The World News Media

Jehovah in English - Basic statement by Jehovah's Witnesses...

Queen Esther

• Views 3.1k
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Jehovah in English  -  Basic  statement  by  Jehovah's Witnesses: The Hebrew Name of God יהוה rendered generally as YHWH and thought to be pronounced in Hebrew something like Yahweh or perhaps Ya

This is picture of ancient letters in Hebrew and the bottom is the letters in Aramaic script - now used and recognized by everyone.    You will see far right letter (the short one) - this is Yod......

I visited a church in Sweden this weekend - massive church with tall glass windows..... and in the glass engraved is YOD HE WAW HE....  I took a picture but too unclear to paste here.   This church ha

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, Arauna said:

Very  good reasoning... is there any way i can save this to my profile so i can use it in field service?

We  have  different  possibilities  for  sharing,  Arauna.  Do  you  see  the  color - buttons  over  my  post ?  That  f  is  for  FB,  the  black  one  to  put  into  your  computer,  you  can  print  it,  also  per  email  and  still   more !  Go  with  your  mouse  on  the  white - cross  button,  you  will  see  a  little  window  with  many  possibiities....

I  can  bring  it  to  your  private  message  -  or  you  go  on  my  profile - page  and  click  on  to  follow  me,  like  just  now  71  other  Follower  on  my  page .....   then  you  get  daily  emais  from  my  postings  and  have  all  what  you  want.   Maybe  you  want  it  quickly,   I  try  bring  it  per  message  to  you.  On  your  profile  it  takes  too  much  place,  I  think !  Tell  me  when  you  got  it  please,  thank  you !

On 7/8/2017 at 7:53 PM, Queen Esther said:

11694853_785313758249178_2309718142665452879_n.jpg

Jehovah in English  -  Basic  statement  by  Jehovah's Witnesses

This article was very good, but the graphic is wrong.

At the top the statement is correct that Hebrew is read from right to left, but then the Hebrew letters in the graphic are written from left to right. This means that:

• the Hebrew letter just above the 1st 'He" (H) is actually not "He" but "Yod"
  • the Hebrew letter just above the "Vav" (V) is actually not "Vav" but "He"
  • the Hebrew letter just above the 2nd "He" (H) is actually not "He" but "Vav"
  • the Hebrew letter just above the "Vod" [sic] is actually not "Yod" but "He" 

Also, of course, there is no letter "Vod" where it should say "Yod"

Also, it is misleading to say at the top

• Jehovah (English)
  • Yehovah (Hebrew)

We don't have a good idea how "Jehovah" was pronounced in Hebrew, but we are almost positive that it would not have been pronounced "Yehovah."

Thanks for your comment, @JW Insider  Seems so, you have a little knowledge in the Hebrew language...  Its not so easy to translate Hebrew. The name Jehovah has many spellings, we all know that. In Germany, we write Jehova, without the h...  In many countries, Jehovah has another spelling and in the past more different ! The most humans don't know the Hebrew language. But a good explanation may help. Thank you :)

330px-Tetragrammaton_scripts.svg.pngThis is picture of ancient letters in Hebrew and the bottom is the letters in Aramaic script - now used and recognized by everyone.    You will see far right letter (the short one) - this is Yod.......  they have it other way round on your diagram like "mirror image" because they think western people read from left... to right - this is why it is like it is.

As I said before - these four letters have the same meaning no matter what vowels you add.  If you add vowels it changes to a verb or noun or adjective..... but the meaning is basically the same.  So it does not really matter what vowels you put in .... it is the use of the name and acknowledging the name that is important. Jehovah chose this name because it has significant meaning in the outworking of his purpose  as the creator.  It is the causative form for "He causes to become" ...  He can fulfill his promises... he can prove to be by his actions....

Hope this de-confuses you...and thanks for sending the other stuff.....

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.