The World News Media

Why do Jehovah's Witnesses not celebrate Valentine's Day?

Jack Ryan

• 1 year later...

• Views 7.6k
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Jehovah's Witnesses only formally celebrate the one event that Jesus commanded his followers. The memorial of his death (1 Cor. 11:23-26). They also celebrate other events which are referred to f

Valentine can keep his day.

Engineer's Week is the week in which George Washington, reputedly a land surveyor as well as other stuff, has his birthday ( although quite dead) celebrated.

Feb 22 defines "National Engineers Week" here in the USA, and I ignore that also.

When you survey a piece of property, the coordinates you start out with, after you have calculated points all the way around, should be very close to the coordinates you end up with, when you return to the point of beginning.

I had occasion to calculate the perimeter of one of his  farm "surveys".

Instead of being a closed polygon, the thing calculated out to look like a horse shoe.

Cupid probably occasionally arrowed a cow, too.

10 hours ago, Matthew9969 said:

Modern day pagans breath air when they are praying to their false gods. Jw's should stop breathing.

Funny you should mention that .... when I was a teenager I used to SCUBA dive, and  also would test myself to see how long I could hold my breath without breathing.  

Under controlled conditions in a pool, my limit was 5 minutes and 43 seconds, and as my head bobbed up and down with my relaxed body and face submerged, I could hear people watching say "He must be breathing through his ears."

Anyway ... we used to have a "Tuesday Night Bookstudy " at some Brother's or Sister's home', which opened and closed with prayer ... and the ending prayer was much longer ... so I got the idea to see if I could hold my breath for the duration of the prayer.

As I perceived the prayer coming up, I would begin hyperventilating, and lock down when the prayer started. 

The prayer took us on a tour of the Universe, sins, things we were thankful for, petitions to God for a considerable list of things, etc, and by the time we got to the "Amen", my lungs felt like they were about to burst.

When everybody else said "Amen", I went "HAHHHhhhHHhhhaaa" in a voluminous exhalation, which surprised everyone ... and they gave me "the look".

I did this for perhaps several months, until I got tired of it .... then some Elder asked me about it ... and I said "HAHHHhhhHHhhhaaa"  was Japanese for "Amen".

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.