The World News Media

The last photo of Hachikō, the dog who waited for his master's return each day for 9 years until he too passed away.

Guest Kurt

On 4/25/2019 at 8:18 AM, Indiana said:

@The Librarian @JW Insider @Claudia Sanchez could you please make another post since this went from  Hachiko to question the loyaly of an atheist or demons.

Good point. I thought it a bit jarring that a post about a dog turned so quickly to religious questions, so I checked to see what forum it was in. It was not in a general topic forum, but is in the "Jehovah's Witnesses" open forum, and therefore I'm guessing that this is going to be a typical occurrence. By that I mean almost any topic in a JW forum might be expected to turn towards a discussion of how that topic might fit with our beliefs and experiences among JWs.

I don't know how the owners and overall moderators feel, but I'm more concerned when a topic that has nothing to do with JWs and is not in a JW forum gets turned into a discussion of Witness beliefs. I'm guessing that's not what the owner(s) hoped for.

• Views 3.2k
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Anybody heard of poetic licence?  Def.  "The freedom to depart from the facts of a matter or from the conventional rules of language when speaking or writing in order to create an effect."

We are famously loyal. Here’s what happens to the home of whoever says we are not:

Yes. it is a sad fact that humans are not as loyal as dogs.

Posted Images

On 4/25/2019 at 2:22 AM, Outta Here said:

Even inanimate objects like the sun, moon, and stars can be spoken of as faithful, as they are in God's word (comp.Ps.89:37). But these things are not loyal.

The Sun, Moon and Stars are things without brain ,  so they can not be no faithful neither loyal. (only if we imagine that all what have some sort of energy on atomic level are not "dead things" and by that are able to show some attributes of Creator)   :))

FAITHFUL in UK:

firm and not changing in your friendship with or support for a person or an organization, or in your belief in your principles:

a faithful friend

They are faithful supporters of the Labour Party.

His faithful old dog accompanied him everywhere he went.

C2 If your husband, wife, or partner is faithful, he or she does not have a sexual relationship with anyone else:

Was your wife faithful during your marriage?

He was faithful to his wife throughout their 30-year marriage.

to continue to support or follow something:

He remained faithful to the regime when so many others spoke out against it.

Despite persecution, she remained faithful to her beliefs.

true or not changing any of the details,facts, style, etc. of the original:

She gave a faithful account of what had happened on that night.

I have tried to keep my translation as faithful as possible to the original book.

following a particular religion:

faithful Christians

faithful followers of Buddhism

someone who continues to support someone or something:

He gave a rousing speech to a room full of party faithfuls (= faithful supporters of a political party).

people who are always loyal to a particular group ororganization,  especially a political party:

They asked for donations from the party faithful.

the people who believe in aparticular religion:

We heard bells calling the faithful to prayer.

FAITHFUL in US:

trusted; loyal:

She has been a faithful employee for 30 years.

If something, such as a copy or recording, is faithful, it is exactly like or very similar to the original:

The painting was a faithful reproduction of theoriginal.

If you are faithful to someone or something, you remain loyal and keepthe promises you made:

You've been faithful to your family.

LOYAL in UK:

B2 firm and not changing in your friendship with or support for a person or anorganization, or in your belief in your principles:

Jack has been a loyal worker in this company for almost 50 years.

When all her other friends deserted her, Steve remained loyal.

She's very loyal to her friends.

COMMERCE, MARKETING              a loyal customer always buys the same product, uses the same store, etc.:

Supermarkets should reward their most loyal customers.

loyal to sb/sth Our customers remain loyal to the brand.

HR                                                       a loyal employee works for the same company for many years:

loyal to sb/sth Training programmes  encourage workers to remain loyal to their employers.

LOYAL in US: 

always giving help and encouragement:

People close to Woodruff are fiercely loyal and quick to shower her with superlatives.

7 minutes ago, Srecko Sostar said:

The Sun, Moon and Stars are things without brain ,  so they can not be no faithful neither loyal.

Ps.89:37:"Like the moon, it will be firmly established forever as a faithful witness in the skies.” 

Dictionary definitions and Bible definitions do not always concur.

3 hours ago, Outta Here said:
4 hours ago, Srecko Sostar said:

The Sun, Moon and Stars are things without brain ,  so they can not be no faithful neither loyal.

Ps.89:37:"Like the moon, it will be firmly established forever as a faithful witness in the skies.” 

This is where education is so very, very important ... because without education ... and experience ...it is impossible to even HAVE any common sense. There is a truck commercial here in the United states that (if memory serves) , declares that "Cheverolet Trucks are like a ROCK!"  It evokes a mental image of strength, but not being Fred Flintstone, I really do NOT want a truck that is like a rock.

I prefer a truck that operates like a truck, and is made, primarily of steel.

In English, " Ps.89:37:"Like the moon, it will be firmly established forever as a faithful witness in the skies.”  is called a "simile" ...things that evoke an image of similarity, even though they may have absolutely nothing in common.

Barring unforeseen circumstances that force events, it is my observations that a sane dog is in fact faithful, and loyal, to a sane master ... and sometimes even to one nuttier than a fruit cake. 

... and in my experience, there are more sane dogs than sane people

Common sense dictates that faithfulness and loyalty are the product of a thinking brain that has the capacity to choose to do otherwise.

But then again .... WDS is often the controlling factor, ... and common sense becomes not all that common.

( ..and as an aside... each year the Moon gets further away from the Earth by about an inch and a half, or 38mm, and  in about 50 billion years the Earth and Moon will be BOTH tidally locked to each other, both eternally facing each other, one side only, as the Moon is tidally locked to the Earth, today.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orbit_of_the_Moon )

Then, half the earth will NEVER see the moon, again.

And addressing some of JW Insider's concerns, ideas and memories are ATTACHED to each other ... and speaking of dogs does evoke religious ideas of faithfulness, and loyalty ... and hopefully not  rocks.

As an example, even though I know intellectually that there is absolutely no evidence whatsoever that there is a "Rainbow Bridge", my heart has faith that perhaps Jehovah's love for Humans will cause him to create one ... just as I am now constructing a chicken coop and chicken run,  that costs over a thousand dollars, for my wife's 20 pet week-old baby bantam chickens, which SHE  bought for one dollar each, now living in a kid's plastic swimming pool under a heat lamp, on our dining room table .... so my dogs cannot get to them.

... for the next MONTH.

.... sigh ......

Something I am happy to do ... although in my wildest imagination, I never planned on, or thought of.  Perhaps similar to Jehovah's love, and a "Rainbow Bridge" (?).

NOW .... we have a topic that includes Jehovah's Witnesses beliefs, hopes, expectations .... dogs... and CHICKENS!

2019-04-28_081609.png

1 hour ago, James Thomas Rook Jr. said:

is called a "simile"

There is a comparison in Ps.89:37, but the term "faithful" is not being used here specifically as a simile. It is being used as an adjective.

The moon (and its faithful adherence to its course), is being used as a simile to emphasise the reliabilty of Jehovah's covenant with David. The modern day perception of the indiosyncrasies of planetary movement are irrelevant to the point being made.

8 hours ago, Outta Here said:

There exists a reason why - making doctrines from poetry - is bad idea.

Another thing what is good to remember from time to time is: word forever, eternal in Bible not necessary holding idea of something that will never stop. :))

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.