the Son, but only the Father. 37 For just as the days of Noah were, so the presence of the Son of man will be. 38 For as they were in those days before the Flood, eating and drinking, men marrying and women being given in marriage, until the day that Noah entered into the ark, 39 and they took no note until the Flood came and swept them all away, so the presence of the Son of man will be. 40 Then two men will be in the field; one will be taken along and the other abandoned. 41 Two women will be grinding at the hand mill; one will be taken along and the other abandoned. 42 Keep on the watch, therefore, because you do not know on what day your Lord is coming. 43 “But know one thing: If the householder had known in what watch the thief was coming, he would have kept awake and not allowed his house to be broken into. 44 On this account, you too prove yourselves ready, because the Son of man is coming at an hour that you do not think to be it. "

As Rook would say: " It is crystal clear", we are not going to know when the end will come.  Jesus warned us that he will come at an hour that "YOU" (meaning his disciples/true Christians) do not think to be itAnd we know already why he is not going to say.

Keeping on the watch is good, but frightening people with all this "last hour of the last day of the last week of the time of the end" is not good. You cannot frighten people into serving God properly

Also what he said at Matthew 24:36-42

36 “Concerning that day and hour nobody knows, neither the angels of the heavens nor the Son, but only the Father. 

So why do the GB etc, pretend to know ? And why do they put so much emphasis on the "final part of the last days" when they really have no idea how much longer is left ? 

World conditions have been continuously getting worse and will continue to get worse. We have no idea just how bad they will be in the very last day. 

2 hours ago, Melinda Mills said:

they took no note until the Flood came and swep

They were in the ark for seven days before the rain started.  They understood that the rain would soon start.  The exact moment they did not know.

We can see the signs - but the day and hour is not clear.  The signs are there for us to remain ready.  Jehovah is loving and gives us signs.  He does not do anything without warning us. 

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.