The World News Media

13-year-old Janessa's father holds memorial service at Rogers Middle School

Guest Nicole

Guest Nicole

A4S_vigil072317b_19688757_8col.jpg

RIVERVIEW — About 100 people sat in the tile-floored multipurpose room Saturday at Rodgers Middle School where Janessa Shannon once sat as a student.

Assistant principal Meredith Scribner told the crowd, all dressed in the 13-year-old's favorite color — blue — that there were times during Janessa's time at Rodgers Middle that she would take the blame for things she didn't do to keep her friends out of trouble.

She was loyal, Scribner said, and didn't want to see those for whom she cared hurting.

But now those close to the teen are left with unanswered questions and immeasurable pain. The Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office announced last week that Janessa's body was found decomposing in a nature preserve not far from her father's Riverview home. She was reported missing July 3.

Few details about the homicide investigation have been released, and no arrests have been made.

"My prayers are for each and every one of you," Scribner told the crowd at the memorial service, "to allow yourself to grieve without letting this monstrous act destroy you."

Near the front of the stage next to a collage of photos of Janessa sat a turquoise-colored urn. Her father, Nahshon Shannon, sat in the front row wearing a butterfly pinned to his blue dress shirt. Despite his daughter's tomboyish charm, she loved butterflies, the family said.

Shannon walked up on stage and used the lectern to steady himself before speaking.

Janessa's 14th birthday, he said, would have been in about two weeks, on Aug. 8. He thought back to the day she was born. It was raining, he said, and he'd just worked a 16-hour day.

"I was so excited to see my daughter, my first child," he said. "There was nothing more beautiful in this world."

When he rested his eyes on her for the first time, he saw his face in hers. He joked she was his "clone."

Shannon and his family organized the memorial separate from a vigil Janessa's mother, Michelle Mosley, held a week ago in Manatee County. Mark Sanders, a relative of Shannon and an elder of the Jehovah's Witnesses, led the afternoon service.

Sanders led the group in prayer and read prepared remarks about the 13-year-old known for her striking and big brown eyes. She wanted to be a veterinarian. She loved cats and horses. She didn't care that she wasn't the best dancer and danced anyway. She sang, too, and had a crush on pop star Bruno Mars.

She was described as a precise speaker with a shy spirit.

"Her smile would radiate with happiness," Sanders said. "Her father, Nahson, made a comment that the hardest part is not physically not seeing her, but that she will never walk back through the door."

Janessa's father allowed reporters to attend the event, but he and his family declined interviews. Hillsborough County sheriff's officials have said the father stopped cooperating with them and has retained a lawyer.

After Saturday's service, Shannon sobbed in the arms of family members.

"I promised I'd be there to protect her, love her," he said while on stage. "My baby is not here. Someone took her from me."

He said he wanted her back, but knew that couldn't happen.

Instead, he cried, "I just want justice for my daughter."

Contact Sara DiNatale at sdinatale@tampabay.com. Follow @sara_dinatale.

13-year-old Janessa's father holds memorial service at Rogers Middle School 07/22/17 [Last modified: Saturday, July 22, 2017 9:11pm] 

http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/crime/13-year-old-janessas-father-holds-memorial-service-at-rogers-middle-school/2331202#

• Views 1.3k
  • Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Popular Days

Posted Images

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Popular Contributors

• Topics

• … and donchew forget now … the GB now allows Sisters to come to meetings and go out in field service in slacks or Mumus.  Or slacks AND Mumus, if poundage appropriate. Did I ever mention I once dated a Sister that made Mumus out of parachutes? She was an Opera singer, and had a UN diplomatic passport. She was on “speed”, couldn’t blink, and typed 600 words a minute with 100% errors. Occasionally she would get lipstick in her eyebrows.  
    • In my perspective, when the Smithsonian Magazine covers a topic, I am inclined to trust their expertise. As for the shadows here, I see no benefit in entertaining irrational ideas from others. Let them hold onto their own beliefs. We shouldn't further enable their self-deception and misleading of the public.  
    • Hey Self! 🤣I came across this interesting conspiracy theory. There are scholars who firmly believe in the authenticity of those artifacts. I value having conversations with myself. The suggestion of a mentally ill person has led to the most obscure manifestation of a group of sorrowful individuals. 😁
    • I have considered all of their arguments. Some even apply VAT 4956 to their scenarios, which is acceptable. Anyone can use secular evidence if they genuinely seek understanding. Nonetheless, whether drawing from scripture or secular history, 607 is a plausible timeframe to believe in. People often misuse words like "destruction", "devastation", and "desolation" in an inconsistent manner, similar to words like "besiege", "destroy", and "sack". When these terms are misapplied to man-made events, they lose their true meaning. This is why with past historians, the have labeled it as follows: First Capture of Jerusalem 606 BC Second Capture of Jerusalem 598 BC Third Capture of Jerusalem 587 BC Without taking into account anything else.  Regarding the second account, if we solely rely on secular chronology, the ancient scribes made military adaptations to align with the events recorded in the Babylonian Chronicles. However, the question arises: Can we consider this adaptation as accurate?  Scribes sought to include military components in their stories rather than focusing solely on biblical aspects. Similarly, astronomers, who were also scholars, made their observations at the king's request to divine omens, rather than to understand the plight of the Jewish people. Regarding the third capture, we can only speculate because there are no definitive tablets like the Babylonian chronicles that state 598. It is possible that before the great tribulation, Satan will have influenced someone to forge more Babylonian chronicles in order to discredit the truth and present false evidence from the British Museum, claiming that the secular view was right all along. This could include documents supposedly translated after being found in 1935, while others were found in the 1800s. The Jewish antiquities authorities have acknowledged the discovery of forged items, while the British Museum has not made similar acknowledgments. It is evident that the British Museum has been compelled to confess to having looted or stolen artifacts which they are unwilling to return. Consequently, I find it difficult to place my trust in the hands of those who engage in such activities. One of the most notable instances of deception concerning Jewish antiquities was the widely known case of the ossuary belonging to James, the brother of Jesus. I was astonished by the judge's inexplicable justification for acquittal, as it was evident that his primary concern was preserving the reputation of the Jewish nation, rather than unearthing the truth behind the fraudulent artifact. The judge before even acknowledged it. "In his decision, the judge was careful to say his acquittal of Golan did not mean the artifacts were necessarily genuine, only that the prosecution had failed to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Golan had faked them." The burden of proof is essential. This individual not only forged the "Jehoash Tablet," but also cannot be retried for his deceit. Why are they so insistent on its authenticity? To support their narrative about the first temple of Jerusalem. Anything to appease the public, and deceive God. But then again, after the Exodus, when did they truly please God? So, when it comes to secular history, it's like a game of cat and mouse.  
  • Members

• Recent Status Updates

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Techredirector

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.